Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Gonz posted:

The future is going to suck if we do away with pro sports and TV shows and movies and replace them all with theatrical plays and violin concertos.

We'll always have Parrises Squares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

skasion posted:

We'll always have Parrises Squares

And Anbo-jitsu, I suppose.

The Federation just really liked certain aspects of American Gladiators, it would seem.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Let's not forget whatever sort of yoga/pilates which exclusively involved Troi and Crusher stretching in leotards

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Gonz posted:

The future is going to suck if we do away with pro sports and TV shows and movies and replace them all with theatrical plays and violin concertos.

The last pro sport to be abolished was water polo in 2175.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

There's also playing Damjat for latinum. And stabbing people in the heart when they cheat you at Damjat

Ah yes, damjat. Also known as "boring pinball billiards".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

In the future we will be challenged to foosball by orcs

TO THE DEATH

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

CharlieWhiskey posted:

The last pro sport to be abolished was water polo in 2175.
I forget, was water polo actually supposed to be a big thing in the 22nd century, or was it just Archer who was weirdly into it?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

How was he weirdly into it? He was a water polo fan, that's all. Sisko was into a sport nobody played anymore, that's way weirder.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Baseball was probably the lamest game made up for Star Trek. Everyone just stands around while two people play with a stick and a ball. What kind of sport is that?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Cojawfee posted:

Baseball was probably the lamest game made up for Star Trek. Everyone just stands around while two people play with a stick and a ball. What kind of sport is that?

Cricket confirmed 50% better

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Cricket confirmed 50% better

Cricket is like baseball without the fast-paced intensity.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
That's it! I'm done with you guys' bad opinions! I just got me some vintage bad opinions!

Hopefully I can find something as gloriously terrible as "Indiana Skywalker Meets the Son of Star Trek" from my Best of the Best of Trek collection. If you don't know that one, it was a post-WoK essay about how terrible that movie was, how incompatible it was with the utopian ideals of the series, how it was all spectacle threatening to turn Star Trek into something as dumb and violent as Star Wars, and heaping praise upon TMP. If I can find the full text online, I'll post a link.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Apollodorus posted:

Cricket is like baseball without the fast-paced intensity.

Sure thing mate, this was exactly what Piers Morgan said absout cricket until Brett Lee fractured his ribs with a fastbowl just to prove a point

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Sure thing mate, this was exactly what Piers Morgan said absout cricket until Brett Lee fractured his ribs with a fastbowl just to prove a point

Some of the most exciting sport I've seen ended with 3 maidens in a row and resulted in a draw

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

How was he weirdly into it? He was a water polo fan, that's all. Sisko was into a sport nobody played anymore, that's way weirder.
Well, weird in the sense that it was a random choice for a sport for someone to be a big fan of. I'm sure water polo fans exist, I've just never met any. Fair point on Sisko.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Lord Hydronium posted:

Well, weird in the sense that it was a random choice for a sport for someone to be a big fan of. I'm sure water polo fans exist, I've just never met any. Fair point on Sisko.

I like that, though. It's not fake like domjot or whatever, and it's not the same sports super popular today. Its goofy volleyball in a pool, and I'm cool with that.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tighclops posted:

The fact that they immediately announced "but we got that guy from those Marvel movies you stupid nerds like for the next one!" leaves me with the impression that they still don't know what to do with the franchise and will flail for as long as they think they can still milk it; they may honestly just keep going until one of them bombs completely

I figure once Pine leaves, that'll be it for several years if not more.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Pwnstar posted:

Btw I've decided to finally settle the debate on the best Star Trek moment. It's this:

I literally have this picture hanging from my lanyard every day. I did not take the "hang a picture of a loved one on your badge lanyard, so you remember who you're working safely for" seriously

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I like that, though. It's not fake like domjot or whatever, and it's not the same sports super popular today. Its goofy volleyball in a pool, and I'm cool with that.
Future sci-fi universes need more handball.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
It looks like Data is rockin that jazz piano

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Riker's getting real friendly with that chair.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I wonder how many times Riker broke his chair

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Lord Hydronium posted:

Jai alai

...in SPAAAAAACE

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

3 maidens in a row

?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I figure once Pine leaves, that'll be it for several years if not more.

Nah, you can just get Jason Statham as Picard.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gonz posted:

Don't forget Dixon Hill, Not-Sinatra, and Not-Flash Gordon.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I'm rewatching TNG the for the first time in years and wow season 1 is rough. It's so old fashioned with its musical cues and episode structure, including a scene at the end of several episodes where the bridge crew all laughs together as it fades out to the credits.

I haven't watched season 1 or 2 since the show originally aired and it's really jarring.

But at least they aren't pulling their shirts down every 5 seconds.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I have TNG on while I work on some things. It took me a few horrible seconds to remember that after Elementary, Dear Data the next episode is the Nutrageous Okona.

Season one is bad, but season 2 is wildly uneven.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

8one6 posted:

the Nutrageous Okona.

Probably would have been a better title

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Lord Hydronium posted:

Beloved Bajoran pastime SPRINGBALL

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

On over (a set of 6 deliveries from the same bowler) without a scoring shot in them are called maidens for reasons that should be obvious

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

On over (a set of 6 deliveries from the same bowler) without a scoring shot in them are called maidens for reasons that should be obvious

Well, sure, but it's the Star Trek thread, so I had to make the Roddenberry connection.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
You! The one who is driving!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

After The War posted:

That's it! I'm done with you guys' bad opinions! I just got me some vintage bad opinions!

Hopefully I can find something as gloriously terrible as "Indiana Skywalker Meets the Son of Star Trek" from my Best of the Best of Trek collection. If you don't know that one, it was a post-WoK essay about how terrible that movie was, how incompatible it was with the utopian ideals of the series, how it was all spectacle threatening to turn Star Trek into something as dumb and violent as Star Wars, and heaping praise upon TMP. If I can find the full text online, I'll post a link.

Oh those are awesome, I had a bunch of those books! A great glimpse into pre-TNG Star Trek fandom!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I love Brandon Bird's stuff and always will.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Gonz posted:

I love Brandon Bird's stuff and always will.

More. Give Zurui more.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Zurui posted:

More. Give Zurui more.

http://brandonbird.com/sketchbook.html

http://brandonbird.com/paintings.html

http://brandonbird.myshopify.com/

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Another cool TOS moment I liked: the crew was being effected by some weird space anomaly that was affecting their nervous system and making people go crazy. Bones solves the problem by mixing a Klingon nerve agent with pure alcohol to create a drink thats so potent it numbs the brain cells so much they aren't affected by the anomaly. Scotty declares it to be the tightest poo poo ever and walks off with an entire jug of it for his personal stash.

I'm watching TAS now and it's also real cool. You can see dirt and hair on the animation frames sometimes which is a good laugh.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

CharlieWhiskey posted:

It looks like Data is rockin that jazz piano

i like the guy in the background, looking at everyone else to see if he's doing it right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Number_6 posted:

It's been long enough that I hope we aren't still spoiler-tagging stuff from "Beyond" but... (spoilers ahead ) while I liked the first two-thirds or so, I found the end of Beyond to be a tedious chore. I didn't give one poo poo about the big revelation about Krall's "real background", and watching Kirk and him play Spider-Man superhero-type leaps from building to building was just dreadful. And the final fistfight in the ventilation system was such a letdown I was rooting for the bad guy. I mean, compare that ending to the ending of TMP, TWOK, or even IV or VI and it feels so shallow. Anyway, that's my two-month-late gripe about Beyond.
I think Beyond is out of the spoiler safe harbor, since I think I saw the Blu-Ray for sale at the Stop and Shop.

I got the feeling that the original ending was that Krall was going to realize that Kirk showed that the people of Earth were still hard and tough in this Vulcan-snuggling future, and would have kicked Kirk to safety and taken the weapon into space with him to die with honor. I guess that tested poorly, or something? Maybe it would've confused the Chinese.