Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Haramstufe Rot posted:

You should have received permanent residency though if you have a German wife or kid. After three years, even.
No B1?

No Idea, though I applied via special GB Papierkram and it was very easy and cost only 29 Euro. I do know the normal Gebühr is much higher and the paperwork is much more.
Ist B1 irgendwelche Integration/Sprache Kurs?
I am going for Deutsche Staatsangehörigkeit as soon as the post me my Card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Yeah, well, I don't see you doing anything about it. :colbert:

drat straight you don't :smuggo:

Magic City Monday
Dec 5, 2016
You need 60 months of Kasse contributions to get the Niederlassungserlaubnis (only 36 if you're married).

As for the Einbürgerung, I guess Brits have to give up their UK citizenship now that they're no long in the EU, or is there some special Brexit regulation?

Speaking of, I am really not a fan of Germany's dual nationality laws but as long as the CDU keeps winning, I doubt anything will change.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Magic City Monday posted:

Speaking of, I am really not a fan of Germany's dual nationality laws but as long as the CDU keeps winning, I doubt anything will change.
I think it is pretty cool, but I admit I haven't given much thought to it yet. What are your issues with those laws?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tarquinn posted:

I think it is pretty cool, but I admit I haven't given much thought to it yet. What are your issues with those laws?

There shouldn't be a limit on how many nationalities you can have op, in fact a government should not even know if you have more than one. hth.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tarquinn posted:

There are probably some more, but I only know about the one I saw in effect personally: Apparently by Turkish law, if you have both Turkish and German citizenship, you either have to be drafted into the German army or the Turkish one. Back then, many people of Turkish descent preferred to serve in the Bundeswehr instead of going to Turkey into the grueling nightmare that is the Turkish draft system.

Nowadays, things must be kind of awkward since now by Turkish law, you would have to leave your home for a few years to serve in a foreign army since you can't get drafted into the Bundeswehr anymore. Though I have no idea if Turkey or Germany changed laws to accommodate our large minority or if they just gave everyone the middlefinger. :shrug:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I've been hemming and hawing about applying for naturalization for a little bit now, largely because German law requires (in nearly every case) that the existing citizenship be given up before German citizenship can be granted (this of course doesn't apply to EU citizens, who are apparently free to pile on all the citizenships they want). There's an exception for Turkish citizens I think, and also for citizens of countries that don't allow people to give up their citizenship (Iran, etc.)

Giving up US citizenship is $lolexpensive for no good reason other than "gently caress you", so while the fees for naturalization in Germany are quite low (like 200 EUR), the US consulate demands a cash payment of $2,350 in addition to going through bureaucratic hoops and exit interviews and bullshit like that.

Meanwhile, a German applying for US citizenship is permitted to retain both citizenships. So it's not exactly reciprocal.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

oliwan posted:

There shouldn't be a limit on how many nationalities you can have op, in fact a government should not even know if you have more than one. hth.

It was my understanding that most countries make you choose and stick to just one nationality, with Germany allowing a bit more in that regard. Am I sorely mistaken, and it is actually the other way round, with Germany being overly strict?

Libluini posted:

There are probably some more, but I only know about the one I saw in effect personally: Apparently by Turkish law, if you have both Turkish and German citizenship, you either have to be drafted into the German army or the Turkish one. Back then, many people of Turkish descent preferred to serve in the Bundeswehr instead of going to Turkey into the grueling nightmare that is the Turkish draft system.

Nowadays, things must be kind of awkward since now by Turkish law, you would have to leave your home for a few years to serve in a foreign army since you can't get drafted into the Bundeswehr anymore. Though I have no idea if Turkey or Germany changed laws to accommodate our large minority or if they just gave everyone the middlefinger. :shrug:

Well, that seems to be a problem with Turkish law and not the German one. Unless I am missing something. Couldn't those affected renounce their citizenship in Turkey?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tarquinn posted:

It was my understanding that most countries make you choose and stick to just one nationality, with Germany allowing a bit more in that regard. Am I sorely mistaken, and it is actually the other way round, with Germany being overly strict?

Well, that seems to be a problem with Turkish law and not the German one. Unless I am missing something. Couldn't those affected renounce their citizenship in Turkey?

This very obviously doesn't help if you don't want to give up this connection to your motherland. Also from what I've heard, Turkey can get kind of snippy if you tactically drop your citizenship the day after you received your Turkish Musterungsbescheid.

But sure, if you don't care at all and run away from home if you're below 18, you can do that. Still doesn't solve the fundamental problem with multiple citizenships: Multiple nations having multiple, often conflicting law systems you have abide with if you don't want to lose one of them.

If we want people to freely go and live anywhere, we need to abolish the nation state world-wide first.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Libluini posted:

If we want people to freely go and live anywhere, we need to abolish the nation state world-wide first.

We do not need to abolish the nation state. We just need to abolish the concept of nation states.

You bring the world map, I bring the feldgrau. :hundi:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

quote:

Auf Basis von Gerüchten Vorverurteilungen vorzunehmen, ist in der Unternehmenskultur von Axel Springer undenkbar.

I honestly can't tell anymore who's just evil and who's genuinely deluded, or if it even makes a difference.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 13, 2021

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I have consulted with my Chrysopidae and they have approved a chili update for immediate release:

Of the 24 chilis I started out with, I've managed to free up 16 for adoption and have now umtopfed the majority ofmy remaining plants.
I've cut back the Korean "Han Rim Gwari Put" chilis (my Korean friends have informed me that the name makes no sense whatsoever, so it looks like some white person just went ahead and named a Korean strain like they got a hot tattoo that reads "do not stack if hot" in Mandarin), but they're thriving like there's no tomorrow.
The Puta Madre plants are busching nicely and getting thicc as all hell instead of just reaching for the sky, which is the best case you could possibly hope for, and the Scotch Bonnet hybrids are developing some serious foliage like the good Capsicum Chinensis they are.

Look at these absolute loving units my Koreans are growing, gatdang...those are 12cm chilis for a plant that is barely three times that very same height.

InappropriateJazz
Aug 3, 2013

GhostDog posted:

I honestly can't tell anymore who's just evil and who's genuinely deluded, or if it even makes a difference.
Soße deine Anführungszeichen bitte

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

Drone posted:

I've been hemming and hawing about applying for naturalization for a little bit now, largely because German law requires (in nearly every case) that the existing citizenship be given up before German citizenship can be granted (this of course doesn't apply to EU citizens, who are apparently free to pile on all the citizenships they want). There's an exception for Turkish citizens I think, and also for citizens of countries that don't allow people to give up their citizenship (Iran, etc.)

Giving up US citizenship is $lolexpensive for no good reason other than "gently caress you", so while the fees for naturalization in Germany are quite low (like 200 EUR), the US consulate demands a cash payment of $2,350 in addition to going through bureaucratic hoops and exit interviews and bullshit like that.

Meanwhile, a German applying for US citizenship is permitted to retain both citizenships. So it's not exactly reciprocal.

Don't forget that you keep on paying taxes to the US all your life!

Regarding nationalities, for EU citizens it's great and uncomplicated. My daughters have triple EU citizenship.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

Don't forget that you keep on paying taxes to the US all your life!

That's not true :toot:

But there are a poo poo load of tax things to keep in mind in the process though. Oh, and if the US ever expects you gave up your citizenship for tax reasons, you can be barred entry to the country :toot:

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Drone posted:

That's not true :toot:

But there are a poo poo load of tax things to keep in mind in the process though. Oh, and if the US ever expects you gave up your citizenship for tax reasons, you can be barred entry to the country :toot:

you do get to file them every year though!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

RKI is expecting the Inzidenzrate over easter to be higher than our Christmas numbers.

There is no "Uuuuuuugh" big enough.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

As Christ is risen, so will the Inzidenz? :confuoot:

InappropriateJazz
Aug 3, 2013

Apropos Christ, someone sprayed "Jesus rettet" on an empty Plakatwand here. Help me goons, what should I add below?
I was thinking of "[citation needed]" but that joke is probably lost on all those Boomers and Rentners around here.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Is someone of you playing Rust? Because apparently there was a big fire im largest Rechenzentrum Europas here in Germany, and it killed all the servers Rust used, among other poo poo. And because the nice company behind Rust was too cheap to pay for backups, they lost all their data 100% unrecoverable.

That must hurt if you're playing an online-game.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Afaik Rust wipes the servers every month as a normal part of the gameplay loop, so the loss is probably not that big of a deal. But what data center doesn't have offsite backup?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

InappropriateJazz posted:

Apropos Christ, someone sprayed "Jesus rettet" on an empty Plakatwand here. Help me goons, what should I add below?
I was thinking of "[citation needed]" but that joke is probably lost on all those Boomers and Rentners around here.

someone hung up this plakat in my general neighborhood:

and while I certainly agree, I can't help but feel the quotation is a bad choice
like what the hell is a heiland lol, what is this old fashioned nonsense

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

GhostDog posted:

Afaik Rust wipes the servers every month as a normal part of the gameplay loop, so the loss is probably not that big of a deal. But what data center doesn't have offsite backup?

The FAZ says the company behind this data center demands extra money for services like offsite backup, so a lot of cheap customers were just hosed when all those servers burned down

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Libluini posted:

The FAZ says the company behind this data center demands extra money for services like offsite backup, so a lot of cheap customers were just hosed when all those servers burned down
Twitter made me laugh, the company recommended for everyone to active the "Disaster Recovery Plan" and people asked where to active that function.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

"Flüchtende" ?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

pidan posted:

someone hung up this plakat in my general neighborhood:

and while I certainly agree, I can't help but feel the quotation is a bad choice
like what the hell is a heiland lol, what is this old fashioned nonsense

That's choice is definitely weird as hell. Maybe those guys are like evangelical hipsters who think that John 3:16 is played out and only for casuals.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pretty sure the "Hei"land is chill af :420::okpos:

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I have consulted with my Chrysopidae and they have approved a chili update for immediate release:

Of the 24 chilis I started out with, I've managed to free up 16 for adoption and have now umtopfed the majority ofmy remaining plants.
I've cut back the Korean "Han Rim Gwari Put" chilis (my Korean friends have informed me that the name makes no sense whatsoever, so it looks like some white person just went ahead and named a Korean strain like they got a hot tattoo that reads "do not stack if hot" in Mandarin), but they're thriving like there's no tomorrow.
The Puta Madre plants are busching nicely and getting thicc as all hell instead of just reaching for the sky, which is the best case you could possibly hope for, and the Scotch Bonnet hybrids are developing some serious foliage like the good Capsicum Chinensis they are.

Look at these absolute loving units my Koreans are growing, gatdang...those are 12cm chilis for a plant that is barely three times that very same height.

Wow those all look really good. Your started them in December, right? Have your überwintert Chilis survived?

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

zur Ecke.

In other news I built the LEGO Ecto-1 yesterday and I can thoroughly recommend that set it's incredibly fun to build, has lots of cool stuff going on and looks pretty nice.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

ephex posted:

zur Ecke. :pwm:

In other news I built the LEGO Ecto-1 yesterday and I can thoroughly recommend that set it's incredibly fun to build, has lots of cool stuff going on and looks pretty nice.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Quoting yourself to add one smiley is one hell of a power move I have to say :v:

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Lmao quote is not edit

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Also I was just looking for a new Eierschneider and this thing popped up

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/spdrlp/status/1371024727217672192?s=19

Check the replies to this tweet for the most powerfully cursed Alman bullshit imaginable

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

ephex posted:

zur Ecke.

That’s next on my list! Like carton waiting in the corner “next”. Finished the Ford Mustang last night and it was great too, really looking forward to do another batmobile sized build.

Then I hope the town square gets back in stock while I build the bonsai tree and then all that’s left is the police station which I’m not that happy about but it has a donut shop and maybe I’ll mod it into the Daily Bugle, idk.

Libluini posted:

Is someone of you playing Rust? Because apparently there was a big fire im largest Rechenzentrum Europas here in Germany, and it killed all the servers Rust used, among other poo poo. And because the nice company behind Rust was too cheap to pay for backups, they lost all their data 100% unrecoverable.

That must hurt if you're playing an online-game.

Weird here I was thinking it’s a programming language.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

GhostDog posted:

Making backups is the customer's responsibility pretty much everywhere, unless it's a managed service.

OVH is pretty huge, they do offer backup services for a wide range of stuff, but when you rent a dedicated server instead of managed hosting you are responsible for everything that goes on on that machine.

So basically, the Rust hosters are amateurs who don't have backups or automated deployments. What a surprise.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Zwille posted:

That’s next on my list! Like carton waiting in the corner “next”. Finished the Ford Mustang last night and it was great too, really looking forward to do another batmobile sized build.

Funny, I did the mustang two weeks ago.
I'm kinda intrigued by the porsche 911 but it looks kinda weird and has the LEGO farbseuche.
I think Ill do the Apollo Saturn V next.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

They would just cite the bible in response

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

ephex posted:

Funny, I did the mustang two weeks ago.
I'm kinda intrigued by the porsche 911 but it looks kinda weird and has the LEGO farbseuche.
I think Ill do the Apollo Saturn V next.

What’s Farbseuche? The Mustang had some of the blue plates rub off on the white ones lol. I don’t care, it was like 20€ off at a different shop.

The Porsche is pretty cool, finished it two weeks ago but I think I like the Mustang better yeah. Which is funny because I was really lukewarm on the Mustang for a long rear end time.

And the Apollo is something I’d get if I had the space for the cool lighting setup someone posted with Watte for exhaust, though the tiny lunar lander has me intrigued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

Zwille posted:

What’s Farbseuche?
The tendency of Lego to use colours on the inside of a set that do not fit the theme at all. Like using pink, aquamarine and magenta to build the structure of a model that is mostly grey or black.
Frankly, I do not mind, but it annoys some people to no end.