Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
http://www.amazon.com/Will-this-mou...3QO4HVSVVVDMQH4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Tornhelm posted:

You obviously don't use the side buttons that much. The pointed hard plastic pointed edge shape they've gone for with the buttons is horrendous to use and has me looking at a different mouse to buy just due to the amount of discomfort I get after using them for a while.

Actually I do use them a bunch - I could see how some people might not like them but they work fine for me

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just found my old Ratpadz GS in storage. It seems to have more friction than I remember.

From what I can tell, have people and companies generally moved to cloth mousepads for less wear on your mouse's feet?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Has logitech ever commented on why they won't make a successor to the G9x. With the amount of people you see online to this day asking for something similar to a product that went out of production years ago, you would think there would be enough of a consumer base.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Josh Lyman posted:

Just found my old Ratpadz GS in storage. It seems to have more friction than I remember.

From what I can tell, have people and companies generally moved to cloth mousepads for less wear on your mouse's feet?

That's what I have noticed. I can't stand cloth mousepads myself.

Someone linked a place where you could buy giant sheets of teflon for a mousing surface years ago. I wish I could find it again, I'd just make the entire right side of my desk a mousepad and be done with it.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Megasabin posted:

Has logitech ever commented on why they won't make a successor to the G9x. With the amount of people you see online to this day asking for something similar to a product that went out of production years ago, you would think there would be enough of a consumer base.

The G303 for fingertip/claw grip and the G502 for palm.

For G303 you lose the adjustable weight (but the mouse is pretty light and well balanced), the ungearable scrollwheel (which I like but many people hated) but you get a perfect sensor and lose the looseness of the replaceable shells.

I got a G303 after another G9x lover recommended it to me and I no longer miss the G9x.

Storm-
Jan 7, 2007

You win some, you lose some... then you lose some more.

Skuto posted:

The G303 for fingertip/claw grip and the G502 for palm.

For G303 you lose the adjustable weight (but the mouse is pretty light and well balanced), the ungearable scrollwheel (which I like but many people hated) but you get a perfect sensor and lose the looseness of the replaceable shells.

I got a G303 after another G9x lover recommended it to me and I no longer miss the G9x.

Another new G303 user here. Gotta say I'm quite happy with the mouse, I was a bit worried the shape might bother me but it actually fits my hand almost perfectly. If I had to choose I'd still go for a bit rounder shape where my thumb rests. I also wouldn't mind if it had G9x's scroll as well, for the price it feels kinda cheap. These are all minor things, bigger issue is the forward side button seems to be a bit too far forward, the back button is placed right under my thumb. But I'll have to deal with it.

Unfortunately the mouse I got seems to be borked, when I move it in short bursts to the left (best visible when switching between tabs) my cursor wobbles when I stop moving. Doesn't seem to affect precision but its very noticeable and very annoying. Hopefully the RMA is painless, first time I bought from this shop and it isn't a local one. The G502 isn't showing any signs of this. Sticking to the G303 until the real G9x successor is released.

*tips fedora to Goo* :smug:

Storm- fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 18, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Here's a tip: Don't accidentally unpair your MX Master from its receiver, because to reconnect it requires a mouse. The Logitech Options program doesn't respond to Tab. Supposedly it can re-pair itself but that wouldn't work.

To the guy asking about battery life: it's not as good as the G602, but I've had it since May 17th and charged it twice. That's 40 hour work weeks, so it's pretty good. My G602 lasted like 4 months on its initial AAs but I'm not complaining about a month's charge.

Also I haven't tried it myself, but they say the Master can get a day's charge in 4 minutes.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I picked up a g600 yesterday and I'm loving it so far, played FFXIV for a bit last night and I was surprised how quickly I got used to using the side buttons, I expected it to be awkward. It feels really nice in general, although my last mouse was a lovely free Dell one that I've had for like 8 years so I don't have much to compare it to.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
For all the people who lamented the death of the Logitech G9x, apparently Dell sells a rebranded version: http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=331-9667

You have to deal with ugly Alienware branding and lighting, but hey, much cheaper than buying a G9x off ebay or something.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
I've been using some old intellimouse for like a decade now and it hasn't worked right for the last couple years.

I just want a <$30 comfortable mouse that's wired with some side buttons. More buttons the G100s but way less than the G600 (jesus christ). I'm willing to live with ridiculous colored lights and decals and lightning bolts or whatever if it works well.

Should I just get some random REDDRAGON or ELEKCITY or HAVIT mouse off amazon or what?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Lazy_Liberal posted:

I've been using some old intellimouse for like a decade now and it hasn't worked right for the last couple years.

I just want a <$30 comfortable mouse that's wired with some side buttons. More buttons the G100s but way less than the G600 (jesus christ). I'm willing to live with ridiculous colored lights and decals and lightning bolts or whatever if it works well.

Should I just get some random REDDRAGON or ELEKCITY or HAVIT mouse off amazon or what?

If you have a set budget I'd just look at whatever's cheap and has good reviews on amazon. If you can go up a little bit there's the G303 and G402 from logitech for lower end but good gaming oriented mice. There's often sales that bring them down to $30 or close but their standard price is usually $40ish

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Rexxed posted:

If you have a set budget I'd just look at whatever's cheap and has good reviews on amazon. If you can go up a little bit there's the G303 and G402 from logitech for lower end but good gaming oriented mice. There's often sales that bring them down to $30 or close but their standard price is usually $40ish

Thanks, I ended up getting the G402! I was *this* close to getting some SteelSeries Sims 4 mouse with a light-up plumbob whaaaaaat!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Does anybody actually say, "I want a mouse that lights up like a loving rave dancer. I want a Superbowl halftime show coming out of my hand."? Goo, talk to your friends in Marketing. I'm genuinely curious.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
I think secretly the 18 year old boy racer in all of us wants sick neons and spinners

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
I wanted a mouse that fit in my hand similar to my old G500 and had on-the-fly DPI switching. Unfortunately, the closest thing I could find was the G502 in all its gaudiness.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ynglaur posted:

Does anybody actually say, "I want a mouse that lights up like a loving rave dancer. I want a Superbowl halftime show coming out of my hand."? Goo, talk to your friends in Marketing. I'm genuinely curious.

I think that Logitech's G department doesn't give a poo poo as long as they include a "turn off" function.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Ynglaur posted:

The sales figures for illuminated vs non-illuminated mice are very clear. I do what I can to make sure that "off" is always an option as a result.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Goo posted:

The sales figures for illuminated vs non-illuminated mice are very clear. I do what I can to make sure that "off" is always an option as a result.

Keyboards you want illuminated, mice on the other hand... I am not entirely sure what the point of it is.

I think it is like LED fans and cases with windows in them. I think there is/was a small group of people who wants them which made the entire industry make them on everything. It has gotten to the point where it is next to impossible to find a case without that stuff that doesn't look gaudy. I think that tide is finally starting to turn a little bit but it has been a good 5 years or so since that was in vogue for things to change.

I know myself I have no desire to have lights all over everything on my computer. Hell, the status LEDs on my Das Keyboard was far too bright for my liking to which I had to put some sticky tack over it to not illuminate my ceilings at night.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Never underestimate the appeal of bright shiny things to computer geeks.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Djarum posted:

Keyboards you want illuminated, mice on the other hand... I am not entirely sure what the point of it is.

I try to limit the amount of glowing poo poo on my computer as much as possible, I've got little bits of paper taped over the power LEDs on my monitor and speakers so they don't shine little blue lights into my eyes at night.

That said, I absolutely love the light up functionality on my G600. The keys are backlit so you can tell them apart in the dark. You can adjust color, brightness, cycle through colors or make it pulse and best of all the color scheme changes when you switch mouse modes. It's glowing poo poo that actually has a function beyond glowing and being poo poo.

Goo posted:

Your efforts are appreciated. Optional features are the best kind of features.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Djarum posted:

The real head-scratching stuff starts when people earnestly complain that your headsets don't have lights on them.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Put a big strobing one pointing up and at your face right on the tip of the microphone boom. Then its serving its purpose as an LED: useless and annoying!

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
I only work on mice so I can't help you sorry. :(

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Goo posted:

The real head-scratching stuff starts when people earnestly complain that your headsets don't have lights on them.

Yeah, I don't have a answer for that one.

Personally, and I would like to think that a majority of PC users in general are like this, I want something that is built well and looks nice without being gaudy. I have had a MX Revolution for years and recently got a MX Master. I'd love to have something with that kind of styling with a few more buttons and customization for gaming. I think the biggest turnoff to a lot of "gamer" PC gear is it looks like a prop from a bad Sci-Fi movie. I know there is a fanbase for that kind of stuff just like there is a fanbase of people who cut off their mufflers and put light kits on their cars. I'm more the one that would want a BMW than a Honda.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Djarum posted:

Personally, and I would like to think that a majority of PC users in general are like this, I want something that is built well and looks nice without being gaudy. ...I'm more the one that would want a BMW than a Honda.
This a million times. When I want to look nice I wear a nice jacket; I don't wear leather pants and a neon halter top.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Avulsion posted:

That said, I absolutely love the light up functionality on my G600. The keys are backlit so you can tell them apart in the dark. You can adjust color, brightness, cycle through colors or make it pulse and best of all the color scheme changes when you switch mouse modes. It's glowing poo poo that actually has a function beyond glowing and being poo poo.

Yeah, the G600 was the only mouse that I ever had lighting, to let me know which of the 3 profiles I was using (desktop, normal games, MMOs with way too many buttons) before I replaced it with a G502 because I stopped playing MMOs.

Otherwise, as long as I can turn it off, I don't really care.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Djarum posted:

Personally, and I would like to think that a majority of PC users in general are like this, I want something that is built well and looks nice without being gaudy.
It's honestly not the case, though. Again, looking at actual sales data, it's incredibly clear that en masse people want to buy stuff that has lights on it and actively dislike things that don't. Which means that more often than not I'm designing products for people who absolutely aren't me.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Ahdinko posted:

I think secretly the 18 year old boy racer in all of us wants sick neons and spinners

And that's exactly what we'll get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdHdoCR8pT0

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Goo posted:

It's honestly not the case, though. Again, looking at actual sales data, it's incredibly clear that en masse people want to buy stuff that has lights on it and actively dislike things that don't. Which means that more often than not I'm designing products for people who absolutely aren't me.
If you ever make a wireless G502 with the G602's battery life and the MX Master's multiple bluetooth profiles that I can bring into a business meeting without getting odd looks, charge $150 for it and I'll buy two. (A man can dream.)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The MX master is my favorite mouse of all time. Give it side scrolling (for two more buttons, it has the awesome wheel) or two more thumb buttons, and that mouse will knock the master out of that position.

My prior favorite was the M705 Marathon.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Goo posted:

You need to add a showroom / fascinator mode to any mice with colored lights, so it can go bananas when it's sitting on display.

Add an option for it to turn off when moved or touched, so home users can have fun with the mode, and it'll probably be pretty popular.

(All I personally want is a DPI indicator and a profile indicator if the mouse supports that feature)

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Goo posted:

I remember seeing a pair with adjustable LEDs and all that silliness. They were being marketed directly at Warcraft raiders and faction dickwavers.

My best guess is that it's all about showing off to the people stuck sharing LAN space with you.

Storm-
Jan 7, 2007

Took a peek at the Logi™ website and the MX Anywhere 2 is plastered across the entire page. I kinda wish mice like these had wired versions, the dimensions and the design look great. Same goes for the scroll, looks similar to the G9x one, which should be the standard on every mouse ever. I loved my MX1000, I really wish you didn't have to choose between a classy-looking mouse and a wire. If only I wasn't such a brand whore I might find something like that among other brands but everything looks like cheap plastic poo poo that will break after a couple of months of rigorous use.

Got a Cooler Master Xornet to use while waiting on the G303 RMA. This is supposed to be an entry level gaming mouse, but it lacks so much. The scroll is terrible, the buttons feel mushy and you can't even set your DPI, there is 3 values and the highest (2000) makes the cursor jumpy. I guess the sensor is nothing to write home about. Even the shell-shaped frame which I assumed would be a great fit seems to be messing with my grip. Love the size though, I wish more gaming mice were made small/short in length. In fact, the DPI-change buttons seem to be better than the main buttons. So it seems buying a $100 mouse has its perks.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Oh man, that Anywhere MX 2 looks neat. I got to try an MX Master for the first time today and found it a bit big, so I'm glad Logitech is still moving forward with the Anywhere design since I find it to have terrific ergonomics. Is the middle-click still its own separate button, or did they move it back to the wheel button? I much prefer having the middle click separate and having the wheel click release the clutch on the free-spinning.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm sorry guys, it's me. I'm the one who likes mice with unnecessary lights. I liked having a Space Mouse to make me feel better about my lovely laptop. I have a good computer now but I'm not about to switch back to a boring mouse.
e: I miss my Sidewinder

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 25, 2015

Storm-
Jan 7, 2007

I feel like MX Anyhwere 2 with strobe lights and a wire is a license to print money. All the lights, just one big loving LED with a bit of plastic to hold the internals together in your hand pulsating. Feel the power boys.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Give it a charging case that you need to open like the Autobots Matrix of Leadership and you can retire.

F2B
Feb 13, 2003
For the record, in the past months I've bought 2 Logitech gaming mice (both were just OK) and a Razer Death Adder (was either broken or completely sucked) and a Razer Naga, which even without the buttons is the best mouse I've ever used. The buttons are not nearly as convenient as other gaming mice buttons because they're bunched together and it takes practice to know which is which, which is counter to the whole point of using macros and mice buttons. Regardless it's the best mouse I've used simply on the basis of the mouse itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Alright, gonna pre-empt all the obvious replies here for what I'm about to ask, I know what I'm getting into.

Are there any gaming mice that go beyond the 12 button thumbpads of MMO mice? I looked into gaming keypads which contain much more keys than a mouse, exactly what I need, but I realized that those are more of a keyboard replacement and not a mouse. Are there any mice that combine the increased button capabilities of a gaming pad like what I'm describing? For history, I'm coming from using the Logitech G600 which is a very fine mouse that I will continue to use in other games that require more precision; however, I just want a mouse specifically for MMOs that go beyond that sort of thing. Yes, I'm looking for "that" kind of mouse, if such a thing exists.