Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Ak Gara posted:

This is one of Clarkson's ex-wives houses.

Reportedly they are going through the process of getting divorced. Hence why he lists his current address as a house in London and not his house next to Cameron or the Lighthouse. Was probably a factor in why he felt the need to blow up and assault a work colleague.

edit: Guardian have updated the story and the BBC decision is as I suspected, although the date differs than has been reported -

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/mar/25/jeremy-clarkson-top-gear-contract-bbc

BBC are just not going to renew his contract - which runs out next week. Was reported before his contract runs out in April, but if it runs out end of March really does make it easy for the BBC.

ukle fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Data Graham posted:

^^ I'm not sure whether your point is "Hey lay off these guys, they work hard" or "gently caress these assholes, they live in loving castles and fly to work by helicopter"

Neither, I just think it'd be awesome to live in a castle.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
I am amazed that everyone thinks it was Clarkson who was acting like a massive cock.

It can take two people to have an argument. Maybe the producer was the one who acted like a fuckwit when asked about the hot food and threw a punch that missed? Until we actually get both sides of the story it's just an echo chamber from people with axes to grind and ad space to sell.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Foxtrot_13 posted:

I am amazed that everyone thinks it was Clarkson who was acting like a massive cock.

Dude had possibly the best job (... in the world) and hosed it up by hitting a subordinate who's worked on the show for years, and now the show is (maybe) dead. He should have known better.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Just posted 5 mins ago on the BBC itself so i guess its legit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32052736

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Ahdinko posted:

Just posted 5 mins ago on the BBC itself so i guess its legit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32052736

It almost sounds like they are sorry for firing him...

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
everyone's always sad to lose 50 million bucks of profit

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Thats in quids aswell, so really its like 75 million bucks. The BBC are closing down some radio stations and TV channels, or converting them to online only now in a big effort to save £50 million, so if the show tanks and they've lost their highest earning show, they're going to be pretty unpopular when they close a few more.

Edit: I give it three months until Sky takes them all on and releases a show called "Spinning cog that allows you to move at high speed"

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 25, 2015

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
I wonder what they'll do with the pre-filmed stuff they have, you can't really use it if all 3 of the stars in the footage have walked can you

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Here's the result of the investigation, which somehow manages to have no new information:
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/investigation-summary.pdf

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

CornHolio posted:

Hammond lives in an actual castle? wow.

And how is he worth more than May, anyway?

Short man complex doesn't just apply to cars maybe? :v:

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
I'm pretty excited for the upcoming clarkson tweet diarrhea about how this actually isn't his fault

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Who hasn't got drunk and slapped some dickhead then regretted it ffs.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

I wonder what they'll do with the pre-filmed stuff they have, you can't really use it if all 3 of the stars in the footage have walked can you

There's less than 2 hours of content left, so they'll probably just cut it into a DVD and sell it for £50 million a copy.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
The DG's statement is, uh, certainly a thing. Now knuckle draggers are threatening the producer on the internet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/statements/jeremy-clarkson-dg-statement

Tony Hall posted:

It is with great regret that I have told Jeremy Clarkson today that the BBC will not be renewing his contract. It is not a decision I have taken lightly. I have done so only after a very careful consideration of the facts and after personally meeting both Jeremy and Oisin Tymon.

I am grateful to Ken MacQuarrie for the thorough way he has conducted an investigation of the incident on 4th March. Given the obvious and very genuine public interest in this I am publishing the findings of his report. I take no pleasure in doing so. I am only making them public so people can better understand the background. I know how popular the programme is and I also know that this decision will divide opinion. The main facts are not disputed by those involved.

I want to make three points.

First – The BBC is a broad church. Our strength in many ways lies in that diversity. We need distinctive and different voices but they cannot come at any price. Common to all at the BBC have to be standards of decency and respect. I cannot condone what has happened on this occasion. A member of staff – who is a completely innocent party – took himself to Accident and Emergency after a physical altercation accompanied by sustained and prolonged verbal abuse of an extreme nature. For me a line has been crossed. There cannot be one rule for one and one rule for another dictated by either rank, or public relations and commercial considerations.

Second – This has obviously been difficult for everyone involved but in particular for Oisin. I want to make clear that no blame attaches to him for this incident. He has behaved with huge integrity throughout. As a senior producer at the BBC he will continue to have an important role within the organisation in the future.

Third – Obviously none of us wanted to find ourselves in this position. This decision should in no way detract from the extraordinary contribution that Jeremy Clarkson has made to the BBC. I have always personally been a great fan of his work and Top Gear. Jeremy is a huge talent. He may be leaving the BBC but I am sure he will continue to entertain, challenge and amuse audiences for many years to come.

The BBC must now look to renew Top Gear for 2016. This will be a big challenge and there is no point in pretending otherwise. I have asked Kim Shillinglaw to look at how best we might take this forward over the coming months. I have also asked her to look at how we put out the last programmes in the current series.

Good news is, Top Gear will (probably) return next year, in some form, and the remaining programmes of this series will hopefully be shown.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Bape Culture posted:

Who hasn't got drunk and slapped some dickhead then regretted it ffs.

Once it extends to the workplace then gently caress no. Fucker got what he deserved. You can't expect to yell at people and then punch them without some major repercussions. Being drunk just makes it worse.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I thought being drunk was just a typical British thing.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

May will probably use this as an opportunity to move onto something different as well. Next year is gonna be top gear with richard hammond as jeremy clarkson, jodie kidd as james may, and chris evans as richard hammond.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

wait, chris evans as in Captain America?!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think one of the stories mentioned that May and Hammond have separate contracts for their own shows, stuff like James May's Cars of the People.

Their Top Gear contracts may be up, but they may not be able to walk away so easily.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
soooooo this means they have to find 3 new producers does it not? The 3 of them stated they had no interest in continuing without Jeremy?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

awesome-express posted:

Yeah, sure, why not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxWMYcPX27s

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

awesome-express posted:

No, Chris Evans as in some really obnoxious and boring radio host.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

If Clarkson worked for Sky instead of the BBC or any other public institution he'd have been fired for, and let's not gloss over this, literally punching a co-worker while shouting racial slurs at him a long time ago. The day after, if not day of.

If it was the first, second, or third thing the BBC was angry at him about you'd have a point as well. Clarkson has every right to be abrasive as he wants. BBC has every right not to put up with any of it.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

awesome-express posted:

Different Chris Evans, this ones older a lot Richer and VERY ginger. Was probably confusing for Brits when the other Chris Evans appeared, given the British Chris Evans has been on TV for 20+ years and is part of the media landscape (founded Radio stations, TV Companies, etc). British Chris has an absurd Car collection as well, probably one of the best.

Also Evans + Kidd + 1 other (Hammond could work, and not like he could do much else) could be a great team as they are all car nuts and have a personality.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CornHolio posted:

Hammond lives in an actual castle? wow.

And how is he worth more than May, anyway?

He's done more entertainment shows and advertising.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What kind of a name is Oisin anyway. Sounds a bit public schoolboy.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

There are lots of castles in the UK. Most of them are basically holes you pour money into.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

England leading the SJW charge. Sometimes people get mad and come to blows. Then they get over it. Well, before the SJW crew comes in and then it's a reprehensible action and unrecoverable. :rolleyes:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DOOMocrat posted:

If Clarkson worked for Sky instead of the BBC or any other public institution he'd have been fired for, and let's not gloss over this, literally punching a co-worker while shouting racial slurs at him a long time ago. The day after, if not day of.

If it was the first, second, or third thing the BBC was angry at him about you'd have a point as well. Clarkson has every right to be abrasive as he wants. BBC has every right not to put up with any of it.

No he wouldn't. The producer would be paid to gently caress off, and everybody else would continue on as if nothing happened.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Also producers aren't underings lol.
Just lol at this whole debacle.
Lol at the guardian.
Lol at the unskilled left's handwringing as if this is some sort of politics victory.
Just lol and hail to satan. Chaos reigns.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Powershift posted:

No he wouldn't. The producer would be paid to gently caress off, and everybody else would continue on as if nothing happened.

Clarkson would say he was very sorry and would go to anger management classes and/or alcohol rehab.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Regardless of the views on what Clarkson did, I think it's adorable that they think they can renew it for a 2016 season. The show is dead, people aren't going to watch it if it isn't those three hosts.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Powershift posted:

Which is exactly what should have happened. Write a big fat check to the producer for his reception of a knuckle sandwich, then move on.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
After finally seeing a picture of the producer I kind of want to punch him for looking like such a douche, but battery is illegal so yeah, Clarkson had to be fired.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

meatpimp posted:

England leading the SJW charge. Sometimes people get mad and come to blows. Then they get over it. Well, before the SJW crew comes in and then it's a reprehensible action and unrecoverable. :rolleyes:

No wonder the NHS is broke if they have to keep stitching up lunatic barfights. Getting mad and coming to blows is different from calling someone a lazy Irish gently caress and punching them over cold cuts.

Powershift posted:

A ten year producer, a public story. English workplace protection laws, and a history? To me that sounds optimistic at best and ridiculous at face.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

So did you get that from Reddit or another internet cesspool?

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Regardless of the views on what Clarkson did, I think it's adorable that they think they can renew it for a 2016 season. The show is dead, people aren't going to watch it if it isn't those three hosts.

They write like, four pages of the magazine and the magazine is very popular. They write one article a week on the website and the website is very popular. "Top Gear" is bigger than Jezza.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

The BBC would probably have to deal with an even deeper and more stringent investigation for letting both verbal abuse and physical assault get passed over, especially considering they had already told Clarkson he was on thin ice...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I love the rude, pube headed, loud mouthed, boorish ape of a Paddington Bear Money man. I feel for what he's going through. But yeah, those are fitting consequences.