Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
All you guys saying "I cant believe Reddit thinks X' or 'I'm shocked that Reddit can Y' are missing the prominent use of the word 'Reddit'.

Redditors love crusading against the most inane poo poo. Blowing things out of proportion is their pleasure. I don't have numbers but I'm sure it's a safe bet that the majority of people posting about this stuff on Reddit likely don't even play the game, at least not in any real capacity.

Republicans posted:

I've taken a habit of killing my final victim as Jason with a throwing knife. Next time I'm gonna choose Part 6 and try to get all my kills that way.

There is something sublime about nailing someone who is mid-sentence talking poo poo about how they juked you with a knife, and knocking them into the limp animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Tonight I learned just how useful/hilarious Morphing on top of yourself while Stalking can be. Judging by some of the yells, I gave some people a good ol' fashioned jump scare.

Today I morphed out of a cabin to catch someone who had just jumped out a window. I ended up right on top of him and he drat near burst my ear drum.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

a cock shaped fruit posted:

There is something sublime about nailing someone who is mid-sentence talking poo poo about how they juked you with a knife, and knocking them into the limp animation.

I think a lot of players either don't realize that Jason even has knives, or thinks there's some Unwritten Code of Honor where Jason isn't allowed to use his knives. I've had more than one person either confused or even a little offended at the fact that I hurled some knives at them.

I'd say it's less cheap than Part 2 laying down the phone box triple traps. It's a tool at Jason's disposal so gently caress it, everything is fair game.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

King Vidiot posted:

I think a lot of players either don't realize that Jason even has knives, or thinks there's some Unwritten Code of Honor where Jason isn't allowed to use his knives. I've had more than one person either confused or even a little offended at the fact that I hurled some knives at them.

I'd say it's less cheap than Part 2 laying down the phone box triple traps. It's a tool at Jason's disposal so gently caress it, everything is fair game.

Had someone super cuss me out for using a knife to break the window climb animation (FYI If you hit them with a knife as the start clambering in a window IT WILL STOP THEM).

Dude for ultra pissy, exclaiming loudly 'OH COME ON DON'T BE A CHEAP rear end in a top hat.'

Like, c'mon - those knives aren't cheap man. I gotta hunt them down and poo poo. It's hard being a murderous psychopath, money is tight.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

In one of our goon games last night I forget who, but they were one of the last guys left when I was Part 7 and climbed up on top of one of the big rocks in the woods, so I just start throwing knives.

"I promise you I'm gonna win this fight, I've got 9 of these things." and after I managed to land like two and then miss a third we went back into a chase. :v:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Had someone super cuss me out for using a knife to break the window climb animation (FYI If you hit them with a knife as the start clambering in a window IT WILL STOP THEM).

You always got to follow that up with grabbing them and chucking them back through the window, "Oh I'm sorry, let me help you" :v:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

King Vidiot posted:

Just triple? :troll:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
lol :reddit: still having their meltdown.

We should get the devs to post in here instead.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Speaking of traps, I witnessed a hilarious moment after I died in a match last night. A Deborah was stumbling around away from the only car on Packanack carrying the battery. She ran to the main lodge, dropped the battery in favor of the shotgun and then tried to go inside the main lodge for some dumb reason. But there were like two traps laid down at the steps to the side entrance and one already sprung. She steps in one trap, gets herself free, and then instead of inspecting the area or having any sense of self-preservation or awareness she just keeps going towards those steps and then kills her own dumb self on the other active trap.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

King Vidiot posted:

Speaking of traps,

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Okay stay with me here, Tiffany, but a guy.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

being chased by the killer in dbd is infinitely scarier than having to slow jog away from Jason

Yardbomb posted:

Okay stay with me here, Tiffany, but a guy.

lmao like i haven't already? get on my level

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've never really

Okay so horror films do not scare me. I'm just not the kind of person who gets startled by that kind of thing. It's one reason I love the Friday films- they're just fun as gently caress.

So, horror games have never really scared me either. That's a value I do not attribute to them. Might be a reason why DbD never clicked with me. It's way more fun to run around Jason than it is a killer in DbD, which is what I care more about. With DbD you can't even properly run away from them unless they just get lost. They're always faster than you and it's way easier to lead them to some one actually doing poo poo.

DbD is likely the scarier game though. That's just such a nonfactor for me that I never really consider it.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

some people get scared, some don't, it's somethin to do with their emotional makeup but i watch scary movies to be scared and i have seen just about every mainstream supernatural horror movie that's hit theatrical release in our lifetimes, even made a huge dent in the enormous pile of SEA/kor/jpn horror that flooded the market a decade ago

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Burkion posted:

I've never really

Okay so horror films do not scare me. I'm just not the kind of person who gets startled by that kind of thing. It's one reason I love the Friday films- they're just fun as gently caress.

So, horror games have never really scared me either. That's a value I do not attribute to them. Might be a reason why DbD never clicked with me. It's way more fun to run around Jason than it is a killer in DbD, which is what I care more about. With DbD you can't even properly run away from them unless they just get lost. They're always faster than you and it's way easier to lead them to some one actually doing poo poo.

DbD is likely the scarier game though. That's just such a nonfactor for me that I never really consider it.

I've basically reached a point where horror movies aren't going to scare me 90% of the time unless they really hit some specific things that bothers me, but I've been pleasantly surprised by how scary Friday can be at times.

It's genuinely creepy when you realize you're the only counselor on the map because everyone else is dead.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
I watch slasher movies because watching assholes get murdered is cathartic. gently caress those people.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
I think I've jumped more from a Jason than I have any DbD killers. I think it's to do with the amount of options available to Jason as opposed to "Walk. Hit. Pick up. Hook. Special ability" in DbD.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Skunkrocker posted:

I watch slasher movies because watching assholes get murdered is cathartic. gently caress those people.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Incels/

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Skunkrocker posted:

People say this about the F13 series all the time, but most of the characters in the series aren't assholes or even that unlikable. For every Chad there's a half-dozen Jennys or Kennys, just boring nice people who don't deserve to die.

Really makes me wonder what the percentage is of people who only want to play as Jason so they can kill Chads.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Horror movies of all types rule. Scary ones, funny ones, dreamlike ones, good ones, bad ones. All rule.

Get Shudder n watch horror movies all day erryday.

Watch giallos. They're slashers with great music. Tenebre is dope for example.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Pan's Labyrinth is a horror movie

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Jason's morph makes him a bit more dynamic too, if I'm chasing some dingus and hear the phone repair gently caress up noise, I'm dropping what I'm doing and morphing over. In DbD, regardless of what's going on around you, you really HAVE to chase down whoever you find until the end because otherwise you'll lose them and have to make the trek back to the generators.

One thing I do feel DBD does a bit better is that the hooks give your friends a chance to save you, and survivors seem more durable in general. If you're grabbed early on in F13 you get to spectate for 20 minutes no matter where your friends are. Mind you that wouldn't work in F13's setting, but still.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Danaru posted:

survivors seem more durable in general

quite an understatement lol they are like marvel super heroes in that game and the killers are lil bitch babbys compared to jason

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

People say this about the F13 series all the time, but most of the characters in the series aren't assholes or even that unlikable. For every Chad there's a half-dozen Jennys or Kennys, just boring nice people who don't deserve to die.

Really makes me wonder what the percentage is of people who only want to play as Jason so they can kill Chads.

Well in general slasher flicks are "bad people die, good people live." Not all, of course, but the majority stands. How do you define bad is the question. In Friday the 13th, good clean innocent teenage fun like sex and drugs is deemed bad, hence illegal to the Voorhees, and got you just as murdered as being an abusive boyfriend.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Phyresis posted:

quite an understatement lol they are like marvel super heroes in that game and the killers are lil bitch babbys compared to jason

Seriously, perked up survivors in that game might as well be fuckin Wolverine, even compared to max thick skin and medic on here, while killers pretty much only have bloodlust to help them by this point (The longer a chase goes, the faster they get) which is also real easy to break through a maybe exploit. I don't mean to turn it into DbDchat but man, the people on steam and wherever else that complain about balance in this's heads would spin if they looked over the summed up goofy poo poo in DbD.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 9, 2017

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Skunkrocker posted:

In Friday the 13th, good clean innocent teenage fun like sex and drugs is deemed bad, hence illegal to the Voorhees, and got you just as murdered as being an abusive boyfriend.

Great, except just as many if not more people who weren't even having sex get killed too. The "sex is bad" angle is some meta-narrative bullshit that people claimed was a theme or trope of the Friday the 13th series and it's not really true. I was watching Crystal Lake Memories the other day, the making-of documentary of the whole series, and somebody (possibly director Sean S. Cunningham) said that the reason that the teens who were having sex were getting killed was just a coincidence. They were teens, they were horny, and they would've been killed by Jason or Pamela Voorhees anyways whether or not they had sex.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The only explicit mention of sex being bad happened in Jason Goes To Hell, which was pointedly that Unprotected Sex was bad

And Jason X, which was so far into self parody that it was literally Jason Goes To Space.

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

King Vidiot posted:

Great, except just as many if not more people who weren't even having sex get killed too. The "sex is bad" angle is some meta-narrative bullshit that people claimed was a theme or trope of the Friday the 13th series and it's not really true. I was watching Crystal Lake Memories the other day, the making-of documentary of the whole series, and somebody (possibly director Sean S. Cunningham) said that the reason that the teens who were having sex were getting killed was just a coincidence. They were teens, they were horny, and they would've been killed by Jason or Pamela Voorhees anyways whether or not they had sex.

Yeah but it's almost always the pure and virtuous female that survives at the end.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Skunkrocker posted:

Well in general slasher flicks are "bad people die, good people live." Not all, of course, but the majority stands. How do you define bad is the question. In Friday the 13th, good clean innocent teenage fun like sex and drugs is deemed bad, hence illegal to the Voorhees, and got you just as murdered as being an abusive boyfriend.

The first two F13 films at least were a lot more ambiguous with the victims being "bad". Even Alice engaged in pot smoking and strip Monopoly and she was intended to be a recurring hero. People who had sex and did drugs weren't depicted with any other negative traits or even had outright positive ones.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Constantine XI posted:

Yeah but it's almost always the pure and virtuous female that survives at the end.

Eh, that's questionable.

Part 1 through 6 that's right out. Alice smokes weed and plays strip monopoly, Ginny is screwing around with her boyfriend and drinking, the girl from 3 sort of fits but is also clearly having sex with her boyfriend, Tommy is the survivor of 4, 5 and 6 and the 'final' girl of 6 is a kind of crazy party girl.

Tina is the closest you get and she survives because she's got super powers

Part 8 is the first one that you can begin to lay that claim to.

Jason Goes to Hell that's right out the window.

Jason X also no

Freddy VS Jason played that up as a joke

and it sure as gently caress didn't apply to the remake

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

MacheteZombie posted:

Horror movies of all types rule. Scary ones, funny ones, dreamlike ones, good ones, bad ones. All rule.

Get Shudder n watch horror movies all day erryday.

Watch giallos. They're slashers with great music. Tenebre is dope for example.

This guy gets it. :hfive:

Phyresis posted:

Pan's Labyrinth is a horror movie

:3:

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Well I don't mind being wrong. I'm a bigger fan of Elm Street than Friday so while I remember the films I freely admit I don't remember them very well.

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

Burkion posted:

Eh, that's questionable.

Part 1 through 6 that's right out. Alice smokes weed and plays strip monopoly, Ginny is screwing around with her boyfriend and drinking, the girl from 3 sort of fits but is also clearly having sex with her boyfriend, Tommy is the survivor of 4, 5 and 6 and the 'final' girl of 6 is a kind of crazy party girl.

Jason X also no

You are correct. I was mostly talking about the slasher genre in general, sorry for not clarifying.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Burkion posted:

Eh, that's questionable.

Jason X also no

I think the "Virgin survives" trope came from Halloween actually. Laurie is the only one who is your archetypal "Good Girl" character in that movie.

Face it, "Slashers" are a weird and wonderful subgenre that are basically American giallo fims (except franchises which are what they are) with a lot of tropes and things that everyone refers to (final girl is always good, black dude dies first) that aren't as common as they seem, or don't pop up in the movies they are attributed to. They're super fun though, and even the bad ones can be pretty charming in their own way.

I wouldn't say "Graduation Day" or "Prom Night" are great movies but they're interesting slashers for sure.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Skunkrocker posted:

Well I don't mind being wrong. I'm a bigger fan of Elm Street than Friday so while I remember the films I freely admit I don't remember them very well.

I was a bigger Elm Street fan than a Friday fan for a long time, but after watching both franchise almost back to back a couple years ago, I feel like Friday has a better run of movies than Elm Street. The original Nightmare and Dream Warriors own, but everything else is varying shades of crap. Part 2 is kinda fun though.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

As kind of an aside on Nightmare on Elm Street, it kills me that spandex stretched over a hole in a wall made for a more effective visual in the original movie, than the goofy CGI wall Freddy in the remake.

Same story for The Thing, the practical effects in there still look gross as hell and really neat, while the prequel or whatever was just chock full of CGI that stood out super hard.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

joylessdivision posted:

I was a bigger Elm Street fan than a Friday fan for a long time, but after watching both franchise almost back to back a couple years ago, I feel like Friday has a better run of movies than Elm Street. The original Nightmare and Dream Warriors own, but everything else is varying shades of crap. Part 2 is kinda fun though.

You loving take that back. 5 is good, drat it!

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Skunkrocker posted:

You loving take that back. 5 is good, drat it!

5 is boring. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

joylessdivision posted:

5 is boring. Sorry.

I'm starting to dislike you.

• Locked thread