Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

corgski posted:

The complete gap in the ARR main story between 46 and 49 is pretty fresh in my mind tbh, there were so many pacing problems in the whole latter half of that quest chain. I think I had to start doing leveling roulette for every level between 43 and 49, but then shot up to 52 almost immediately after I hit 49 because of all the MSQ exp at the end.

Agreed on the pacing there, they could do a much better job with it. But my original point was more that anyone proactively making use of other exp sources (using them whether or not you were behind the curve, rather than reactively using them only when behind the curve) would be overlevelled. This could, for example, lead to being level 49-50 when they got there in the first place, dodging that bullet.

Still agree with you that there shouldn't need to be a bullet to dodge in that segment, mind you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Speaking of being proactive while leveling; I'm curious what leveling in ShB is going to be like; this time we have ADR and MSQDR as additional xp sources. It seems like it might be very easy to get ahead of the curve. Not that it matters a ton.

DEAD GAY FORUM
Dec 18, 2018

the good posts were inside you all along

jalapeno_dude posted:

What quest are you talking about? You shouldn't be able to accept quests below your level.

A handful of quests in Idleshyre. I could accept the quests at 52 on my red mage, but when u went to turn them in, they were all red with level requirements of 58.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

You can accept quests above your level as long as you have another class that meets the requirements to turn it in. I was accepting and completing quests above my SAM's level while clearing out Azim Steppe quests and didn't notice until the time came to turn them in. There might be a lower limit that it checks for when accepting the quest that stops you from taking it but I never noticed one.

Also with all the crafting leveling talk let's not forget about the ixal quests. They're sort of a pain at first but now that they removed the level caps they're really good once you get high enough level to make HQ-ing everything easy.

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

IcePhoenix posted:

You can accept quests above your level as long as you have another class that meets the requirements to turn it in. I was accepting and completing quests above my SAM's level while clearing out Azim Steppe quests and didn't notice until the time came to turn them in. There might be a lower limit that it checks for when accepting the quest that stops you from taking it but I never noticed one.

Also with all the crafting leveling talk let's not forget about the ixal quests. They're sort of a pain at first but now that they removed the level caps they're really good once you get high enough level to make HQ-ing everything easy.

They don't have a lock in mechanism for the class you accepted the quest from either. Got a 70 crafter? Brute force your way to easy HQ and turn it in on the class you need to level

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TheShadowAvatar posted:

They don't have a lock in mechanism for the class you accepted the quest from either. Got a 70 crafter? Brute force your way to easy HQ and turn it in on the class you need to level

Yeah, I meant to put that in there but forgot :downs:

I've been leveling my crafters there by just making everything with my mid-high 60s CUL and then switching back to turn in..

This works for the Moogle quests as well, though once you get to mid 50s you should be able to do pretty much anything they need on the class you accepted the quest with.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I keep finding conflicting answers on this. I reopened my account (60 BLM on HW raids) and decided that so much had changed, I was going to make a new character altogether. Started a new one out of the box and have worked through to killing Ultima Weapon in the ARR story. I have HW and Stormblood installed and activated, but I can't figure out for the life of me how to trigger HW to start. Do I really have to go back through all the patch main scenarios between ARR and HW as well?

I may have mistakenly thought I could start HW if you finish ARR and are level 50. If that's the case, I might just go back to my original character.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Farking Bastage posted:

I keep finding conflicting answers on this. Do I really have to go back through all the patch main scenarios between ARR and HW as well?

There shouldn't be any conflicting answers to this.

Yes, you do.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Farking Bastage posted:

I keep finding conflicting answers on this. I reopened my account (60 BLM on HW raids) and decided that so much had changed, I was going to make a new character altogether. Started a new one out of the box and have worked through to killing Ultima Weapon in the ARR story. I have HW and Stormblood installed and activated, but I can't figure out for the life of me how to trigger HW to start. Do I really have to go back through all the patch main scenarios between ARR and HW as well?

I may have mistakenly thought I could start HW if you finish ARR and are level 50. If that's the case, I might just go back to my original character.

Unlocking HW is part of the MSQ.

So you have to keep progressing the MSQ to get to HW.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Farking Bastage posted:

The pricey option would be to buy a Tales of Adventure: A Realm Reborn on Mogstation for $18.00 US, which skips your character up to being able to start HW.
But failing that, yes, you actually need to do all the post-Ultima Weapon MSQ to reach HW. It's been a point of contention for some time.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Thanks guys. I think the playthrough I did do was beneficial after a couple of years off. The last thing I wanted to do was to be going back to HW at 60 and straight into Stormblood not knowing my rear end from a hole in the ground. That's not fair to group mates.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Farking Bastage posted:

Thanks guys. I think the playthrough I did do was beneficial after a couple of years off. The last thing I wanted to do was to be going back to HW at 60 and straight into Stormblood not knowing my rear end from a hole in the ground. That's not fair to group mates.

There is always between expansions patch content that is still part of the MSQ. That's what you were missing, basically. You needed to finish the MSQ from 2.1-2.55 to go from the end of ARR to HW.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

They way I tend to see it is that how much is your time worth to you? The patch MSQ takes quite a bit of time to complete, and unless you really want to see the drama within it unfold in real time (and the back half of it is pretty good imo) you could just read a summary of what happens and spend some cash.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

If you do the jump potion can you still view the cutscenes in the unending journey thingy in the hotel/personal rooms?

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

SettingSun posted:

They way I tend to see it is that how much is your time worth to you? The patch MSQ takes quite a bit of time to complete, and unless you really want to see the drama within it unfold in real time (and the back half of it is pretty good imo) you could just read a summary of what happens and spend some cash.

I'll probably just use my old character then. Experiencing that story was awesome the first time through, now it's kind of a hindrance. It's not like I have a ton of time invested in a lv50 with that road to 60 buff.

Mad Science
Jul 23, 2013

Azubah posted:

If you do the jump potion can you still view the cutscenes in the unending journey thingy in the hotel/personal rooms?

Yes, and I believe the game suggests you do exactly that immediately after you use a jump potion

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Farking Bastage posted:

I'll probably just use my old character then. Experiencing that story was awesome the first time through, now it's kind of a hindrance. It's not like I have a ton of time invested in a lv50 with that road to 60 buff.
That buff with the Ala Mhigan earrings is great, and I can't wait to get my Aetheryte earrings from the new preorder.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Emalde posted:

My advice is don't be fooled by the hilarious pricetags on any of the BA-related cosmetics/trade-in items, it'll all crash very soon.

:pwn: I didn't expect quite this soon. (This is the Orchestrion exclusively from the Ozma clear)

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Yeah a buddy of mine was trying to sell the zantetsuken SAM sword and it dropped from 5 mil to 400k over the course of a couple days.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Meanwhile I can't get a loving AV clear because people just refuse to use /magiaauto or kill the goddamn Wyverns :cripes:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

There are Wyverns in Aurum Vale?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

There are Wyverns in Aurum Vale?
Absolute Virtue. That's how bad Eureka is. They brought back FF11's most notoriously unfun boss.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Absolute Virtue. That's how bad Eureka is. They brought back FF11's most notoriously unfun boss.

FF14 Absolute Virtue is a fairly normal fight and has nothing in common with FF11 AV, to be fair.

He just has a gimmick where you have to do some poo poo before you even fight him so that you fight the beatable version and not the literally impossible version.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

FF14 Absolute Virtue is a fairly normal fight and has nothing in common with FF11 AV, to be fair.

He just has a gimmick where you have to do some poo poo before you even fight him so that you fight the beatable version and not the literally impossible version.
That's a bad gimmick.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yeah, its eureka

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's a bad gimmick.

I like it. It's in its own place where you know what you signed up for if you're there. It kind of evokes the IDEA of old school dungeons and traps without actually being all that grognardy.

The actual solution is neato. Use Perception, find a portal that leads to six rooms. Raid subdivides into six groups to fight monsters in all six rooms at once, this spawns a FATE outside the dungeon that is the source of AVs power. People outside the dungeon kill it, AV is now depowered to a normal fight.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vermain posted:

Elentor posted about the crafting RNG being bizarre somewhere back in the thread, although I don't remember the details much or if it applies to gathering.

I'm not sure if it applies to gathering but my bet is it applies to everything.

My posts start here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823905&pagenumber=1117&perpage=40#post486927664

And it goes for a while after that.

I also had thousands of crafting actions recorded for statistical analysis and some recorded events have odds that are orders of magnitudes less likely to occur than the already tiny margin of error from my sample pool, which is not a meaningful correlation but fun to ponder upon anyway. My conclusion is that FFXIV averages out over a long period but it has very low quality, streaky RNG. Someday, in the distant future, when I'm done doing statistical analysis of wow and then when I'm done doing some tools for PoE, I intend to make a nice statistical analysis of FFXIV's RNG for fun and post the results. My prediction is that they'll not be great.

Edit: I'll go and make a prediction, that FFXIV's entropy graph looks like System.Random's where the use of iteration and seeds are reversed and the entire RNG is a cutout section or zoom from a PRNG that never has time to properly diverge from the initial low-entropy results.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 19, 2019

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
So I'm currently working on leveling up all the crafts. Currently have Goldsmith, Carpenter, Weaver, and the 3 gatherers are 50+.

Where is this vendor that sells level 50 gather/crafting gear in Heavensward?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Jeweled crozier?

Just go on the MB, there’s dozens of HQ fedoras for 1500 gil.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Yes.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

:haibrow:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

:golfclap:

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Hey guys!

So, I'm making this post in the weird and probably incredibly desperate attempt to want to clear this tier of raiding. I've been in several statics as of late, but because of either internal drama or inability to recruit people, they've all broken up and the best members have just left to join better statics. Makes me kinda salty, but it's very understandable why people do this. I play on Mateus, so Aether / Crystal, and I just want to find a group of chill people that wants to help me clear this tier. I am no way near a top tier player. I main RDM ( check my terrible fflogs here https://www.fflogs.com/character/na/mateus/c%27anha%20tia ), but I can do summoner if need be. I'll just need time to practise the job, then. Other than that, I have several people who can attest to that I am a quick learner and I will do my best even if my latency prevents me from minmaxing my output. I do not expect to be carried and I am in no way asking to be carried because I will put in effort in what I do.

I should also note that I'm playing NA from EU, which is probably the biggest challenge. I can be available every weekday from 6PM GMT to 12AM GMT.
If possible, I have an incredibly good healer friend that also plays from EU that really wants to join me in clearing this tier. This is his fflogs, if anyone is interested. https://www.fflogs.com/character/na/mateus/xihsa%27li%20zuron#boss=61
His schedule is the same.

So if you know a static who are okay with some chill people joining in or are simply interested in joining us in trying to PUG this tier during these times, hit me up here or on discord as Kana#3668.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Bolow posted:

The extra magicite doesn't even effect your damage output I thought? It's just a straight defensive buff. Cassie's Earring and the Speed Belt on the other hand....

Speaking of which, BLM has unlocked a secret ability in Eureka. Gil Toss :v:

https://twitter.com/FFsfia/status/1097366047521353728

Despite this being insanely funny for other reasons, I'm glad I finally have video proof that I was right and melee don't have to stand there on the button for five GCDs. This boss is already torture as Monk.

Bleu fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 19, 2019

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Note Block posted:

Just chiming in to say I’m a big fan of yours, I’ve seen you around in Eureka and your presence literally always makes me smile and laugh. I’m L’appel Duvide on Ultros, if that rings any Eureka bells.

It's refreshing to see fans of the Legendary Hero Hoary Boulder! While I don't quite remember you, I will be sure to look out for you in the future so that we may flex and deploy other manly gestures.

Y'know the most common thing said to me is "where's Coultenet?". No one wants an autograph or a picture. Do I look like Coultenet's bloody keeper? Where's Coultenet? Not in Eureka because he has common sense! Your old pal Hoary has fallen on some hard times... he's had to do things he doesn't want to, like chasing bunnies in eureka.

Look I'm not asking a lot, just acknowledgement of any possible respect I have left...

Your Pal,
Hoary Boulder

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Eureka is trash

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Bleu posted:

Despite this being insanely funny for other reasons, I'm glad I finally have video proof that I was right and melee don't have to stand there on the button for five GCDs. This boss instance is already torture as Monk melee.

At least as a dragoon I have elusive jump and poo poo but the only other relic I'm working on is machinist so gently caress me I guess

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
https://www.polygon.com/2019/2/19/18232141/final-fantasy-14-fat-cat-naoki-yoshida-interview

quote:

Everyone loves Fat Cat. There’s so many Fat Cat items in game now! How do you feel about Fat Cat? Or do you prefer a different minion?

No matter where in the world you go, it always seems that Fat Cat is popular. I absolutely find Fat Cat cute, but it doesn’t have that characteristic Final Fantasy series feel to it, so as a producer/director for the game you could say I have mixed feelings. [laughs]
yoship no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Easy solution: Slap a pom pom on dat Fat Cat. Then you'll have your Final Fantasy Fat Cat.