Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Ryuga Death posted:

I think this is the appropriate thread to ask, but if not I'm sorry. I'll be taking my MSF soon and have been looking around for a bike. So far, I've taken a liking to the 2011 CBR250R. It seems like a nice starter bike, but since I'm new, I don't know if this is a stupid bike to go with for a newbie.

I get a magazine that had a shootout between the CBR250R, the Ninja 250, and some Chinese abomination. There are a lot of positive things being said about it, you probably won't go wrong with one of those.

New bikes will typically require a visit to the shop after a few hundred miles to get the break-in oil out and verify no bolts are gonna fall out. Keep that in mind, my vstar's first service was a $400+ ordeal. To avoid that, get a broken-in used one.

Edit to avoid stacking replies:

Z3n posted:

The ninja 250 will handle freeway better, is somewhat more powerful, (2 cylinder engine on the ninja makes better power than the single on the CBR). But if you don't do a lot of freeway, then the CBR will be a good choice, and the ABS is a HUGE incentive for new riders.

I would guess the difference is going to be fairly negligible in real-world highway performance. Honda has more torque where you'll actually be riding it, and you need to rev the Ninja to 11,000 to make <4 more horsepower than the Honda makes at <9,000.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The only reason I mention it is because some journos have said that at much more than around 75 the CBR really drags, whereas the 250 will do it's thing up to triple digits.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
Hey all,
Does anyone have thoughts on this bike/price? Edit: It's gone/sold.

Looks like a decent deal on an older BMW, could be fun to ride.

Dalrain fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 17, 2011

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

the walkin dude posted:

Yay :neckbeard: tomorrow I'll be riding a '07 CBR600RR that a friend of mine is selling.

My friend posted it for $7500 and is open to negotiation.

Bit late, but I sold my 2007 CBR600RR for $7500.

In 2008.

Hes really over-pricing the thing.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
That motorcycle-usa article on the CBR250 v. the Ninja 250R (http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/156/9136/Motorcycle-Article/2011-Kawasaki-Ninja-250R-Comparison.aspx) says that the Honda is more suited to just driving on the city rather than the freeway. I plan to just use my bike as a way to get to class, but there is a possibility of moderate freeway use somewhere. Also, the mileage, according to the same article, is much better on the Honda than the Kawasaki.

The Kawasaki was only averaging about 49 mpg, while the Honda was averaging around 64 mpg. The mileage is a rather big deal for me. What are your guys' personal experience with the 250R's mileage? I'd be happy with either vehicle (going to look into a used one, if possible), so it just comes down to which would serve me better in the long run and if the cons can be outweighed by the pros of each bike.

Sorry for the big wall of text.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ryuga Death posted:

That motorcycle-usa article on the CBR250 v. the Ninja 250R (http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/156/9136/Motorcycle-Article/2011-Kawasaki-Ninja-250R-Comparison.aspx) says that the Honda is more suited to just driving on the city rather than the freeway. I plan to just use my bike as a way to get to class, but there is a possibility of moderate freeway use somewhere. Also, the mileage, according to the same article, is much better on the Honda than the Kawasaki.

The Kawasaki was only averaging about 49 mpg, while the Honda was averaging around 64 mpg. The mileage is a rather big deal for me. What are your guys' personal experience with the 250R's mileage? I'd be happy with either vehicle (going to look into a used one, if possible), so it just comes down to which would serve me better in the long run and if the cons can be outweighed by the pros of each bike.

That increase in fuel economy is a very small change in consumption. You're talking an extra half gallon of gas every 100 miles. As has been noted, other than ABS, there's not really any advantages to the Honda.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ryuga Death posted:

Depends on how hard you hammer it, but I could rarely get my 02 ninja 250 to drop below around 50mpg. If I rode it gently, and kept the speed reasonable on the freeway, ~60mpg wasn't difficult.

Why are you concerned about gas mileage? If it's a cost concern, then you should really buy a cheap, previous gen ~$1500-2000 Ninja 250 instead of a new one. The savings will offset the higher cost of maintenance.

In the long run, I'd point you at the Ninja 250. More room to grow, more spares, cheaper parts, if you drop it it won't be a big deal, and loads of them out there, plus resale will be excellent if you ride it for awhile and decide you want a different bike.

You're not going to be able to find a used CBR250R with ABS which is, again, the only reason to own one. Buy a late 90s/early 00s Ninja 250 for ~$1500 and spend the rest on gear and a savings account for maintenance.

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

Depends on how hard you hammer it, but I could rarely get my 02 ninja 250 to drop below around 50mpg. If I rode it gently, and kept the speed reasonable on the freeway, ~60mpg wasn't difficult.

Why are you concerned about gas mileage? If it's a cost concern, then you should really buy a cheap, previous gen ~$1500-2000 Ninja 250 instead of a new one. The savings will offset the higher cost of maintenance.

In the long run, I'd point you at the Ninja 250. More room to grow, more spares, cheaper parts, if you drop it it won't be a big deal, and loads of them out there, plus resale will be excellent if you ride it for awhile and decide you want a different bike.

You're not going to be able to find a used CBR250R with ABS which is, again, the only reason to own one. Buy a late 90s/early 00s Ninja 250 for ~$1500 and spend the rest on gear and a savings account for maintenance.

There are other reasons than just ABS to buy the CBR250R. As has already been mentioned, the bike does perform better economically than the Ninja 250. Real world results (my friend whom I helped get the bike) are showing 67mpg commuting 23miles on the highway each way.

The CBR250r also has the advantage of being as much as 20lbs lighter in stock trim than the Ninja 250, helping to bridge the power gap between the two. In addition, you have much newer technology in the 250r, Fuel Injection, etc. Combined with Honda reliability, it's not a bad way to go.

That being said, the cost of a 250r is ridiculously high right now. They're great bikes, and certainly technologically superior to the Ninja250, but I don't think it's worth the increased initial cost. My friend happened to be the kind of guy who has a bug for Honda up his rear end, and wouldn't have been happy with anything else. If that's you, and you want a bike that's arguably much better than the Ninja 250, buy the CBR. You won't be disappointed.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

How's the CBR250R on the freeway? Does it seriously run out of steam at over 75 or is it still roughly comparable to the Ninja?

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

How's the CBR250R on the freeway? Does it seriously run out of steam at over 75 or is it still roughly comparable to the Ninja?

I haven't gotten a chance to personally ride it, but my friend didn't seem to have a problem crusing at about 85 on our commute in to work the other day. I'll see about throwing a leg over it tomorrow and give butt impressions.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I passed over the CBR600rr since my friend wasn't budging on the price.

I test-rode a jikser-750 yesterday. I couldn't do figure-8's on the thing, it was too bulky. The power was nice though. Pass.

Tomorrow I'll be looking at a '03 YZF-R6. Guy is "firm" on $3700.

http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/2441565260.html

~24,000 miles (actual miles a little less due to gearing )
Greggs custom flust mount turn signal
Micron high mount
GPR stabilizer
Clear alternatives Brake with integrated turn signals
Brand new battery.
Mich. Pilot powers in great shape
Woodcraft frame sliders
Spools/swing arm sliders
Tinted double bubble windscreen ( Zero Gravity I think )
Steel braided front brake lines, HH pads
Fork seals replaced recently
520 kit ( Either 1 down in front or 2 Up in Back, I'd have to double check )
I've put in new ignition coils and spark plugs ( there was a TSB on the ignition coils so I had them replaced )

I looked up the valve job interval. 26k! That's definitely something I don't want to manage with out of my pocket. Should I include such a job in the negotiation? How much do valve adjustment jobs tend to cost on I-4's?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

the walkin dude posted:

I passed over the CBR600rr since my friend wasn't budging on the price.

I test-rode a jikser-750 yesterday. I couldn't do figure-8's on the thing, it was too bulky. The power was nice though. Pass.

Tomorrow I'll be looking at a '03 YZF-R6. Guy is "firm" on $3700.

http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/2441565260.html

~24,000 miles (actual miles a little less due to gearing )
Greggs custom flust mount turn signal
Micron high mount
GPR stabilizer
Clear alternatives Brake with integrated turn signals
Brand new battery.
Mich. Pilot powers in great shape
Woodcraft frame sliders
Spools/swing arm sliders
Tinted double bubble windscreen ( Zero Gravity I think )
Steel braided front brake lines, HH pads
Fork seals replaced recently
520 kit ( Either 1 down in front or 2 Up in Back, I'd have to double check )
I've put in new ignition coils and spark plugs ( there was a TSB on the ignition coils so I had them replaced )

I looked up the valve job interval. 26k! That's definitely something I don't want to manage with out of my pocket. Should I include such a job in the negotiation? How much do valve adjustment jobs tend to cost on I-4's?

Jickser shouldn't have had any issues doing the figure 8, something else was going on there.

That's too much for an 03 R6, first of all. Second of all, none of those mods are really worth a poo poo. GPR dampers are single stage and not that great as a result, the Micron isn't going to add any power where you want it, most of that stuff is just minor cosmetic poo poo and maintenance items that should have been cared for already.

The valves are going to be at least a $500 job at a shop, potentially more as they're not going to be able to just check them, the cams are gonna need to come out.

I'd probably offer 2800 and walk if he doesn't take it. 500$ for the valve adjustment, the tires are probably shot, fork seals blown at 24k means it either sat for a long time or he was abusing them somehow (I've gone 50k on the same fork seals, no problems), and I believe the 03 R6s have a fairly weak gearbox due to only having 3 dogs on the 2nd gear, most of them develop 2nd gear issues if not ridden correctly. I'm not sure when the gearbox issue was fixed (they moved to a 5 dog 2nd gear), but most supersports are ridden by idiots who think they're racers and they have a tendency to frag gearboxes as a result.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I hear ya about the mods. He said he hasn't done the valve job. The 03 r6 had the tranny issue fixed. Ill check it out and offer for $1k under if it looks good.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
goddamn I need to move to the USA. 3700 on a 03 R6? I'd be lucky to find a good one for 5500. :(

Welp, at least I don't live in Norway I guess. :D

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Ryuga Death posted:

I would go with the Kawi. It's going to be much cheaper upfront since you can buy used (don't buy new, you're wasting your money). It's going to have infinitely more aftermarket parts and OEM replacement still will be easier to find too because there are so many bikes out there. It's going to be more comfortable due to the fact that it doesn't vibrate like an angry hornet (CBR is 1 cylinder so it vibrates a LOT). It's going to be MUCH more comfortable on the interstate; my 250 would tap out with stock gearing at 110mph indicated, so about 100mph actual. I used that bike as my SOLE method of transportation for a year and put 18,000 miles on it. That bike saw everything from stop-and-go traffic on city streets, to extended highway trips (>90 minutes), to aggressive mountain riding. It never gave me any issues or made me think "gently caress, I wish I had bought a different bike".

Maybe I'm biased but I think you'll outgrow the Honda much quicker and will be less happy with it in the long run.

deliverator
Aug 8, 2000
you know i'm your Hiro
Re: the Ninja 250 vs CBR 250 debate... For what it's worth, I currently have a VFR800 and (soon to be sold) ER-6n, and actually started on a new-generation Ninja 250r, and I still plan to buy the first CBR 250R-ABS I can get my hands on. I loved my little Ninjette and regret selling it, but the Honda does address the (few) shortcomings with fuel injection and better brakes. If Kawasaki could add those features to the Ninja Lite, I'd be all over that. The Ninja is still a better looking bike (in fact, when I had it, many people on fancy superbikes would tell me what a great looking bike I had) and it's proven itself in its niche.

Tiny, trivial detail I should mention: the CBR's fuel tank is sculpted better. It's not a real big deal but my knees were always against the flares on the Ninja tank. They tuck in under the flares on the Honda. I'm 5-11, 30 inseam. Otherwise, in side-by-side comparison I couldn't tell a difference in the riding posture.

Also, I got mileage in the low 50s riding like a hooligan (well, as much hooliganism as you can achieve on a Ninja 250). Freeway stretches were in the mid-60s.

Finally, don't think of either as a "starter bike." Ride it until you've learned enough to get a bigger one, then keep it as a spare. I've been bike-less from maintenance/damage and it sucks.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
What's wrong with the new-gen brakes? With properly bled (stock) lines running RBF600 and HH pads I could put the bike on the front tire with ease. With stainless lines you could get pretty drat close to two finger braking.

deliverator
Aug 8, 2000
you know i'm your Hiro
Nothing's wrong with the brakes, I just have lovely braking technique. :(

I know a lot of experienced riders think ABS is a crutch or a false sense of security, but I'm a real believer in it. Of course, I live in Seattle, land of rain, hills, rainy hills, and lousy traffic. And I suck at braking.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
This is my ABS sir (well 2 fingers)

I've never ridden a bike with ABS so I can't be a purist but I feel like it's be odd feeling. If it gets you stopped faster tho, it's worth it.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Is ABS on the front wheel only or the back wheel too? Because I lock the rear from time to time (you know, for fun) and couldn't imagine not being able to do that if I wanted to.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
While we're on the ninja 250 conversation:We(my family, or me and my dad, whatever) are looking to trade a bike.

Skip the backstory if you don't care and jump down to the bold.

Backstory is Dad bought an FZ6 to get back into riding and initially I was looking for a 250-500 to learn on. Dad decided that he was looking for something with a bit more power for easy cruising and bought himself an FZ1, leaving the 6 (silver/stock) for me to have as a first bike. Then, when my sister expressed an interest in riding, he bought her another 6(blue/PC/slip ons/various looks mods). It took me longer to feel like I could throw it around than a 500 or something smaller would have I think, but I managed and have been riding it since 2007.

For her, however, it was definitely too much bike. She had a couple low speed accidents and had trouble controlling it. I don't blame her, I started riding hers and it had the wrong map on a power commander, and is just harder in general to be smooth with than my bike.

So fast forward, she goes away and gets real busy with school, and we have one bike that collects dust until my tires need replacing, so I ride hers (lol still need a tire for mine). Now she's got some time, plus my other sister has expressed an interest as well. I figure we'll do it right this time and give them something easier to ride, plus to be honest I wouldn't mind a ninja to flog around and embarrass people by riding 'the pace' on backroads while they park it in turns. (The only reason I want to do this is my buddy's dad said one was "alright, for a girl bike" and I like making people eat words, his Magna is quick and pretty but can't hold the corner speed.)

Right, so if you made it thru all of that, here's specs on the bikes from my CL posting and some shots:
Short story from above is we have 2 FZ6s, it's too big a bike for my sister so I want to trade one for a two fiddy.

Stock FZ6/ Silver http://imgur.com/a/XtcL2#TXHja
8400 miles

Modded FZ6/ Blue http://imgur.com/a/7BpsK#izqq9
10600 miles
Scorpion pipes, Power commander
Lots of "looks mods" done by the previous owner, windshield, frame sliders, black plastic parts painted to match the blue, fender eliminator kit (cheap and held together with epoxy putty, planning on fixing this soon if I keep it), headlight mod

Both bikes need a rear tire soon, both have been involved in "parking lot drops" (first bikes) and have some scratches to show for it. The rear brake lever on the silver one is bent but fine, other bent levers have been replaced.

I've gotten interest almost immediately by a guy with a 2009 ex250j with 6000 miles. We'll probably meet to look at bikes tomorrow, what do you think of this trade? I don't know much about it yet, he's been less thorough than I was, but from the one cameraphone shot he sent it looks to be in good condition. I feel like with the markets they're about even but I've seen other FZ6's listed high(too high I thought but if they get that for it...?) but when I check blue book and compare the tire it needs, it seems pretty straight to me.

What's the CA thoughts?

edit: MY GOD....someone sent me a trade request looking to off a 05 DRZ SM. Looks like I might be getting rid of two FZ6s...I'd been dying for a sumo but I thought my bike wasn't worth enough to trade for older ones. I'm grinning as I type this, glad I put a feeler ad out.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 19, 2011

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

-Inu- posted:

I would go with the Kawi. It's going to be much cheaper upfront since you can buy used (don't buy new, you're wasting your money). It's going to have infinitely more aftermarket parts and OEM replacement still will be easier to find too because there are so many bikes out there. It's going to be more comfortable due to the fact that it doesn't vibrate like an angry hornet (CBR is 1 cylinder so it vibrates a LOT). It's going to be MUCH more comfortable on the interstate; my 250 would tap out with stock gearing at 110mph indicated, so about 100mph actual. I used that bike as my SOLE method of transportation for a year and put 18,000 miles on it. That bike saw everything from stop-and-go traffic on city streets, to extended highway trips (>90 minutes), to aggressive mountain riding. It never gave me any issues or made me think "gently caress, I wish I had bought a different bike".

Maybe I'm biased but I think you'll outgrow the Honda much quicker and will be less happy with it in the long run.

Where would I go about to buying a used one? What things should I look for in a used bike? Also, why is it a waste of money to get a new bike? At this point, I'm leaning more toward the Kawi than the Honda, but I don't want to make a decision just yet. Thanks for your reply.

deliverator posted:

Also, I got mileage in the low 50s riding like a hooligan (well, as much hooliganism as you can achieve on a Ninja 250). Freeway stretches were in the mid-60s.

Finally, don't think of either as a "starter bike." Ride it until you've learned enough to get a bigger one, then keep it as a spare. I've been bike-less from maintenance/damage and it sucks.

What do you mean by riding like a hooligan? Also, I don't quite understand why I shouldn't think of either bike as a starter one. Could you go into further detail?

Ryuga Death fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 19, 2011

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Ryuga Death posted:

Where would I go about to buying a used one? What things should I look for in a used bike? Also, why is it a waste of money to get a new bike? At this point, I'm leaning more toward the Kawi than the Honda, but I don't want to make a decision just yet. Thanks for your reply.

What do you mean by riding like a hooligan? Also, I don't quite understand why I shouldn't think of either bike as a starter one. Could you go into further detail?

He means you don't need to think of either as a step on the road to something bigger and better, as either could be used for just cruising around, commuting etc.

It's a waste of money to get a new Ninja 250 over a used one because (i) you're taking a depreciation hit for a "first bike" that will inevitably be dropped in a carpark at 5mph, and (ii) the Ninja/EX/GPX 250, although admittedly very substantially updated for 2008(?), dates from 1983.

It's like buying a new Chevy Cavalier. Only that's a bit unfair to Kwakkasaki as they have a comparatively good product.

[panic]
Aug 16, 2000

bounce bounce bounce
Quick question: What would you figure to be a fair price on a '10 stock Bonneville in great condition w/ 1,700 miles?

edit: Crappy picture

[panic] fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 19, 2011

deliverator
Aug 8, 2000
you know i'm your Hiro

Saga posted:

He means you don't need to think of either as a step on the road to something bigger and better, as either could be used for just cruising around, commuting etc.

Pretty much this. A couple months after I traded my baby Ninja in for a VFR800 and learned that muscling a big heavy bike around in Seattle traffic is a serious buzzkill, I was missing that little bike like a limb. You needn't consider a 250 as something you "outgrow."

Also, hooligan-ing on a Ninja 250 mostly means winding it up all the way, all the time, and taking advantage of its innate maneuverability to ride it through traffic like you're threading a needle. You don't need a liter bike to be a fool, any bike will do.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

deliverator posted:

Pretty much this. A couple months after I traded my baby Ninja in for a VFR800 and learned that muscling a big heavy bike around in Seattle traffic is a serious buzzkill, I was missing that little bike like a limb. You needn't consider a 250 as something you "outgrow."

Also, hooligan-ing on a Ninja 250 mostly means winding it up all the way, all the time, and taking advantage of its innate maneuverability to ride it through traffic like you're threading a needle. You don't need a liter bike to be a fool, any bike will do.

Oh, that's not what I thought of when I said starter bike. I intend to keep it for as long as possible, but I meant a starter bike as in one that would be easy for a beginner to ride on and have fun learning with.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
I know that the most suggested beginner bike here in CA is typically a Ninja 250, but I want a dual sport straight off. What would you suggest for a guy who is 6 foot 3 inches, long legs, and would use it for mostly town/freeway driving with occasional trail use? I haven't been on a motorcycle since I was a teenager, when I got to ride a Honda Hawk for all of an hour. Is the general rule don't get a super powerful monster? If so, would a DR-Z400 be a good starting point? They only have about 40 horsepower, and the ~400 cc should be enough to zip my big rear end around.

If there's a thread I missed that already answers this, please point me to it.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Luminous Cow posted:

I know that the most suggested beginner bike here in CA is typically a Ninja 250, but I want a dual sport straight off. What would you suggest for a guy who is 6 foot 3 inches, long legs, and would use it for mostly town/freeway driving with occasional trail use? I haven't been on a motorcycle since I was a teenager, when I got to ride a Honda Hawk for all of an hour. Is the general rule don't get a super powerful monster? If so, would a DR-Z400 be a good starting point? They only have about 40 horsepower, and the ~400 cc should be enough to zip my big rear end around.

If there's a thread I missed that already answers this, please point me to it.

If you are looking for a dual sport you can't go wrong with a DRZ-400. They're fine for a first bike and will last you. Even if you want more power someday, you will never "outgrow" it. If you do a lot of freeway riding you will find it buzzes and vibrates like a sonofabitch. I commute about 80 miles a day on my 400SM and it's tolerable. If you are going to be doing a lot of street/freeway riding you may want to think about finding an SM if you can and keeping a spare set of knobbies for your occasional trail use, but I never done that personally so maybe somebody else can chime in whether that's a good idea or not.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

"[panic posted:

"]
Quick question: What would you figure to be a fair price on a '10 stock Bonneville in great condition w/ 1,700 miles?

edit: Crappy picture

I have seen older Bonneville Blacks of comparable mileage dip into the 5s when the seller is motivated enough, but such deals would likely involve travel. Most ignore these acquisition costs and consider them part of the adventure--all depends on your POV and wallet.

Keep in mind that some 07+ Bonnies are partially or fully assembled in Thailand, and this may not have made it into the brochure. Right or wrong, rational or not, some will make value judgments based on country of origin, which can affect resale value if and when you choose to unload it. By most accounts, the VIN is coded differently so you should be able to tell one from another, even if there is no qualitative difference.

Think of the difference between a US and Mexican Stratocaster--Corona CA and Ensenada, Mexico are 200 miles apart, there are truckloads of parts moving between the sites all day long, and I'm sure they share personnel as well. In a blind test, most players probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Yet the US version is going to trump the MIM in the marketplace every time. Doesn't have to make sense, it just is. That said, if you were shopping for the US version, you wouldn't just ignore the s/n and hand over the cash.

[panic]
Aug 16, 2000

bounce bounce bounce
Thanks for the info. I personally don't really care about country of origin, but if it is Thailand I will certainly try to use that distinction as a negotiating point.

For what it's worth, the bike is listed for $6,500. That's not a bad price but it is the stock version, not T100 or SE.

MSRP on a brand new 2011 is $7,700, so I feel like $6,500 is maybe not worth the difference between buying used and getting one brand new. I really like some of the SE features (specifically the matching tach) but I could live without them for the right price. I think I will see if the guy will go down to $5,700 or so and if yes make the purchase. Is that a fair deal or am I lowballing?

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

"[panic posted:

"]
Thanks for the info. I personally don't really care about country of origin, but if it is Thailand I will certainly try to use that distinction as a negotiating point.

For what it's worth, the bike is listed for $6,500. That's not a bad price but it is the stock version, not T100 or SE.

MSRP on a brand new 2011 is $7,700, so I feel like $6,500 is maybe not worth the difference between buying used and getting one brand new. I really like some of the SE features (specifically the matching tach) but I could live without them for the right price. I think I will see if the guy will go down to $5,700 or so and if yes make the purchase. Is that a fair deal or am I lowballing?

Check for a "T" in char 11 of the VIN. If you find it, pretend to be dejected because you're...I don't know, 15th in line to the British throne and must have a J-coded Hinckley. Reality is that they've been incorporating Thai components for years, but the full builds are a more recent phenomenon. He's probably just trying to pay off the note and be done with it. If you start at 5700, you're going to wind up at 6K+. Start at 5200 if your target is 5700.

Similar bike, miles, Thai origin just went for 6, so you're right in the ballpark (although I find it ironic that a zero feedback seller was ranting about zero
feedback bidders):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Last-carburated-Bonneville-Black-upgrades-/130534234695?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item1e64725a47#v4-35

Follow this thread:

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-talk/81975-where-is-my-triumph-made-3.html

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Luminous Cow posted:

would a DR-Z400 be a good starting point?

In a word: Perfect.

They're super fun, upgradeable, forgiving and they crash well (read: cheaply). Consider the sumo option if you're likely to do a lot more road than dirt, you can always shove some distanzias on the SM wheels and do both.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 25, 2011

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
panic -

comparable unit on ebay for $5250, upstate NY:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAG-WHEEL-BONNEVILLE-BLACK-/270772561359?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item3f0b4d65cf

Toshi
Oct 14, 2005
I'm in CA looking for my first ninja 250, I have a budget of $2500 for the bike. I was hoping to get a 2008+ is that reasonable or should I expect to mostly find 2007's for that much. Other than craigslist and ebay, what other bike websites should I be crawling for deals.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Toshi posted:

I'm in CA looking for my first ninja 250, I have a budget of $2500 for the bike. I was hoping to get a 2008+ is that reasonable or should I expect to mostly find 2007's for that much. Other than craigslist and ebay, what other bike websites should I be crawling for deals.

You might find a 2008+ for that, but it will probably be rough. You can find a very nice '07 and below for that.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

OK, seriously might be buying this bike this coming weekend. 1990 Honda Hawk. This guy is the second owner. Cop was the original owner, stopped riding it in '94, apparently. This guy got it, did the usual carb cleaning, fluids, plugs, and rubber in the spring. Under 4,000 miles. Asking $2,400 but said he would do $2,100. He is apparently still riding it often so I know it's a good runner.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Not a bad deal, those bikes have a weird cult following, 2000$ would be better but 2100 seems ok if it doesn't need anything for a while.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

infraboy posted:

Not a bad deal, those bikes have a weird cult following, 2000$ would be better but 2100 seems ok if it doesn't need anything for a while.

Yeah, it's part of the draw for me. I love the weird early naked sportbike styling, and I hear it's smaller and agile. I'm like 5-10.5" so I think it should be a good fit, I hear once you get over 6' tall it feels too small.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Alrighty goons there is an empty space between my GS500 and ZX-6r that i'd like to fill within the next few months between 5000-6000$:

1000cc sportbikes: Yeah I know they're stupidly fast and i'd never use most of the power but I still WANT one and have pretty good money to afford one + insurance and all. I know my 636 is stupidly fast already but I want to feel how much more extreme these are.

954RR - I really like these for some reason, a bit older but definitely more than enough power still, and they just look awesome. Pretty easy to find good deals on.

06-07 CBR1000rr - I really like these too, after reading endless reviews these years seem to be the better of the previous gen cbr 1000, i've looked into 08+ models but they're a little more than i'd like to spend on the used market.

05-06++ GSX-R 1000: - Apparently these won comparos across the board, and every review loves the engine, ergos,slipper clutch, gear indicator, etc. This would be my ideal choice personally, a little tricky to find one that isn't horribly squidded and for a good price because IT'S A JIXXAH.

Ninja ZX-10: These seem a little underrated even though their engines are pretty wild afaik, the earliest ones are kinda ugly to me but they got better looking as the generations have moved on, I kind find some of these at great prices though so it's an option.

Yamaha R1: I love the styling of them, thats about it, most are over priced here in CA from what i've seen, theres a lot of weird variations from year to year and in 07 I think they moved back to 4/valve heads.

Comedy option 1: Supermoto of some sort, i've been told to get one because they're awesomely fun. But i'm a total poser and like fully faired bikes too.

Comedy option 2: Honda VFR 5th or 6th gen, I love the sound the 5th gen makes with it's gear driven cams and less complicated non-vtec system, the 6th gen is kind of pretty though. It'd be kind of cool to have a V4 engine to change things up in the stable.

I tend to commute a lot on highways and there are a bit of backroads on the way as well, I commute to Sonoma wine country now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Why?

Why have a ZX6-R, a GS500 and a liter bike?

Get something cool. You've got the inline 4 bike thing covered. It'll be a good bit faster than your ZX6-R but personally I don't understand the garage you are trying to build.

Get an Aprilia or a Ducati, a liter bike twin for something different, or get a nice supermoto or something cool like a cafe or a GT1000.

Maybe it's just me but having those three bikes in the garage seems boring as hell. You'll just find you ride one all the time and sell the other two.