Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I'd hope I'd get the power to be like a super accounting power or the ability to code really well.

But yea, I'd probably just be one of those inhumans that looks weird without anything useful.
Yeah, being a big loving nerd is definitely on top of my list of superpowers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Kinda digging tchallas hulkbuster armor

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Knowing about Eldrac there's no way I'd take a gamble on the Terrigen Mists.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Mettle was Pacific Islander, not black.
Apologies, I've not re-read Avengers Academy in a while, and I forgot what he looked like when not Mettled.

X-O posted:

Knowing about Eldrac there's no way I'd take a gamble on the Terrigen Mists.
Or Lockjaw.

(That retcon that it was all a prank was bullshit. Although I will accept the theory that Lockjaw is in a fact a dog, but Terrigenesis gave him the ability to talk that he prefers not to use. Or he's an actual Inhuman who made lemons out of lemonade by figuring 'now I can poo poo wherever I want!' :smugdog:)

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
It's too bad they retconned the Alpha Primitives into being humans that were exposed to a different mist(Thanks to Slott and his hideous Mighty Avengers run). The idea that terrigenesis could backfire was a cool and it would have been a much better part of the current storyline if for every 100 Kamala Khans someone got turned into a caveman. That would make the whole world a lot less attracted to the idea.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

pretty sure it can still kill you, can't it?

like you can fail in the transformation or something, not just mutant allergies

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

PaybackJack posted:

It's too bad they retconned the Alpha Primitives into being humans that were exposed to a different mist(Thanks to Slott and his hideous Mighty Avengers run). The idea that terrigenesis could backfire was a cool and it would have been a much better part of the current storyline if for every 100 Kamala Khans someone got turned into a caveman. That would make the whole world a lot less attracted to the idea.

you should really read about the Alpha Primitives. http://marvel.com/universe/Alpha_Primitives

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Steve cap 5 is definitely one of the better issues in cw2 so far

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Mr Hootington posted:

you should really read about the Alpha Primitives. http://marvel.com/universe/Alpha_Primitives

That page doesn't note that Dan Slott retconned their creation during his Might Avengers run, his retcon is that they were humans who were exposed to XENOgenic mist which the evil former Inhuman king was going to use to hill the Kree.

It's more explained on the wiki pages. Those Marvel pages are usually not very current. The Inhumans series by Jenkins/Lee became cannon if I recall because it's referrenced during Silent War. and Woz showed up in the Civil War: X-Men book.

Yeah I know it's comics and there's been a million retcons since the original story that they were just made in a lab but the story that they were all "failed" inhumans cast out of their city to work in the darkness is the best one..

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PaybackJack posted:

That page doesn't note that Dan Slott retconned their creation during his Might Avengers run, his retcon is that they were humans who were exposed to XENOgenic mist which the evil former Inhuman king was going to use to hill the Kree.

It's more explained on the wiki pages. Those Marvel pages are usually not very current. The Inhumans series by Jenkins/Lee became cannon if I recall because it's referrenced during Silent War. and Woz showed up in the Civil War: X-Men book.

Yeah I know it's comics and there's been a million retcons since the original story that they were just made in a lab but the story that they were all "failed" inhumans cast out of their city to work in the darkness is the best one..

Some of the Jenkins new Inhumans got their own book at one point as well.

It was bad.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
There's a special episode of "Jay and Miles X-Plain the X-Men" this week where Jay just sits on a couch with Al Ewing for an hour and a half.

http://www.xplainthexmen.com/2016/09/x-tra-sofa-special-feat-al-ewing/

Skip to around 34:30 for important comics mustache news.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
So I've been reading through Brubaker's Captain America run on Marvel Unlimited after a ton of recommendations. At one point they have a backup story featuring Riki Barnes as Nomad. Has Marvel ever mentioned bringing her back? I know she gets "killed" in Onslaught but she seemed like a decent enough character and would fit with a lot of the younger heroes.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Wanderer posted:

There's a special episode of "Jay and Miles X-Plain the X-Men" this week where Jay just sits on a couch with Al Ewing for an hour and a half.

http://www.xplainthexmen.com/2016/09/x-tra-sofa-special-feat-al-ewing/

Skip to around 34:30 for important comics mustache news.

Along those lines, Kieron Gillen's Decompressed podcast is apparently back, and he talks with Al Ewing in the first one, too. That one was pretty great, and it looks like he's got Jonathan Hickman on the next one.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

So, we're starting to get the Now comics next week, close to three months before the end of CW2, presuming there are no further delays.

It'll be interesting to see how Champions alludes to the event. If it's still set in the aftermath, I'm guessing incredibly vaguely. Probably more vague than was planned.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is Avengers Assemble still horrible? I just saw that they have had both Ms Marvel and Captain Marvel in it. Also Angela?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The ms marvel eps were decent and carol is a cocky jackass so they got her new character down i guess but no i wouldnt say the show itself has gotten any better or worth the trouble getting into

I dont remember ever seeing angela either but all 3 seasons have been entirely forgettable so that memory may have just washed away

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

site posted:

The ms marvel eps were decent and carol is a cocky jackass so they got her new character down i guess but no i wouldnt say the show itself has gotten any better or worth the trouble getting into

I dont remember ever seeing angela either but all 3 seasons have been entirely forgettable so that memory may have just washed away

I checked and she was actually in the Guardians cartoon, which I have never seen. I admit, I enjoy Ultimate Spider-Man enough, but that's more because he's got a good team with him and they go outside of the Spider-Man universe for stuff.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

site posted:

Carol is a cocky jackass so they got her new character down

How is that her "new" character? She was always like that.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
There's probably something to be said about how Carol's portrayal has shifted over the years. Under Claremont, she was calmly self-confident because she was very competent, though not without error.

Post-Rogue, she became an increasingly tragic character, until Busiek, who wrote her as having a hair-trigger temper and brought her out of her alcoholism. Which is fine, as far as it goes, as a big part of her arc is that the modern Carol lost a lot of herself to Rogue that she would never get back, so that would naturally come with a lot of anger and a personality shift.

Then Brian Reed comes along, and he writes Carol as starting from the ground up, gradually becoming more self-confident as she goes, but still prone to error and increasingly cocky. DeConnick builds off of that to basically write the modern Carol as the stereotypical fighter pilot: a self-assured risktaker.

Weirdly, I think Warren Ellis, of all people, wrote the closest thing to Claremont's Carol in Avengers: Endless Wartime.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Trast posted:

So I've been reading through Brubaker's Captain America run on Marvel Unlimited after a ton of recommendations. At one point they have a backup story featuring Riki Barnes as Nomad. Has Marvel ever mentioned bringing her back? I know she gets "killed" in Onslaught but she seemed like a decent enough character and would fit with a lot of the younger heroes.

I don't believe so. There's an odd resistance to giving Cap a sidekick/teen counterpart. The closest is Ms America Chavez, and beyond wearing a blue t-shirt with a star on it, there's not much connection.

I really liked Riki, and the Nomad miniseries had some kickass covers and a great moment at the end, where Black Widow finally gets Cap (Bucky at the time) to meet with her after the 616 version of her brother died during the events of the mini.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
She wouldn't even have to be a Cap sidekick. Having her as Nomad and palling around with say Kate Bishop or Ms Marvel would be fun.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think the best use of Carol was when she was in that coma ward or like 10 years.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
This week's kingpin was a better punisher story than the punisher book

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Batman is like half as good as Vision

So basically I should give DC another chance because half as good as Vision is p.loving good

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
If you want to read a DC comic written by Tom King then The Omega Men is the correct choice.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Thank god they didn't go with the stupid "Julian Day is super strong early in the year, but becomes a decrepit old man at the end of the year....so lets have him shoot all the guns" thing they implied from the Rebirth 1.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

If you want to read a DC comic written by Tom King then The Omega Men is the correct choice.

And his Vertigo comic, Sheriff of Babylon is even better.

e: Grayson ain't nothing to sneeze at neither.

Don't let company ties stop you reading Tom King comics.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 3, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

There's some indie book you kept on saying people should buy Teenage Fansub, was that Sheriff of Babylon?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The recent Vertigo ones I recommend are Unfollow and that, but my indie recs for the day are Low and House of Penance.
Everybody read what I tell them, thanks.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 3, 2016

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

There's some indie book you kept on saying people should buy Teenage Fansub, was that Sheriff of Babylon?

Sheriff of Babylon is right up there with The Omega Men, yes.
Edit: Check out this great writeup comparing Vision, Omega, and Babylon

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 3, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Teenage Fansub posted:

The recent Vertigo ones I recommend are Unfollow and that, but my indie recs for the day are Low and House of Penance.
Everybody read what I tell them, thanks.

I read Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur and it was fun, so I trust you.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

site posted:

Kinda digging tchallas hulkbuster armor

the kitty ears make this armour.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Wanderer posted:

I can definitely see how, especially in the Marvel Universe, a bunch of normal people faced with a potential source of an origin might decide to stick around and go for it.

That said, most of the really unfortunate Inhumans seem to be conveniently offstage a lot of the time, so that might influence the decision a bit. I get the feeling nobody is publicizing the notion that you might die or end up wearing your organs on the outside or something.

Come to think of it, few if any of the new-generation Inhumans ended up with anything that was seriously disfiguring.

Think of all the geeks who live in the real world and avidly follow anime, comics, or bad fantasy, finding succour from reality only through the juvenile power fantasies they play out in their heads daily while never having the characteristics or drive to be one of the special people in even a more grounded realistic way. Then think of how frustrating living in a world where some people get impossible abilities that make them special JUST COS would be, where there is even more of a gap between what some people have and what others could ever achieve. Finally here come the Terrigen Mists to make them as special as they've always wanted to be.

Then their dick falls off and they lose all their hair and become so rotund they can only move by rolling and the unfairness of the world continues.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Neurosis posted:

Then their dick falls off and they lose all their hair and become so rotund they can only move by rolling and the unfairness of the world continues.

Sensational new character find of 2016?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

oh yeah I saw that comic where that happened to Princess Peach.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, being a big loving nerd is definitely on top of my list of superpowers.

Well, I meant have a power that was actually useful in some way in the regular world. Like if I could have any super power in the real world, I'd want to be Doug Ramsey. You'd always be able to find good employment if you can speak literally any language.

Failing that, healing factor.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I would rather have a superpower to have all the money I will ever want or need so I don't need to work at all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Endless Mike posted:

I would rather have a superpower to have all the money I will ever want or need so I don't need to work at all.

You would be jailed for some kind of economic crime.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

You would be jailed for some kind of economic crime.
I would use my money to hire only the best lawyers. Truly the best lawyer in the world.

Also I'd be rich and white, so even if I lost, I'd get house arrest at worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Me, I'm a guy of simple tastes. I just wanna fly. Be it wings, telekinesis, rocket farts, whatever man, just let me soar with the eagles.

Not enough to actually risk ending up like that dude X-O mentioned though, uh-uh.

Twisted makes a good point, Doug's would be useful as hell (which is funny considering he was always kind of seen as the lamest of the gang).

• Locked thread