Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

CHEATED ON HIS WIFE, SLEPT WITH PROSTITUTES ON FBI TAPES, JACQUELINE KENNEDY SAID MLK WAS TAPE-RECORDED BY FBI PLANNING A SEX PARTY
Yeah PPL is constant working out with only 1 rest in a week, so it pretty much hits everything twice, maybe a bit much in retrospect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Wow I just tried one of these

And this poo poo is fuckin tart wow.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well they're not called amino bases

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Well they're not called amino bases

:smuggo:

Are amino acids worth buying?

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

No

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
I'm sure I've asked this in this thread before, but what preworkouts are you guys using these days? I want something that doesn't have an absurd amount of caffeine. Just been taking half a caffeine pill and bronkaid most nights, sometimes with Hemavol when I'm doing arms.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Original APS Mesomorph was the loving business. Cant get original any more in Aus (just the lovely new formula) but if you can find the Original Formula With DMAA in it then get ready for face melting rage. Nothi g has ever made me rage so hard in my life and i've tried many dozens of PWO's

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
thats cuz its meth

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Yeah nah

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

bug chaser chaser posted:

:smuggo:

Are amino acids worth buying?

The performix 922 BCAAs are tasty and low calories so I use them as a refreshing drink, but lol if you think amino acids are going to make any noticeable difference

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Constipated posted:

I'm sure I've asked this in this thread before, but what preworkouts are you guys using these days? I want something that doesn't have an absurd amount of caffeine. Just been taking half a caffeine pill and bronkaid most nights, sometimes with Hemavol when I'm doing arms.

Coffee, if anything, but I'm also a lot more recreational about working out than I used to be.

Is there evidence on efficacy for anything but creatine, BCAAs, caffeine and beta-alanine?

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
I like the Mio caffeine kind as a preworkout. I can add a squirt for ~40mg or a couple for more. Way cheaper than preworkout and I can add beet root powder and creatine to it easily.

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

CHEATED ON HIS WIFE, SLEPT WITH PROSTITUTES ON FBI TAPES, JACQUELINE KENNEDY SAID MLK WAS TAPE-RECORDED BY FBI PLANNING A SEX PARTY
Is it OK for my toes to lift off the ground when squatting? This disappears once I'm under a heavy enough load, but if I'm squatting with a light or no load my toes like to lift off the ground.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
It means youre not squatting properly and not activating your hams. You need to learn to sit back more and drive through the heels

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Sludge Tank posted:

It means youre not squatting properly and not activating your hams. You need to learn to sit back more and drive through the heels

Toes up sounds like he's sitting back too much.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Eldred posted:

Coffee, if anything, but I'm also a lot more recreational about working out than I used to be.

Is there evidence on efficacy for anything but creatine, BCAAs, caffeine and beta-alanine?

Beta alanine tingles are nice until the day you overdo it.

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

Sludge Tank posted:

Think sassassin may be right here, I definitely do think I'm driving through the heels considering half of my feet that's not the heels is off the ground. And sometimes I do feel like I'm going to fall over on my back. Putting on heavier weights helps keep my feet more firmly planted on the ground and makes me more stable though, so I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. Plus my hamstrings feel sore and I hear that's a Bad Thing.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

That happens to me in my warmup sets if I have a too narrow stance which prevents me from leaning forward enough.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Constipated posted:

Adrenal Rush V2, I was getting it from here for a time while it was buy one get one but I don't think I can justify dropping $40 on 30 servings right now

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

sassassin posted:

Beta alanine tingles are nice until the day you overdo it.

That car ride when you take it before you hit the gym. Hands tingling on the steering wheel, anticipation of the workout...
Man, sometimes i miss having to drive to the gym.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Ah sorry i read that wrong. I was having the opposite problem (was springing on my toes)

Maybe post a video of form?

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather
i find that a nice cue for squats is "keep the weight over mid foot"

if you're doing that, your feet should not move

https://startingstrength.com/training/mid-foot-balance-a-master-cue

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Sludge Tank posted:

Ah sorry i read that wrong. I was having the opposite problem (was springing on my toes)
I had that problem when I first started lifting so I put weights under my heels like a goober. When I started lifting heavier I just ditched the weights one day and the problem was gone.

Started deadlifting again today. My butt hurts.

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

So I did the low-bar method for squatting today as recommended by Rippetoe, and the toes lifting off seems to have solved itself where the toes are able to maintain light contact with the floor throughout the lift, so there's that I guess.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
The best part of low bar squatting is being the only person in the gym that low bar squats.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I honestly dont know how people highbar squat. It feels so insanely uncomfortable for me. I cant even rest 60kg on my traps.

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

It might not actually be a low-bar/high-bar thing, I just did some random highbar-style squats (sans the bar) in my room just to keep my legs flexible and my toes stopped flexing upwards, just had to make the stance slightly wider like UnfurledSails said. My toe muscles still vibrate quite a bit and they do not actually touch the ground but there's no huge obvious half-of-my-feet-off-the-ground thing going on. Might just be a muscle control issue. I actually prefer the highbar style because I can go super low, while my torso pretty much stops me from going as low on a lowbar squat.

There's some writing on how the hamstrings get used more on a lowbar style squat but I'm not really feeling it, so :shrug:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Sludge Tank posted:

I honestly dont know how people highbar squat. It feels so insanely uncomfortable for me. I cant even rest 60kg on my traps.

get stronger traps, u weak babyman

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

high bar squats make my lower back hurt. perhaps i squat too low and allow my lower back to go into flexion.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Sludge Tank posted:

Get a narrower grip on the bar so your traps bunch up.

ham_sanitizer posted:

high bar squats make my lower back hurt. perhaps i squat too low and allow my lower back to go into flexion.

Or you bend over when "squatting too low" instead of keeping upright when sitting down.

I see a lot of people doing that for the last six inches because they're focused on the bar moving in the mirror for depth. With high bar you want to stay as tall as possible through the movement.

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

hmm. maybe i should let my knees track forward more in that case. they are slightly behind my toes as it is.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ham_sanitizer posted:

hmm. maybe i should let my knees track forward more in that case. they are slightly behind my toes as it is.

Knees behind toes is a low bar thing so yeah.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
And even then, knees slightly forward of toes isn't always an issue. See: Max Aita and Chad Wesley Smith squat coaching videos.

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

yeah alan thrall says the same thing. i just have long femurs so my calves stay relatively vertical.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Vertical calves on a high bar squat requires some olympic-level hip mobility and/or ligament damage (see appropriate image searches).

In high bar you sit down instead of back so your knees pretty much have to move somewhere to get out of the way.

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

sassassin posted:

Vertical calves on a high bar squat requires some olympic-level hip mobility and/or ligament damage (see appropriate image searches).

In high bar you sit down instead of back so your knees pretty much have to move somewhere to get out of the way.

bottom of my high bar squat

bottom of my low bar squat

i guess my calves aren't as vertical as i thought in high bar

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I'm about to cook chorizo and eggs.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Chief McHeath posted:

It's chourico around these parts.

We also have linguica burgers and linguica dogs. It's pretty much the same stuff but in convenient patty and hotdog form factors.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Chief McHeath posted:

Don’t bother me unless that means you’re about to suck a dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ham_sanitizer posted:

bottom of my high bar squat

You could stay a little taller and let your knees drift a little more imo. Might help your back.

Or make it worse.

Have you tried front squats?