Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Goatman Sacks posted:

So, GOP non-person Chris Christie wants to build a dune to prevent another Sandy from causing 30 billion dollars in damage to his state. People with shore property don't want their first floor view of the ocean obstructed, so they're doing everything they can to oppose it. Anyway, Christie is saying gently caress you, we'll save money by doing this. This makes him a big government RINO.

Artificial dunes don't do poo poo for storm protection (unless given a decade or more to naturalize), nor does armoring the shoreline (as Sea Bright found out). The best thing you can do for the New Jersey coast is blow up every jetty, groin, and seawall. Anything you build on a barrier island should be considered a temporary structure, and the overwash everyone tries so hard to block is what builds elevation there in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Crasscrab posted:

I think that's an unfair thing to say about Scientologists. Not everyone in Scientology is affiliated with the shadiness that occurs at the executive level. Yes, as an institution Scientology is a profit driven religion. But it still provides the same communal and spiritual at a personal level for many adherents. An interesting book that I recently read is Inside Scientology: The Story of America's Most Secretive Religion. It's a really interesting story.

I also don't see why Matt and Trey took such offense to Scientology. The religion is basically a religious form of libertarianism.

A family friend lost over $150,000 to Scientology before she got wise to it. It wasn't David Miscavige that flew in from LA to bang at her door, hunt down her phone number whenever she changed it, and generally terrorize her etc. It was other Scientologists.

gently caress Scientology.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I do like how the revelation of Scientological(?) doctrine is done like the old Greco-Eastern mystery cults where you had to slowly get initiated into it before you learned the good news about Sol Invictus/ Dionysus/ This-a-here Snake Who I Swear Knows Him Some Secrets.

Though Scientology seems to structure these revelations more like a cross between an MLM and an MMO talent tree.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
ed

Total derail. Rush Limbaugh is a meanie pants.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 3, 2013

poor nose
Oct 29, 2005

Hey guys can we talk about dumb poo poo Rush and Hannity say? I like that part about this thread....

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

poor nose posted:

Hey guys can we talk about dumb poo poo Rush and Hannity say? I like that part about this thread....

Here is Limbaugh actually gloating about making the world a worse place.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

And here indeed is Fox News trying to spin today's more positive than expected jobs report:

http://www.mediamatters.org/blog/2013/05/03/foxs-jon-scott-bungles-the-labor-force-particip/193902

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Oh, God. gently caress this dumb loving South Park poo poo. This is worse than when there 3 pages of wrestling posts. Can we stick to "dumb poo poo dumb person on the radio or FOX said"? I wandered in here after one day, saw three new pages and assumed Rush managed to top himself somehow and had reached a new low.

Nope. Matt and Trey.

Thank you Vertical Lime. That's what this thread is for.

poor nose
Oct 29, 2005

I have always wondered why more ultra conservative Christians don't get more upset with Rush when the man compares himself with God on a daily basis by stating that his "Talent is on loan from God!". How is that not viewed as a blasphemous statement?

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

poor nose posted:

I have always wondered why more ultra conservative Christians don't get more upset with Rush when the man compares himself with God on a daily basis by stating that his "Talent is on loan from God!". How is that not viewed as a blasphemous statement?

It's almost as if a great number of American Christians aren't actually all that serious or knowledgeable about their faith and only call themselves Christians or go to church out of a sense of tribalism and because church is the only place to socialize in Bumfuck, TX.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

FOX News Guest: Reason gave us the Holocaust

quote:

You know the Age of Enlightenment and Reason gave way to moral relativism. And moral relativism is what led us all the way down the dark path to the Holocaust...Dark periods of history is what we arrive at when we leave God out of the equation.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Oh, God. gently caress this dumb loving South Park poo poo. This is worse than when there 3 pages of wrestling posts. Can we stick to "dumb poo poo dumb person on the radio or FOX said"? I wandered in here after one day, saw three new pages and assumed Rush managed to top himself somehow and had reached a new low.

Nope. Matt and Trey.

Thank you Vertical Lime. That's what this thread is for.

Hey buddy, it's going to be ok, I promise.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

poor nose posted:

Because given the fact that we are all created in His image and he bestows it upon us, all talent should be considered on loan from God :smug:
(This was his actual defense in one of his two awful books I read as a teenage Republican)

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Ah yes, reason is what led Hitler to the conclusion that Jews, a small minority within the nation of Germany, caused them to lose WWI. Yes. That is a reasonable and not completely irrational conclusion brought on by preconceived antisemitic beliefs!

I also like how they completely forget about how America would not exist if not for the Age of Enlightenment.

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 3, 2013

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Because given the fact that we are all created in His image and he bestows it upon us, all talent should be considered on loan from God :smug:
(This was his actual defense in one of his two awful books I read as a teenage Republican)

Those books were the worst. I posed an excerpt in a D&D thread once, I wish I could find it - it was his defense of sexual harassment after a professor got banned from a pool for bringing in a snorkel and goggles so that he could swim under women and stare at their breasts the whole time they were swimming. This banning was obviously an attack on the institution of masculinity itself, and it included something along the lines of "What are they going to do next, ban masturbating in the locker room? You can't even be a man anymore!!"

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

Apparently massive crimes against humanity didn't happen in the West before the Enlightenment took us all away from God. Just ignore things like the Thirty Years War, the French Wars of Religion, the Albigensian Crusade, etc.

Who am I kidding though, these people probably haven't even heard of those events.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Never thought I'd see them on the same side as Adorno and Horkheimer, especially considering Beck used to rant about the Frankfurt school in his televised fever dreams, but there you go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialectic_of_Enlightenment

Of course this goes hand-in-hand with what the Texas GOP said in their 2012 platform:

"We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority."

http://wonkette.com/476114/texas-gop-will-literally-and-nonmetaphorically-ban-critical-thinking

Twisted Perspective
Sep 15, 2005

I've come to see you...

Modern Day Hercules posted:

Never in my life did I hear the term "ginger" or the idea of "gingers don't have souls" before that particular episode of South Park aired. I understand that it was an established thing that the South Park creators didn't make up out of thin air, but you're bonkers if you don't think they had huge hand in popularizing it in America. If they can popularize one lovely idea, they obviously have the cultural pull to popularize others.

As an interesting aside, prejudice agains redheads originated in the UK and was directed at the Irish. It might be interesting to put that to anyone using "ginger" as an insult, as I'd bet quite a lot of them have Irish ancestry.

Twisted Perspective fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 4, 2013

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

WHY USE ONE WORD WHEN SIX FUCKING PARAGRAPHS WILL DO?

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)

Sharkie posted:

Never thought I'd see them on the same side as Adorno and Horkheimer, especially considering Beck used to rant about the Frankfurt school in his televised fever dreams, but there you go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialectic_of_Enlightenment

I was going to bring up that connection, but I think the commentator's attitude is a different one. Okay, obviously I need to majorly simplify the thesis, but Adorno and Horkheimer's basic schtick is about subordination and domination of particularity under universality, heterogeneity under homogeneity, multiplicity under unity and all that, whereas this commentator seems to suggest the opposite: Enlightenment let the proliferating, heterogeneous, whatever multitude go hog-wild, accepting total relativism and refusing to subordinate morality under the universal rule of the One God. They both finger the Enlightenment and reason, but for completely opposite reasons.

Could you imagine the commentator saying something like this?

Adorno and Horkheimer posted:

"Bourgeois society is ruled by equivalence. It makes dissimilar things comparable by reducing them to abstract quantities. For the Enlightenment, anything which cannot be resolved into numbers, and ultimately into one, is illusion; modern positivism consigns it to poetry. Unity remains the watchword from Parmenides to Russell. All Gods and qualities must be destroyed."

The commentator would say 'yes, all qualities should be destroyed, but it should be (the One) God to do it!'

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Well yeah, I was being a bit facetious with that; they're very much in opposition to each other. On the other hand, "The fully enlightened earth radiates Obummer triumphant."

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

I'm assuming this counts as Right Wing Media...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/may/03/david-stein-cole-holocaust-revisionist

Hollywood conservative unmasked as notorious Holocaust revisionist
Republican Party Animals operator David Stein says he is really David Cole, and that he still holds controversial views

quote:

To those who knew him, or thought they knew him, he was a cerebral, fun-loving gadfly who hosted boozy gatherings for Hollywood's political conservatives. David Stein brought right-wing congressmen, celebrities, writers and entertainment industry figures together for shindigs, closed to outsiders, where they could scorn liberals and proclaim their true beliefs.

Over the past five years Stein's organisation, Republican Party Animals, drew hundreds to regular events in and around Los Angeles, making him a darling of conservative blogs and talkshows. That he made respected documentaries on the Holocaust added intellectual cachet and Jewish support to Stein's cocktail of politics, irreverence and rock and roll.

There was just one problem. Stein was not who he claimed. His real name can be revealed for the first time publicly – a close circle of confidants only found out the truth recently – as David Cole. And under that name he was once a reviled Holocaust revisionist who questioned the existence of Nazi gas chambers. He changed identities in January 1998.

"That was when David Cole officially expired," he told the Guardian in an interview this week. "That was the end of Cole. Or so I thought. That was when David Stein was brought into this world.

For 15 years I have been David Stein. Now the genie is out of the bottle. I'm done. I'm finished. I'm not going to try to remain as David Stein.

Cole's brazen reinvention as a social networker and political pundit deceived a roll-call of conservative politicians, filmmakers, journalists and broadcasters who had no clue about his past. A falling out with a friend led to his unmasking in his social circle two weeks ago, when a group of former supporters was shown YouTube clips of Cole's incendiary – and until then forgotten – television appearances in the early 1990s.

As a combative twentysomething with tousled black hair, he was a vilified guest on chat shows hosted by Phil Donahue, Montel Williams and Morton Downey, among others, and was depicted as a neo-Nazi on news shows such as 60 Minutes and 48 Hours.

"My friends are horrified," said Cole, now aged 44 and with greying hair. "They rang and emailed to ask if it really was me. The Hollywood types are the ones hurting the most right now because they could be harmed by this. I'm feeling a certain amount of guilt."

The unmasking shocked and angered the small, tight-knit community of Hollywood conservatives, setting their Facebook groups ablaze and prompting emergency meetings.

Some of Stein/Cole's erstwhile friends are media figures with blogs, newspaper columns and syndicated radio shows. They put a lid on the story. Not a word has been published or broadcast. "When people found out it was, 'Oh my God, get the gently caress away from him.' There was debate about whether everyone would look guilty by association," said one entertainment industry artist, a member of Republican Party Animals, who requested anonymity. "The reason we were all so pissed at him is it plays into every horrible stereotype about the right."

Cole, and the half-dozen former friends and acquaintances interviewed for this article, stress that no one suspected his secret and that no one should be tarred with his views.

An additional reason for trying to contain the story, said the artist, was to deprive Cole of further limelight. "No one wants to give him the satisfaction of making him feel grander than he really was."

Cole, who insists he is a genuine conservative, said his betrayal would sting all the more because conservatives in Hollywood are a "persecuted minority" who must hide their political convictions from the intolerant liberals who dominate the industry:

I don't blame them for jettisoning me. Everyone is scared to death. They don't want this to range beyond Facebook.

Cole agreed to meet the Guardian in order to give his side of the story. He was rueful at being outed and wry about his future. "I don't expect many people at my birthday party this year," he said.

Born in 1968 in Los Angeles to liberal, secular-minded Jewish parents, Cole's father, Leon, was a doctor who became controversial for introducing Elvis Presley to Demerol. "He was accused of hooking Elvis on drugs, of killing Elvis." Cole did not go to university – "I wanted to begin working" – but by the 1980s he had become fascinated by political ideology, especially the work of fringe scholars known then as Holocaust revisionists, subsequently renamed denialists.

He became convinced that on some points they were right and that as a Jew, he would undertake a quixotic quest to "correct" the historical record, arguing that Auschwitz was not an extermination camp in the manner of Treblinka, Sobibor, Belzac and Chelmno – which he acknowledged were part of a genocidal programme against Polish Jews; that the Holocaust ended in 1943, when the Nazis realised they needed Jewish slave labour for factories; and that there was no overarching, genocidal plan, but an evolving, morphing policy which claimed perhaps 4 million, rather than 6 million, Jewish lives.

The young Cole became a notorious celebrity, the turncoat Jew, ferried from studio to studio, gleefully clashing with historians and Jewish representatives. However he grew uneasy when white supremacists and Islamic radicals appropriated his "work", he said, and he halted public appearances after the Oklahoma City bombing in 1995.

Another factor was a death threat from the Jewish Defense League, a militant, violent group. In January 1998, wanting to start anew, Cole wrote a letter to the JDL, recanting his views.

The threat was lifted. Cole, his credibility shredded on all sides, adopted the name Stein, chosen because it was simple and short, he said. Only a few close friends knew the secret.

The recanting was fake, he said. Cole today still challenges established Holocaust scholarship, including the certainty about Nazi gas chambers. "The best guess is yes, there were gas chambers" he says. "But there is still a lot of murkiness about the camps. I haven't changed my views. But I regret I didn't have the facility with language that I have now. I was just a kid," he said this week.

As Stein, however, he shielded his views, not least during the next stage of his career odyssey: the maker of respectable, conventional Holocaust documentaries. He knew the subject, needed an income and US schools and universities had budgets to commission such projects. He said: "I gave mainstream audiences what they wanted."

At the same time, he started writing op-eds under Stein and other pseudonyms, expressing what he said was his growing fervour for a hawkish foreign policy, a strong Israel and conservative social policy. Posts on his acerbic blog were picked up by mainstream news outlets.

When Barack Obama was elected president in 2008, Cole sensed opportunity. Inspired by the writer PJ O'Rourke's brand of rollicking, liquor-fuelled conservativism, he said he launched Republican Party Animals, a networking circle for libertarians and social conservatives which promised spice – "scantily-clad women, drink, fun, loud music" – but not too much. There would be no cocaine or illegality.

"Do you like your conservative politics mixed with a healthy dose of whiskey, fine cigars and kickass rock n' roll?" its website asked. "Do you live in a city filled with morons wearing Che T-shirts as they mindlessly cling to tattered, faded 2008 'Hope and Change' posters? Then WELCOME, friend – this is the group for you!" Blog posts assailed Obama, Occupy protestors and alleged anti-semites.

It was a hit. Congressmen such as Thaddeus McCotter and Mike Kelly attended events, as did neo-con luminaries such as Frank Gaffney.

A 2011 summer bash off Hollywood Boulevard included Larry Elder, a syndicated radio host; Bill Whittle, a commentator and screenwriter; Stephen Kruiser, a comedian; Lloyd Lee Barnett, a visual effects artist for Avatar; Nick Searcy, an actor; and William Sachs, a director. Other Hollywood guests kept their attendance at such events discreet, to avoid the conservative label.

Cole's mistake, he said, was to confide his secret to a friend with whom he fell out. The friend went "nuclear" and outed him to their conservative circle.

Besieged by followers demanding answers, Cole last week shut down much of his online presence and retreated from view. A farewell note on his blog announced the end of his involvement with Republican Party Animals, saying he had been "assassinated" by "an exceptionally vindictive young lady". The note did not elaborate or confess his deception.

Former friends and acquaintances, most speaking on condition of anonymity, challenged elements of Cole's account to the Guardian and called him pathologically duplicitous, alleging he padded his film resume on the IMDb database with fictitious entries. His purported production company, Nistarim, is Hebrew for The Concealed.

Scott Edwards, an Oregon-based businessman, said he founded Republican Party Animals in 2009 and that Cole, claiming to be a Hollywood bigshot, took over the website and was involved in organising just a few events. "He never ran the group. Things started happening behind the scenes so I kicked him out in February 2012." Cole, however, continued controlling the website, networking and organising events under the Republican Party Animals banner until last month.

Holocaust experts and Jewish groups who remembered Cole from the 1990s expressed astonishment that he had resurfaced and still professed Holocaust revisionism.

Michael Shermer, a historian who publishes Skeptic magazine, said Cole's views on the the Holocaust were simplistic and appeared designed to stir controversy.

Shermer debated and interviewed Cole several times in his youth. "I found him to be very smart and on some level likeable, though a little irritating.

But he was too smart for his own good. He had no training as a historian. I had the impression he liked to stir things up just for the hell of it, to be a contrarian for contrarian's sake.

Rabbi Abraham Cooper, associate dean of the Simon Wiesenthal Centre, said Cole's views on the Holocaust could no longer be attributed to youthful naivete. "I'm very disappointed that someone who abused his Jewishness to get his five minutes of notoriety still stands by his lies. It's disgusting and puts him in the camp of bigotry."

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Miltank posted:

You didn't get it. The tobacco industry being utterly wholesome and in the right is the running joke of that episode.

How is it being depicted as a running joke, versus just a shameless attempt to smear an organised effort to get people to stop doing recklessly harmful things, and frame the tobacco industry in the most positive possible light? Just because they make add hyperbole later doesn't change the fact that they're repeating these statements about a 'rich american history' and 'people choosing to smoke' verbatim, with the slavery thing slotted right in the middle.

Sephyr posted:

As for South Park, one needs only watch one of M&T's interviews to see that they consider themselves valid commentators on all things, so that's how they should be treated. I love how in one episode they were all rabid about "Scientology is a ridiculous fraud and it sucks!" and in a later one it's "Mormonism is fake and a fraud but it helps people lead happy lives, so back off!!". My guess is that the difference is entirely due to them knowing/respecting some mormon person while Scientologists occupy the same mental space as hippies in their universe: people who have no real impact in their lives, but sound annoying.

Not to defend them, but thats completely horseshit - they've never worked with a Mormon in their lives, but Isaac Heyes, the man who was with them on the show since episode one, is a Scientologist.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Fulchrum posted:

Not to defend them, but thats completely horseshit - they've never worked with a Mormon in their lives, but Isaac Heyes, the man who was with them on the show since episode one, is a Scientologist.

Not only that, but Hayes quit South Park around when the Scientology episode came out (about four months later) and Stone and Parker basically pointed out that Hayes had no problem making GBS threads over Mormonism, Judaism, Islam, Christianity, etc in other episodes (and cashing the resulting checks) but once his faith was questioned, it magically became an issue.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Brown Paper Bag posted:

I'm assuming this counts as Right Wing Media...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/may/03/david-stein-cole-holocaust-revisionist

Hollywood conservative unmasked as notorious Holocaust revisionist
Republican Party Animals operator David Stein says he is really David Cole, and that he still holds controversial views

How persecuted are conservatives in Hollywood? I'm not being sarcastic here, I'm asking a legit question. I hear this all the time from the right wing, that they're a persecuted minority in whatever circle they're in, be it Hollywood, or academia, for example. Do directors and casting agents refuse to hire known conservative actors? Just what do they mean by "persecution?" Are they routinely abused or assaulted? Are they blacklisted? (Like, if you were, say, A COMMUNIST!!) Or is this that same old canard where disagreement with one's politics equals persecution?

It is kind of funny that one of the people they interviewed outright says "it plays into every horrible stereotype about the right." It's almost as if one could say the right keywords and act enough like a true believer, and some people will buy it.

It's Hollywood, people! Isn't everyone fake? I guess the truth is somewhere in the middle! :v:

But seriously, gently caress his Holocaust-denying rear end.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
They're just a minority, not particularly persecuted in any way. Conservatives in general conflate being in the minority and not getting your way 100% of the time with actual persecution. This is no different.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Leofish posted:

How persecuted are conservatives in Hollywood? I'm not being sarcastic here, I'm asking a legit question. I hear this all the time from the right wing, that they're a persecuted minority in whatever circle they're in, be it Hollywood, or academia, for example. Do directors and casting agents refuse to hire known conservative actors? Just what do they mean by "persecution?" Are they routinely abused or assaulted? Are they blacklisted? (Like, if you were, say, A COMMUNIST!!) Or is this that same old canard where disagreement with one's politics equals persecution?

It is kind of funny that one of the people they interviewed outright says "it plays into every horrible stereotype about the right." It's almost as if one could say the right keywords and act enough like a true believer, and some people will buy it.

It's Hollywood, people! Isn't everyone fake? I guess the truth is somewhere in the middle! :v:

Well, I mean, if you have stupid political opinions, you can still be a doctor, a mechanic, etc. But in Hollywood, everything's essentially a popularity contest. Having unpopular opinions is detrimental there. Tom Cruise, Charlie Sheen, right now they're viewed as pretty crazy, and a lot of people don't want to be associated with that. It's not unlikely that if you're an extreme conservative who is very vocal about his crazy beliefs that you're going to find yourself losing out on a lot of jobs. For a specifically conservative example, there's Mel Gibson.

E: It's not really persecution, but it's probably worse being conservative in Hollywood than in, say, New York.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Leofish posted:

Getting work in Hollywood depends on connections and interpersonal relationships. You can be a fantastic actor but if people hate working with you, you're not going to get any work (*cough* Val Kilmer *cough*). Hollywood is run by absolute motherfuckers, but a lot of those motherfuckers tend to be really socially liberal and vote democrat, so having conservative political opinions or simply being a run-of-the-mill republican can end up loving you out of work.

Oddly enough, right now the most conservative people in Hollywood tend to be the mainline comedians.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zeroisanumber posted:

Getting work in Hollywood depends on connections and interpersonal relationships. You can be a fantastic actor but if people hate working with you, you're not going to get any work (*cough* Val Kilmer *cough*). Hollywood is run by absolute motherfuckers, but a lot of those motherfuckers tend to be really socially liberal and vote democrat, so having conservative political opinions or simply being a run-of-the-mill republican can end up loving you out of work.

Oddly enough, right now the most conservative people in Hollywood tend to be the mainline comedians.

On the other hand, Bruce Willis and Arnold are both outspoken conservatives and they seem to be doing okay. I doubt just being a "run-of-the-mill republican" will prevent people from making money from an otherwise bankable actor. I can imagine someone just getting a start may find it hard to get roles if they show up to their first hollywood party all "libruls, am i rite," but it's not like they care if Joe in Southaven, MS gets refused work at the tire shop because he's not evangelical or straight enough, and those situations probably affect far more people.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Sharkie posted:

On the other hand, Bruce Willis and Arnold are both outspoken conservatives and they seem to be doing okay.

They're outspoken Republicans, but not necessarily conservatives--they both tend more toward being libertarian on social issues, which is where I suspect there's more of a stigma in Hollywood. On the other hand there are actors like Gary Oldman and Robert Downey Jr who both are doing very well right now but are pretty cagey when talking about their political beliefs. Pretty much everyone I can think of off the top of my head who is an outspoken social conservative primarily works on television now.

I'm sure a big part of this is paranoia on the part of conservatives, but studio executives can be very petty and hold grudges.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

XyloJW posted:

Well, I mean, if you have stupid political opinions, you can still be a doctor, a mechanic, etc. But in Hollywood, everything's essentially a popularity contest. Having unpopular opinions is detrimental there. Tom Cruise, Charlie Sheen, right now they're viewed as pretty crazy, and a lot of people don't want to be associated with that. It's not unlikely that if you're an extreme conservative who is very vocal about his crazy beliefs that you're going to find yourself losing out on a lot of jobs. For a specifically conservative example, there's Mel Gibson.

But Mel Gibson isn't "persecuted" for being a conservative, he's "persecuted" for being a big old racist!

Of course I'm sure it's a liberal/conservative thing in his mind -- I don't particularly know but would bet money that he blames his troubles on "P.C. liberals" -- but that doesn't necessarily make it so. If it were so, that would just go to say that racism is unavoidably linked with (present-day American) conservatism, in which case, hey persecuting conservatives doesn't seem like such a bad thing! But I'm more inclined to explain it by saying that there's a bit of a persecution complex on the right, and part of it comes from this method of writing off legitimate grievances as partisan sniping; in the racial sphere but also in others.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Zeroisanumber posted:

Hollywood is run by absolute motherfuckers, but a lot of those motherfuckers tend to be really socially liberal and vote democrat, so having conservative political opinions or simply being a run-of-the-mill republican can end up loving you out of work.

Being conservative in and of itself is pretty far down on the list of why people don't get work in Hollywood. If you look at actors who are openly conservative whose careers have tanked, you'll see that in each case they've said or done something to alienate people at some point, which in turn can affect their money-making potential. That's what hurts them, not their beliefs.

Individual people in the film industry might be liberal in the donor class sense, but Hollywood itself is extremely conservative. Where do you think most conservatives get their ideas about how the world is supposed to work? That's the audience every big money movie in the cineplex is written for. Individual conservatives' personal hurt and feelings of betrayal toward Hollywood stem from finding out that the people who create the primary reinforcement mechanism for their belief system don't themselves share in those same beliefs, in large part because as a group they're incapable of separating fiction from reality.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

XyloJW posted:

Tom Cruise just opened up another million dollar blockbuster last month. He's been consistently employed for the last 30 years. I think its safe to assume that Cruise's fervor for his faith has had no impact on his getting work (and rightfully so, I should say. I see no reason why he should be punished for believing something weird).

Mel Gibson did not drop off the Hollywood Map for being insanely conservative and Christian - Apocalypto came after the Passion of the Christ, and won pretty much all the awards. He dropped off the map because he got drunk and called a cop sugartits.

People in Hollywood are not persecuted for their beliefs or views, they are punished for their actions.

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

They're outspoken Republicans, but not necessarily conservatives--they both tend more toward being libertarian on social issues, which is where I suspect there's more of a stigma in Hollywood. On the other hand there are actors like Gary Oldman and Robert Downey Jr who both are doing very well right now but are pretty cagey when talking about their political beliefs. Pretty much everyone I can think of off the top of my head who is an outspoken social conservative primarily works on television now.
Clint Eastwood? Or have we forgotten the time he managed to debate with, and lost to, an empty chair?

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 4, 2013

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Leofish posted:

How persecuted are conservatives in Hollywood? I'm not being sarcastic here, I'm asking a legit question. I hear this all the time from the right wing, that they're a persecuted minority in whatever circle they're in, be it Hollywood, or academia, for example.
Is having awful ideas bordering on misanthropy and feeling social pressure to not express those views openly actually "persecution"? Nah, I think it's just the shame that deservedly comes with having lovely opinions.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski
For all the reputation that the film/tv industry gets for being liberal as hell, there are still supposedly a bunch of gay actors/actresses out there who remain closeted because coming out would be bad for their careers, too. I'm not sure if that's an "executives won't cast gays" thing or a "middle Americans won't watch gays" thing, though.

Either way, I wouldn't be too surprised if Hollywood was more moderate than people think.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Arnold Schwarzenegger is about as conservative as Obama is, judging by his track record as governator, possibly less so.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tim Selaty Jr posted:

For all the reputation that the film/tv industry gets for being liberal as hell, there are still supposedly a bunch of gay actors/actresses out there who remain closeted because coming out would be bad for their careers, too. I'm not sure if that's an "executives won't cast gays" thing or a "middle Americans won't watch gays" thing, though.

Either way, I wouldn't be too surprised if Hollywood was more moderate than people think.

Well, how many of these are actors who are "supposedly" gay? As in, attractive straight guys that cause less attractive guys to feel threatened, so they try to tell themselves the guy in question is gay?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Radbot posted:

Arnold Schwarzenegger is about as conservative as Obama is, judging by his track record as governator, possibly less so.

Not to mention California governor and HUAC stoolie Ronald Reagan.

But as governor he did pass gun control...

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

McDowell posted:

Not to mention California governor and HUAC stoolie Ronald Reagan.

But as governor he did pass gun control...

And the first no-fault divorce laws.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
All you need to do in order to disabuse yourself of that notion that Hollywood is "liberal" is to take a look at how they handle female and minority roles in their films.

VirtualStranger fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Hollywood is an amazingly capitalist place. Everything is focus-grouped and cross-marketed to a fare-thee-well, and your career is only as good as the box office numbers of your last project. You can be a tremendous jerk or right-wing loon, but if your movies make money, your career will be fine until you do something that hurts your marketability. The example of Mel Gibson above shows this - he had no problem making films and getting them distributed until he started wishing that the mother of his children be raped to death by n***ers. And if you're having trouble making a right-wing film? Well, get off your rear end and raise the funds and write a script and hire a crew and a cast and spend on marketing to get your film made. What could be more free market? Gibson had trouble getting anyone interested in his Jesus torture-porn film, so he raised the money and made it himself, and he made a giant pile of money doing it. He didn't whine about how no one wanted to make his film, he went out and made it, and that made it possible for him to easily raise the money for his next film.

Hollywood's putative liberalism only goes so far - ask anyone involved on the production side what they think of unions, and be prepared to hear an earful.

The real problem is that 99% of people who try to make it in Hollywood fail, or their careers are cut shorter than they like. Peoples' phones stop ringing (or they never rang in the first place) and they decide to blame The Sinister Left Wing Cabal That Runs Show Business rather than the fact that there's a limited number of slots in showbiz, and every one has hundreds of people willing to do anything to land it. Plus, it gives them a second career of pandering to right-wing groups as a former celebrity who had their career cut short because that's how Hollywood treats conservatives. Victoria Jackson, whose career had been in a coma for ten years before she latched onto the Tea Party, is a good example of this.

Hollywood's full of people who don't get called back for second auditions or who can't get their screenplay looked at. It's because that's how Hollywood works. Only a tiny sliver conclude that it's because they've been blackballed because of their right-wing beliefs. Hollywood is a brutal, cold, maximizing, hyper-efficient capitalist machine, and peoples' careers go ice-cold all the time, usually because something fresher or hotter or younger comes along. (There's also the matter of showbiz people generally having huge egos and not exactly being the best objective judges of why their career has arced the way it has).