Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thefakenews posted:

It's also possum free...

Truly, a forsaken country.

Edit: So, Death Thread; the new 40k introduction box has been revealed. Minis in it, what's your opinion of them?

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/23/warhammer-40000-launch-date-announced-may22gw-homepage-post-1/

Bigmars look mostly coherent and good. I like the new plasma guns and the leader models are alright, bar that one with the, what I can only assume to be, power feets.
The Death Guard, while characterful, look like an absolute bitch to paint and not really beginner friendly. I'm also not sure if those little dudes are meant to be cultists or daemons.

Irate Tree fucked around with this message at 11:23 on May 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Lots of dumb new names.

Think the plague marines are a bit over designed, the drone is awesome though and the big marines look good.

For a starter set the quality is excellent.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Primaris Ancient?

Exactly how ancient are we talking here, or is it an honorary thing.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Xarbala posted:

Primaris Ancient?

It's actually a sarcastic title the squatmarines use to bully the bigmars. :saddowns:

I like the bigmars (although "Hellblasters" is a pretty :laffo: name), but I'm not a fan of the look all recent Nurgle stuff has. It's less about oozing disease and more about random body horroresque mutations. The imagery of plaguemarines as horribly ill, bloated, feverish, and delirious, permanently locked in the terminal stages of an unimaginably awful plague without ever succumbing to death, is way cooler than a bunch of fat dudes with antlers and tentacles and poo poo.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles

Xarbala posted:

Primaris Ancient?

Regular marines can be embiggened

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, honestly the bigmars are lookin pretty good. New scale goes a long way.

Pawl posted:

Regular marines can be embiggened

that's what she said

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'll reserve final judgment until I see a price, but as far as content goes it seems pretty good if you're into 40k or want to dive in. I'm not a huge fan of the Nurgle aesthetic and as always the non-marine faction seems to lack a bit of variety, but it's certainly better than the 3e box.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles
I'm surprised GW is putting the full 280 page hard cover book into the starter set. I was expecting another miniature version of the rule book

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Pawl posted:

I'm surprised GW is putting the full 280 page hard cover book into the starter set. I was expecting another miniature version of the rule book

Yeah probably the biggest draw of the 3e starter was that it had the full (softcover) rulebook in the box and that had lists for every faction (except squats...). GW is still the odd man out on charging for faction rules, but at least they're giving away the core rules for free.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles
Faction Rules are going to be free similar to AOS Warscrolls. The Index books are just for people that want hard copies, like the Grand Alliance books (that were released a year too late for anyone to really care)

Eventually they will release new codexes though

Also this is maybe true?

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer

Xarbala posted:

Primaris Ancient?

I was confused by this but apparently it can refer to a standard bearer http://www.shakespearegeek.com/2011/01/othello-ancient.html

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Australia has possums and is rabies free

Australia has something called Australian bat lyssavirus which is basically rabies.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Australia has something called Australian bat lyssavirus which is basically rabies.

What's this about our flying foxes?

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

whats up death thread I just received an email about 8th edition so I'm back

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Irate Tree posted:

Edit: So, Death Thread; the new 40k introduction box has been revealed. Minis in it, what's your opinion of them?

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/23/warhammer-40000-launch-date-announced-may22gw-homepage-post-1/

Bigmars look mostly coherent and good. I like the new plasma guns and the leader models are alright, bar that one with the, what I can only assume to be, power feets.
The Death Guard, while characterful, look like an absolute bitch to paint and not really beginner friendly. I'm also not sure if those little dudes are meant to be cultists or daemons.

still not sure if they're squatting old space marines :thunk:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Milky Moor posted:

They swear they aren't which means they probably will.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles

Milky Moor posted:

They are not squatting them but I wouldn't expect any new releases for tinymarines

Primaris are the truescale marines everyone has always wanted. Think of it like a soft reboot

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
soon, sisters shall join brettonia in a fleur de lys adorned grave

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

They shouldn't have made big marines an in universe change, they should have just changed all the little marines to the new marine scale and not said anything about it, its fine. They actually look ok as do most of the nurgle dudes.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Southpaugh posted:

They shouldn't have made big marines an in universe change, they should have just changed all the little marines to the new marine scale and not said anything about it, its fine. They actually look ok as do most of the nurgle dudes.

Yeah I totally agree. I think big marines are an improvement over babi marines in most ways. But can you imagine the outcry, maybe even from ~*~this very thread~*~ if they decided to squat every space marine army and force people to buy new models?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Hixson posted:

Yeah I totally agree. I think big marines are an improvement over babi marines in most ways. But can you imagine the outcry, maybe even from ~*~this very thread~*~ if they decided to squat every space marine army and force people to buy new models?

Except they wouldn't have to do that. They've released improved and redesigned kits in the past and no one complained, mainly because the new kits didn't invalidate existing models. All they'd have to do is let people continue using their old models (like they're doing now) and present these as the new designs for 8th Edition.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
"Ancient" is the Codex descriptor for a standard bearer as far back as 2nd! :science:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hixson posted:

The outcry wouldn't be from this thread. It'd be from warseer. This thread would be laughing its rear end off.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chill la Chill posted:

The outcry wouldn't be from this thread. It'd be from warseer. This thread would be laughing its rear end off.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Soggy Chips posted:

I was confused by this but apparently it can refer to a standard bearer http://www.shakespearegeek.com/2011/01/othello-ancient.html

Oh that makes a lot more sense.

Looking it up further, apparently it's a corruption of Old French "enseigne" that later got uncorrupted, presumably when someone realized how confusing it is to call some kid holding a flag "ancient."

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles

Southpaugh posted:

The outrage over the entire Warhammer Fantasy universe being squatted was immense and Space Marines are far more popular than the entire WHFB universe

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Pawl posted:

The outrage over the entire Warhammer Fantasy universe being squatted was immense and Space Marines are far more popular than the entire WHFB universe

We're using "squat" in two different ways and it's really frustrating. We're saying, "They could have released new kits and done nothing to stop people from playing with old, a mix, or just new models." You're somehow interpreting that as, "They would have banned all old space marine models." These are very clearly not the same.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles
If people could use their old marines then nobody would buy the new plastic space barbies and we can't have that

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Atlas Hugged posted:

We're using "squat" in two different ways and it's really frustrating. We're saying, "They could have released new kits and done nothing to stop people from playing with old, a mix, or just new models." You're somehow interpreting that as, "They would have banned all old space marine models." These are very clearly not the same.

The latter is what Hixson described.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

tbh if Hixson's scenario happened it would have been hilarious

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Pawl posted:

If people could use their old marines then nobody would buy the new plastic space barbies and we can't have that

This is the logic that says people never buy new armies or models if they already have them and it's been proven wrong again and again. People buy new kits because they look cool. People in this very thread who don't even play 40k or stopped playing 40k years ago (and presumably have piles of space marines) have said they are interested in buying the new kits just because they look so much better than the old marines.

Chill la Chill posted:

The latter is what Hixson described.

Right, but it's not really in line with what Southpaugh described.

Xarbala posted:

tbh if Hixson's scenario happened it would have been hilarious

True.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, owning thirty metal guardians didn't stop me from buying 32 plastic ones, and owning a dozen Dire Avengers didn't stop me buying a box of the new plastic ones. The only reason I didn't replace my Wraithlords and Walkers was that I was generally trying to control my feverish purchasing, nothing about those specific things. :shrug: Same is true for my friends, who replaced old Land Raiders and Sentinels with the new ones. If you make a product look rad and cool, people why buy it for that reason anyway.

That new starter box looks pretty good, guess we'll see what the price is and if/how much discount it represents. I'm not personally excited about it because marines and csm are the two factions I care least about, but its pretty much inevitable they end up in starters.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Once people feel they have everything they "need" they can be surprisingly easily tempted to buy a new model of an old unit they own, just because it looks nicer.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I probably still have a few classic manlet marines so I can probably model a couple of them standing on each others' shoulders wearing a long trenchcoat.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

Hey buddy, I'm sorry if I upset you with my misuse of the word squat. In my future posts I'll be more careful :)

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

reading the whole thread and just reached this

NTRabbit posted:

Age of Mary Sue

lol

e: wtf why is he a giant??!

Phoon fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 23, 2017

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Phoon posted:

lol

all marines are big now

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Irate Tree posted:

The bigmarines look pretty good except for those godawful jump marines. Like come on, it's ok, you can just remake the existing Assault Marines, which look a lot better and more dynamic.

These guys just look like they're floating around waiting for something to happen.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Phoon posted:

lol

Because he's a Primarch, and all Primarchs are giants? I know you're familiar with 40K, so you should know that.

Avenging Dentist posted:

These guys just look like they're floating around waiting for something to happen.
It's because it's nearly impossible to convey a jumping figure without making it look stupid. They either need to have the one foot touching down/pushing off, or abandon the idea altogether. Everything looks like a kid you tied too many party balloons to and now he's floating away...

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Avenging Dentist posted:

The bigmarines look pretty good except for those godawful jump marines. Like come on, it's ok, you can just remake the existing Assault Marines, which look a lot better and more dynamic.

Also they look pudgy. They should have been called cherubs as they resemble fat flying babies. The new plasma guns look decent

• Locked thread