Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

spog posted:

There is the episode where he realises that he pushes George Michael far too hard when he is Mr Manager of the banana stand.

At that point m I realised that he was pretty screwed up. But the awfulness of all the rest of the family makes it less noticeable in comparison.

Yeah, I don't think he's actually that much worse in the Netflix season, it's just that the format meant he didn't have the rest of his awful family to hide his turdishness behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Rirse posted:

He didn't seem to be too awful in the original episodes, but it very obvious in the Netflix episodes.

The whole point of the thing was that he thought he was better than everyone else, and was more put upon than them, but when push came to shove, he was basically as bad as they were. He was selfish and impulsive, bad with women but blamed other people for it, and had an farily undeserved holier-than-thou attitude. I guess it might be a bit tough to pick up on with the rest of his family being unapologetically bad, but season 4 focusing on individual characters rather than the family as a unit really brought it out.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Maxwell Lord posted:

Except they thought they would be cancelled at the end of S4 so they rushed their major storylines to completion, leaving Season 5 to be about some business with psychics I think (good last episode, though.)

No plan survives contact with reality.

Sheriden's capture on Mars was supposed to be the S4 cliffhanger, and S5 open with the interrogation episode, so they were only about 4 or 5 episodes ahead of where they wanted to be. But moving just a few episodes worth of stuff completely killed the momentum for S5. There are a few OK bits, but a lot of it feels like the characters sweeping up after everyone has gone home.

Groke posted:

There were several more good bits in the last season of B5 but oh gods how much everything to do with loving Byron sucked.

The original plan was that Ivanova was supposed to have her telepathic powers awakened by the trauma of Marcus's death, and then have a kind of crisis-of-faith regarding her involvement with Earthforce and end up falling in with Byron's group - who were deliberately written to be a bit pathetic and cult-like. But then Claudia Christian didn't return for S5 (for different reasons depending who you ask) and they had to shift that storyline onto Lyta and the whole thing just comes across as whiny and irritating, and doesn't really serve any purpose with regard to the main characters.

Sweevo has a new favorite as of 23:58 on May 17, 2020

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Last Chance posted:

With the added bonus of him looking down his nose at the rest of his family despite not being much better. I liked that his family calls him on this numerous times, and heck, they were right.

I think for me anyway it's probably like, the rest of the family is so much worse that it's hard to see how bad Michael is until he's isolated. But it took me several rewatches to realize how bad he was.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The fact that you call it pop pop lets me know you're ready

Also that Netflix episode where the family pulls together to get George Michael a car and a little bit of spending money for college out of genuine goodness but Michael gets self righteous and makes George Michael give it back

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Simpsons episode about the Radioactive Man movie is definitely a product of its time, but has it also aged well in a way? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U58IdBjMeS4

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jim is right to be smug because everyone he works with are complete assholes.

However, seeing him get dunked on in the later seasons is funny as poo poo. Also I wish Pam didn’t have to end up being so “take chargey”. She went too extreme in the other direction that she kind of became a bit off putting. But this just things I think about from multiple watches over the course of 7 years so...

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Jim and Pam after they got the baby became the sort of self-involved people they mocked early in the show. That said there is a lot of (unintentional) humor from it and the show making GBS threads on Jim for a while was nice. Andy got taken out back and shot compared to Jim/Pam tbh.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The whole mockumentary format for tv comedies was real bad (not sure if “was” is the right word, I’m being optomistic.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

The whole mockumentary format for tv comedies was real bad (not sure if “was” is the right word, I’m being optomistic.)

Everyone wanted to make the next Spinal Tap. The only person who ever really pulled it off was Rusty Cundieff with Fear of a Black Hat, which is a truly masterful parody.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Jedit posted:

Everyone wanted to make the next Spinal Tap. The only person who ever really pulled it off was Rusty Cundieff with Fear of a Black Hat, which is a truly masterful parody.

Finally, somebody else who saw this movie! For those who have not seen it, go get a copy right now!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jedit posted:

Most of Spinal Tap was improv, and I doubt that mockumentary TV was improv'd.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I keep thinking those gags by The Office and other shows -- stretching all the way back to peak Simpsons -- about old white people trying to be cool with terrible attempts at rap parody videos will eventually seem outdated.

Thanks for proving me wrong, Utah House of Representatives.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sir Lemming posted:

I keep thinking those gags by The Office and other shows -- stretching all the way back to peak Simpsons -- about old white people trying to be cool with terrible attempts at rap parody videos will eventually seem outdated.

Thanks for proving me wrong, Utah House of Representatives.

They'll be relative until the last boomer dies.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

By 2018 standards, Jim is a douche, just a different kind. The show glosses over how lovely he was to Karen when she moved to Scranton, in that while they acknowledge that he is being weird, it's all okay because it's in greater service to the "true love" of Jim and Pam. Meanwhile Karen loses her job, moves to an unfamiliar town with her new boyfriend, and watches as he willfully reconnects with his past flame.

In another example of "true love" excusing lovely behavior, Michael cashes in a favor with his boss to have Holly relocated to Scranton from like, six hours away. Shes been there for at least a year, has a new boyfriend, presumably an entire life there, and Michael drags her back so he can undermine her relationship and chip away at her until he wins her back. This is played as romantic.

My girlfriend and I used to smoke a ton of weed and we would just play this in the background like the radio. It was quiet and we liked it. But sometime around our 10th time through we started noticing stuff like this.

If you don't like the mockumentary tv thing, at least give the bloopers a shot. They're on YouTube. The Office actually specifically got actors with improv backgrounds and a lot of what makes it onto the show is improvised. The bloopers are great because you'll see Rainn Wilson improvise a killer line and everyone around him breaks.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I can’t really get over the lack of music or interesting camera shots, and the endless mugging for the camera.

I guess technically Arrested Development would fall under this umbrella but it pretty much avoids all the weaknesses of the format.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
I haven't seen the office but apparently Jenna Fischer said some really creepy things about John Krasinski that every outlet wrote about as THE CUTEST THING EVER. Like how they were totally in love "while in character". John Krasinski does not agree and Jenna Fischer was married to James Gunn when this supposed electric chemistry was happening. It's really awkward and I got some stalker vibes from reading it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

They'll be relative until the last boomer dies.

Young people do it too.
https://theoutline.com/post/2178/the-infinite-awfulness-of-conservative-rap?zd=1&zi=6syfpuyn

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Jedit posted:

Yeah, it’s hilarious because it’s basically a shot-for-shot ripoff of This is Spinal Tap. You can’t even call it a tribute. It’s just a straight-up remake with rappers instead of rockers.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I don't know much about the behind the scenes stuff from The Office. Just things I've seen in clickbait articles and the like. I would love if someone wrote a book or did a documentary about it. I know Jenna Fischer kept the Pam and Jim wedding ring, which could be cute or terrifying based on context.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Yeah, it’s hilarious because it’s basically a shot-for-shot ripoff of This is Spinal Tap. You can’t even call it a tribute. It’s just a straight-up remake with rappers instead of rockers.

Not at all. It's very heavily based on the real documentaries about hip hop and early gangsta rap. It has so many direct jabs at the short NWA "straight outta compton" doc especially.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

big cummers ONLY posted:

I don't know much about the behind the scenes stuff from The Office. Just things I've seen in clickbait articles and the like. I would love if someone wrote a book or did a documentary about it. I know Jenna Fischer kept the Pam and Jim wedding ring, which could be cute or terrifying based on context.

The comments she made are from a book she wrote so there's that.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I can’t really get over the lack of music or interesting camera shots, and the endless mugging for the camera.

I guess technically Arrested Development would fall under this umbrella but it pretty much avoids all the weaknesses of the format.

Arrested Development had tons of musical cues, and while camera shots themselves weren't interesting, transitions were often a good source for gags. The characters also weren't aware of a camera crew or anything. Them looking into the camera was a result of the camera looking for it, not them looking for the camera to look into.

I say this as somebody who really loves The Office, but also sympathizes with Dwight a lot.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Are they really rebooting The Office? Not that I don't want to see more Plop and Little Dwight.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I hope not. I loved the show even at it's worst but all these revivals really highlight how shows are often inextricably linked to the time and culture they were produced in. As this thread constantly reminds us, something that resonated ten years ago will often not resonate today.

Thanks for letting me know Fischer wrote a book. Guess I'll read it this weekend!

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Choco1980 posted:

Not at all.

It absolutely is. No matter how many elements of real hip-hop documentaries you say you see in it, it’s still like 80% Spinal Tap. Watch them side-by-side if you don’t believe me.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

food court bailiff posted:

Yeah, I don't think he's actually that much worse in the Netflix season, it's just that the format meant he didn't have the rest of his awful family to hide his turdishness behind.

I remember reading comparisons between Arrested Development and The Godfather, and Michael's character works even better in that context. That is, the slow influence of his family really starts to turn Michael into a person just as bad as everyone else.

I mean, it's a standard sitcom event that the main character who's "normal" becomes just as bad as everyone else, but reading it this way makes it much more fun for me.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I got a signed copy of an early independent movie with Jenna Fisher and James Gunn and I remember thinking, who the gently caress is this guy and why would anyone want his signature.

That opinion did not age well.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Finally, somebody else who saw this movie! For those who have not seen it, go get a copy right now!

This movie owns. Spinal Rap basically. The music is actually pretty good too.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Krispy Wafer posted:

I got a signed copy of an early independent movie with Jenna Fisher and James Gunn and I remember thinking, who the gently caress is this guy and why would anyone want his signature.

That opinion did not age well.

Loli something yeah. I watched it because I was a huge fan of Gunn after SLiTHER, so I was pretty much grabbing everything he did for a while. I missed a lot though. I had no idea he wrote a book and did a few other writing gigs outside of Scooby Doo.

Dude responded to a message I sent him on myspace about SLiTHER which was super cool of him to do so. I've had a few facebook conversations with him before Guardians really blew up, but still. The dude cares about his fans and that's rad. I'm glad he's big poo poo now.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Lolilove. I haven't seen it, but I know of it as it's a Troma distributed movie. I strongly suspect Gunn took it to them first because of his strong history with them. (fun fact: Like, 90% of their movies, they just distribute, not make themselves, but people assume they make all of them)

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Many Asian buildings will omit any floor number which even contains four because of its association with death, just as many Western buildings omit the 13th floor because of bad luck or dad-focused buildings skip the 9th floor because 7 8 9.

The most interesting thing about that is that in buildings that do have a 13th floor they'll often have a room 1313. If it's a hotel that will be the most requested room in the building by a long shot.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Care homes and hospitals I've been always go from room, or bed, 12 to 12a, then 14. :v:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

James Gunn is a monster after that Groot reveal.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Aphrodite posted:

James Gunn is a monster after that Groot reveal.

Yeah it sure sucks that Groot made a meaningful sacrifice for his friends and grew (lol) as a character

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Choco1980 posted:

Lolilove. I haven't seen it, but I know of it as it's a Troma distributed movie. I strongly suspect Gunn took it to them first because of his strong history with them. (fun fact: Like, 90% of their movies, they just distribute, not make themselves, but people assume they make all of them)

Yes, Lolilove. I don’t really remember anything from it. It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t much else either.

It sometime after Guardians of the Galaxy and my wife binging Gilmore Girls a second time that I finally made the connection to Gunn and his brother.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Krispy Wafer posted:

It sometime after Guardians of the Galaxy and my wife binging Gilmore Girls a second time that I finally made the connection to Gunn and his brother.

:aaa: No way.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Wives, amiright?

Mine always used to get a little pissed when I'd call Rory a slut. But then I was right there in the room when she was watching, so sadly I could name all the guys she'd slept with (including Dean, when he was married!).

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

The Bloop posted:

Yeah it sure sucks that Groot made a meaningful sacrifice for his friends and grew (lol) as a character

Yes it does !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

MrUnderbridge posted:

Wives, amiright?

Mine always used to get a little pissed when I'd call Rory a slut. But then I was right there in the room when she was watching, so sadly I could name all the guys she'd slept with (including Dean, when he was married!).

:chloe: