Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

Has anyone talked about how stupid and bad the construct 7 fight is?

Can we do so?

No.

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEAD GAY FORUM
Dec 18, 2018

the good posts were inside you all along

Tashilicious posted:

every time you call something stupid and bad, it's actually reflecting on you so????

I can't wait until I'm a gobsmacked YoshiP groupie who loves everything about this game and can't find any flaws or stupid parts and irritating UI functions et. al :allears:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

you're doing this on purpose aren't you

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

I can't wait until I'm a gobsmacked YoshiP groupie who loves everything about this game and can't find any flaws or stupid parts and irritating UI functions et. al :allears:

NEither can I because then youll stop posting like this

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

Which is none of us. We all have had beefs with the game.

Except ours weren't things that were our own failure that we then pushed onto the game.

You're being DSP. Don't be DSP.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

these are the kind of people attracted to my main job and if I wasn't riding high off my very first arsenal run I think I'd be upset about it

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

Genuinely curious how that applies to Construct 7

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

Again, why don't you actually explain what your issue is?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

Maybe you should stick to linking videos of grown men hyperventilating about SJWs in this thread because then at least your opinions are on another site that I don't have to look at.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

What didn't you like about it?

I thought it was a challenging and creative fight. The only part that I found personally irritating was the part where you all have to hug the boss's rear end in a top hat as it spins around, but I also realize there's only so many things they can do and it wasn't THAT bad once you know about it.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

this is your fetish isn't it

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Oh, speaking of Construct 7, I finally put my old PC out of its misery today and finished setting up my new one. One of the first things I did after doing Work work was try out a few dungeons and trials in FFXIV where I'd always been curious how much a crummy machine was impacting me. So after the obligatory Titan run I tried the Lighthouse, and you know what, the spinning mechanic which had always been hit-or-miss with me was suddenly a breeze, as was the bit in Seiryu EX where you're knocked back into the water. It was super fun! I felt like I was cheating and it made a real difference in how the game felt.

I wouldn't say any of the above-mentioned fights are poorly designed-- I really like all of them-- but for sure it's worth mentioning that a number of encounters in this game are made a lot more difficult if you're playing on not-very-good hardware.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
The only thing I didn't like about Construct 7 is that he doesn't have any enrage mechanic, or anything that needs a certain number of players to resolve properly. One living healer can basically draw that fight out as long as they want to. On the other hand, the boss is really good at picking off players who don't figure out the math mechanic, or who try to get cute during the laser spins, which leads to those awful 20 minute long fights where half of the alliance is dead, and half of the remaining people have -50% damage.

Gelmorra Public Broadcasting would like to take this opportunity to remind its listeners that Eorzea's first few prime numbers are 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, and 13.

Things that are cool: I managed to find a top that doesn't make the quaintrelle's skirt disappear. And it is gloriously floofy.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
....isn't that just the hempen camise you're always using, but dyed red?

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Construct 7 was fantastic in the first few weeks when you'd have a just barely competent enough party to not wipe but still drag on the fight for twenty minutes. I love the fight, but holy poo poo were people bad at it for a while.

And now he's plot relevant! Dancemaster is such a good boy!

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

....isn't that just the hempen camise you're always using, but dyed red?

:ssh:

(I wrote my post kind of backwards; I finally crafted the skirt because I realized that it worked with the hempen top I use a lot. It doesn't work with much else, mind you, but details.)

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
To be fair the main difficulty of the fight for a new player is knowing how the math mechanic works (your HP + whatever number you stand on, once), not the actual math part.

Also, this is not what's happening:

Rastan Beeza posted:

Heyyy, I bought a Mythril Ring of Crafting from Obtaining Signature in Excalibur. Didn't know they were on Lamia too.

There's a level 1 alt on Excalibur with that name. Your ring was not made by that person:

orcane posted:

"Obtaining Signature" is the tag the game displays if the crafter can't be determined. As far as I know it mainly shows up if the item's crafter did not log in since the last server restart, or if they moved to a different server.

There are players using the name as a joke, too, of course.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
Yeah Construct 7 has always been fairly easy for me. The worst part was just that 1 isn't a Prime number anymore. And occasionally I get obliterated by him spinning because I was too busy trying to pick up dead people and didn't notice mechanics happening but that's on me. I was always far more annoyed at the last boss since once he goes into pissy boss mode all his attacks are one shots and he's moving faster. So unless you are chasing after him (my trick was following him to his first turn then planting there and waiting for him to be done.) he might decide 'no, the people in this line are just dead.' makes my job harder. Meanwhile one of the people I play with hates that entire raid with a passion because of both the spinning and Yiazmat's stomps since 'I TOTALLY GOT OUT OF THAT IN TIME!' 'I WAS RUNNING WITH EVERYONE ELSE!'. Computer and internet connection really matter alot.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Again, why don't you actually explain what your issue is?

They won't, because

Vitamean posted:

you're doing this on purpose aren't you

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Chaeden posted:

Yeah Construct 7 has always been fairly easy for me. The worst part was just that 1 isn't a Prime number anymore.
A main reason 1 isn't considered a prime number is because it's more elegant to express formulas involving prime numbers without it than to include it and then explicitly exclude it from all these formulas; for example, the fundamental theorem of arithmetic: Any integer greater than 1 is either a prime number or can be represented as the product of prime numbers, and this representation is unique up to the order of the factors. (e.g. 12 = 3 x 2 x 2; however this is expressed, it will always have exactly two 2s and one 3. If 1 was a prime, it could be expressed as 3 x 2 x 2 x 1, or 3 x 2 x 2 x 1 x 1, or 3 x 2 x 2 x 1 x 1 x 1, and so on ad infinitum).

It's simpler to just consider a number prime if it has exactly two unique divisors: the number itself and 1.
(Also the writing just before the boss even gives a full list of the prime numbers possibly relevant to the fight.)

Still...

(Patch 4.3 was May 22)

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

math is good and construct 7 owns

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I lust to know what sins construct 7 supposedly has because lord knows yoship has some dumb poo poo in his game but construct 7 ain’t one of them. in conclusion,

Kaubocks posted:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Ivalice does have an unnecessarily large hate-on for BLM players though.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kaubocks posted:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Is there any real difference in the excalibur goon free companies, or just pick one at random? (Like are any full, or more for raiding, or whatever)

I feel like I got enough out of the trial (level 34 bard, ninja, sch/smn, and level 20-something thaum and gladiator. Just beat Titan on MSQ) so I just put in my starter edition code. Went in fully expecting to stay bard but so far I kind of like the ninja a little better. Scholar is nice too because I'm used to MMO healing so playing it is like putting on a comfortable pair of slippers. Getting quick queue times and another job leveled at the same time is a bonus, even if the summoner is still really lacking.

My only real disappointments are that I can't try the astrologian for a few months without spending an extra $30 on top of the SB expansion cost. Also, it seems really hard to get a good feel for the jobs without watching videos because a lot of key abilities come kind of late.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Is there any real difference in the excalibur goon free companies, or just pick one at random? (Like are any full, or more for raiding, or whatever)

I feel like I got enough out of the trial (level 34 bard, ninja, sch/smn, and level 20-something thaum and gladiator. Just beat Titan on MSQ) so I just put in my starter edition code. Went in fully expecting to stay bard but so far I kind of like the ninja a little better. Scholar is nice too because I'm used to MMO healing so playing it is like putting on a comfortable pair of slippers. Getting quick queue times and another job leveled at the same time is a bonus, even if the summoner is still really lacking.

My only real disappointments are that I can't try the astrologian for a few months without spending an extra $30 on top of the SB expansion cost. Also, it seems really hard to get a good feel for the jobs without watching videos because a lot of key abilities come kind of late.

Third Party Tools (TPT) has a stricter no spoiler policy than the others, which are just no spoilers from the latest patch. If you're especially concerned about experiencing the story unspoiled, you'll want to be in TPT.

Otherwise there's not that much of a difference. Different people and different cliques but you'll find goons making awful puns wherever you go.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Argas posted:

Third Party Tools (TPT) has a stricter no spoiler policy than the others, which are just no spoilers from the latest patch. If you're especially concerned about experiencing the story unspoiled, you'll want to be in TPT.

Otherwise there's not that much of a difference. Different people and different cliques but you'll find goons making awful puns wherever you go.

We still do try to keep spoilers from the MSQ to creep into main chat for PBC, or the discord, fairly often. I think every goon FC seriously enjoys watching people go through the story at their own pace and react to it. We will sometimes talk about stuff, but the context is often divorced enough that you'll only glean major things, or get it in retrospect.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

:ssh:

(I wrote my post kind of backwards; I finally crafted the skirt because I realized that it worked with the hempen top I use a lot. It doesn't work with much else, mind you, but details.)

It is weird how much stuff hides that skirt. It'd be way better if it worked with more.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
It's easy to switch FCs, so if one doesn't seem to be quite the right fit, try another one. Plenty of people have migrated in any given direction, so one one will mind.

Things like raiding also tend to get done through linkshells rather than FC, so no matter which FC you pick you aren't going to be locked out of content. Like, I don't know of any pure-TPT raid groups, even though I know there are some really good raiders there. (Linkshells are private chat channels with like a 100-person cap in case you haven't run into them, so they're like mini-FCs. I have no clue what FC most of the people in my linkshells are even in, other than not recognizing them them TPT.)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

drat Dirty Ape posted:

In DGKK we help out new people all of the time. Two nights ago a sprout was complaining about being 30 minutes into their queue for a set piece dungeon (no spoilers), and we managed to get a full goon party in a matter of minutes.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Tashilicious posted:

We still do try to keep spoilers from the MSQ to creep into main chat for PBC, or the discord, fairly often. I think every goon FC seriously enjoys watching people go through the story at their own pace and react to it. We will sometimes talk about stuff, but the context is often divorced enough that you'll only glean major things, or get it in retrospect.

Yeah pretty much. I'm a PBC member but I love talking about plot and poo poo with anyone who will listen. That said, I personally don't like to talk spoiler and/or current content poo poo unless I know everyone around is cool with it. I have friends in all three goon FCs and they are all good- more than anything I just want SE to actually finish implementing FC alliances so we can all talk together unhindered.

Beyond that, right now I'm really loving envious of both DGKK's "THIEF" tag and TPT's "YoRHa" tag. PBC's "beans" tag is funny but I loving love both those tags, especially since Link's Awakening is my favorite Zelda game :black101:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I don't like Construct 7's super version of the spin because it is mean as poo poo. Other than that, it's a cool fight. Math rocks. You wanna talk about Belias or Yiazmat though, fine. Both of them can go to hell.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
what are people's problems with Belias he's dead-rear end easy

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

Has anyone talked about how stupid and bad the construct 7 fight is?

Can we do so?

The only close to terrible part of that fight is running around him in a circle because of how easy it is to get messed up if you're a moment off.

Blockhouse posted:

what are people's problems with Belias he's dead-rear end easy

[jumps out of the arena for several seconds]

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

[jumps out of the arena for several seconds]

[jumps out of the arena again 30 seconds later after returning]

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
oh okay

yeah that's fair

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
What is the weak auras equivalent in this game? Just something to track my buffs and dots.

rlloyd3
Feb 3, 2012

CJ posted:

What is the weak auras equivalent in this game? Just something to track my buffs and dots.

I find that using oculi grants the desired results.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

CJ posted:

you can adjust the hud so that your buffs and the targets dots are right next to each other, if that helps. i do this for MNK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I did some searching and it's a plugin for that damage meters addon.

https://github.com/anoyetta/ACT.Hojoring/