Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

NeurosisHead posted:

I had fun playing this before the DLC came out, but fell away from it and now I want to go back and play the DLC because I guess I bought the season pass and never realized it lol. Am I going to be best off just staying offline to avoid nightmare twink gankers, or is the multiplayer still reasonable for invasions and summons?

Stay online to enjoy the messages, only a few invaders will get you solo because the game will always try to make them invade people with summoned players first. By the time you're at the level to do the DLCs comfortably, twinking won't mean much anymore.

I killed every invader I can recall who came at me in the ringed city so they definitely aren't 100% cheaters or perfectly min-maxed tryhards or whatever.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Digirat posted:

Stay online to enjoy the messages, only a few invaders will get you solo because the game will always try to make them invade people with summoned players first. By the time you're at the level to do the DLCs comfortably, twinking won't mean much anymore.

I killed every invader I can recall who came at me in the ringed city so they definitely aren't 100% cheaters or perfectly min-maxed tryhards or whatever.

Ringed city is Gank city 2.0 so yeh most invaders will get sucked into gank worlds instead. If you're at the level to take on ringed city there isn't much advantage a twink can get on you anyway. You'll both be endgame but you'll have double estus + phantoms.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the only twinked things that really make a huge difference are the Prisoner's Chain and the Dark Hand, and Dark Hand is basically a gimmick for abusing newbies and the unwary that peters out pretty quickly

several of the best weapons in the game are available as literal starter weapons or from the handmaid right off the bat.

armor is a little murkier, because contrary to popular opinion super-heavy armor does make a pretty significant contribution to survivability, a) but most super-low level builds don't have room for armor that heavy and b) you can farm the lothic knight armor set as soon as you reach High Wall, and although this is slow and tedious, it's actually a pretty good set for PvP purposes (although seriously optimized weight/protection armor usually involves DLC items and looking like a clownsuit)

Prisoner's Chain is admittedly just a massive advantage at any sub-120 level and getting it legitimately on a low-level character requires extraordinary skill, patience, or both. it's designed like it's supposed to be a trade-off item where you qualify for stronger gear at the expense of taking more damage but it's terribly balanced for that purpose and is really just a straight buff to 99% of characters and a mandatory item for PvP

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

on the other hand the game also consistently matches invaders into hosts above their level, on top of all the host's other advantages, so really the Prisoner's Chain is just there to create the preconditions for an even fight stats-wise

it's only really gross when you're talking about putting it onto a level 9 or 15 character or whatever and invading High Wall

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.

NeurosisHead posted:

I had fun playing this before the DLC came out, but fell away from it and now I want to go back and play the DLC because I guess I bought the season pass and never realized it lol. Am I going to be best off just staying offline to avoid nightmare twink gankers, or is the multiplayer still reasonable for invasions and summons?

I ran through both DLCs last weekend at SL90+10, embered with a Dried Finger constantly active, and I only got invaded twice in each. You'll be fine.

Also there's really no such thing as twinking at the SL you should be attempting DLC2 at least. If most players can legitimately acquire the Prisoner's Chain (SL60-70 +7-8 without tryharding?), it's not really twinking.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Don't ember in Arnor Londo and you'll be fine. The pvp is fun though. I use a simple trick to never get invaded; always be invading.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Or even just "don't be embered." Hopping off a ledge right after a boss is a kind of silly ritual and it'd be better if you just earned an ember for a boss kill (same as you do for PvP kills!) but it'll get the job done.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Yea. Don't be like DSP and act like you're entitled to be embered all the time without consequences. It's not a health pack!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Or even just "don't be embered." Hopping off a ledge right after a boss is a kind of silly ritual and it'd be better if you just earned an ember for a boss kill (same as you do for PvP kills!) but it'll get the job done.
If you're going to do this why not test your luck against an invader, you might a) actually have some fun and b) keep the ember instead of wasting it

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Here's the thing about invaders, most of the time they suck. Try to kill them and carry on. They have less HP and less estus than you. If you want to be embered and still forgo invasions you're going to have to play offline. It's just like the other dark souls games, your character is in a special state and if you want to stay that way you'll have to fight for it. There's no way around it if you still want to play online. If you stink at PvP go to the area outside Pontiff, scribble some red chalk, and practice.

That said I prefer the way Bloodborne handles invasions. When you summon an NPC/player for co-op the game spawns a chime maiden somewhere who will proceed to matchmake you against an invader. If you find and kill the chime maiden before you're invaded, you will have earned the luxury of PvP-free co-op play until you summon another ally. Unless you're in the Nightmare that is, where multiple maidens spawn whether you summoned someone or not, offline play isn't a bad idea there unless you're really into being invaded around the clock.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 17, 2019

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
One day noone will play dark souls 3, just play the invasions and don't be a giant baby.

Dark souls is the same level over and over again until you beat it (and the boss). There is not much replayability in that. Human opponents keep the game interesting. Otherwise it's just anime wife Mario with swords.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Don't poo poo talk fire keeper waifu, baka

asio
Nov 29, 2008

Laminator posted:

Don't poo poo talk fire keeper waifu, baka

The anime wife is the playable character
- young woman
- brightly coloured hair
- very slim
- slave knight leggings

The only way to avoid scorn if you pick young woman is if you also select old lady voice. "Hey"

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Darth Walrus posted:

Incidentally, I know a bunch of folks have problems with Midir, but he's really all about positioning, hitbox awareness, and reading generous tells rather than twitch reflexes. Here's where I killed him in NG+ a while back with a super-generic Quality/Luck sword and board build - should hopefully give you a bit more of a clue about what's up with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6HXpvbvSTo

My dude, have you heard of pestilent mercury?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Really loving annoyed the Usurp the Fire ending questline bugged out for me. I did everything right (got all the dark sigils from Yoel, met Anri and Horace, told Anri I didn't know where Horace was, killed Horace), but now Anri is not near the Church of Yorshka bonfire or the Wolnir bonfire like he should be, so I guess I'm poo poo out of luck. There wasn't a corpse with Anri's sword on it so he didn't die, he's just not loving anywhere at all.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

SunAndSpring posted:

Really loving annoyed the Usurp the Fire ending questline bugged out for me. I did everything right (got all the dark sigils from Yoel, met Anri and Horace, told Anri I didn't know where Horace was, killed Horace), but now Anri is not near the Church of Yorshka bonfire or the Wolnir bonfire like he should be, so I guess I'm poo poo out of luck. There wasn't a corpse with Anri's sword on it so he didn't die, he's just not loving anywhere at all.

Did you meet Anri in the first half of the Catacombs? They might still be there if the arcane requirements for them to move on haven't been met.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Did you meet Anri in the first half of the Catacombs? They might still be there if the arcane requirements for them to move on haven't been met.

I'll check, who knows. Maybe I have to have seen Horace first, then say, "Uh no idea fam" to Anri.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

NeurosisHead posted:

At this point in the game's lifecycle I imagine you're going to get 2 kinds of invaders:

a) Ultra Try Hards
b) people with fun gimmick builds that have glaring holes but 1000s of hours of practice behind them.

The B category is the only dangerous one, but they're so few and far between it's nothing to worry about.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Stokes posted:

At this point in the game's lifecycle I imagine you're going to get 2 kinds of invaders:

a) Ultra Try Hards
b) people with fun gimmick builds that have glaring holes but 1000s of hours of practice behind them.

The B category is the only dangerous one, but they're so few and far between it's nothing to worry about.

I've played up to Farron Keep and Cathedral since posting, and this is definitely what I've observed as well.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

Stokes posted:

The b stands for bestkindofbuild

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Is Darkeater Midir worth doing even for completion? I've taken a few swings but he just seems like a big bag of HP and I'm wondering if I should just do Gael and call it a wrap.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pyrolocutus posted:

Is Darkeater Midir worth doing even for completion? I've taken a few swings but he just seems like a big bag of HP and I'm wondering if I should just do Gael and call it a wrap.

i mean you should still do it once, just skip him on the replay

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Pyrolocutus posted:

I have fun with Midir but that fun only came after slogging my way through the fight and dying a bunch before I got used to him.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Pyrolocutus posted:

No. skip it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's really nothing of worth behind the fight

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Pyrolocutus posted:

I tried for like 3 nights and finally gave up and finished the game. I don't regret it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

beating Midir unlocks a PvP mode where your victim is locked in a room with you and has to fight

it is unfortunately a small room with no terrain or anything interesting beyond the NPCs who help you (if they don't die before you load in) but still, that's worth one crappy bossfight

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Gael it is then friendos :tipshat:

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
If you have 25 or more int Midir can be cheesed to death with pestilent mist. It's really his only weakness. His ultimate attack is just hilariously awesome so that might be worth dying to.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

beating Midir unlocks a PvP mode where your victim is locked in a room with you and has to fight

it is unfortunately a small room with no terrain or anything interesting beyond the NPCs who help you (if they don't die before you load in) but still, that's worth one crappy bossfight

It's the best covenant in the game IMO.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Pyrolocutus posted:

If you aren't having fun it's not worth it. And that's a hard rule for any video game ever. Forget about the rewards.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I like Midir because he's a change of pace. Pretty much every one of his attacks is telegraphed and relatively easy to avoid - he's a slow dance rather than a frantic rhythm game, and your main job is to see what he's telegraphing, counter it, get some hits in if it leaves you an opening, and move into position so you're ready to respond to what he's going to do next. Yeah, that sounds like most Dark Souls boss fights, but it really is a more deliberate playstyle you have to learn, where making mistakes is more difficult but also more punishing.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

I like Midir because he's a change of pace. Pretty much every one of his attacks is telegraphed and relatively easy to avoid - he's a slow dance rather than a frantic rhythm game, and your main job is to see what he's telegraphing, counter it, get some hits in if it leaves you an opening, and move into position so you're ready to respond to what he's going to do next. Yeah, that sounds like most Dark Souls boss fights, but it really is a more deliberate playstyle you have to learn, where making mistakes is more difficult but also more punishing.

If only you could actually see him instead of having a camera that merely gives you vague glimpses of his windups. Midir doesn't suck because of his moveset; he sucks because FromSoft once again made a gigantic enemy that flails around like a madman without also making appropriate adjustments to the camera to compensate.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm been called in to be a boss a couple times without having beaten Midir, so apparently you don't even have to do that much.

Vermain posted:

If only you could actually see him instead of having a camera that merely gives you vague glimpses of his windups. Midir doesn't suck because of his moveset; he sucks because FromSoft once again made a gigantic enemy that flails around like a madman without also making appropriate adjustments to the camera to compensate.

Don't lock on. Manually adjust the camera and you should always be able to see what he's doing. Generally a good rule to follow when fighting any huge Soulsborne enemy.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Even if you don't lock on, the fight looks the same.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So I think i'm either going to for Yhrom or Aldrich, but I'm lost at actually how to get to either one. I went through irithyll and found the area where I had flashbacks to Anor Londo and the archers but couldn't figure out how to progress from there, Like i followed it as long as I could and just ended up back down where the Decons and Drang are.

But I think I'd rather head to Yhrom and continue Sigwards quest line as I already borked Anri's (I figure I couldn't find Horace in the Catacombs that's why I found her dead in Gwyn's tomb). I delved as deep as I could into the dungeons but again, just ended up back at the first bonfire again. I dug around as much as I could in there and found the area at the bottom with the giant and got the Profaned Flame (why I figured this was where I could get to Yhrom's area).

I could look up how to get there, because I've had this problem before in DS1 and 2 where I had no idea where to go and had just missed a door or something, but its more which boss to go after.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
There's more side areas and things/npcs to pick up on the way to Yhorm so it's probably optimal to go after him first. Keep looking around and remember to check vertically.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

twistedmentat posted:

So I think i'm either going to for Yhrom or Aldrich, but I'm lost at actually how to get to either one. I went through irithyll and found the area where I had flashbacks to Anor Londo and the archers but couldn't figure out how to progress from there, Like i followed it as long as I could and just ended up back down where the Decons and Drang are.

But I think I'd rather head to Yhrom and continue Sigwards quest line as I already borked Anri's (I figure I couldn't find Horace in the Catacombs that's why I found her dead in Gwyn's tomb). I delved as deep as I could into the dungeons but again, just ended up back at the first bonfire again. I dug around as much as I could in there and found the area at the bottom with the giant and got the Profaned Flame (why I figured this was where I could get to Yhrom's area).

I could look up how to get there, because I've had this problem before in DS1 and 2 where I had no idea where to go and had just missed a door or something, but its more which boss to go after.
If you've already been to Gwyn's tomb, you've almost reached Aldrich's area. You just gotta go out the opposite side and pull a lever.

As for Yhorm, the Profaned Flame area is indeed kind of a dead end. You have to go down through the jail area and NOT fall to the Profaned Flame location, instead stay up where the giant (used?) to be able to hit you, cross a bridge and go on further. You'll go back into the jail, can open a shortcut to the very beginning (or did you already?) and if you go the opposite way, you go further down, down and will eventually reach Yhorm's place.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Promethium posted:

There's more side areas and things/npcs to pick up on the way to Yhorm so it's probably optimal to go after him first. Keep looking around and remember to check vertically.

Ah that's probably it. I normally just try to go up or down when the area is based on that, so go down in the dungeon, go up in the city. It would be very FROM to alter that expectation. There's a locked room in the dungeons too, but I don't have a key for that, I figure that's somewhere else.1

Also, I got sucked into the painted world, but went out of it as I was pretty sure soul level 30 was not strong enough to survive based on what I've seen. But at least I have that area unlocked, when to I find the area that takes me to to the Ringed City? I'm going to guess Lothric?

Oh and another question, the sorcery vender is dead, but I never did that thing I've seen in videos where you purposefully gain levels by killing yourself in Firelink and getting him to level you, which is how I thought he died. I am legit curious how that could have happened. As i said, I guessed how Anri died as I failed to find Horace, but that guy just seemed to die at random. Also odd that now I can't buy spells. Not that i really bother with them when pyromancy and miracles are so much more useful, even though i tend for more of Str/Dex build.

And more of a lore question, so Irithyl is build on top of Anor Londo? I assume that its either that as Gwyn's tomb is there, exactly as I left it in DS1 after defeating Gwyndolyn. Its like the swamp has to be Ooliclie with a similar enemy type, the Abyss Watchers being Artoris fanboys and the fact Dusk's outfit is there, which is how I beat the Abyss Watchers, I put that on and pretended I was playing Bloodborne, along with letting the other guys attack the boss, which I only realized was happening on my 10th attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

twistedmentat posted:

Oh and another question, the sorcery vender is dead, but I never did that thing I've seen in videos where you purposefully gain levels by killing yourself in Firelink and getting him to level you, which is how I thought he died. I am legit curious how that could have happened. As i said, I guessed how Anri died as I failed to find Horace, but that guy just seemed to die at random. Also odd that now I can't buy spells. Not that i really bother with them when pyromancy and miracles are so much more useful, even though i tend for more of Str/Dex build.

There's another sorcery vendor who gets more inventory in exchange for scrolls, but if you've gotten this far without finding him he's probably disappeared for good. Yoel will depart after giving you five levels (which requires at least 7 deaths) or if you enter the catacombs after Abyss Watchers, and only in the former case does anyone show up to give you an explanation.

On subsequent playthroughs I've always picked up the Hidden Body sorcery even on non-int builds because it saves a lot of effort.