Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

HorseLord posted:

They do that earlier in the scene too, when main engineering is hit on Enterprise. They lose Phasers entirely until Scotty can connect it to emergency batteries. Kirk's "We don't have a few moments" is probably one of Shatner's best line reads ever. He's completely making GBS threads himself as the bridge burns all around him.

That whole scene has such a magical quality to it. Meyer really grasped the horror of the situation more than any other trek director before or since.

Kirk pulling out the reading glasses and being about as subtle as a sledgehammer while entering the Reliant's prefix-code while Spock and Saavik are sly as all gently caress once they realize what's going on is always my favorite part of this scene.

It took me years to realize how ridiculous the reading glasses act Kirk pulls was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

Finster Dexter posted:

She's not horrible, looks like someone's ok mom

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/star-trek-voyager-actress-jennifer-6451231

e: just watched the teaser for Wrongs Darker than Death or Night. Did Dukat just call Kira from across the galaxy to tell her he banged her mother?

CptAwesome fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 20, 2019

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That's mugshots for ya

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

CptAwesome posted:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/star-trek-voyager-actress-jennifer-6451231

e: just watched the teaser for Wrongs Darker than Death or Night. Did Dukat just call Kira from across the galaxy to tell her he banged her mother?

I'm glad she no longer looks like a drunken cancer patient and hope she finds some peace.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Dukat can be really impressively sympathetic as a character when he's not abusing his power to have sex with women whose fates he controls or channeling literal demons. There's some good writing there, lotta depth. Very uncomfortable though.

There was some interview where the cast talked about what it was like on the set for each show, and somebody said that while the cast of TNG was always goofing about off camera, the cast of DS9 was dead quiet and tense.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Brooks and Marc Alaimo were allegedly problematic to work with, mostly due to the former's intensity and the latter's assholery.

Definitely makes for good work though when on camera.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I wish I could go back and observe a few working days of the TNG set.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

CptAwesome posted:

yes

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Not to make excuses for celebrities I've never even met, but I'd also imagine things are generally more tense when you know your show really isn't getting support from the studio and probably never will.

I guess in other words... it's easy to be a saint in Paradise

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Bloop posted:

This is very Ships At Sea with yelling tubes and engine order telegraphs
That Eddington Les Mis ep of DS9 was submarine as gently caress after the Defiant got all hosed up and it was rad as hell.

Nessus posted:

I assume, other than creative bankruptcy, one of the reasons they make everything blue is that it makes CGI easier? I heard that floating around somewhere and if it does have some kind of utility in that field I suppose it becomes harder to complain about it, though of course, I still will.
Keying out all the green screens would be an absolute nightmare if the entire bridge were bathed in green light.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Bloop posted:

I mean fine, but it a bunch of internal contradictions are noticeable to any viewer who isn't simultaneously playing Candy Crush and make the show worse, so any show and especially any sci-fi show should hire a tedious nerd and then loving listen to them when it comes to continuity.

for the last time bloop, you'll have to post somewhere other than here to stand out enough to get the job

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

jeeves posted:

Brooks and Marc Alaimo were allegedly problematic to work with, mostly due to the former's intensity and the latter's assholery.

Definitely makes for good work though when on camera.

Any sources? I'd love to read about this sort of thing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don't know about Alaimo but Brooks was basically very stiffly professional and insisted everyone else was too, at least when they were dealing with him.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Allegedly, Patrick Stewart was like that at first before the rest of the cast broke him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5zQIKeh9B4

Of course, since DS9 played so hard into drama and tension, maybe that encouraged the cast to not be silly personally. TNG was definitely a sillier show overall. Cisco always felt kinda uptight and unable to really relax to me, and he never really loosened up, just the show changed its tone eventually to fit in better with him.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

for the last time bloop, you'll have to post somewhere other than here to stand out enough to get the job

poo poo I would gladly take that job.

Paramount, I'm a nerd with a humanities AND a science degree who loves Trek. Hire me now

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

PostNouveau posted:

I dunno about you guys, but I am furious

"Levar Burton: The New Spock"

:0

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Powered Descent posted:

Yeah, the early Voyager promos... didn't quite have all their ducks in a row yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXpO25EIErw

(I still want to know where they found this announcer. He's amazing.)

the way he mispronounces stuff is just
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2XOLoeBPEk

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

CptAwesome posted:

It's the quietly most hilarious thing Dukat ever does.

"Hi, happy birthday. BTW I banged your mom, lol. Dukat OUTS!"

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

I also watched In the Pale Moonlight, which I'd heard was an excellent episode. And it certainly was.

But was with the way he said "IT'S A FAAAAKE"?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CptAwesome posted:

I also watched In the Pale Moonlight, which I'd heard was an excellent episode. And it certainly was.

Well, it was.

Star Trek has a lot of stage play in its blood. Especially Sisko's blood.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

CptAwesome posted:

He was extremely angry, and wanted to demonstrate that to Sisko, but didn't want his guards to hear him saying this secret information, because they weren't cleared to do so.

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

EimiYoshikawa posted:

He was extremely angry, and wanted to demonstrate that to Sisko, but didn't want his guards to hear him saying this secret information, because they weren't cleared to do so.

That's a reasonable explanation.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

CptAwesome posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXWQIiFxjbc

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just watched In the Heat of the Pale Moonlight

I love this exchange

Odo: Well, you're pretty sure of yourself, aren't you, Elim? Elim—that's a funny name for a tailor that comes from Cardassia Prime! What do they call you up there?

Garak: They call me Mr. Garak!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
From the days when GBS wasn't utter garbage... (sigh)

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL9czYi6UZk

What might have been...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, a lot of people have hinted at how hard Avery was to work with. If he thought you were a "real actor" he'd respect you, but the bar he set for that was incredibly high and the moment you let him down in any way you were on his poo poo-list. If he felt you were not 110% invested in the craft and acting was your life you were a poser not worthy of his time or respect.

He wouldn't make drama or harass you or anything, it wasn't like how horribly Kate treated Jeri Ryan when she came onto the cast to the point of creating a hostile workplace, he just would be extremely cold and make it clear he didn't respect you. That really contributed to the "no fun" atmosphere of the DS9 set among other things.

I'm just happy that extremely republican Irishman Colm and firmly upper middle class south-english Siddig managed to form a good friendship. Apparently Colm wasn't too kind to the englishman at first, and Siddig wanted to smooth things over by offering to take him out for drinks. Colm picked a local LA irish pub known for its IRA connections and everyone gave Siddig poo poo, but he was a good sport and they became fast friends. Their relationship on the show is pretty much how their real life friendship developed.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 21, 2019

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Baronjutter posted:

I'm just happy that extremely republican Irishman Colm and firmly upper middle class south-english Siddig

Didn't Siddig grow up extremely upper class because of his paternal family's wealth? (Sudanese, I think?)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jordanian?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The King of Jordan was the huge Trek fan that got himself a cameo on Voyager.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Timby posted:

Didn't Siddig grow up extremely upper class because of his paternal family's wealth? (Sudanese, I think?)

He’s descended from Muhammad Ahmad which is about as Sudanese as it gets.

Idk how rich he is but he went to a public school, so I’m gonna guess pretty rich

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

His father's brother was the prime minister of Sudan and his mother's brother is Malcolm McDowell

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

skasion posted:

He’s descended from Muhammad Ahmad which is about as Sudanese as it gets.

Idk how rich he is but he went to a public school, so I’m gonna guess pretty rich

Don't you mean private school?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Queen's English "public school" is equivalent to Real English "private school."

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Don't you mean private school?

Nope. He’s British so a public school is a private school and a private school is an independent school

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

SlothfulCobra posted:

Allegedly, Patrick Stewart was like that at first before the rest of the cast broke him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5zQIKeh9B4

Of course, since DS9 played so hard into drama and tension, maybe that encouraged the cast to not be silly personally. TNG was definitely a sillier show overall. Cisco always felt kinda uptight and unable to really relax to me, and he never really loosened up, just the show changed its tone eventually to fit in better with him.

I'm sure it didn't loving help that allegedly Brooks and Visitor briefly dated in mid-season 3 and then she dumped him for Siddig like on the filming day of the James Bond episode. Oh yeah and then they had a baby.

It's allegedly why not-Sisko is so good at being angry to Bashir in that episode.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Oh keep going, almost there.

edit - yeah right First Contact can suck it even if it still had the Ent-D in it.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Timby posted:

The King of Jordan was the huge Trek fan that got himself a cameo on Voyager.

Welp.
I also learned today that Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine was in an episode too.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Further cast thoughts From the documentary -

Marc Alaimo seems like a total dick, but Dukat was a good character for sure.

The bromance between Armin Shimmerman and Max Grodénchik is cool.

Cirroc Lofton has grown up to be a smooth mofo.

Aron Eisenberg seems like a very .. emotional person overall.

And again ill say that there is a lot of bad blood unsaid from Terry Farrell re: her departure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In the documentary it sounded like Brooks was very cold with Farrell but Farrell explained the challenges she was having with her performance and he adjusted his own performance to better help her do hers.