Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
If their heads weren't fully up their asses, they wouldn't have pulled their Funbalancing in the middle of an event where every enemy is level 240!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

delfin posted:

IceIX drew the short straw:

So their intent was to lose a big chunk of their player base, high five!

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

More interesting facts from IceX:
"Thick as Thieves was tested fairly well, but it wasn't anticipated how much the PVE scaling would take effect with a large playerbase. The thing you may not see is that it's not just *your* performance in missions that raises or lowers your scaling, but also others performances. If you're doing well on a given mission and everyone else is too, that scaling will ramp quicker. Conversely, it's possible that a mission is there that people lose at constantly, so scaling is much slower."

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I wasn't gaming the system so every single fight since the first map has been against a team of 230s. I don't know how many people they thought wouldn't be completing the missions, let alone why they thought it was a good idea to scale the enemies but not increase the reward you got for completing it.

Mr. Met
Jan 14, 2008

Personally I preferred the mixed nuts caper!

chrisf posted:

More interesting facts from IceX:
"Thick as Thieves was tested fairly well, but it wasn't anticipated how much the PVE scaling would take effect with a large playerbase. The thing you may not see is that it's not just *your* performance in missions that raises or lowers your scaling, but also others performances. If you're doing well on a given mission and everyone else is too, that scaling will ramp quicker. Conversely, it's possible that a mission is there that people lose at constantly, so scaling is much slower."

Here, let me translate that: "Hey everybody! I'm a stupid moron with an ugly face and and big butt and my butt smells and I like to kiss my own butt."

Seriously though, I'm kind of interested to see if they attempt some sort of face-saving measure after this debacle or just pack it in and attempt to milk as much money as possible before the game goes under.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
I feel like using boosts was the only way I was keeping up with the game since it launched. I only play for an hour in the morning while sitting on an exercise machine and the message I'm getting is that that's not enough for this game. Making some of the boosts cost real money analogue and doubling the ISO cost of the rest is pretty much shooing me out of the game permanently.

I haven't been able to get anywhere in the punisher tourney due to a lack of punisher covers, don't want to RMT to get in an avengers tourney I'll lose, got the only two characters I've been able to max out nerfed and don't really stand a chance to get any new usable covers in the daredevil PvE.

Maybe I'm just unlucky. Been playing since launch, have one green Rag cover total.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

With the removal of two of the better low AP cost skills in the game as well as an HP cost attached to +3/all I'm not entirely sure how they intend people to be beating level 230+ PVE encounters. I could usually do okay with a +6 Blue and Purple on OBW and stealing gems to keep the AI from using abilities but now that's out and I have no blue Spider-Man covers, so.

I mentally checked out during the second 9 day Hulk event so this doesn't bother me a lot, it just seems like there isn't a real actual game design reason for these changes.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

New option in the patch to un nerf wolverine Thor and ragnarok for 3 hours, costs $500 USD.

joke stolen from a friend

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Haha, so I have been playing this for ten days so I dropped :10bux: to buy some cover space because I was having fun, but now it is pretty clear I joined a game with developers desperate to squeeze their customers.

You know how when they screw up something in Puzzle & Dragons they give you a few consolation stones? (And they have only nerfed one single, minor thing I know of) Yeah, I see that happening with the 100hp I mistakenly spent on a boost for this game.

Oh well, they just insured that a lot of players, including me, will never spend another dime on their game. How can they be this incompetent?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

messagemode1 posted:

New option in the patch to un nerf wolverine Thor and ragnarok for 3 hours, costs $500 USD.

joke stolen from a friend

Oh please, 3 hours would be far too strong. That wouldn't be funbalanced at all. :v: It'd be a boost for three battles and you'd still have to pay HC after unlocking it.

Anyway, guess I'll probably just punch Doctor Doom in the face once a day and keep getting the daily rewards. Maybe some day the game will get better again. (ha ha)

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
I really wish I knew about the 3 color boost change before I clicked on it. It seems like they wanted people to use other boosts but that's such a lovely way of handling it. It's gunna be so much harder to do anything in this game now.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
Now that I got the whining out of my system, why didn't they just upgrade Thor to a 3 star and balance from there? He is a god, after all; why is he only 2 stars to begin with? Giving him a little more budget for his powers before nerfing would have been throwing a decent bone towards the playerbase.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

trucutru posted:

Oh well, they just insured that a lot of players, including me, will never spend another dime on their game. How can they be this incompetent?

They didnt used to be. :shrug:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

This is kinda reminding me of Dungeon Defenders. :smith:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

GeckoMissingo posted:

I really wish I knew about the 3 color boost change before I clicked on it. It seems like they wanted people to use other boosts but that's such a lovely way of handling it. It's gunna be so much harder to do anything in this game now.

The proper way to lessen the sting of the increased boost costs is to make new boosts. +3 to a single color 100 ISO, +1 to 2 colors 100 ISO, +1 to all 200 ISO. Claim that it was presenting issues. You could then do what most people wanted for the same price (single for 100 double for 200 = 300) but you just nerfed them getting a bunch of off colors, and you just make the +3 all extremely powerful and need the HP cost so you couldn't do +3 1 +3 2 +3 all for 9 off the bat without dropping HP.

That is how you loving "nerf" something. You make alternatives that basically do the same thing and ramp up the cost of the current way. Hell make the singles part of a new "chapter 1" after the prolog so people have to slog through some PvE first too! Release it all at once, in a chunk.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

I need to find a new way of cheesing these maggia missions with the functional loss of AP boosts.

As someone said earlier that's really the fun of the game, figuring out how to break it as much as possible. I haven't spent a dime but my patch is at 4/4/3 from rewards from abusing the rubber banding, bracketing, bugs and thorverine, and my Thor is even stuck at 5/1/3.

messagemode1 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 29, 2014

mania
Sep 9, 2004
Welp, I've been willing to put up with a lot of the recent poo poo that others were complaining about, but this latest patch has me going gently caress it to the game.

e: I'd probably wouldn't be as pissed if they had mentioned the increase to boosts beforehand, but somehow they managed to mention everything that was being changed but that.

mania fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 29, 2014

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Marvel Puzzle Quest: Nothing can stop the Juggernaut from Funbalancing himself

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

messagemode1 posted:

I need to find a new way of cheesing these maggia missions with the functional loss of AP boosts.

As someone said earlier that's really the fun of the game, figuring out how to break it as much as possible. I haven't spent a dime but my patch is at 4/4/3 from rewards from abusing the rubber banding, bracketing, bugs and thorverine, and my Thor is even stuck at 5/1/3.

Yeah its like they don't play the game. I laugh hysterically whenever I get a chain that gives me extra turns and I get thor rolling enough to just chain spam his red and yellow, and patch's green to just single turn a game. I mean it was doable before that but its just hilariously more satisfying with patch.

Also Juggernaut could use some funbalancing, he needs to be stronger.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

pixaal posted:

The proper way to lessen the sting of the increased boost costs is to make new boosts. +3 to a single color 100 ISO, +1 to 2 colors 100 ISO, +1 to all 200 ISO. Claim that it was presenting issues. You could then do what most people wanted for the same price (single for 100 double for 200 = 300) but you just nerfed them getting a bunch of off colors, and you just make the +3 all extremely powerful and need the HP cost so you couldn't do +3 1 +3 2 +3 all for 9 off the bat without dropping HP.

That is how you loving "nerf" something. You make alternatives that basically do the same thing and ramp up the cost of the current way. Hell make the singles part of a new "chapter 1" after the prolog so people have to slog through some PvE first too! Release it all at once, in a chunk.

Also, if you nerf something in a freemium game you *have* to throw a bone to the players. Yes, we're gonna slightly nerf the boosts, in exchange, we're giving 10 free boosts of each type (or some hp, or whatever) to the players.

mania posted:

e: I'd probably wouldn't be as pissed if they had mentioned the increase to boosts beforehand, but somehow they managed to mention everything that was being changed but that.

Yeah, "somehow"

trucutru fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 29, 2014

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I haven't run the update yet (my iphone helpfully asked me if I wanted to) and I have to say that if they're going to charge for skips in PVP tournaments but not actually change the way skips work it's going to be a straight ripoff. In this Lightning Round I am cycling through skips and it's just giving me the same eight people repeatedly. Paying for the privilege to pick which one of these eight people I face is pretty lovely.

edit: Unlike usual I can actually choose to just not run this update but I am also not getting my rewards from the most recent round of the PVE event ending, dunno if those are related but I think I'll keep the old iso costs for boosts and busted Patch for as long as I can.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 29, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dizz posted:

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Nothing can stop the Juggernaut from Funbalancing himself

I was thinking Nothing can stop D3 from killing this game, but that works too.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Bruceski posted:

5 purple, 5 blue, 3 black: less damage, steal all colors (but slower ramp up to first steal), heal against PvE mooks and their countdown spam
5 purple, 3 blue, 5 black: double-dip strike tiles, limited healing in PvE (but still full amount), still steal 4 of every color for 11AP
3 purple, 5 blue, 5 black: steal 3 of every color except purple, full healing opportunities, doubled damage.

Most people prefer 3/5/5 because it also gets OBW stealing AP faster when on defense (for harassing the enemy) but when you'd like to stop your opponent's purple abilities you'll feel it (common with HAMMER mooks but mostly a perception bias thing). 5/3/5 has no downside in PvP aside from the very few heroes who make countdowns, assuming you don't mined the 11AP steal. 5/5/3 is what I use (because I underestimated the effect of her double-dip when a strike feeder gets her rolling) and I manage just fine even if guys take an extra match or two to fall over.

None of them are "sell it and start over" bad.

I went with 4/5/4. It's a slower ramp than 3 purple, but it steals black in support of Punisher and Doom. I didn't feel that the extra damage from Black 5 was worth the 5th cover.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I think they may have just disabled scaling. I got a crash when loading a match against some 150 guys in the new round reloaded the game, it refused to let me play without patching (gently caress YOU) then the guys are all 27. I guess that's an improvement.

edit: new patch is silky smooth no more terrible lag when matching tiles. The moves now also look better and display who is casting them and everything seems to have faster animations. The event icons are now slanted and make me dizzy scrolling through them.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 29, 2014

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

3 Purple steals black. 4 Purple steals 4 AP but needs 4 matches to use.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
If you didn't get your Family Reunion rewards yet, you're not alone.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

3 Purple steals black. 4 Purple steals 4 AP but needs 4 matches to use.

Ah right. Yeah, I really wanted that 4 ap.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

delfin posted:

If you didn't get your Family Reunion rewards yet, you're not alone.

I saved a bunch of missions for the last five seconds and then just darted and finished them, I wonder if abusing the rubberbanding is gonna help me (some missions I only finished once).

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Got my 2/2/3 Patch; was within sight of another first place finish, but I just couldn't handle the 230s for the points. And the the latest...patch...has the biggest fights at a much more manageable level 69. Though Magneto/Hood was a lot less difficult then the Control/Ares/Bullseye even at 230.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sold off Wolverine, since I'd pretty much stopped using him after his balance was announced, but Thor's Yellow is still nifty so I'm keeping him. Got Patch to 3/3/3, used ISO from selling Wolverine to bring Patch and Punisher to 70, and now I still have 10k of that left that I might throw at Widow for higher healing now that boosts are gone.

Still unsure what to do with Patch. 5/3/5, 3/5/5 or 4/4/5 all seem okay?

On the plus side, I no longer need to horde ISO for boosts anymore. I can bring my minimum ISO down to 5k from 10k.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I just checked and the sell rate on my level 85 thor is 34765 iso-8 and 550 HC. That... seems like an excellent return. I may just sell him off and respec eventually, but in the mean time funnel that iso into Patch and Frank and maybe OBW.

Hell, I might sell off ** Wolverine, too, since Patch seems all around better and I'm 2 covers away from maxing him out.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hogama posted:

Got my 2/2/3 Patch; was within sight of another first place finish, but I just couldn't handle the 230s for the points. And the the latest...patch...has the biggest fights at a much more manageable level 69. Though Magneto/Hood was a lot less difficult then the Control/Ares/Bullseye even at 230.

Okay this is odd. You're the second guy to report being deleveled on enemy fights but I haven't been. Anderson starts at 63 after I tanked everything in the previous map.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Sold off Wolverine, since I'd pretty much stopped using him after his balance was announced, but Thor's Yellow is still nifty so I'm keeping him. Got Patch to 3/3/3, used ISO from selling Wolverine to bring Patch and Punisher to 70, and now I still have 10k of that left that I might throw at Widow for higher healing now that boosts are gone.

On the plus side, I no longer need to horde ISO for boosts anymore. I can bring my minimum ISO down to 5k from 10k.

I went with 5/3/4 on my patch and honestly, after the fix it's almost suicidal to activate his green unless you have something like loki to get rid of the strike tiles.

One thing I haven't seen posted yet is that Patch's green is still broken. The strike tiles it creates for the enemies are just as strong as the tiles it creates for your team instead of half. So right now it's twice as detrimental to use it as was intended. I'd probably hold off on upgrading until they do something about that.

SpclKen
Mar 13, 2006
New Goon... go easy

Haven't got my rewards yet either... Anyone else in this boat?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

GeckoMissingo posted:

I went with 5/3/4 on my patch and honestly, after the fix it's almost suicidal to activate his green unless you have something like loki to get rid of the strike tiles.

One thing I haven't seen posted yet is that Patch's green is still broken. The strike tiles it creates for the enemies are just as strong as the tiles it creates for your team instead of half. So right now it's twice as detrimental to use it as was intended. I'd probably hold off on upgrading until they do something about that.

Green's strike tiles are supposed to be the same strength. Red's strike tiles are half.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

SpclKen posted:

Haven't got my rewards yet either... Anyone else in this boat?

They _just_ came in. Got my top 5 and my next-to-last Patch.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Red benefits greatly from going from 4 to 5, so I'd either take it all the way to 5 or leave it at 3. Yellow and Green don't go up in base power by leveling past 3, rather easier access to healing and more strike tiles. So: 5/3/5 is viable, 3/5/5 is viable, I'd do 3/5/5 rather than 4/4/5 if it was me but it's not a dramatic difference. With 2* Wolvie's healing nerfed, 5 Yellow is the closest thing to his old healing so I'd definitely go for that.

Mine is 3/5/4 at the moment and 3/5/5 is my end goal, but if the covers had come in differently I'd have considered 5/3/5 without flinching. I look at it this way -- Red has no potential downside from going past 3 because the strike tiles are already baked in, Green gets more benefit but also more danger.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Green's strike tiles are supposed to be the same strength. Red's strike tiles are half.

Really? I'm just going off the wiki page but it says both skills are supposed to give half strength tiles to the other team.

I guess 3/5/5 is going to be the preferred build if you can't use Loki

Mr. Whale fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 29, 2014

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
I think you should keep Thor and sell Wolvie - Thor is still pretty great, his Yellow ability is amazing when running with Daken or Hulk.

Got my 1st place for the last event, Patch was already at 3/3/3 and i'm not sure which direction to go, but i'm leaning towards 4/4/5.

e: If you have some pink matches on the board, that's the best time to use his green. Provide strike tiles, immediately take them away!

iRend fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 29, 2014

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2714

So, how are people with crappy teams able to cheat in tourneys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Sold both Wolverine and Thor. Only reason I used Thor was for a Daken-Storm(M)-Thor combo and now that's useless with Thor's main power being green.

Raised OBW, Daken and Moonstone to the 50 range. Haven't had a real desire to play since the changes today. I wonder why... :hurr: