Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Degs
Mar 2, 2014

This summary is great. I gotta add on, though, as I didn't play with goons because gently caress being a part of anything with BFM anywhere near the top of the pyramid, that it wasn't just goons being butthurt. I was an officer-eventually-leader of the guild with the largest claims on Calleil (a decidedly less important server), everyone at all levels of power in the game got sick of it.

The game had little incentive to control everything, minimal incentive to pirate and no incentive to keep playing whether you controlled all the castles or none, unless the idea of best in slot gear being held behind 1% upgrade chances with failures being met with destruction appeals to you.

PVP and boats were good stuff, though.

The game was sold to us as being more hardcore than it was, with actual bad things happening if you lost. Getting tradepacks was nice, but a lot of us were expecting an Ultima Online type revival with some real risk vs reward, losing your great gear to other players so everyone plays in good-not-great stuff.

Then you and two other people stroll out in celestial gear and curb stomp people in rare-heroic and you are at no risk of losing anything, I dunno. That kind of poo poo lost its appeal years ago in early WoW.

Degs fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like someone hasn't heard of Item Insurance in UO...

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Of course, but if that's the era you think I was hoping for, geez.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Current day UO is better than Pre-Ren

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Hmm

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

I said come in! posted:

What do you not like about Archeage? Is there anything specifically I should avoid? Without saying the game itself. I just want to get a dude to the level cap and then call it good. There is no such thing as interesting end game content in an MMO.

Ya if you want to level a dude up in a leveling system by fighting some monsters or whatever it's fine.

Also I have not played a lot of bad games, usually I avoid them. Maybe AA isn't the worst game ever made, but it is the worst game I've ever played.

It was my first Korea game.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
It can't be stressed exactly how bad the cheating in this game was. Through incomprehensible feats of stupidity during development of this game drat near everything is completely client side. I'm not kidding, just about everything. Did you hit that guy or not? Client side. Did he hit you? How many hit points do you have? Do you take any damage, ever? Do you have the supposedly GM-only invincibility buff, or indeed any buff in the game that you want? Client side. What is this "sanity check" thing you talk about in programming? gently caress it, sounds useless, go ahead and let the client determine where you are from any given second to another and if the distance between them is 2/3 of the world, gently caress it, client side.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Oh poo poo I forgot about the rampant client-side hacking poo poo. That's also why I quit FF14 (though I hear they fixed all that).

Devs so trusting.

madmulligan
Dec 21, 2014
In its current state, this is a far better bad game than the mess at launch. I wouldn't advise it for anyone concerned with having BIS gear or as a game to stress out over, but for a casual mmo to play, its good enough.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am enjoying Archeage so far. Level 32 and moving along at a real nice pace through the PvE content. I see myself sticking with this game for awhile. The player population seems pretty dead now though, I very rarely see others and when I do they are all level 55.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
If you ever think ArcheAge isn't broken, ask Fauxtool to show you pictures of his tree farms that spanned the entire map from one end underneath the ocean to the other.

PS that is still a regular thing. Also buying Thunderstruck logs, etc.

Tip of the iceberg.

madmulligan
Dec 21, 2014
That wouldn't be surprising. I'd like to see how its done in case i ever get bored but I just enjoy the farming and sailing trade packs around enough to keep playing. With server transfers you can find decent land for sale often enough now too. I left originally because of not being able to find any.

Aranzeb is fairly quiet these days though, plenty of people playing it looks just all casually.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Degs posted:

Oh poo poo I forgot about the rampant client-side hacking poo poo. That's also why I quit FF14 (though I hear they fixed all that).

Devs so trusting.

lol yeah that stuff cant be fixed when its the engine that allows it. All you can do get better at detecting it. The more measures you put in place the more often you will falsely flag legitimate players.

FF14 and AA are still wide open to hacking compared to a game like WoW

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Fauxtool posted:

lol yeah that stuff cant be fixed when its the engine that allows it. All you can do get better at detecting it. The more measures you put in place the more often you will falsely flag legitimate players.

Hahahahahaha, wonderful. I thought they actually moved more things server side rather than increasing the number of checks.

Sometimes I think it'd be fun to reactivate accounts in these games just to see how long you can get away with exploiting your rear end off.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Fauxtool posted:

I'll see a stack of bots teleporting around in Final Fantasy every once in awhile. They tend to roll thaumaturge and spam Fire 2 on densely packed groups of monsters, trying to get as far as they can before the GMs ban them.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Unguided posted:

I'll see a stack of bots teleporting around in Final Fantasy every once in awhile. They tend to roll thaumaturge and spam Fire 2 on densely packed groups of monsters, trying to get as far as they can before the GMs ban them.

Do the gm's have to literally follow them around to catch them?

LesbianCharizard
Feb 1, 2012

I said come in! posted:

What server are you all on? I picked Morpheus which I guess is where everyone is now.

I play every day at Morpheus. Have not seen or get in touched with any SA/Goon, but i know they are hidding somewhere.
Feel free to contact me.

IGN: JudithOhara / Morpheus Server / Nuia Island (west)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LesbianCharizard posted:

I play every day at Morpheus. Have not seen or get in touched with any SA/Goon, but i know they are hidding somewhere.
Feel free to contact me.

IGN: JudithOhara / Morpheus Server / Nuia Island (west)

I guess my nation is West Ishvara? I don't know if we are different factions or not. IGN is omgitsbees

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I also started on Morpheus yesterday, just got to level 10. Ign is Hypnofist.

Luxily
Aug 11, 2012

Kimsemus posted:

If you ever think ArcheAge isn't broken, ask Fauxtool to show you pictures of his tree farms that spanned the entire map from one end underneath the ocean to the other.

PS that is still a regular thing. Also buying Thunderstruck logs, etc.

Tip of the iceberg.

I'm pretty loving funny tbh

madmulligan
Dec 21, 2014
http://www.trionworlds.com/archeage/en/2016/04/27/archeage-producers-letter-april-2016/

Player nations are finally going to be available on May 31st... surprised about that one actually materializing.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Trion posted:

ArcheAge has an automated schedule of in-game events that spans a 9-hour window. Due to the game defaulting to a single time zone within the game’s core programming, the event times had to drastically compromise. This meant 50% of that 9-hour window happened too early for North American prime time and too late for European players.

Three years to fix an automated scheduler. Sums up Archeage pretty well to me.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The ships and cars are the best part of this game.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

did they ever add skateboards to the NA version? that's the only thing i ever really wanted :saddowns:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

kloa posted:

did they ever add skateboards to the NA version? that's the only thing i ever really wanted :saddowns:

Yeah skateboards have been in, they are pretty great for going in a straight line.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

madmulligan posted:

http://www.trionworlds.com/archeage/en/2016/04/27/archeage-producers-letter-april-2016/

Player nations are finally going to be available on May 31st... surprised about that one actually materializing.

Aspergia vs Austiszuela

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

kloa posted:

Skateboards and motorized skateboards

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

hakimashou posted:

Aspergia vs Austiszuela

Don't forget the great nation of Pedophalia.

Dirtybilly
Jul 27, 2013

Goons have a guild on what server?

Dirtybilly fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 30, 2016

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Scattered about with no guild. I think some of us are on Morpheus and some still on Aranzeb.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is true, we are scattered about. No real intention of getting anything organized I think, this game is mostly dead from what i've seen. I mean I am enjoying playing it but I never see any players around.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

A few of the servers are really dead, yeah. But with transfers in, Khrolan has said that he prefers to keep old servers open instead of merging them. Kyrios and Morph will have a lot more people, but it will also be a lot more competitive in land and pvp.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm still on Aranzeb if anyone wants to be ranted at

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
IGN?

madmulligan
Dec 21, 2014
I think most of the closet Archeage Goons are on Aranzeb west still.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I just hit level 50 but I am not sure where I am suppose to go now?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I said come in! posted:

The story questline should continue to send you around, eventually to Auroria to get some okay level 50 gear. If you've already gotten the white auroria story armor and your obsidian weapon I dunno, that's as far as I got. Maybe make yourself a skateboard? Those are fun.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

I said come in! posted:

uninstall the game

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

hakimashou posted:

uninstall the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

I said come in! posted:

Into the corner where you can quietly cry as you contemplate the decisions in your life that led you to play this game after it has been very thoroughly exposed as A Bad Game.

• Locked thread