Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Champions was pretty good, about to read Jessica Jones. Hopefully Bendis can rekindle that magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rhyno posted:

about to read Jessica Jones. Hopefully Bendis can rekindle that magic.

Resetting Jessica to zero is not the only way to write a solo comic about her :argh:

e: though the implication that randos from other universes got plopped into 616 when Franklin rebuilt the universe was both amusing and horrifying.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 5, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Rhyno posted:

Champions was pretty good, about to read Jessica Jones. Hopefully Bendis can rekindle that magic.

Honestly only thing I didn't like about Champions was the last page, because... it feels like the comic is dating itself, and our heroes, after the big speeches about how they are going to help people and not just save the day and gently caress off like the Avengers at the beginning... The issue ends with them all looking at twitter on their phones. Fitting because Super Heroes but also not fitting because it's not very heroic.

It just doesn't sit right with me.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I thought it was pretty good, though on reflection I do think you have a point and it might have been better to show them in their civvies to demonstrate that time had passed. Also, on my second reading I can't decide whose phone usage is more amusing, Ammy's or Viv's.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Onmi posted:

Honestly only thing I didn't like about Champions was the last page, because... it feels like the comic is dating itself, and our heroes, after the big speeches about how they are going to help people and not just save the day and gently caress off like the Avengers at the beginning... The issue ends with them all looking at twitter on their phones. Fitting because Super Heroes but also not fitting because it's not very heroic.

It just doesn't sit right with me.

Also there's the whole thing where they're all checking twitter while there's a dead body right behind them.

Still loved the book. Between Kamala struggling to hide the fact that she's just doing this to stick it to Carol, and Sam and Miles quietly betting on where her original pitch for the team is going, I was smiling for most of the book.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm ok with this new teen titans champions book

SilverSupernova posted:

Also there's the whole thing where they're all checking twitter while there's a dead body right behind them.

I feel like time probably passed and they weren't still standing there on the dock by that point

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.
Honestly, I couldn't get into it. I thought the dialogue was a bit too on the nose and the art was a turn-off. I'll read the second issue, I thought the stuff with the mine shaft was great but the second half of the book was a full-on whiff for me.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
USGBUMU was just released digitally and quiet good, well if you aren't a monster and like the main series I guess. Of course Squirrel Girls middle name is Allene.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Comics are magazines, and are meant to be a reflection of the period that immediately surrounds them. Any timelessness is an accident.

The first issue of Fantastic Four is explicitly about Cold War paranoia, for example.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I cringed when i read that Finally Woke tweet in champions

Who's the birdguy

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I fuckin' loved Champions so goddamn much holy poo poo, its basically all my favorite comics and characters this year just hanging out and fighting dudes. I love love love that Sam and Miles are already developing a Sunspot/Cannonball-esque bromance.

site posted:

I cringed when i read that Finally Woke tweet in champions

Who's the birdguy

New Falcon.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Oh right

That guy sucks

E: i see bendis not only wants to poo poo on carol but also his own newly popular character

site fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 5, 2016

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

howe_sam posted:

Resetting Jessica to zero is not the only way to write a solo comic about her :argh:

e: though the implication that randos from other universes got plopped into 616 when Franklin rebuilt the universe was both amusing and horrifying.

Agree on the second point, and yeah, it was so weird reading Jessica Jones because on the one hand it was like Alias and therefore it was intriguing, darkly amusing and typical Jess. On the other hand, this was a nasty swerve for the first issue for the people who have enjoyed Jess' development, and so soon after Luke and Jess' lovely appearance in Spider-Man it was real tonal whiplash. Not feeling the other superheroes actions within this first issue either, and I hope it's not dragged out too much.
I just feel that I would prefer to see Jessica Jones at work again but with a husband and a baby (since she clearly is working again as seen in Spider-Man.). Could be funny, and could be an interesting exploration of 'normalcy' when you've been through what she has but nope, (Is 'forced' fair?) drama. I'll hold judgement until more is revealed, but it really bummed me out despite being a good issue in isolation as they're such a wonderful couple.

I liked Invincible Iron Man as a character piece, but I find it weird that Carol and Tony can talk that way to each other and then go back to punching but whatever. Well, actually she's apparently a monster now so I guess that explains it.

Great stuff this week with All-New Wolverine, Amazing Spider-Man and 2099 though, plus Champions was a wonderful source of joy compared to CWII.

Metalshark fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 5, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah Champions was great. I'm kind of worried about team-bloat, but at the same time I'm worried any one of the teases they showed at the end won't actually make it into the team. :ohdear:

So like...who even are the actual Avengers right now? Sam Wilson, Thor, and Vision?

Also what's new Falcon's deal? I looked up his name but it's giving me results for an IRL guy. :v:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah Champions was great. I'm kind of worried about team-bloat, but at the same time I'm worried any one of the teases they showed at the end won't actually make it into the team. :ohdear:

So like...who even are the actual Avengers right now? Sam Wilson, Thor, and Vision?

Also what's new Falcon's deal? I looked up his name but it's giving me results for an IRL guy. :v:

I believe Hercules will be joining the Avengers again.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wasp is on Waid's Avengers team so I'm guessing they try to recruit her and she decides not to join.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

BrianWilly posted:

Iirc he was just some kid who got his dna fused with a bird's in the same arc where sam got turned into capwolf

I think he's been shown a couple of times since to whine about being a birdguy

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's insane how much better Champions felt than the start of ANAD Avengers.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
It could also be a few short term team ups like Elsa Bloodstone turning up in A-Force... I'm assuming she's not joining, although now I think about it, having recently binge read both Next Wave trades and the Battleworld Marvel Zombies trade I really hope she does join now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Regular Avengers are SamCap, Thor, Vision, Hercules, Pete-Spidey, Wasp and probably Iron Doom.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Jessica Jones was so god drat mother loving GOOD. Its more loving Alias except full 616 instead of half sorta 616 the MAX series was. Her case is great (shades of that Astro City story everyone loves) the Jessica Drew/Jones meetup was everything I wanted and more, gently caress. It was so goddamned good. I need Jessica Jones being a grade-A douchebag to every single superhero she meets and trying desperately to get her hosed-up life back together. And even as a guy who loves the Cage/Jones relationship I'm super excited to see where JJ goes. Bends and Gaydos wrote and drew the gently caress out of this comic and it was just more loving Alias, which rules.

Plus Bendis writes Spider-Man and this so I am gonna have total faith that he'll make this new pseudo-divorced JJ line up with ostensibly married JJ from her last major appearance. Plus she's probably the character Bendis cares most about that he has written (maybe Miles edges) and he has always written her character to arc and change and grow, so I fully expect this weird Cage/Jones cold war to be a temporary status at best.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Jessica Jones was so god drat mother loving GOOD. Its more loving Alias except full 616 instead of half sorta 616 the MAX series was. Her case is great (shades of that Astro City story everyone loves) the Jessica Drew/Jones meetup was everything I wanted and more, gently caress. It was so goddamned good. I need Jessica Jones being a grade-A douchebag to every single superhero she meets and trying desperately to get her hosed-up life back together. And even as a guy who loves the Cage/Jones relationship I'm super excited to see where JJ goes. Bends and Gaydos wrote and drew the gently caress out of this comic and it was just more loving Alias, which rules.

Plus Bendis writes Spider-Man and this so I am gonna have total faith that he'll make this new pseudo-divorced JJ line up with ostensibly married JJ from her last major appearance. Plus she's probably the character Bendis cares most about that he has written (maybe Miles edges) and he has always written her character to arc and change and grow, so I fully expect this weird Cage/Jones cold war to be a temporary status at best.

It also does not make sense with the Luke Cage we have in Heroes for Hire

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Well, that version of Cage basically only exists there. No-one but Walker writes him with the goofy 'fiddle-faddle' stuff.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Anime_Otaku posted:

It could also be a few short term team ups like Elsa Bloodstone turning up in A-Force... I'm assuming she's not joining, although now I think about it, having recently binge read both Next Wave trades and the Battleworld Marvel Zombies trade I really hope she does join now.

Joins what? Isn't A-force cancelled? :smith:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Jessica Jones #1: Can Bendis please stick to writing books like this, and not superhero events or team books that are completely unsuited to his strengths as a writer?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

bobkatt013 posted:

lol yeah wasnt Jessica there just like two issues ago still being babysitter?

this is probably another book that depended on the end of cw2 not getting super delayed

As for other books rip Tony

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

i sure am glad that i paid $5 for death of x :downsbravo:

Champions was great and I really enjoyed tartakovsky's Cage

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm wondering if this Jessica is an alternate-universe doppelganger like the guy she's investigating while the married Jessica is elsewhere with Dani (probably held hostage by Purple Mn because you know that fucker is going to be back). So nobody knows that gently caress is going on - Jessica doesn't know what happened to her counterpart, and everyone else doesn't know she's not 'their' Jessica, and she's apparently acting like a prick for no reason.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 6, 2016

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

PenguinKnight posted:

i sure am glad that i paid $5 for death of x :downsbravo:

Champions was great and I really enjoyed tartakovsky's Cage

The death it it is also the easiest to recon

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm wondering if this Jessica is an alternate-universe doppelganger like the guy she's investigating while the married Jessica is elsewhere with Dani (probably held hostage by Purple Mn because you know that fucker is going to be back). So nobody knows that gently caress is going on - Jessica doesn't know what happened to her counterpart, and everyone else doesn't know she's not 'their' Jessica, and she's apparently acting like a prick for no reason.

She's already been in Spider-Man as a PI, exactly like the TV show. Single apartment/office and all.

e: I think she's made an appearance in Hellcat too?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 6, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah Death of X was.......clunky. So like, Iceman and Magik were apparently exposed to the mist, but we know they've been completely fine for months at this point and this issue just gives a handwavey "it just affects different mutants differently" handwave. And they verbally say that Goldballs is sick from the exposure, except at literally no point in the issue do we see Goldballs being sick, and we know that he's also fine because he's been appearing in Spider-Man. Showing that the sickness is so random and arbitrary even among people who have been exposed, and then having Scott give this lame WE'RE AT WAAAR speech anyway?...just felt clunky and forced.

As for Madrox, though, I give it three years before someone reveals that this one wasn't the original. It's just way too easy to write a way out of this one.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 6, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

She's already been in Spider-Man as a PI, exactly like the TV show. Single apartment/office and all.

e: I think she's made an appearance in Hellcat too?

It's possibly she's been on Earth since the end of SW and didn't want to disrupt Jessica Prime's life and has somehow been forced to take JP's place.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

As for Madrox, though, I give it three years before someone reveals that this one wasn't the original. It's just way too easy to write a way out of this one.

See also Legacy Virus

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

See also Legacy Virus

Yeah we already been here, done that with Madrox.

Good money says RessureXtion restores all dead mutants to life.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Wow, Joss Whedon's Runaways felt really off.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I was so upset by the teased Jessica/ Luke split that I couldn't really enjoy alias. Uggggggg gently caress.

Champions was my favorite of the week, I Love that Kamala is taking up a leadership position.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Soonmot posted:

I was so upset by the teased Jessica/ Luke split that I couldn't really enjoy alias. Uggggggg gently caress.

Champions was my favorite of the week, I Love that Kamala is taking up a leadership position.

And she is totally not doing this to spite Carol

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Yvonmukluk posted:

I would be okay with this. That way we can have our cake and eat it too

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

bobkatt013 posted:

And she is totally not doing this to spite Carol

I just love the dynamic of Sam and Miles knowing exactly why she's doing this and going along with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Cage was great, the xmen page had me in stitches and the art and writing fit the classic style quite well

• Locked thread