Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

8one6 posted:

You know, I'd probably play the hell out of something like that.

1960: Making the President is a fun board game about the presidential election, so that might be worth looking at.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/27708/1960-making-president

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I'm honestly not sure whether to put this here, the general chat thread, the development thread, or what.

My Kickstarter for Gratuitous Anime Gimmick: Of Raised Dead & Evening Rituals has about 10 days left and is 22% funded. I still have a few aces up my sleeve but I'm going to have to start thinking about what to do if this fails. My hope was to use Kickstarter to pay for artwork for the book, because the art I want is expensive.

So I have, as far as I can tell, two options.

1.) Very slowly commission art out of my own pocket. Getting art for GAG (the original) took me about a year saving up for each piece at a time, GAG: ORDER will probably take longer. That's just for character class art, I'd basically have to blow off any urge to put in art beside that. So, I'd be releasing one big book after maybe a year+, with good art but not as much as I want.

Maybe it is just me but tbh I'm not really a fan of that art. Like, yeah, it's good, but for how GAG describes itself, I feel like it doesn't necessarily fit.

I do happen to know a guy who does art though and he wouldn't be too expensive if you want to look into a potentially cheaper option. He's going to be doing art for the GAG game I'm running since he's one of the players in it and he's been in a bit of creative funk lately trying to think up stuff to draw.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Has anyone been following Root? How did the mechanics look?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

FirstAidKite posted:

Maybe it is just me but tbh I'm not really a fan of that art. Like, yeah, it's good, but for how GAG describes itself, I feel like it doesn't necessarily fit.

I do happen to know a guy who does art though and he wouldn't be too expensive if you want to look into a potentially cheaper option. He's going to be doing art for the GAG game I'm running since he's one of the players in it and he's been in a bit of creative funk lately trying to think up stuff to draw.

It is definitely different than the core book--since ORDER's going to be borrowing more from horror stuff, I thought it would be neat to have something Yoshitaka Amano-ish.

But, if it comes down to it a cheaper option might be what I have to roll with.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Lunatic Sledge posted:

It is definitely different than the core book--since ORDER's going to be borrowing more from horror stuff, I thought it would be neat to have something Yoshitaka Amano-ish.

If you end up redoing it. I'll back it again.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

GrandpaPants posted:

It's apparently by the same guys (or maybe just one of the guys) behind Vast - another game with a bunch of hype about asymmetrical play. That turned out not to be well balanced. So Root is definitely in the wait and see category for me. I hope it's good and then I will definitely buy, but I'm not going in on the Kickstarter until I hear from you brave early adopter goons.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Jimbozig posted:

It's apparently by the same guys (or maybe just one of the guys) behind Vast - another game with a bunch of hype about asymmetrical play. That turned out not to be well balanced. So Root is definitely in the wait and see category for me. I hope it's good and then I will definitely buy, but I'm not going in on the Kickstarter until I hear from you brave early adopter goons.

For what it's worth this is not especially accurate. Yes, Patrick Leder is running the Kickstarter for Root and he did design Vast: Crystal Caverns, but Root was not designed by him. It was designed by Cole Wehrle, who is a proven designer known for the COIN games. Root appears to be a slightly more approachable COIN game with beautiful art which has pretty much convinced me. Also the rule book has been presented in full, as well as a print-and-play version.

Root and Vast share the same artist (the best part of Vast imo) and are both asymmetrical, but that's where the similarities end in my opinion.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

For what it's worth this is not especially accurate. Yes, Patrick Leder is running the Kickstarter for Root and he did design Vast: Crystal Caverns, but Root was not designed by him. It was designed by Cole Wehrle, who is a proven designer known for the COIN games. Root appears to be a slightly more approachable COIN game with beautiful art which has pretty much convinced me. Also the rule book has been presented in full, as well as a print-and-play version.

Root and Vast share the same artist (the best part of Vast imo) and are both asymmetrical, but that's where the similarities end in my opinion.

Oh okay, I didn't dig that deeply. I clicked the Kickstarter link, saw them talking about how this was their next big thing after Vast and stopped there. I'll still wait and see, but with more optimism :)

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
everyone keeps talking about Root and in the context of COIN games, but considering the Cole's actual work and the designs he praises the most it's probably better to consider them in the context of the Pax series.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I'm surprised you chose Amano over Ayami Kojima's aesthetic as far as anime horror-esque art goes.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Hell, if I could find somebody in my price range that did Ayami Kojima-esque art I might have jumped on it. I got sorta lucky finding someone that did Amano-y art.

I just really like the idea of GAG books having the same class archetypes in totally different anime styles for each book. Like, the horror themed one would look like some Castlevania or Vampire Hunter D business, and a space faring sci-fi book might be in a Leiji Matsumoto or Akira Toriyama-ish style, etc. Being able to do a side by side and saying "this is the Delinquent in the core book, this is the Delinquent in ORDER, this is the Delinquent in..." would be neat.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Why Toriyama for sci-fi? Does he do a lot of sci-fi? I mean, I know dragonball has high tech stuff in it and interplanetary things but at the end of the day even the fights against cyborgs came down to buff people punchin each other :v:

I'd assume more of an Osamu Tezuka style or Shotaro Ishinomori style would fit better with sci-fi but that's just me.

Also, you can't mention horror without namedropping Junji Ito or Hirohiko Araki :P

If your kickstarter doesn't get funded, I do think it'd be a good idea to at least consider some cheaper options art-wise. I won't push the matter any further but the offer remains if you want me to hook you up with my starving artist buddy. :)

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

GrandpaPants posted:

There is a full print and play out so I suspect the plan is to fire up the printer or hope someone has put out a TTS module.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

FirstAidKite posted:

Why Toriyama for sci-fi? Does he do a lot of sci-fi? I mean, I know dragonball has high tech stuff in it and interplanetary things but at the end of the day even the fights against cyborgs came down to buff people punchin each other :v:

I'd assume more of an Osamu Tezuka style or Shotaro Ishinomori style would fit better with sci-fi but that's just me.

Also, you can't mention horror without namedropping Junji Ito or Hirohiko Araki :P

If your kickstarter doesn't get funded, I do think it'd be a good idea to at least consider some cheaper options art-wise. I won't push the matter any further but the offer remains if you want me to hook you up with my starving artist buddy. :)

I feel like finding a decent artist that can pull off Tezuka (and not just a straight up American derivative style) might be hard. Ishinomori would definitely be on the table, though. I grew up with Z, so I heavily associate Toriyama's style with sci fi stuff--aliens and androids and adventures across space--though yeah, it's really more of a martial arts thing than a sci fi thing. There's also a poo poo ton of artists that do really good DBZ style art, so that keeps tempting my brain.

Horror's already a sort of weird line to walk with how fairly light hearted GAG is otherwise--I feel like Junji Ito-looking art (while it would be hilarious to see the GAG classes drawn that way) would be tooooo much. No one's going to see anything in an even slightly Araki style without immediately jumping to Jojo's.

Do you have any examples of your friend's art and/or a rough estimate what they charge for commissions? I want to be optimistic about the Kickstarter but, uh, I'm not.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Horror's already a sort of weird line to walk with how fairly light hearted GAG is otherwise--I feel like Junji Ito-looking art (while it would be hilarious to see the GAG classes drawn that way) would be tooooo much. No one's going to see anything in an even slightly Araki style without immediately jumping to Jojo's.

Are you saying you don't want GAG to be represented by art like this?

As for Araki, you'd think that but you'd be surprised.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Do you have any examples of your friend's art and/or a rough estimate what they charge for commissions?

He's not online at the moment unfortunately but when he jumps online, I'll ask him. I know he was doing a commission for someone else's rpg book thing a few months ago but I can't remember how much he was charging for it. As for his work, I'll ask him for pieces because while I have a few things by him that he has drawn, I don't want to post them if he has other work that he feels better represents his style.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

8one6 posted:

You know, I'd probably play the hell out of something like that.

There's the upcoming "Mr President" by GMT games!

http://www.insidegmt.com/?p=16965 for the first in a 3-part preview.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Kings of War: Vanguard kickstarter seems to have righted itself after a rocky start. Once they unlock the giant that'll be a pretty good deal for $150

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What do you mean “unlock the giant”? It looks like you can already select that level.

E: ah, that giant!

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 13, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Quite a big giant too, around 18cm tall

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Giant is in!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

And the next big goal is the new Northern Alliance army, vikings, frosty elves, ice naiiads, and snow creatures, and throwing that warband into the Giant pledge as well for what is now silly value

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Changeling: the Lost 2nd Edition kickstarter is up.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
Gratuitous Anime Gimmick: Of Raised Dead & Evening Rituals has jumped up to 72% funded with five days left. I went from having almost given up to going back into a wild, flailing, desperate panic. I'm going to be able to shoot blood out of my eyes like a lizard by the time this thing is over.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Gratuitous Anime Gimmick: Of Raised Dead & Evening Rituals has jumped up to 72% funded with five days left. I went from having almost given up to going back into a wild, flailing, desperate panic. I'm going to be able to shoot blood out of my eyes like a lizard by the time this thing is over.

Whoah poo poo

That's a turnaround. I really hope you're able to get funded! Was it all 1 donation or just a sudden string of smaller donations?

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

The official term is Space Ripper Stingy Eyes.

Good luck!

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

FirstAidKite posted:

Whoah poo poo

That's a turnaround. I really hope you're able to get funded! Was it all 1 donation or just a sudden string of smaller donations?

There was a cluster of small donations, one dude jumped in and gave a big donation, and one of the previous donators upped their amount. I'm still trying to find new places to plug this sucker, but I'm coming up pretty dry at this point. The person running the RPGNet chatroom invited me to do a Q&A, but the soonest day they had available was... the day the Kickstarter is going to end. I'm a wizard. I've shoved my junk in the face of every RPG forum I could find, I've taken out ads on Project Wonderful, I've tried to get some eyes from Twitter and Tumblr... I don't know what else is left.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lunatic Sledge posted:

There was a cluster of small donations, one dude jumped in and gave a big donation, and one of the previous donators upped their amount. I'm still trying to find new places to plug this sucker, but I'm coming up pretty dry at this point. The person running the RPGNet chatroom invited me to do a Q&A, but the soonest day they had available was... the day the Kickstarter is going to end. I'm a wizard. I've shoved my junk in the face of every RPG forum I could find, I've taken out ads on Project Wonderful, I've tried to get some eyes from Twitter and Tumblr... I don't know what else is left.

I don't suppose you could get someone else to do the Q&A for you via proxy, eh? Like, idk if GAG is a completely solo project or if you have anyone else that helped you with it but if anyone else helped you, maybe you could give them some basic info and have them handle the Q&A for you?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I somehow hadn't pledged yet, so I've fixed that up. Hopefully you make it all the way!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I pledged pretty early on but I'm hoping this goes through as well!

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't suppose you could get someone else to do the Q&A for you via proxy, eh? Like, idk if GAG is a completely solo project or if you have anyone else that helped you with it but if anyone else helped you, maybe you could give them some basic info and have them handle the Q&A for you?

Oh, no, I don't mean my schedule is packed--I mean they had literally no days available on their calendar until like the 20th. Every interview block they had up until then was already booked with someone else, and couldn't be rearranged.

Also, thanks to everybody that's helping out. I'm neither used to nor good at Kickstarters to this thing has been kicking my rear end.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Heh.

Nice.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Have you tried anime sites? I don't know whats big anymore, but I remember https://myanimelist.net/ used to be a big one

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I have zero interest in anime but backed anyway because you seem like a decent guy and hey, goons.

Good luck.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Have 5 dollars for no reason. Hope you make your goal.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Here's another fiver. Please don't go *eyeblood* on us.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
Holy poo poo, thank you everybody.

Go RV! posted:

Have you tried anime sites? I don't know whats big anymore, but I remember https://myanimelist.net/ used to be a big one

I've taken a couple looks, but all the big ones (including myanimelist) have a pretty hard "don't advertise anything, ever" policy on their forums. I also don't qualify as big industry news.

Though, I might be approaching "get myself kicked off some anime forums" levels of desperation, so we'll see

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

Covok posted:

Have 5 dollars for no reason. Hope you make your goal.

Hell, same.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gently caress it, I actually had a job I applied for contact me today so I'm feeling good, have $5!

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Got my copy of Gloomhaven today and boy is it even bigger in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

senrath posted:

Got my copy of Gloomhaven today and boy is it even bigger in person.

Yeah. I knew it was heavy but not that heavy.

Now to corral some players and some free time.