Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

GramCracker posted:

That really doesn't look like Stroll's fault TBH.
I come from amateur bike racing and I have such a hard time understanding how responsibility is assigned in incidents like that with cars. The guy in front can see in his mirrors so he's supposed to leave some room? But the guy behind is also not supposed to run into the guy in front of him because he can see the situation and control it better obviously? In bikes, there are no mirrors so the guy in front is basically never at fault unless he's doing some absurd maneuver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I come from amateur bike racing and I have such a hard time understanding how responsibility is assigned in incidents like that with cars. The guy in front can see in his mirrors so he's supposed to leave some room? But the guy behind is also not supposed to run into the guy in front of him because he can see the situation and control it better obviously? In bikes, there are no mirrors so the guy in front is basically never at fault unless he's doing some absurd maneuver.

At worst it was deliberate (I don't think so), at best it's just really poor spatial awareness. A lot of these feeder series bring out the adrenaline in what are essentially kids who are self-aware enough to know that if they don't do well they don't have much in the way of a fall-back career* and yet not experienced enough to temper the adrenaline and emotions.

I read a great comment somewhere the other day, essentially along the lines of "I watch F1 to see guys who can drive side-by-side through corners at 120mph without touching and I watch GP3 to see guys who can't," which pretty much sums up my undying love for the open wheel feeder series.

* - or more likely, their triple-mortgaged parents who took a massive gamble on their kid becoming an F1 star have constantly reminded them.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

To me it looks like Stroll inadvertently pushed him onto the grass and then from there it just progressed. That kind of stuff happens in F1 but problem at lower levels is that there's just not the skill to handle those types of situations so you get exactly what happened.

Edit: also I love watching lower series for the scruff of the neck driving style these kids have from being so out of their depth. It's probably why I love karting.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Stroll should have definitely given the guy on the outside a bit more room, without a doubt in my opinion. That said, it's definitely on the other guy to just not turn into Stroll when he appears to have about a 1/3rd of a car length on him. Just back off for one sec and then try to retake your position on one of the upcoming corners.

edit: As noted above, it really boils down to poor situational awareness.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

My hot take: Lance Stroll loving sucks and should never be given the benefit of a doubt. He's going to murder someone good and cool...

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Norns posted:

My hot take: Lance Stroll loving sucks and should never be given the benefit of a doubt. He's going to murder someone good and cool...

IDK what I'd do if Nando got murdered again :ohdear:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

They'd just rebuild him again as Fernandriod 4.0

(are we on v3 at the moment? He's been killed so often I forget)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Honda has just announced they've solved one of their most serious problems.

Both Mclarens will now carry a motocompo with them to carry the driver back to the pits.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I hope the Ferrari pace is real.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Human Grand Prix posted:

I hope the Ferrari pace is real.

They got the nuttiest areo package unless the Redbull shows up with some magic Newey poo poo.p

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Not only that but they then butt hosed Red Bull on suspension by making it illegal. Old Ferrari is back baby.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

If it's anything like F1, the driver closest to being British gets the blame

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Actually i just remembered Jock Clear still works for Ferrari and they won't ever get close to the title because their strategy is dog poo poo :smithicide:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

pit kimi out of first with 3 laps left to bump vettel onto the podium.

then vettel crashes.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

1500quidporsche posted:

Actually i just remembered Jock Clear still works for Ferrari and they won't ever get close to the title because their strategy is dog poo poo :smithicide:

"We don't really need to run 3 sets of tyres but Mercedes did it. gently caress it let's drop this winning strategy and copy them "

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

http://www.planetf1.com/news/mclaren-honda-partnership-on-the-line/

quote:

Meanwhile, according to Sky Sports, the problem with the Honda unit stems from ‘unexpected vibrations’ from the engine that are causing the power unit to ‘effectively shake itself into breaking down’.

“What’s the issue with the engine? As far as I can glean, the issue is vibrations and so many vibrations that it is affecting the electrics and things are popping out left, right and centre,” explained Sky F1’s David Croft.

This is...just...so much better than I thought it would be.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

learnincurve posted:

They shut [the motorsport.com comments] down, you will have to go to crash.net for your daily dose of moron

It's sad to see some people love Big Brother (aka the Blue Pill F1 media) so much they're willing to denigrate the heroes actually doing research into why Lewis has so many technical "issues". This is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Lmao the McLaren is literally rattling apart. loving hell

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

http://www.planetf1.com/news/mclaren-honda-partnership-on-the-line/

This is...just...so much better than I thought it would be.

There's a great story about the Mazda Rotary where Matsuda assigned this guy who absolutely hated the entire concept to lead the design of it and he went through thousands of prototypes trying to find solutions to all these problems for a project he thought was going to sink the company. I'd like to think that guy's son is now lead engineer for the Honda F1 engine.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Powershift posted:

Both Mclarens will now carry a motocompo with them to carry the driver back to the pits.
Legit one of the coolest things Honda ever made

poty posted:

If it's anything like F1, the driver closest to being British gets the blame
And rightly so

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I've got zero use for one, but i desperately want a Honda E300 generator. I have an unhealthy obsession old Japanese electronics and appliances.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Did you know that Mazda put the rotary in a loving minibus? I seriously wonder what driving that was like.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

1500quidporsche posted:

I've got zero use for one, but i desperately want a Honda E300 generator. I have an unhealthy obsession old Japanese electronics and appliances.

Fondest travel memories I have are early 2000s Japan. Going into hole in the wall shops and seeing shelves of electronics in had never seen in my life.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

Did you know that Mazda put the rotary in a loving minibus? I seriously wonder what driving that was like.

They had a pickup​ variant as well, Mazda announced they were only going to sell rotaries at one point, it only fell through because of the oil crisis in the 70s. Honestly I don't think it'd be too bad, I'd take one over anything with a four cylinder.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Human Grand Prix posted:

Smooth, I bet. (I miss my FC :( )

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Human Grand Prix posted:

Having driven a couple old RX7s, I would assume it's all about revving it to redline and slipping the clutch all day long.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Smooth, I bet. (I miss my FC :( )

Live vicariously through me and my incredibly poor decision making skills that is going to led me to have the one that I bought for $1000 with none of the interior electrics functioning be my only car from April until fall.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Turbo or NA?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

N/A fortunately.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Well, means it's most likely less beaten up. I had a NA as well and it was just nice to drive. No power steering, etc and you could feel everything and yet still comfortable enough for road trips.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Peter Windsor's posted this nice little interview with John Surtees, et cetera

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYkd5KvVSZQ

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Well, means it's most likely less beaten up. I had a NA as well and it was just nice to drive. No power steering, etc and you could feel everything and yet still comfortable enough for road trips.

To be honest buying the kart ruined any sort of desire for loads of power in a street car. Mine has power steering and the "active suspension" but the rear struts are completely blown out along with the passive steering bushings, but I've been pretty impressed with the front end handling so far. It's a nice little car but it needs some work and I sort of wish it wasn't going to be forced to be a daily driver so soon.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm watching select races from '82 again and I had a hearty chuckle at Lauda calling Long Beach "a piece of poo poo" on live TV.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
America's street layouts are just uniquely bad for street circuits (that said, Australia is the same way and they had Adelaide, though I always thought it was slightly overrated)

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Alain Post posted:

America's street layouts are just uniquely bad for street circuits (that said, Australia is the same way and they had Adelaide, though I always thought it was slightly overrated)

Adelaide is fantastic you shut up

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't like the first sector that consists of endless right-angle turns.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

He was referring to the surface in this case but agreed generally. I like Long Beach though.

It would have been neat to see the F1 cars at Cleveland.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Cleveland is both the most half-assed road course of all time, (even las vegas parking lot took more effort) and one that somehow... works.

Im biased as gently caress because i grew up 10 minutes away, but i'd love to see it do something again post-champcar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lGp4yXkAyo&t=22s

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
CART/Champcars simply produce better racing on street circuits, I think. Modern ones anyway (1980-onwards).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

American street circuits are great in the same way 80s action movies staring stallion or schwarzenegger are great.

• Locked thread