Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
goons itt literally basing their knowledge of finance on a terry pracht book with werewolves and fairies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Pick posted:

oh my god! leave it to goons to not know how money or jobs work

:gb2gbs:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Pick posted:

Sounds like someone needs to Pick up a copy of Capital. :haw:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Pick posted:

Pick posted:

Except there are literally examples all over the place of people who are free to do essentially anything they want, and a lot of them really do just mooch. It isn’t even a new phenomenon, there are a lot of families who still take care of a kid now adult who never got a job, never got an education, and never did anything with themselves. They didn’t transform that energy into artwork, or literature, or even cleaning the house. A lot of people, if they’re not forced to do anything, really don’t do anything.

lolling all over again at this

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
tiny brain:

Epic High Five posted:

join a credit union
normie brain:

CodeJanitor posted:

Racism: Most bankers are rich white racists that vote republican. Less bankers = less votes for republicans = better chance at PoC being elected to office to improve the country.
Global Warming: More dead bankers = less humans = less carbon emissions (especially in the USA and other 1st world countries).
big brain:

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

If I had to sort the guillotine line I would put energy industry execs in front of the bankers tbh.
planetary brain:

Dreddout posted:

We can kill both the bankers and the investors.
galaxy brain:

Goon Danton posted:

There would be much less confusion if we just said "the capitalist class."

--

bonus this-is-your-brain-on-xi-jinping-thought:

Tiberius Christ posted:

Also china owns more american bonds then they did in 2008 even though theyve been wanting to get rid of them. Last time Putin almost convinced them to team up and cash them in to crash the american economy but were China's main importer. However China has been building the One Belt One Road to sell all the poo poo they make to their own people and the growing asian middle class so lets see if they make that deal now.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 8, 2018

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

join a credit union

I have 2 credit unions. One gives me 2.25% interest on up to $20k in my checking account and the other gives me 1.5% on up to $40k. Pretty decent stuff.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lolling all over again at this

Pick does write a good description of wealthy people though

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

buy the dip, pick. fundamentals r strong

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Rated PG-34 posted:

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Tiberius Christ posted:

Also china owns more american bonds then they did in 2008 even though theyve been wanting to get rid of them. Last time Putin almost convinced them to team up and cash them in to crash the american economy but were China's main importer. However China has been building the One Belt One Road to sell all the poo poo they make to their own people and the growing asian middle class so lets see if they make that deal now.

bonds are bonds, if you sell them at a loss the worst you'll do is reduce demand for new ones and force an interest rate hike or printing money, but even most orthodox economists have been screaming "you fools you're turning down people willing to lend you money at a loss, take it and build infrastructure with it"

that's how economically hosed we are, even the non-celebrity capitalists think the entire system is too in hock to existing capital

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Ruzihm posted:

Pick does write a good description of wealthy people though

the failchild is a particular indulgence of the wealthy after all

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Rated PG-34 posted:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Rated PG-34 posted:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Rated PG-34 posted:

I literally cashed out a bunch like 3mos ago for this. but not quite yet.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Pick posted:

I literally cashed out a bunch like 3mos ago for this. but not quite yet.

wow you cashed out 3 months ago and now we're right back at the level it was 3 months ago before the tax bill

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
I hate my life and wish I were dead

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Michael Bayleaf posted:

Cheer up

you may be dead and this is what the afterlife is

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Pick posted:

goons itt literally basing their knowledge of finance on a terry pracht book with werewolves and fairies

and somehow being more correct than actual right-wing economists

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Michael Bayleaf posted:

i wish the people responsible for the bad things were dead, personally

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

If I had to sort the guillotine line I would put energy industry execs in front of the bankers tbh.

Chemical company execs. Definitely.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhopal_disaster

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 9, 2018

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pick posted:

I majored in finance at NYU Stern, and some of my college friends/acquaintances work in what people normally describe as "high finance."

I recognize that these folks aren't necessarily the living stereotypes people make them out to be, but they're still cogs in an extremely harmful machine and should be forcibly removed from their positions (plus having their wealth redistributed).

Finance is fundamentally an industry with extremely perverse incentives, where firms are encouraged to take risks that endanger the greater economy (because they reap 100% of the benefits but hardly any of the downsides, at least at the level of the executive/trader/whatever).

edit: The people who end up working for ibanks, hedge funds, etc also tend to come from very privileged backgrounds, which corrupts them into what amount to human viruses living in the greater body of society. Organizations full of people like this tend to be harmful and usually only serve the interests of other privileged people like themselves.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 9, 2018

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

wow you cashed out 3 months ago and now we're right back at the level it was 3 months ago before the tax bill

Haha

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

isn't also wise to cut taxes during a recession as a form of stimulus? so the implication here is that the trump tax cut is the U.S. government effectively blowing its ability to manage the next recession in favor of benefiting the top 5 percent. everyone else, if they're lucky, gets a one-time $1,000 check which doesn't improve their situation at all in an structural sense, so they're still loading up on credit.

which means kablooey.

Even under neoliberal economic models tax cuts have a poo poo ROI stimulus. It turns into "safe" investment by the rich and debt payment by the poor. And the middle class buys a little, but are still scared of a week economy.

Paying for poo poo people need, like infrastructure, creates jobs, security, and future economic value.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Tiberius Christ posted:

they can't just call in bonds, it's not like a mafia thing

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

Epic High Five posted:

Cheer up

you may be dead and this is what the afterlife is

oh no

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Also pick, I worked at a bank for a few years, and my soul is tarnished by it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Shear Modulus posted:

yep but I think it’ll go down more. it’s hard to tune the market but I think good buy opportunities are close at hand and you need cash to do that.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

That's why I'm not so concerned about this dip. It's still at the same level it was in November 2017. It rose a lot last year. Even if this drops back to where it was in September or August of 2017, that's a sensible correction from 20% down to a more normal 8-12%.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Good point. A lot of people think that if they could go back in time and kill one person it'd be Hitler. For me it'd be Midgley.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

for me it'd probably be john wilkes booth

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Ppl in This thread justifying why they have no money, capitalism and systematic abuses not required

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shear Modulus posted:

for me it'd probably be john wilkes booth

Fanny Kaplan

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

you shouldn't have touched yourself at night, you were warned

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
I appreciate what you do pick, getting the fence sitters to realize just how much people like you deserve to be separated from their shoulders and whatnot

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pick posted:

Ppl in This thread justifying why they have no money, capitalism and systematic abuses not required

you inherited your money

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Pick posted:

Except there are literally examples all over the place of people who are free to do essentially anything they want, and a lot of them really do just mooch. It isn’t even a new phenomenon, there are a lot of families who still take care of a kid now adult who never got a job, never got an education, and never did anything with themselves. They didn’t transform that energy into artwork, or literature, or even cleaning the house. A lot of people, if they’re not forced to do anything, really don’t do anything.
this post was actually a self-description :captainpop:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

fknlo posted:

I have 2 credit unions. One gives me 2.25% interest on up to $20k in my checking account and the other gives me 1.5% on up to $40k. Pretty decent stuff.
dafuq credit union is giving you 2% on a checking account??

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

I appreciate what you do pick, getting the fence sitters to realize just how much people like you deserve to be separated from their shoulders and whatnot

the stock market is pretty good for people who learn about it and don’t invest in DNKR (Dunning Krueger )

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

this post was actually a self-description :captainpop:

the only time I wasn’t working was STEM doctoral studies :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

now that opportunity is gone and the debt issue is actually going to need to be addressed because it will actually cost us considerable money to roll back the debt. in a sane world we would raise taxes on the wealthy to cover our shortcomings but unfortunately half the government is a death cult that can’t get off unless they’re drowning poor people in a burlap sack.

so yeah this has the potential to get ugly fast.

see, this is what I don't get. whoever's not in power seems to think the "debt" is a problem and it never turns out to be. but this is different because interest rates are rising?

why can't the debt just keep going up as it usually does? Are you saying the US could go into default?