Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Sapozhnik posted:

imagine if this was the only system call interface that existed and you wouldn't be too far off
really this is just taking ioctl to its logical and purest conclusion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

some academics were nice enough to write up a paper on why fork is garbage: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/publication/a-fork-in-the-road/

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
yeah we've known all of this for years and yet some people still stubbornly refuse to admit that fork was a bad idea

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
fork was a bad idea but threads are also a bad idea

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
I always thought I just didn't understand how fork really worked because my understanding of it -- it just splits one process into two processes with exact same state and access to the same memory? Neither of them knows whether it's the original without checking PIDs?? -- was so obviously deranged.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
both get copies of the memory space. and you know whether you are the parent or the child based on the return value of fork().

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
fork was fine for limited uses but the fork+exec combination instead of having a real process spawning api was dumb

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
in other news i have a post about graphics / web platform development https://blog.mecheye.net/2019/04/6-years-of-noclip-website/

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

both get copies of the memory space. and you know whether you are the parent or the child based on the return value of fork().

Like I said, deranged.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Suspicious Dish posted:

in other news i have a post about graphics / web platform development https://blog.mecheye.net/2019/04/6-years-of-noclip-website/

wow that is a really neat website for the game art. i hope you keep working on it :)

also it looks like you missed a word in the opengl section where you say "you still need to which ideas are bad and why"

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Suspicious Dish posted:

oh neat i saw that site around and didn't know it was you

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Suspicious Dish posted:

i could not agree more on the paragraph about refactoring, to the point where it is in spirit very applicable outside of hobby projects as well.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

i disagree with the part on refactoring

coming up with better organization or abstractions is half the fun of programming on hobby fun projects

(and thats the source of its issues on non-hobby projects)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Suspicious Dish posted:

Oh, btw, i think you've got a typo here:

quote:

If you want to contribute, please join the join the Discord!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Refactor a small amount of a dealio and you have to basically test it again

This is actually peachy on well tested (meaning automated and maybe randomized testing) projects.

Very few well tested hobby projects

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Meanwhile, I have a long list of things I'd love to refactor but having actual users + API stability guarantees means that I can't :suicide:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Refactor a small amount of a dealio and you have to basically test it again

This is actually peachy on well tested (meaning automated and maybe randomized testing) projects.

Very few well tested hobby projects

the few times i have been really angry with a colleague have been when people decided to "clean up" or refactor some piece of ancient code in the middle of the system with a release looming. invariably breaking something somehow, and bestowing no advantage as the code was untouched for half a decade because it already did the right thing, and it doesn't matter how clean it is when no one ever touches it anyway.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Yeah, the attractiveness of well refactored code is that its easier to test. But refactoring actually tested code makes it untested. Threw the baby out with the bathwater

Limiting factor to the actual value of code is in its being tested, most of the time

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

coming up with better organization or abstractions is half the fun of programming on hobby fun projects

(and thats the source of its issues on non-hobby projects)

My problem with refactors is that they seem like such a nice idea at first, but you always run into The Kludge, and then you go "well, um, hmm", and you think about it for a long time and you're really not that much happier from when you started.

These sorts of high-level problem solving ideas are fun to tinker with in the abstract, but when rubber hits the road you always make concessions. But I'm someone that much prefers to Just Write The drat Code than build a configurable meta-system.

If code can be shared, share it. Otherwise, don't. And if it's halfway to a fit, it probably makes more sense to write it again than force yourself to share it. Repeat yourself when it would be less effort than not.

Thermopyle posted:

Oh, btw, i think you've got a typo here:

Lutha Mahtin posted:

also it looks like you missed a word in the opengl section where you say "you still need to which ideas are bad and why"

thank you; fixed

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it already did the right thing, and it doesn't matter how clean it is when no one ever touches it anyway.
cruft exists for a reason

sometimes the reason is bad, poorly documented/ explained, or no longer required but somebody typed it and got it into a product

refactoring locally is IMO usually the best way to understand legacy code

submitting huge refactors at the end of a project is loving stupid though, as in any nontrivial code base there will be issues that no amount of automated testing will catch

very often these are actually unintentional bug fixes that break expectations...

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Remulak posted:

refactoring locally is IMO usually the best way to understand legacy code

yeah, if I’m faced with some weirdass complicated code that does strange things for seemingly no reason, my usual approach is to just try to refactor it into something sensible. 99% of the time I end up just throwing away the result of this because all I achieve is making the code bad in different ways, but that’s okay because the point was to discover why the code is bad, not to improve it

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Plorkyeran posted:

the point was to discover why the code is bad

that’s like saying the point is to discover why the fire is hot

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Thermopyle posted:

I disagree with the part about trying to cram applications into HTML and CSS via JavaScript

like, SD’s stuff is super impressive, but I should be able to visit a web site on one of my computers older than they are and have it work well

in other words, modulo HTTPS cipher/cert support, if a site doesn’t work reasonably or perform acceptably in Netscape 2 with JavaScript disabled on an early-1990s Mac, it’s not the loving web

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Yospos is the only place i've ever heard the opinion "web uis are bad"

All I remember from my early career was the same lamentations but it was java. So many shifty java apps that half worked

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
amd you had to download and install them with access to your whole filesystem, what a nightmare

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

rt4 posted:

amd you had to download and install them with access to your whole filesystem, what a nightmare

as in http://www.fart.app/ had access to your whole system if you wanted to use their in browser java app?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
no i wasn't really thinking of applets since they rarely appeared in the wild

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

the only applet that ever mattered was runescape

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Suspicious Dish posted:

My problem with refactors is that they seem like such a nice idea at first, but you always run into The Kludge, and then you go "well, um, hmm", and you think about it for a long time and you're really not that much happier from when you started.

The road to hell is paved with, "Why can't we just...."

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

suspicious dish's stuff is a great showcase of the promise of modern web tech (the x11 tutorials are stupidly brilliant, to the point where i think i hurt his feelings previously commenting that it was a huge loss to humanity that he didn't spend that effort on something a touch more actually relevant).

that said both stuff like gmail and huge electron apps are absolute trash and i hate them. it is not really down to some very deep principle, best to leave it pretty case-by-case. rich programmability blended with running text in something that still approximates a page is what i still hope wins out though, even for stuff like email where gmail and its ilk have just bastardized desktop concepts into a browser window.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
in that sense i hope webassembly will take off. it's still web tech so full of idiotic crap, but it's basically finally allowing us to have 'desktop applications' that just happen to run in a new OS (the browser) with a new window manager (the browser).

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the way razor components does things where it computes dom changes server side and then pushes the diff to the client is very good. no javascript "development" required.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
all you need is an always-on low-latency internet connection!

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

ErIog posted:

The road to hell is paved with, "Why can't we just...."

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

suspicious dish's stuff is a great showcase of the promise of modern web tech (the x11 tutorials are stupidly brilliant, to the point where i think i hurt his feelings previously commenting that it was a huge loss to humanity that he didn't spend that effort on something a touch more actually relevant).

nah, don't worry about that. I just gave up that ghost when I stopped caring about Linux.

I'm very disillusioned with the trajectory of the software industry, and the original draft for that blog post was way more caustic. The things I care about don't seem to be the things many other developers care about. I'm happy to keep making toys and things off in my own little bubble for the rest of life. If other people like them, good!

I'm sure my talents could be used to serve ads or whatever else does but I don't want to do that.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Suspicious Dish posted:

nah, don't worry about that. I just gave up that ghost when I stopped caring about Linux.

I'm very disillusioned with the trajectory of the software industry, and the original draft for that blog post was way more caustic. The things I care about don't seem to be the things many other developers care about. I'm happy to keep making toys and things off in my own little bubble for the rest of life. If other people like them, good!

I'm sure my talents could be used to serve ads or whatever else does but I don't want to do that.

The "software industry" has always sucked, imo

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Sagacity posted:

in that sense i hope webassembly will take off. it's still web tech so full of idiotic crap, but it's basically finally allowing us to have 'desktop applications' that just happen to run in a new OS (the browser) with a new window manager (the browser).

so ... it’s finally letting us have something we already had, but slower? hurrah

does it fix widgets? no? then it’s pointless. the problem isn’t javascript, it’s trying to base ui on dom and css that were designed for documents not uis. they’re “fixing” the one part that already had good workarounds like typescript, and leaving the bad parts of web guis in place

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
it's fine they'll just draw a new ui with decent widgets into a canvas

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Soricidus posted:

so ... it’s finally letting us have something we already had, but slower? hurrah
this may come as a shock but not having to install things is huge for most people

my father doesn't understand how to update software but he sure as poo poo understands how to restart chrome if it asks him to, and get automatic updates of google docs or whatever

and with regards to css, there are specs coming up that will essentially allow you to render to a canvas in a more or less sane way

please note that this is all webdev so i assume they will still manage to mess it up, reinvent six wheels and have to rewrite the whole stack five times, but that would count as "cautiously optimistic"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Sagacity posted:

this may come as a shock but not having to install things is huge for most people

my father doesn't understand how to update software but he sure as poo poo understands how to restart chrome if it asks him to, and get automatic updates of google docs or whatever

app stores also solve this problem, with the added bonus of giving you apps with a better user experience, more likely to work without a constant internet connection, and not liable to disappear at a moments notice with no clear migration path to anything else because you don’t have any control over your own data

like yeah installing and updating apps used to be a huge drag on like windows xp but we’ve moved on from that now