Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Tsaedje posted:

Winn's assistant Solbor was pretty great with how much contempt every word he spoke dripped with

He's like Hirsch from WKRP except played 100% straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Watching Voyager's "Scorpion" episode. LOL at the scene of Janeway ordering the Doctor to download all information about his Species 8472 defense into his holo-matrix, and if the Borg attempt to steal it, she'll murder him delete his program. Like, come on, you never heard of a thumb drive before?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Watching Voyager's "Scorpion" episode. LOL at the scene of Janeway ordering the Doctor to download all information about his Species 8472 defense into his holo-matrix, and if the Borg attempt to steal it, she'll murder him delete his program. Like, come on, you never heard of a thumb drive before?

Scorpion is so bad and it continued the neutering of the Borg that began with Descent and First Contact. Just about the only good part of it was the introduction of Jeri Ryan ... and then they put her in a catsuit because Braga was horny for her.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Given Terry Farrell's recounting of his remarks to her, Rick Berman was almost certainly responsible for that as well.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Varani in the episode Sanctuary(the one with the Skreeans)

Same guy who played the Federation Under-Secretary for Agricultural Affairs in The Trouble with Tribbles, too!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

quote:

In the first draft script of "Body Parts", the Bajoran gestation period was referred to as four months.

The writing staff of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine wanted to make the symptoms of pregnancy different for Bajorans than for Humans. Writing staffer Robert Hewitt Wolfe suggested that a Bajoran expectant mother might emit a strong, stinky body odor. DS9 Showrunner and Executive Producer Ira Steven Behr loved the idea but believed it would be slightly too much of an effect, fearing that although he and the other members of the writing team found it funny, neither the executives in charge nor the feminist viewers in the audience would understand the humor of the stench.

loving. Christ.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I wonder if Bajoran dudes being sort of forgettable was intentional? I came away with the impression Bajor is a more female dominated society without thinking about whether that was a goal or not. Ro, Kira, Winn, even minor ones like Opaka are all such strong characters. Definitely was a contrast with TNG's tendency to sideline women.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Randallteal posted:

Kira's boyfriends are all snoozefests. No chemistry at all.
Huh. I just realized everybody on DS9 save Nog had a love interest.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Nog was in love with the uniform.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Did he ask it to chew his food for him? That's how you can tell.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

And Vic Fontaine.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

LividLiquid posted:

Huh. I just realized everybody on DS9 save Nog had a love interest.

RED SQUAD RED SQUAD DEAD SQUAD RED SQUAD

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

oh godamnit

I wanted to get a copy for my wife's birthday, wtf :(

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Voyager did an under water episode that is very similar to Star Wars Episode 1 but I am trying to figure out if this episode aired first.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I said come in! posted:

Voyager did an under water episode that is very similar to Star Wars Episode 1 but I am trying to figure out if this episode aired first.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty_Days_(Star_Trek:_Voyager)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Episode_I_%E2%80%93_The_Phantom_Menace

six months before

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I dont like Paris and he deserved to be left behind for that alien race to deal with him however they saw fit.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

oh godamnit

I wanted to get a copy for my wife's birthday, wtf :(

Check your PMs

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Senor Tron posted:

I don't mind Troi's changing accent. By the time of the movies she had been living most of the last decade of her life with the Enterprise crew and peoples accents and voices do change over time.

Yvonne Strahovski had a very strong Australian accent ten years ago and after ten years of living in the US her vowel sounds are much more American. She says "no" as if there is a single vowel in the word, as opposed to pronouncing "no" with a glide through every vowel in the English language, which is a feature of every Australian accent I've ever heard.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Grand Fromage posted:

I wonder if Bajoran dudes being sort of forgettable was intentional? I came away with the impression Bajor is a more female dominated society without thinking about whether that was a goal or not. Ro, Kira, Winn, even minor ones like Opaka are all such strong characters. Definitely was a contrast with TNG's tendency to sideline women.

Oh dang, I totally forgot about Kira's old resistance buddy with (just) the one arm!

He was a really cool guy, too, even as he supports your thesis, given that he pretty much totally defers to his badass female friend/love interest.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

Could be a result from the occupation.
Most of the men were dying in labor camps, or generally killed by the cardies, so the women had to step up and deal with things when needed.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 29, 2019

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Same guy who played the Federation Under-Secretary for Agricultural Affairs in The Trouble with Tribbles, too!

Aaand that's why he seemed familiar.

I think the prominent female Bajorans were kind of an accident. All the resistance heroes were still male (and boring)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

LividLiquid posted:

And Vic Fontaine.

Lmao

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I would never accuse any DS9 writer of putting too much thought into Bajor.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

davidspackage posted:

Aaand that's why he seemed familiar.

I think the prominent female Bajorans were kind of an accident. All the resistance heroes were still male (and boring)

Yeah, and the writers were planning for Bareil to become Kai basically up until the episode where he withdrew. The Rwanda/occupation explanation makes sense, but I don't think the writers deliberately made Bajor a matriarchy at all.

quote:

"We had talked all year about Bareil becoming the next Kai. All year! And during this conversation, we started talking about a collaborator, and I suddenly realized, 'We don't want Bareil as the Kai. What the hell good is that going to do us? He's a friend, and he's not going to cause any trouble for the Federation.' The trick to drama is to find the person who's going to cause the most conflict and put him in the most powerful position."

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

drat, i can't believe they iced my girl jadzia like that. how come she was written off? ive gotten a lot of conflicting answers from memory alpha

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

CptAwesome posted:

drat, i can't believe they iced my girl jadzia like that. how come she was written off? ive gotten a lot of conflicting answers from memory alpha

The short answer is she wasn't necessarily thrilled with the show at that point, but wasn't necessarily trying to leave either, and one way or another it got misinterpreted as she wanted to leave, and there was probably some malice involved.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Some people were getting raises and she wasn't, so she shopped around and did some auditions to remind producers she had options, Braga was like "gently caress you then, go be on Becker"

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
From the DS9 docu, she said someone told her (paraphrasing) "well, if you don't accept our ~generous~ offer, you'd end up working as a waitress" and she felt (justly, imo) gravely insulted at this. This doesn't contradict what Alborlantern Corps and others said, but if someone said that to her, that's pretty lovely.

She had some great eps early on, but I feel like they really gave her some great scenes and eps dealing with the Worf wedding and flying the Defiant in the Dominion War, and she probably figured she was due a raise, again justly so, imo.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CptAwesome posted:

Terry Farrell's contract was due to expire after the sixth season. She was incredibly bored with the role of Jadzia, because she had gotten to the point of having no characterization besides "Worf's love interest." So she approached Rick Berman and asked if she could do a part-time role in the seventh season, just 13 episodes. She pointed out, justifiably so, that DS9 had so many ancillary characters that it's not like anyone would miss Jadzia if she were gone for an episode or two.

Berman essentially said, "gently caress that noise, you're doing all 26 or you're not doing the show at all." Farrell had had enough of Berman's sexual harassment and had no desire to appear in 26 episodes, so she let her contract run out.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Jadzia rules, Erzi drools.

Having to watch Worf lose Dax to Bashir was kind of the ultimate insult when it came to Erzi. No wonder all of his fondest memories of the place in flashback montage when form he was leaving was killing Gowron.

(Yes I know they didn't have the rights to show any clips of him with Jadzia ok)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Jadzia rules but Ezri...also rules?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Ezri uhhhh solves crimes :shrug:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I thought Braga was the serial sexual harasser, Berman just had increasingly poor and repetitive writing ideas from burnout.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

You thought wrong!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Terry Farrell recounts in The Fifty-Year Mission that Berman repeatedly made disparaging remarks about the size of her boobs (and saying something like "look at my secretary, she's got the perfect breasts") and just otherwise treated her like a piece of meat.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I thought Braga was the serial sexual harasser, Berman just had increasingly poor and repetitive writing ideas from burnout.

Nah, Braga just slept with Jeri Ryan for a few years and he admits to being burned-out on Trek by the time he handed over Voyager to Kenneth Biller in order to work on developing Enterprise. Maurice Hurley and Gene Roddenberry were the sex monsters on TNG, and Berman treated Farrell like poo poo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Years of "Bermaga" have made me always get the two backwards

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Bragman seems more appropriate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy