Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

LA BEAST eats a chicken in a can, canned bread, dick sponge and more from a mystery bag!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0bdorGS1No

You don't eat those canned chickens plain. You use them to make something like chicken soup...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Samizdata posted:

You don't eat those canned chickens plain. You use them to make something like chicken soup...

I get the feeling that LA Beast doesn't much care for how things are meant to be consumed.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MariusLecter posted:

100% ethanol the same way grocery store juices are 100% juice.

As in they use 100% juice in the juice cocktail. :eng101:

100% Alcohol juice!

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

kazil posted:

I get the feeling that LA Beast doesn't much care for how things are meant to be consumed.

That he isn't just straight-up eating the cans themselves seems like a bit of an improvement from what I've heard of him.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Why did goons suddenly get really bitter about him anyway.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

This guy is going to be murdered.

Unrelated...

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

poptart_fairy posted:

He has yet to die as they predicted?

Or he's just become loving depressing?

...moreso

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

kazil posted:

Yeah, you see that in the linked video. But I have used those chickens before for soup, and chicken enchiladas and such when I was short on time. But never solo. Me being me, I had to try them plain. Balls nasty. Girlfriend's sick and needs emergency chicken soup? BAM! Got that and got compliments afterward.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

I think he's in the perimeter shrapnel from all the bullshit, horrible shock and political stuff a fair bit of YouTubers have been pulling lately.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Samizdata posted:

Girlfriend's sick and needs emergency chicken soup? BAM! Got that and got compliments afterward.

Why don't you just have chicken soup on hand?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Volcott posted:

Just add some 5% alcohol to the 95% stuff.

well, logically, the 95% alcohol is 5% water. so if you start with 100mL of the 95% stuff, then add another 5mL, that will account for the missing 5% and you'll be back to 100%.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

poptart_fairy posted:

The need to constantly top himself in his videos lead to a lot of people finding them sad instead of funny. I don't think anyone hates him we just don't want to watch anymore.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Samizdata posted:

I think he's in the perimeter shrapnel from all the bullshit, horrible shock and political stuff a fair bit of YouTubers have been pulling lately.

I was hearing people rag on him here a while before that happened, but the general tone was that he is obviously psychologically disturbed and these videos are a symptom of his spiral, so people didn't want to keep watching them anymore.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Let's have a skiing fail!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhWSHcNxmks

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I was hearing people rag on him here a while before that happened, but the general tone was that he is obviously psychologically disturbed and these videos are a symptom of his spiral, so people didn't want to keep watching them anymore.

Nothing gold can stay.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
All these people complaining about dangerous chemical contaminants have obviously never heard of molecular sieves. Get some 3 angstrom sieves, dump them in your tequila, get tequila-flavored everclear. Dry them out in an oven and re-use them as you like.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molecular_sieve

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

Cichlidae posted:

All these people complaining about dangerous chemical contaminants have obviously never heard of molecular sieves. Get some 3 angstrom sieves, dump them in your tequila, get tequila-flavored everclear. Dry them out in an oven and re-use them as you like.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molecular_sieve

Probably better question for the FOOF thread but that link mentions silica gel and the thought of filtering some liquor over silica gel pellets occurred to me. Is silica gel only going to absorb the water and let the alcohol through?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Samizdata posted:

You’re exceptionally stupid, and should stop posting. The reason people don’t like his videos anymore is:

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

He was self-destructive to the point his roommate paramedic refused to live with him any more and he had to move back in with his parents. Watching his videos literally contributes to his mental illness by giving him validation.

TurboTax
Oct 9, 2012
Does that mean the LA Beast isn't technically in LA anymore? I had the feeling that he was from the east coast, and then moved out to Santa Monica when he started making a lot of money from his channel.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

It's not so much bitterness as it is that he's on a depressing downwards slide.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Bogatyr posted:

Probably better question for the FOOF thread but that link mentions silica gel and the thought of filtering some liquor over silica gel pellets occurred to me. Is silica gel only going to absorb the water and let the alcohol through?

It depends entirely on the pore size. 3 angstroms is small enough that water molecules get trapped in the sieve, but anything larger (such as ethanol) remains unaffected. If you have something with bigger or inconsistently sized pores, it's going to adsorb all kinds of stuff.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I've said it before, but he really seems like he's going to be found recording "LA BEAST SEES HOW MANY LIVE SHOTGUN SHELLS YOU CAN EAT FROM A SHOTGUN".

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Bogatyr posted:

No.

Silica gel chromatography is a common method of purifying mixtures of chemicals and can be used a ton of different ways. Filtering things through silica generally needs a flow of solvent to help push the components through the gel (this is called the "mobile phase," and the gel itself the "stationary phase") and separates things based on polarity. Small, simple molecules, such as water or ethanol, will not be separated very well this way, especially without a really long column of silica, and even then you're kind of screwed because of the miscibility of water and ethanol, and they don't have a huge difference in polarity to begin with, making this method ill-suited for drying ethanol.

Molecular sieves separate things based on molecular size rather than polarity, as mentioned before. 3 angstrom (that's 0.3 nanometer) sieves will remove water from most organic solvents like ethanol and can be dried and re-used, but even then, as mentioned, when it gets above a certain point it'll start absorbing water from the atmosphere.

Or you can do things the easy way and just distill the stuff, which is how people have been enriching alcoholic mixtures for millennia. There's no practical difference for consumption between 95% and 100% ethanol anyway.

For schadenfreude, having to purify unknown compounds through silica gel chromatography takes forever and sucks rear end, and I've been doing it for like ten years.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

Look at this fuckin' square here. Better get home, the street lights are coming on.

Lol

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Kinda NSFW if your IT is into cats.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Elizabethan Error posted:

it's more of a physical limitation. you can't get pure ethanol higher then 95% without using benzene during distillation.

Yeah, you can.

95.6% ethanol is an azeotrope, the water and the alcohol at that concentration have the same rate of evaporation, so you can't increase the ethanol content relative to the water by distilling. But if you add a third component to the solution, you're changing the relative fraction of ethanol and water and their evaporation rates change, so now you can preferentially evaporate ethanol again. Benzene's common to use for that, but a bunch of other compounds can be used too. Benzene's actually not used to much anymore because of its carcinogenicity.

Trouble is you don't want to drink the other things that can be used, either. Toluene's not really good for you, either.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

"ralph pls go"
"no"
~falls out of position

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

I also said "most other companies" in the original post. My point was that the other poster was wrong when he implied Apple was some fringe group so the Home Pod will fail.

Huawei exists. (LMAO that iOS autocorrected that to 'Hussein'.)

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Doubleposting because I am a bad person.

LA Beast is/was a very charismatic dude who used to do poo poo like eat a bunch of super hot peppers and hold out as long as possible before drinking milk or eat a shitload of food and then run 10x laps around a track.

I think the shark was jumped around the time he drank ipecac and puked on his dad's steering wheel.

There is an interesting question about when doing insane poo poo for YouTube moneys crosses into actual insane but I'm drinking.

PS Like and subscribe.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Doubleposting because I am a bad person.

LA Beast is/was a very charismatic dude who used to do poo poo like eat a bunch of super hot peppers and hold out as long as possible before drinking milk or eat a shitload of food and then run 10x laps around a track.

I think the shark was jumped around the time he drank ipecac and puked on his dad's steering wheel.

There is an interesting question about when doing insane poo poo for YouTube moneys crosses into actual insane but I'm drinking.

PS Like and subscribe.

Probably when he started eating a fuckton of stuff that isn't food and may actually be harmful, like pencils or sand.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

chitoryu12 posted:

Probably when he started eating a fuckton of stuff that isn't food and may actually be harmful, like pencils or sand.

Crabs eat sand

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

axolotl farmer posted:

Don’t drink 99 or 100% alcohol!

100% ethanol is hygroscopic and draws water from the air until it reaches an equilibriun at ~95%.

99% ethanol is either mixed with dessicants or distilled by a method that leaves traces of really nasty organic solvents like benzene.

Don't worry, as I said, I won't drink it. It probably has drawn some water into it as I have used it a couple times for things. It's a product cleared out from a closed lab (not where I currently work, so I am okay saying that :P) and it does have benzene in it, but less than 1 ppm. I generally won't drink anything that isn't food grade anyway though for innumerable reasons and doubly so if it has been in a lab.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Why don't you just have chicken soup on hand?

Because I like to cook, and the canned stuff isn't nearly as allium heavy as I like?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Well, competitive eaters are not the most neurotypical, IMO. And the YTer lifestyle leads down some scary stunt-laden paths...

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Samizdata posted:

allium heavy

mods namechange pls

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
EDIT: Never mind, FF was being weird.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Samizdata posted:

Excuse me? I like things like scallions, garlic and onions.

FYI: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allium

I know what you meant, I just think it's a funny phrase

e: or a gerund? idk

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Dave Grool posted:

I know what you meant, I just think it's a funny phrase

The first time I responded all FF showed me was the quote and the word MODS. So, I figured I had pissed someone off. Sorry for the unneeded return fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

canis minor posted:

I'm more worried about this: https://krausefx.com/blog/mac-privacy-sandboxed-mac-apps-can-take-screenshots (apparently any app can make a screenshot of your screen at any point)
I don't think any operating system has anything to prevent a program written to take screenshots from taking screenshots. If there's a way to capture a screenshot from something passive like a web page then yeah, that's a problem, but if an app wants to be malicious it can just be a keylogger and not bother with screenshots and OCR. Bottom line as always is don't install apps you don't trust.