Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
I went and took pictures with/of friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toby
Dec 4, 2002

CarrotFlowers posted:

I think she missed her lips with the lipstick...

I wanted very badly to comment on it, but decided I am only an onlooker in this thread and shouldn't criticize

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

thetzar posted:

I actually kinda like the shadow in this one... it's like his little buddy or something haha.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

thetzar posted:

Nice light you got there.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

toby posted:

I wanted very badly to comment on it, but decided I am only an onlooker in this thread and shouldn't criticize

All should participate, friend.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Did some beauty work today, which I don't usually do.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
You made that man look very pretty so I'd say good job on that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Whirlwind Jones posted:

You made that man look very pretty so I'd say good job on that.

:getout:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yo it was a legit good burn.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Something generic

Only registered members can see post attachments!

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

XTimmy posted:

This is gonna sound reallllll pretentious but using natural light well is one of those things you really have to just practice and practice at. I'd say the thing I find most people lack ( I end up on more student sets than I should) is an understanding of negative fill. Anyone who's been in a studio which is painted totally white will know what I mean.

I obviously don't know how Cameron approached her work, but were I to try and recreate the portrait of the man I would seat him below a high window upstage of the subject and to camera right, that's the obvious bit, taken from the shadows and the catchlights in his eyes. I would probably place flags (black fabrics mounted to C-Stands) either side of the window, so that the light was only striking him, and bring a flag in close to him, up to the camera left, downstage portion of his face, to remove any fill from the ambient and increase contrast across the face. She's very very good at picking the angle of light, and I'm sure the tonality and unique colour response of her medium helps the image significantly. But often I find cutting light more beneficial in creating a dramatic mood than adding it. I hope that made sense.

Just saw this post - super helpful, thanks!

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Just playing with light

8 aprile 2014 di maxmars70, su Flickr

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

Exposing crotch shot?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Did you intentionally have all the shadows point to her crotch?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

triplexpac posted:

Did you intentionally have all the shadows point to her crotch?

Yeah I didn't want to say anything but... it's like that's deliberately the focal point of the image. I mean I guess if that's what you were going for, cool, I just can't think why you would.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Well what else was it going to be, her face?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

It's like a photo taken by someone who hasn't been exposed to any photography that wasn't inside of a Maxim issue.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

ansel autisms posted:

It's like a photo taken by someone who hasn't been exposed to any photography that wasn't inside of a Maxim issue.

I'm just trying to imagine the direction being given... "ok... wider... wider... WOAH NOT THAT MUCH... ok there, perfect."

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

toby posted:

It's weird to see just lip liner, but it happens. Hang out with some cholas and they'll tell you all about it.

ansel autisms posted:

This isn't that bad. I mean, it's not actively offensive. If you want to see some lovely glamour photography of girls, go grab a recent issue of Playboy. Oh how the mighty have fallen...

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I don't mind the pose at all. I do think that weird hair styling is killing that photo, but I don't see anything bad or wrong about the pose? I didn't even notice the shadows "pointing" at the crotch and even now I can't really see it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

1st AD posted:

I don't mind the pose at all. I do think that weird hair styling is killing that photo, but I don't see anything bad or wrong about the pose? I didn't even notice the shadows "pointing" at the crotch and even now I can't really see it.

I'm sorry son, it's because you're gay.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

I'm just trying to imagine the direction being given... "ok... wider... wider... WOAH NOT THAT MUCH... ok there, perfect."
Goddamn this is amazing.

BigBoss posted:

This isn't that bad. I mean, it's not actively offensive.
Headcheck.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

evil_bunnY posted:

Headcheck.

In all seriousness it's not like it's the worst thing ever, it's just a really unfortunate pose (that makes it kinda bad unless it was an ad shoot for a slim-line menstrual pad).

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SoundMonkey posted:

In all seriousness it's not like it's the worst thing ever, it's just a really unfortunate pose (that makes it kinda bad unless it was an ad shoot for a slim-line menstrual pad).

Exactly. It's otherwise a perfectly well executed example of the style of shot he was going for. He just caught a bad shadow and didn't notice it for whatever reason. She looks a little like she's giving birth to Stannis Baratheon's shadow baby. I would honestly just go with it. Full distressed post, crank up the shadows and contrast. Full on, "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em."

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Huxley posted:

Exactly. It's otherwise a perfectly well executed example of the style of shot he was going for. He just caught a bad shadow and didn't notice it for whatever reason. She looks a little like she's giving birth to Stannis Baratheon's shadow baby. I would honestly just go with it. Full distressed post, crank up the shadows and contrast. Full on, "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em."

The pose is pretty terrible (not to mention the facial expression), shadow or no.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MrBlandAverage posted:

The pose is pretty terrible (not to mention the facial expression), shadow or no.

It looks close enough to other pictures I've seen that look like that, is what I meant.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Took this a few months ago of my brother-in-law and nephew who just a few hours old.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Snapped a photo of my friend when we went out on a photowalk together

Gent by alkanphel, on Flickr

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

Your "friend" has an extrememly cool hairstyle and general look.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

erezaka posted:

Your "friend" has an extrememly cool hairstyle and general look.

What are you implying with the :airquote: ?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

What are you implying with the :airquote: ?

I'm wondering about that too, since I go on photowalks with friends and not "friends".

Duckjob
Aug 22, 2003
Pack 'n Save has everyday low prices
Somehow I keep getting child portrait gigs lately from the usual Formula Drift routine

5D3_2696 by capacity4action, on Flickr

5D3_2596 by capacity4action, on Flickr

5D3_1626 by capacity4action, on Flickr

Duckjob fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 15, 2014

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

alkanphel posted:

Snapped a photo of my friend when we went out on a photowalk together

What background did you use on this? I like the ethereal feel.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

maxmars posted:

What background did you use on this? I like the ethereal feel.

Just an off-white wall of a building, several metres away.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Hello I still exist bloody life and moving house and children do you like photos good here is a photo is it alright who knows

If you click through and fullscreen it, it might look good.

I *deep breath* like it and am *second deep breath* quite pleased with it.

Which is code for "there are ten things that are bad about this photo I have failed to spot. Please destroy it".

GO

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Heroin's a killer.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

ansel autisms posted:

Heroin's a killer.

I dunno man I'm getting more of a "doing krokodil in the bushes just inside the exclusion zone in Pripyat" vibe from it.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Gazmachine posted:

Hello I still exist bloody life and moving house and children do you like photos good here is a photo is it alright who knows

If you click through and fullscreen it, it might look good.

I *deep breath* like it and am *second deep breath* quite pleased with it.

Which is code for "there are ten things that are bad about this photo I have failed to spot. Please destroy it".

GO

There's a lot I like about this photo, but I don't understand why you overlaid a Saint Patrick's Cross on top of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I have up until now mainly been giving minimal direction and just documenting - I want to try to take more control of my photographs, so I tried for the first time today posing my wife for some shots. Being that this is really unfamiliar territory, I would love any advice or critique if possible.

IMG_8154 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

IMG_8193 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

IMG_8187 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

IMG_8127 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

IMG_8172 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr