Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

BlazinLow305 posted:

I can't seem to find the answer, which is a little important, because I'd hate to avoid taking it on my melee guys if all along it would increase their healing received.
It gives a % boost to the healing bonus when using items on that character. This only applies out of combat, and not only to food items--Blueberries and Blackberries and the like will also get boosted, the bonus % being additive on top of their base 30--but only to consumables (magic doesn't count).

BlazinLow305 posted:

Ah, didn't even consider all that about it only affecting the food stuff. One more dumb question..I missed the first level of combat skills I could buy in the Port of Clik which is the first port early in the game that gets wiped out. Will the skill guy still be there among the survivors, and if not will this screw me over for the rest of the game? I could just go check, but don't have access my emulator right now. I just hope missing it the first time hasn't screwed me. For the record I'm right around the end of the Ashton sidequest, around level 25 average for my characters.
You should be able to get the rest of the skills in the next four major cities, and since Clik was just destroyed, you're very close to getting to them. You can actually access one of those cities right now (I think it sells all the skill sets you could've gotten in Clik AND the most important one early-game) and you should have access to the other three at your leisure.

You absolutely can't miss any skills, but I will strongly advise you save if you want to try pickpocketing that Rainbow Diamond. Its "DC" is stupid high.

Azaael posted:

Also a quick note: when equipping armor and accessories, make sure you double-check the weaknesses. I remember when I had a character with the Atlas Ring(an accessory you get much later), and wondered why they were taking shitloads of damage from elements(back on my very first playthrough before I really learned the ropes.) Turned out it was weak against *everything* and I didn't have anything on that counter-acted it, whoops.
On the other hand, it's a goddamn Atlas Ring, which doubles your damage. 4x if you have two equipped since they stack, and 8x if you use a Mandrake on a character they're friends with to give them the unmarked anger buff :eng101:

Also I'm pretty sure you can get it very early. Claude can craft it with Metalworking using a Rainbow Diamond (of which you can get one in Arlia--the very first city--with Pickpocket, and you can get a second in a Private Action very soon (in Lacour, if you know where that is) if Claude is your main character). Good poo poo, that, and worth every point of bonus damage you'll take.

Tch, it's such a dumb rear end game, but I wanna play it again now.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Hocus Pocus posted:

Bought a Vita, and someone recommended picking up Trails in the Sky. Never heard of it and it looks like any old JRPG except it has kind of a steep price point, should I just have faith and jump in?

Hell yeah, it's gotten a lot of good coverage here and I it's one of one of the best games for the PSP (maybe).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hocus Pocus posted:

Bought a Vita, and someone recommended picking up Trails in the Sky. Never heard of it and it looks like any old JRPG except it has kind of a steep price point, should I just have faith and jump in?

casual poster posted:

Hell yeah, it's gotten a lot of good coverage here and I it's one of one of the best games for the PSP (maybe).

I've recently gotten it for my PSP and it's been pretty decent so far. It hasn't held me in place for hours at a time the way some RPG's can, but I'm having fun with it.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
There's a ton of talk about it in this thread on earlier pages. Maybe a quick search will get you the much bigger posts on the topic. My personal take is that the game is charming, the story is typical JRPG fare but the writing was fine (some people critize the early game writing, I didn't notice personally).

The game is very easy outside of a certain optional fight, but the gameplay is pretty fun to mess with. It reminded me a lot of Lunar story. The art style also reminds me of Lunar but not quite. Music was nothing to write home about. It's a very consistent quality game though once you get out of the introduction.

All in all it was an all right game. I'm not surprised the game is still expensive. For whatever reason that part of PSN rarely goes down in price unless it becomes associated with PSN Plus.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
I'm playing NWN2 for the first time. I'm having an alright time with it. The story isn't too interesting but, I'm still in Act 1 (trying to get into Blacklade via City Watch to be precise). I kind of wish my party members weren't literal man children who fight with each other at every opportunity. I can understand the occasional disagreement but, this is ridiculous.

Combat wise, I'm fashioning myself as a dual wield longsword dude because I think it's cool and it reminds me of DA:O. I understand that I trade attack for the ability to attack twice in one combat roll. I'm fine with that but, it seems I also traded my companion's attack because they can't really seem to hit anything either. The AI will also sometimes ignore my commands. I just rage quitted because my DW got surrounded by 4 DWs while my companions attack them from the rear. We missed just about every attack and the enemy units were not affected by the DW attack penalty as they whupped my rear end. This was on easy.

Somebody please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

:negative:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

What are your stats like, and what class and level are you? If your strength isn't up to par, you're going to be suffering in combat, and you need the feat support (Two Weapon Fighting, mostly) otherwise you're basically never going to hit a thing.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

Stelas posted:

What are your stats like, and what class and level are you? If your strength isn't up to par, you're going to be suffering in combat, and you need the feat support (Two Weapon Fighting, mostly) otherwise you're basically never going to hit a thing.

Level: 7
Fighter (6)
Swashbuckler (1) [Most recent level]

Base Stats:

STR: 15
DEX: 15
CON: 12
INT: 13
WIS: 12
CHA: 13

Feats:

Two Weapon Fighting, Two Weapon Defense, Mobility, Dodge, Weapon Focus (Longsword), Improved Parry, Able Learner, Silver Palm, Weapon Finesse (Don't remember picking this up, not that it matters since STR and DEX are the same).

Edit: My plan is to jump into weapon master since I plan on sticking to longswords throughout the whole game. All I need left is Spring Jump, Whirlwind, and Combat Expertise if I'm not mistaken.

RickDaedalus fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 20, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RickDaedalus posted:

Base Stats:

STR: 15
DEX: 15
CON: 12
INT: 13
WIS: 12
CHA: 13
This is your biggest one right here. D&D rules are really different from DA:O rules in that the math is "small numbers" book-and-dice stuff that DMs and players are reasonably expected to be able to crunch on the fly where DA:O is "big numbers" complex computer math.

Those odd-numbered stats? Big wastes. D&D works like this: every two points above 10 is a +1 to a stat's mathematical effects. 12 = +1. 14 = +2. 16 = +3. Those 15s and 13s are wastes of points. I'm not gonna tell you to reroll and start from the beginning or anything, but I will strongly suggest you round those out to even numbers using the console command.

1) Right click your main character so the console commands affect him directly
2) Press "`" to bring up the console
3) Enter DebugMode1 to enable console fuckery
4) Enter SetSTR [#amt] to set your strength--that's a space between SetSTR and the number, so if you wanted 18 STR, you'd type: SetSTR 18
5) The rest of the stats are SetDEX, SetCON, SetINT, SetWIS, and SetCHA

Basically, you distributed your points in a way that really nerfs you. Your 15 STR is, as mentioned, only +2, which means all your damage rolls and all your to-hit bonuses from your stats is +2. At Level 7, you could have 19 STR (18 at character creation, +1 at 4th Level), which is +4 to everything you do with a sword, only to increase again to +5 once you hit Level 8. Plus you'll probably be wearing a Belt of Giant Strength, giving you anywhere from a +2 to +6 to your base STR--that's a whole extra +1 to +3 bonus damage and accuracy.

I can see why you went 13INT in your build so you could capstone Weapon Master, but I woulda dumped CHA to 8 and WIS to 10 so I could pump STR some more--I think that would've taken you to 17 STR--especially seeing as how you're full fighter.

Too mathy? Yeah, it was overwhelming to me when I started rollin' the dice too back in the day. Long story short, everything you ever heard about min-maxing is completely true.

However, I will say your Longsword build? Very good choice of a weapon, though you won't see much of a payoff until the very end of the game.

quote:

Feats:

Two Weapon Fighting, Two Weapon Defense, Mobility, Dodge, Weapon Focus (Longsword), Improved Parry, Able Learner, Silver Palm, Weapon Finesse (Don't remember picking this up, not that it matters since STR and DEX are the same).

Edit: My plan is to jump into weapon master since I plan on sticking to longswords throughout the whole game. All I need left is Spring Jump, Whirlwind, and Combat Expertise if I'm not mistaken.
Keep in mind that no matter what expansions you have, you can only ever have three classes. I mean, it sounds like you have a long term build figured out, but just a thing to remember.

Silver Palm was kind of a crappy choice (you can use the console to dick with your Feats, too, using givefeat featID# and removefeat featID#, though you'll have to find the feat IDs yourself because I have no idea what they are, sorry dogg). In real life D&D, Silver Palm would've actually been a really badass feat to have chosen just for the sake of flavor and RP, but since this is a computer game... well, the computer doesn't give two shits about your character's social capacity.

Another thing to remember about Two Weapon Fighting is that the penalty is highest for when you're wielding a weapon that isn't classed as light. Light 1H Weapons are, uh... off the top of my head: Dagger, Mace, Khukri, Sickle, Light Hammer, Hand Axe, and Short Sword. If you roll with a medium weapon like a Longsword in your offhand, you take a huge penalty. I think with Two Weapon Fighting, medium weapon + light weapon off hand is like -2/-2 (light + light is -1/-1), but if it's medium in both hands, you're gonna be -4/-4 to your accuracy rolls. My suggestion: drop your second longsword and grab a Kukuri since it has a fantastic crit range (18-20). You'll see a marked increase in your hit%.

What kind of armor are you wearing? Are there restrictions for Swashbucker like Duelist has? Since pretty much every armor enchantment sucks, I'd advise you to craft Adamantine-something for the flat damage reduction. Adamantine's DR/- counts as an enchantment, and you can have up to two enchantments on your armor (I'd assume the other would be the basic +5).

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 20, 2013

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Also of note: Swashbuckler's bonuses are geared heavily towards a light weapon user, so it isn't a very good class if you're looking at using longswords. It also doesn't get that many bonus feats, so you're probably going to want to switch back to Fighter to build up all the stuff you need to get into Weapon Master as soon as possible for that sweet bonus critical chance.

e: The advantage of this is that if you want to say 'screw it' to swashbuckler entirely, there's absolutely no reason for you to be running around in anything less than full plate. It might sound counterintuitive to 'fast twohanded guy', but the fighter doesn't care what he wears and it'll significantly help your survivability.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jan 20, 2013

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Is anyone playing Westerado? It's this totally sweet Wild West flash RPG that all the gaming blogs have been giving sloppy blowjobs for the past few days. It's shocking how good this is.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Anyone have any thoughts on Torneko: The Last Hope? I watched a review of it that kinda piqued my interest but reviews of the thing are very polarizing.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Megazver posted:

Is anyone playing Westerado? It's this totally sweet Wild West flash RPG that all the gaming blogs have been giving sloppy blowjobs for the past few days. It's shocking how good this is.

This game is great, but right near the end it just froze up as I selected Santa Anna to fast travel to. It's going to reset everything if I refresh the page, isn't it? :smith:

Edit: Also, I found the perp a while ago and drew my gun on him, and I'm pretty sure I shot him but the game doesn't seem to be over. What gives?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Douche Bag posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on Torneko: The Last Hope? I watched a review of it that kinda piqued my interest but reviews of the thing are very polarizing.

It is a roguelike in the cross-franchise Mystery Dungeon series of roguelikes, which are all generally well-regarded. It's possible that you might prefer another one in the series. What about it interests you?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Nickoten posted:

This game is great, but right near the end it just froze up as I selected Santa Anna to fast travel to. It's going to reset everything if I refresh the page, isn't it? :smith:

Edit: Also, I found the perp a while ago and drew my gun on him, and I'm pretty sure I shot him but the game doesn't seem to be over. What gives?

It's a little buggy now, yeah. You also can't do the Rancher Franchise quest if you don't do the tutorial.

An RPG without saves? Probably not the best idea ever.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Neverwinter Night 2 Complete is up on GoG. It includes Mysteries of Westgate too, which I hear wasn't available on the Steam version (but it was also apparently not very good at all so maybe that was a good thing).

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

Neverwinter Night 2 Complete is up on GoG. It includes Mysteries of Westgate too, which I hear wasn't available on the Steam version (but it was also apparently not very good at all so maybe that was a good thing).
MoW was fantastic. Fan-made, so a bit rougher around the edges than the other campaigns, but a pretty unparalleled city adventure with loads of high-quality content, good writing, varied quests, lots of skill checks and class ability opportunities, and no filler combat; easily better than any of the NWN2 campaigns except MotB.

Anyway, not sure if posting deals is kosher in here, but I found the D&D Ultimate Pack - BG1 and 2, ToEE, Planescape, Icewind Dale, NWN1 complete and NWN2 complete - for £7. Insane deal. You need the "Gamestop App", whatever that is, don't really care to look into it since I own everything in the pack already. Just a heads up!
http://www.impulsedriven.com/products/ESD-IMP-W3220

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

TurnipFritter posted:

Yeah, Mysteries of Westgate is basically a module done by the same group of fans who did one of those premium modules for NWN1. They just happen to have a company name whose name escapes me. Anyway, it's a pretty mediocre module if you treat it as professional grade, but it's acceptable if you treat it as a fan mod. It has all of the signs of a middling fan mod too: minimal voice acting, trite side quests, disjointed story, all right combat, good set pieces, etc.

It's no MotB but I'd sooner play Mysteries of Westgate than Zehir.

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005

Rascyc posted:

Yeah, Mysteries of Westgate is basically a module done by the same group of fans who did one of those premium modules for NWN1. They just happen to have a company name whose name escapes me. Anyway, it's a pretty mediocre module if you treat it as professional grade, but it's acceptable if you treat it as a fan mod. It has all of the signs of a middling fan mod too: minimal voice acting, trite side quests, disjointed story, all right combat, good set pieces, etc.

It's no MotB but I'd sooner play Mysteries of Westgate than Zehir.

The name of the module is Darkness over Daggerford and was put out by Ossian Studios

Wendell
May 11, 2003

All right, I can safely say that the Golems of Amgarrak DLC for Dragon Age Origins, on hard mode, is some serious bullshit.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I'm itching to play another JRPG at the moment and was thinking of picking up The Last Story, I skipped all those "get hype" threads on this when it was new so I'm not really sure what the consensus was about it, anyone care to provide some feedback about this game, I did a bit of Goggling and the gameplay videos looks a bit like Kingdom Hearts, and skimming some reviews seems to peg it as a short game and pretty linear to boot.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Im_Special posted:

I'm itching to play another JRPG at the moment and was thinking of picking up The Last Story, I skipped all those "get hype" threads on this when it was new so I'm not really sure what the consensus was about it, anyone care to provide some feedback about this game, I did a bit of Goggling and the gameplay videos looks a bit like Kingdom Hearts, and skimming some reviews seems to peg it as a short game and pretty linear to boot.

It's definitely pretty short and linear (about 20-25 hours maybe?). I found that to be one of its strengths, there are no random encounters, just predesigned encounters, so the gameplay is always engaging and the pacing is really good. I personally enjoyed it a lot, but I know not everyone's as keen on it as me, so I'd get some other feedback too.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Cake Attack posted:

It's definitely pretty short and linear (about 20-25 hours maybe?). I found that to be one of its strengths, there are no random encounters, just predesigned encounters, so the gameplay is always engaging and the pacing is really good. I personally enjoyed it a lot, but I know not everyone's as keen on it as me, so I'd get some other feedback too.

I really enjoyed Last Story. The characters are largely adults and act like adults for the most part. The writing is pretty good and the voice acting sells it pretty well. The gameplay was fun and like you said, pretty engaging. Many fights almost felt like puzzles that required the right abilities at the right time to be victorious. Stats matter but don't seem to break the game open. Customizable outfits were neat, in that you can dye clothing on the fly and such. It's a nice touch. Overall it's a pretty tight experience and well worth the time investment.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I can second the Last Story. I got it for Christmas, and its a pretty solid game. A lot of people complained that it is cliche, but I think the game does a really good job not making those cliches annoying (like many other JRPGs do). The city "hub" you go back to after missions is very detailed, and there's a lot of secret items to find and sidequests to complete as well. There's even more to do after completing the game, and the New Game+ mode lets you carry everything over and blaze through the game again if you want. The battles are well done, and the game is always throwing new enemies and situations at you. The only problem is that the game is kinda easy, but that's the worst thing you can say about this game.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Don't you unlock a Hard mode after you beat the game as well? Not that that really helps you that much unless you want to play through twice though.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Okay you guys sold me on this, I was going to ask more about the linearity on how this plays out, as with Final Fantasy XIII it was pretty drat linear, at least until you get to Grand Pulse, and this definitely wasn't my favorite kind of structure for an RPG, but a Town hub can work for me. I'm assuming it's the place that send you off all around for missions and stuff, and the New Game+ stuff sounds great too and doesn't make being a short game such a negative. Bonus question, does this game sport any sort of Uber Baddy end game stuff, or dungeons that will kick your butt unless you come prepared near the end, I'm a sucker for that stuff.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Im_Special posted:

Okay you guys sold me on this, I was going to ask more about the linearity on how this plays out, as with Final Fantasy XIII it was pretty drat linear, at least until you get to Grand Pulse, and this definitely wasn't my favorite kind of structure for an RPG, but a Town hub can work for me. I'm assuming it's the place that send you off all around for missions and stuff, and the New Game+ stuff sounds great too and doesn't make being a short game such a negative. Bonus question, does this game sport any sort of Uber Baddy end game stuff, or dungeons that will kick your butt unless you come prepared near the end, I'm a sucker for that stuff.

The dungeons do indeed get harder, but as long as you know what you're doing (as in, you know all the skills and how to set up spellcircles to best aid yourself), you'll kick rear end. And the game is very linear, but it stops to catch its breath periodically (rather than FFXIII's awful method of continually plodding forward).

There are also several sidequests scattered around Lazulis City. The game uses a Chapter system (and there are a LOT of Chapters) that pops up in important cutscenes, so if it looks like you've skipped one or two, there's a side-chapter lurking somewhere in the city for you to find. You can do them out of order, so don't worry if it looks like you missed one.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

The Class of Heroes 2 release is on the horizon so there's a limited signup for physical copies. The box sets will come with a PSN code for the digital version as well.
http://www.gaijinworks.com

quote:

The digital release of Class of Heroes 2 will be available on the North American PlayStation Network for $24.99. The European release still needs a PEGI rating, but we're shooting to get it out shortly after the North American release.

If we can pre-sell at least 2,500 copies of a Physical PSP version with a color manual, UMD with color disc label, and a digital download code, we can do a physical+digital combo version for $34.99, shipped to you. At this time, all we want to do is gauge interest in this offering, so if you want to purchase this version were it made available, sign up using the form below with your email address, your name, and the number of copies you want. As an extra special thank-you, supporters of our Deluxe edition Kickstarter that did not fund will get a special UMD label art that's different from the general run.

THIS IS NOT THE ACTUAL PREORDER. It's just a way for us to see if we should proceed with the preorder program. Whether you want a digital or a physical release, you'll soon to be able to play Class of Heroes 2 for yourself!

INTERNATIONAL FANS: You are welcome to sign up for the preorder program, but please note that international orders for a physical+digital version will cost $10 additional for shipping. Also, since the EU rating will not be done in time, the physical game will be the North American version and the digital code included will be for the North American PSN only.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So I'm looking for another project to tackle, aka play through some rather large RPG series of games that I've never heard of, or are just highly underrated gem's. I'm wondering if any of you guys have played and can vouch for some of these games, any feedback from your experiences are welcomed.

Wild Arms 3
Wild Arms 4
Wild Arms 5
Wild Arms Alter Code: F

I played through both Wild Arms 1/2 back in the day when those games were new, I remember liking them a lot and 1 has one of the best intro songs ever, I don't remember to much about them, but I going to guess 3/4/5 and not continuations of anything and are there own game, maybe a few throw backs here and their I'll miss out on. Are they mechanically fun games? Alter Code: F is a remake of the first it seems so I might skip out on this one. Also worried I might get burnt out and not finish them, its a rather large number of games.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner - Raidou Kuzunoha vs. the Soulless Army
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon

No clue about these, they are more Shin Megami Tensei games so I kinda know what to expect, I've played the Persona's games and Nocturne but have yet to play the Digital Devil Saga games, the ones I have played I must admit I'm not too particularly fond of so I'm a little hesitant, are these games best played together, is the story connected between them? Can I get away with just playing Devil Summoner 2 the newer better reviewed one?

Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis
Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy

Another no clue about this series and I have never played anything made by GUST, but I do keep hearing about Atelier, Mana Khemia and the Ar tonelico series in niche RPG talk and they do seem well received and I lucky have access to these Mana Khemia games so they are candidates for my project. Judging from pictures alone it looks one part anime one part Tales series and one part Legend of Mana, kind of sold just going by that.

.hack// Games

Please don't recommend these, I don't know much about them other then you play in an MMO universe like that anime show Sword Art Online, and the stories are connected I think which means it's all or nothing for this series. I have always been interested in them though. I guess I've never played this series when I was younger because starting with part3 or vol2 when you knew there were the earlier games discouraged me from picking them up. There are literally a bajillion games that are dot hack and am quite concerned they will burn me out and that's my only con here really. Seriously though I wouldn't mind tackling this if you guys recommend them.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The .hack// games are quite good, and they're more like two games spread up into little bits, but I'd probably recommend the Mana Khemia games over them. They're just flat out great all-around, and if you like JRPGs, chances are you'll like them. Just don't go in for a huge, bombastic, world-spanning adventure story, because they are definitely not that.

Speaking of Wild Arms, I just finished Wild Arms 2 a couple minutes ago, and I wanna know where I should go from here. I really liked the game, despite the penultimate boss being pretty much everything wrong with a JRPG boss fight (and the last one being everything right with JRPG final battles). I'll probably start up playing the first Wild Arms, but I also wanna know which other games are good. A friend who has played Wild Arms 4 tells me it's probably the best one, but some other thoughts would be appreciated.

Now I just need to go and find the soundtrack for WA2, because that final battle song and post-credits music owned face.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I recall 3 being pretty fun but I haven't played it since 05ish so I couldn't tell you any details.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Im_Special posted:

Wild Arms 3
Wild Arms 4
Wild Arms 5

I played through both Wild Arms 1/2 back in the day when those games were new, I remember liking them a lot and 1 has one of the best intro songs ever, I don't remember to much about them, but I going to guess 3/4/5 and not continuations of anything and are there own game, maybe a few throw backs here and their I'll miss out on. Are they mechanically fun games? Alter Code: F is a remake of the first it seems so I might skip out on this one. Also worried I might get burnt out and not finish them, its a rather large number of games.

Alter Code F isn't very good. It's a remake but it isn't a good remake and it loses a lot of the charm of WA1. I hated it and would play WA1 over AC:F any day of the week.

Wild Arms 3 is an overall solid game. It's got some mechanical changes but they're overall okay. It's biggest problem is that it's very very long in a weird way. They divide the story up into 'arcs.' Each arc tells its own story (while dropping hints for the next story) and you even get a new opening animation each time the arc changes. It makes the game feel kind of bloated because it's almost like 3-4 mini-stories that kind of lead into each other instead of one coherent self-contained story.

WA4's story is an absolute atrocity, but it introduces new hex-based combat gameplay which is reasonably fun. However the story is so awful and the dungeons so boring that it isn't actually worth playing. Seriously, I can not stress how atrociously awful the story is.

WA5 has a pretty stupid story but it's better than WA4's and it has the same hex gameplay. It is basically a giant mecha show disguised as a Wild Arms game. It was also the 10th Anniversary Game so it has a huge number of callbacks to previous games, including costumes and character cameos.

I'd basically play WA3 and MAYBE WA5. Skip the others.

As far as Mana Kehmia goes:

MK1 is a fun enough game. It's basically Anime Harry Potter. The combat system is pretty interesting and the alchemy is fun. The plot is generic JRPG school goofiness. MK2 is like MK1 but way more boring. They divided the game into two protagonists but all that did was make everything slower and duller. It doesn't have any significantimprovements over the original game for the most part.

So play MK1 if you're in the mood for something light and fluffy, don't bother with MK2. A caveat is don't bother with MK1's PSP port because it is a pile of trash.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 18, 2013

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar

Im_Special posted:

If you didn't know these are much more action based then typical Megaten games, closer in basic gameplay to the Tales of series really. Ie: combat is in a small arena, you run your guy around it and push x to hit monsters with your sword. You can summon a single demon buddy to help out, cast spells, or just distract your enemies. Capture demons in combat, take them to the lab to fuse them, run around and fight bigger badder monsters. The first was kinda bland, and felt like a simplistic grind, although there is plenty of crazy Megami Tensei story stuff towards the end if that's your thing. The second game refines and expands the gameplay, and I enjoyed it more. Outside of the characters, I don't recall any significant story connections between the two, so I think you'll be safe skipping to the second if you want.

quote:

Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis
Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy

I've only played the first, and I did not like it, but I suppose I understand the appeal here. The story sets itself up as a jRPG Harry Potter, then dissapears almost entirely in favor of the gameplay. Said gameplay consists of going into the overworld, smash things and monsters to collect raw materials, then return to your base and craft materials into more stuff. The driving force of the game is crafting, even your character stats are developed by crafting specific items. It seemed neat for the first couple hours, but lost my interest soon after.

Also, Wild Arms 3 is your best bet, and I'm not sure why ACF gets such a bad rap. I liked it. :colbert:

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Im_Special posted:

So I'm looking for another project to tackle, aka play through some rather large RPG series of games that I've never heard of, or are just highly underrated gem's. I'm wondering if any of you guys have played and can vouch for some of these games, any feedback from your experiences are welcomed.

Wild Arms 3
Wild Arms 4
Wild Arms 5

Wild Arms 3 is nothing too special mechanically, bringing a lot of the later 2 games. ARMs are now your primary weapons and there's an upgrade mechanic that goes along with it using items that you find somewhat rarely.

I'd say it's more notable features being it's atmosphere, and it's the one game in the series to really embrace the Wild West aspect of it's setting. It also has a dumb villain they introduce at the 11th hour with very little foreshadowing in an attempt to pad out the game for it's terrible ending.

Wild Arms 4, from a gameplay perspective, is pretty good, if a little too easy to break. It introduces the HEX system, which has battles take place on a hexagonal grid, with actions affecting everyone inside the hexes targeted rather than the enemies themselves. It also has a lot of boss battles that want you to play around with the battlefield to find the optimal solution. You can also affect allies character growth by giving trading in some max HP to have more points to plug into things, if I remember right.

Exploration is also pretty unique for the series, focusing a lot on 2-D platforming style areas, and you pick up items to solve puzzles instead of having your usual tools.

Too bad the plot is something you really need to slog through, and Jude Maverick has to be one of the most unlikable protagonists to grace an RPG. It does have some ridiculously over the top moments you can laugh at, but that's about it.

Wild Arms 5 is pretty much a semi-enhanced version of 4 from a battle mechanics perspective. Arenas are no longer guaranteed to be a straight hexagon though, which adds a little variety. Exploration is back to 3-D dungeon, and now you have bullets you can shoot that do different things instead of the tools from the 1, 2 and 3. The plot can get pretty stupid, but it's much less aggressively stupid than 4. It's got the most callbacks to the previous games, with one of it's biggest ones being psudeo-cameos from the characters in previous games along with outfits of some of them being the best armors in the game.

Can't say a whole lot about Alter Code F, but if you have a PSP, I'd recommend checking out Wild Arms XF. It's a hex-grid based strategy RPG with a class system that really wants you to play around with the abilities of said classes. It's got a bit of a slow start, and can get very gimmicky with it's story battles at times, but I still say it's a game worth playing if you like SPRGs.

quote:

No clue about these, they are more Shin Megami Tensei games so I kinda know what to expect, I've played the Persona's games and Nocturne but have yet to play the Digital Devil Saga games, the ones I have played I must admit I'm not too particularly fond of so I'm a little hesitant, are these games best played together, is the story connected between them? Can I get away with just playing Devil Summoner 2 the newer better reviewed one?

There's a few callbacks to Soulless Army in Abaddon, but nothing that you really need in order to really fully enjoy Abaddon. I'd only recommend Soulless Army if your a completionist and want to play all the games in the series, since Abaddon is what Soulless Army should have been from a gameplay perspective.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I heard Devil Summoner 1 was mediocre at best and DS2 was better in almost every way. I played through a decent chunk of 2, and thought it was pretty good. It might be one of those series where you just skip the first game. You'll miss some back story, but from what I saw, the plots of the two weren't directly interlinked.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, like ImpAtom said, if you're gonna play the Mana Khemia series, it's better to just stick with the first one. The second is mechanically sound and has some interesting characters, but most of the cast are some of The Worst People Ever (Lily, Et, Ulrika, and Enna especially). It doesn't have the same interesting charm to it that the first game had, which is kind of a shame because the gameplay is still great.

And yeah, the PSP port is really poo poo and not worth getting. The framerate chugs like a motherfucker, and if you have a Vita, you can't install the game, meaning you don't get voices in battle, which sucks.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

ImpAtom posted:

As far as Mana Kehmia goes:

MK1 is a fun enough game. It's basically Anime Harry Potter. The combat system is pretty interesting and the alchemy is fun. The plot is generic JRPG school goofiness. MK2 is like MK1 but way more boring. They divided the game into two protagonists but all that did was make everything slower and duller. It doesn't have any significantimprovements over the original game for the most part.

So play MK1 if you're in the mood for something light and fluffy, don't bother with MK2. A caveat is don't bother with MK1's PSP port because it is a pile of trash.

MK2 refines the game to an almost literal science, but the plot/characters/etc are a million times more stereotypical and trope-y. It's pretty much unbearable, so if you like the gameplay you'll have to deal with that.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

You know what I think would be cool? A JRPG designed for speed running. Instead of mechanical memorization like most games, speedrunning an RPG would be more about doing on the fly analysis. Should you stop by a secret dungeon for a powerful weapon? Is it worth it to risk fighting a boss underleveled to shave time, or should you safely grind and not risk wiping? I can imagine that it would have a lot of branched paths, optional content, and no set-in-stone dungeon orders.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

dis astranagant posted:

I recall 3 being pretty fun but I haven't played it since 05ish so I couldn't tell you any details.

3 is a super enjoyable game. It isn't too complex and its "cheese" ability is obtainable through normal play (the formula for it being level*1000 damage), meaning its superbosses are actually a feasible thing if you find out you're having enough fun to want to take them on (which is really likely, WA3 is really good). Unlike 2 and ACF, which both require ridiculous amounts of knowledge of the internal workings of the combat system's math, or 1, which requires you to be at such a high level that you wouldn't get any benefit from the equipment the superbosses drop.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 18, 2013

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Philip Rivers posted:

You know what I think would be cool? A JRPG designed for speed running. Instead of mechanical memorization like most games, speedrunning an RPG would be more about doing on the fly analysis. Should you stop by a secret dungeon for a powerful weapon? Is it worth it to risk fighting a boss underleveled to shave time, or should you safely grind and not risk wiping? I can imagine that it would have a lot of branched paths, optional content, and no set-in-stone dungeon orders.

If you haven't played 'Half-Minute Hero' it's kind of like this, only more a puzzle game where you have to work out the optimal way to level up to beat the boss within the time limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

S-Alpha posted:

The .hack// games are quite good

I don't know why you have to lie to the guy.

The original .hack series is pure dog poo poo. I started it up and was impressed by the fake MMO experience they had built and was already planning on telling everyone who would listen how cool the game was, but then the actual gameplay started. Incredibly slow "action" RPG gameplay, with the insulting addition of text menus you have to pull up any time you want to do a special move. The randomly generated dungeons/fields are ugly, repetitive, and boring.

The second series, .hack//G.U., is a nice improvement. The battle system is still a joke compared to basically any other action-oriented game, but it's better than the original.