Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Splorange posted:

Hey now, it was totally consensual, unlike the Djinn enforced coupling with a narcissist egomaniac.

I’m not aware of any Djinn Enforced Couplings in either the books or the games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Splorange posted:

Hey now, it was totally consensual, unlike the Djinn enforced coupling with a narcissist egomaniac.

She literally catfishes and gaslights Geralt by pretending his fragmented memories of Yen were of her. How is that consensual??

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

I’m not aware of any Djinn Enforced Couplings in either the books or the games.

I my save, it's always going to be kick the djinn to the curb and leave Yen to sulk on the mountain top. gently caress destiny. Never rub a lamp.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

She literally catfishes and gaslights Geralt by pretending his fragmented memories of Yen were of her. How is that consensual??

That didn't happen because I went books -> Witcher 3. Everything else is someone's janky fever dream :colbert:

Though I have warm feelings about the Gin enforced coupling with Shani - which is probably the most healthy/normal sexual relationship Geralt has with a woman.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Ainsley McTree posted:

The insult duel with "Mancomb" was my favorite personally
I've mentioned this in the thread before, but Mancomb's name is a double Monkey Island reference. Obviously, it's a play on Guybrush, but "Mancomb Seepgood" is also one of the first NPCs you meet in The Secret of Monkey Island. He makes fun of Guybrush's stupid name.

Then there's the rhyming insults from The Curse of Monkey Island, of course, although your insults are only supposed to rhyme at sea. I guess they never mentioned a rule against using rhyming insults on land.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Eh? I just played all three games and I don't recall anything like this. Sure she doesn't really mention Yen unless prompted, but neither does anyone else so it's a bit of a stretch to make her out to be some kind of predator.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I played all three games right through and then read all the books, so I picked Triss as game three doesn't really do a good job of making Yen look anything other than a total nightmare (and while she is destroying people's treasured sacred groves and torturing dead people etc Triss is rescuing refugees)

If I had read the books first I would have been way way more likely to go with Yen, as they contextualise everything about their relationship a lot better

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I read the books and the context doesn't make their relationship any less terrible

the opposite, now that i think about it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ouroboros posted:

Eh? I just played all three games and I don't recall anything like this. Sure she doesn't really mention Yen unless prompted, but neither does anyone else so it's a bit of a stretch to make her out to be some kind of predator.

it's exactly what she is, and her actions in W3 are strongly implied to be an act of contrition for taking advantage of geralt in that way (and also for accidentally setting off/accelerating the mage pogroms in the second game)

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Ouroboros posted:

Geralt turns up to Kaer Morhen amnesiac, but with the knowledge that he's looking for a sorceress that he loves and Triss goes, 'Hey isn't that wild? I'm a sorceress,' knowing full well that he's looking for Yen. Then in the second game she uses the Rose of Rememberance as a magical roofie, you even get a 10% magic resistance trait if you turn down the sex. Witcher 3 even makes it explicit that your relationship with Triss is not loving when you find the rose of rememberance that she kept and it's wilted.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Plus doesn't Triss explicitly say she took advantage of Geralt in one of the early Novigrad quests?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Geralt: Someone's been taking advantage of me?

Triss: I did :smug:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Also, also Yen animating a corpse and destroying an immortal-werewolf infested garden that the village was only using as an executioner's block anyway in order to find her alive adoptive daughter isn't toxic in the slightest, that's queen poo poo. Plus Triss never gets into a pun-battle with you so she automatically loses.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Geralt turns up to Kaer Morhen amnesiac, but with the knowledge that he's looking for a sorceress that he loves and Triss goes, 'Hey isn't that wild? I'm a sorceress,' knowing full well that he's looking for Yen. Then in the second game she uses the Rose of Rememberance as a magical roofie, you even get a 10% magic resistance trait if you turn down the sex. Witcher 3 even makes it explicit that your relationship with Triss is not loving when you find the rose of rememberance that she kept and it's wilted.
Right. When I played Witcher 1 I actually had no idea about Yennifer and thought Triss was the sorceress he once loved and the slight weirdness between the two was more about how a relationship can survive when one person remembers everything and the other is basically approaching it fresh, except with the knowledge that they should/did once love the other.

By the time W2 came around I knew about Yen but I'm not sure that W2 even made it that clear.

Triss absolutely lied to Geralt repeatedly about the nature of their pre-amnesia relationship in order to have a relationship with him.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Ravenfood posted:

Right. When I played Witcher 1 I actually had no idea about Yennifer and thought Triss was the sorceress he once loved and the slight weirdness between the two was more about how a relationship can survive when one person remembers everything and the other is basically approaching it fresh, except with the knowledge that they should/did once love the other.

By the time W2 came around I knew about Yen but I'm not sure that W2 even made it that clear.

Triss absolutely lied to Geralt repeatedly about the nature of their pre-amnesia relationship in order to have a relationship with him.

Triss is also insanely hot, though, so it’s a real ethical conundrum from my standpoint roleplaying as Geralt.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Didn't they put Triss in Playboy? Like around Witcher 2 release? What a strange time.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Yes, and they still have it as an optional download on GOG. lol

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

lmao

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Triss almost haphazardly killed Geralt and Lambert if Lambert hadn't noticed her firebombing and cast a quen bubble at the last possible second.

Yen ported in and rescued Geralt from being mauled by a dozen frosty dogs after he killed Eredin.

Who's the healthier pick here, I wonder.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yen also throws Geralt three hundred feet in the air if you romance Triss in 3.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

incorrect. she drops him three hundred feet in the air. no upward or lateral propulsion is involved

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

that's queen poo poo.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Doesn't she only throw Geralt 300 feet in the air if he's a huge piece of poo poo that keeps needling her about being upset that he continued loving her best friend after he got his memory back and then tries to justify it as part of his memory loss?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wouldn't you?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
No, I don't like her hair or clothes in 3. I always play with a mod that gives her Anarietta's hair.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Doesn't she only throw Geralt 300 feet in the air if he's a huge piece of poo poo that keeps needling her about being upset that he continued loving her best friend after he got his memory back and then tries to justify it as part of his memory loss?

needling no, justifying yes. if he doesn’t drop the subject then she drops him

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
I think the Yen thing might have worked better in Witcher 3 if their first meeting didn't seem so incredibly frosty. It gets built up through the whole prologue as Geralt searching for the love of his life, then she shows up and they both act like awkward exes who don't really want anything to do with each other but are forced to make pleasantries.

Also with Triss in Witcher 1, you can read it that way but it's certainly not the way the game presents it. I think a lot of the problem here is she clearly is just a Yennefer stand-in in that game, her character is dramatically different to how it is in Witchers 2 and 3 and no one else breathes a word about Yen or Ciri for practically the whole game. It feels like they should really have retconned it, but instead they double down by making Geralt explicitly in a relationship with Triss at the start of 2 even if you weren't in your imported save from 1. The way it plays out technically Triss is pretty skeevy, but it's not explicitly played like that and it's hard to tell if what happened in the first 2 games is really canonical or not because of how dramatically they changed her character and the conspicuous absence of Yen and Ciri. Like if it was such a big deal you would think Dandelion or someone would take Geralt aside and have a word no?

And then of course there's the fact that Yen just kinda sucks, and pretty much treats people as beneath her the whole game. Eskel and Lambert are right about her dammit!

Ouroboros fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 30, 2023

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Ouroboros posted:

Like if it was such a big deal you would think Dandelion or someone would take Geralt aside and have a word no?

And then of course there's the fact that Yen just kinda sucks, and pretty much treats people as beneath her the whole game.

She was right to. You answered your own question, no one mentioned her and looked out for Geralt's best interests because they're petty and don't like Yen and would rather Geralt have hooked up with Triss. They are beneath her contempt.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

She was right to. You answered your own question, no one mentioned her and looked out for Geralt's best interests because they're petty and don't like Yen and would rather Geralt have hooked up with Triss. They are beneath her contempt.

This is an incredible stretch lol. What about Letho and co, what did they do to deserve her contempt?

Ouroboros fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 30, 2023

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Ouroboros posted:

Like if it was such a big deal you would think Dandelion or someone would take Geralt aside and have a word no?

That's making a lot of assumptions. How much does Dandelion even know about the relationship Geralt and Triss had? Dandelion was around in the first game, but the relationship might have started between 1 and 2 depending on your choices (though W3 does decide that Thaler living is canon). Then Triss is kidnapped when Geralt next runs into him, and then they break up. In the period where we know Geralt and Triss were together, the only major character I can think of who was there is Foltest, and he's dead (and wouldn't know the history here anyway). And honestly I'm not sure I'd want to know Dandelion's opinion on the matter, given his relationships with women.

Ouroboros posted:

This is an incredible stretch lol. What about Letho and co, what did they do to deserve her contempt?

Who knows? We never hear Yennefer's side of that story, I don't think. Plus being stuck with a bunch of strangers when you don't remember anything probably wouldn't make anyone be on their best behavior.

Also you don't have to pick either Triss or Yen. If you don't like Yen and want to pretend their relationship was just because of the djinn (doesn't really make sense, but the whole quest exists to give you that option), you can just stay single. Even aside from taking advantage of the amnesia and the elven bath house mind control, some of the dialogue if you get together with Triss really makes the relationship look like it's going to be a trashfire. Thinking mostly of the scrying scene and how Triss pretty obviously wants different things from Geralt, but is also a doormat (possibly out of guilt), and the conversation with Ciri where Geralt has nothing substantial to say about the relationship, and just sounds like a teenager. Though that last part is typical of him, to be fair.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Ouroboros posted:

When does she even show contempt for Letho?

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

That's definitely worse than the tripe I imagined in my head. I'll just keep my head canon where Triss is cool and Yen is just exhausting to be around.

Though obviously Shani is the correct choice you can't make.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

When does she even show contempt for Letho?

Letho ditches her because of how unbearable she is despite his massively going out of his way to help a stranger out of obligation to Geralt for saving his life, its all in the big Loc Muinne convo at the end of 2. True we don't get her side of the story, but I'd counter by saying literally every single time we do see an interaction between Yen and another character she is being the absolute worst, for example Ermion, villagers in Skellige, everyone at Kaer Morhen, etc etc etc. You can come up with post facto explanations to try and mitigate some of them, but when you look at the pattern occam's razor tells you the problem is with her.

Also I'm just playing 3 again and will probably see what the Triss side looks like, I just got to Novigrad and the scene where she admits to taking advantage of Geralt. Tellingly Geralt's reply indicates that is emphatically not how he saw things, and he expresses surprise at her framing it like that.

Splorange posted:

Though obviously Shani is the correct choice you can't make.

This is probably true but I have some sort of brain problem where I get incredibly distracted by voice acting where the actor is trying to put on an accent but I can hear their native accent coming through underneath, so I found Shani incredibly grating lol (in Witcher 3). Same with Letho and Guillaume in B&W. Actually all the Toussaint accents kind of bothered me because they seemed to be a weird mishmash that I couldn't place. The duchess sounded almost Spanish, some sounded German, some (kinda) French, and Guillaume who was inexplicably Irish.

Ouroboros fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jul 30, 2023

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Ouroboros posted:

This is probably true but I have some sort of brain problem where I get incredibly distracted by voice acting where the actor is trying to put on an accent but I can hear their native accent coming through underneath, so I found Shani incredibly grating lol (in Witcher 3). Same with Letho and Guillaume in B&W.

Yeah, I have that happen with other stuff, it's worse when the underlying accent is from close to home.

e: I imagine doing a consistent accent as an actor is probably really hard if you're doing takes and especially if they are spaced out over time and there's no time alotted for polishing that stuff. It is impossible for me to maintain an accent unless I'm thinking in it.

Splorange fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jul 30, 2023

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
After the latest patch, how does the next-gen update perform on modern systems now?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Ouroboros posted:

Also I'm just playing 3 again and will probably see what the Triss side looks like, I just got to Novigrad and the scene where she admits to taking advantage of Geralt. Tellingly Geralt's reply indicates that is emphatically not how he saw things, and he expresses surprise at her framing it like that.

Yeah, it's telling of Geralt being a himbo. Also Geralt probably doesn't realize she was using magic on him.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Node posted:

After the latest patch, how does the next-gen update perform on modern systems now?

works on my machine. I'm running mostly max with ray tracing on but set to performance, and none of the sub ray tracing options on. Runs solidly at 75 fps. I've noticed a few hitches, either because novigrad big or because maybe game performance degrades over time in a long session. 6800XT is my gpu if that helps you baseline what you can expect.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
The writing of Triss is massively inconsistent from game to game and I think it's fair to say that in W1 Triss is nothing more than a stand-in for Yen but the writers didn't want to do Yen for a few different reasons. Triss in W2 is barely a character and spends most of her time as a little wooden statue (I'm going on the record that W2 is by far the worst game of the series.)

I get people picking Triss over Yen in W3, even if they are obviously and objectively wrong. But the hate people have for Yen is pathological. She's absolutely great, everything she does is completely justified and none of you would bat an eye at it if it was Geralt doing those things. Big hard choices with no good outcomes is the bread & butter of the series, and Yen is making those big hard choices constantly and some of y'all think she's a monster for it. Look inward.

Shani is not the best choice because she's a normal person with a more or less normal life, she's way too good for Geralt and there's a 0% chance that a long-term thing would ever work out between them.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I reckon Shani and Corvo Bianco man of leisure Geralt would go together quite nicely. She does have a thing for wine after all.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Node posted:

If you mean consoles, ray tracing mode works but still runs like rear end @ 30 fps, but with inconsistent frame pacing so it doesn't feel particularly smooth.

That said, performance mode runs very well (pretty much a silky locked 60 fps) and is a marginal downgrade in terms of fidelity from RT mode (actually better in some instances where the RT reflections aren't the best).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Gaius Marius posted:

Yen makes more sense once you read the novels, you would've done well to pick Triss though given she is objectively the superior option.

Weird how that guy liked Triss, wanted Triss, yet went with Yen instead. Almost like it was meant to be and even the fates cannot keep them apart...