Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Grand Fromage posted:

son of a btich

Where do they do stamps outside East Asia? I thought stamp officialness was a Chinese thing that spread around over here.

Well it's a civil engineering thing on all drawings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Central/Eastern Europe is big on stamps. I don't know about Africa and South America and the Middle East.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
In North America, or at least Canada, the all-important school's stamp is effectively replaced by "THE SEAL" which is basically a fancy rear end sticker on letterhead usually embossed somehow.

But yeah I don't get this obsession with officialdom - usually it's pretty drat easy to check if something is official with a quick phone call or google search, but no, everyone has to pretend we're living in the 1800s.

Is there an academic source on the stamp-fixation in east asian culture? I'd love to understand more about it.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Woo. Got my VISA. Now I just have to avoid all of the drat plane crash horror stories.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is there another one that I don't know about? Because as far as I know there was a plane crash like 5 months ago and then another one got shot down. Don't fly over any excitable Russian Ukrainian SAM sites and you should be fine.

Ouagadougou!!! :argh:

Taiwan?

Man this is getting a bit out of hand.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 24, 2014

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
A crappy little one crashed in Taiwan yesterday and now another has gone missing over the Sahara.

it is a good time to fly

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think it's no longer over the Sahara, if you know what I mean.

It crashed and a lot of people died.)

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I'm grounded for three weeks of visa processing and actually feeling pretty good about that.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Is there another one that I don't know about? Because as far as I know there was a plane crash like 5 months ago and then another one got shot down. Don't fly over any excitable Russian Ukrainian SAM sites and you should be fine.

Ouagadougou!!! :argh:

Taiwan?

Man this is getting a bit out of hand.

Two Malaysian flights, the one Taiwan flight, and now an Air France (???) one has up and disappeared into the African wilderness.

I fly to JFK in a week and then Pudong in two months.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Don't worry they probably used up all the bad luck.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I'm flying to Chicago next week and my girlfriend is flying Beijing to Chicago in two weeks :ohdear:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Fortunately, I am already dead.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Did I nuke you? :ohdear:

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Jeoh posted:

Fortunately, I am already dead.

WE are the walking dead!

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Two Malaysian flights, the one Taiwan flight, and now an Air France (???) one has up and disappeared into the African wilderness.

I fly to JFK in a week and then Pudong in two months.

At least if you do crash and don't die, all that DayZ experience will prepare you for surviving in China.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Woo. Got my VISA. Now I just have to avoid all of the drat plane crash horror stories.

Welcome welcome welcome to this amazing country full of 5000 years of history! China group is pretty strong for 3 years but welcome! This is the more "serious thread" about jobs, living questions, traveling, etc...

Then there's the lan thread where it's poo poo on dick jokes (and vent). We scared one guy away, hopefully we won't scare you guys too!

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
If you want to sue your boss, post here.

If you want to quit your job, post here.

If you want to tell us about how your poop is sick, or that you are gay (we are all very gay) post it in the LAN thread.

That's pretty much how I see it. There's a flowchart somewhere explaining this, I think.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Lady Galaga posted:

At least if you do crash and don't die, all that DayZ experience will prepare you for surviving in China.

Shoot on site and don't trust anyone who says they are friendly?

Which is the LAN thread? I got this one, street making GBS threads, and the language thread bookmarked.

ed

Thanks

VVV

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 25, 2014

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
That would be the thread in the LAN forum.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
GOON MEET BBQ TOMORROW

TIME: 1PM

We are going to some god forsaken villager's house (lurker goon). So logistics will be slightly complicated. Food wise I should be ok. No requests, I'm a bit burnt on herding everything.

Contact: wechat, forums, or call me nine four three three two seven eight eight

Goon roll call:

1. GUEST BOB - VIP
  2. lurker goon
  3. caberham
  4. lady galaga
  5. simple fish
  6. his waifu
  7. ice aim
  8. his waifu
  9. bloodnose
  10. his friend
  11. burning daeth
  12. meramjert
  13. pedro
  14. rental sting
  15. :toxx: AND A WHOLE BUNCH OF FLAKY REDDITORS (not my decision) :toxx:

Goons who will be missed

1. Beefeater
2. Cool Lawyer goon
3. Henan crew
4. Wonton (hehehehehehehe :henget:)
5. RocknRoll, Blinky and Fear, Dilber, and all the goons gone from China.
6. PRO PRC LAO WAI
7. Lurkers

gently caress it, we got 12-14 guys already. I'm tired of fishing out the lurkers. I got a lot of chicken to marinate. But will be fun

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

caberham posted:

:toxx: AND A WHOLE BUNCH OF FLAKY REDDITORS (not my decision) :toxx:

Does that mean there will be at least double the amount of fedoras and jorts at this meet?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
So if I'm in Chengdu this August (with Eifert so Caberham better come), what other city is a good train ride away? Was looking at Kunming because Yunnan :glomp:. Going to try and buy a ticket today?

Anyone use Hotspot shield in China on the phone?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Hey guys, I'm taking a trip to the Guilin area and then around the Yunnan province for a few weeks soon, and I've got some questions about cellular data.

The first is whether data service in those areas likely to be good enough to justify buying a prepaid SIM while I'm there? Second, I told I'll need some sort of VPN to access stuff like google, do you have any recommendations one to use on an iPhone?

Any info is much appreciated. And actually, any suggestions on those regions in general is cool too, if anyone is aware of some absolute must-see sights or activities.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Prepaid is dirt cheap and those areas aren't really that rural.

Vpn I can't tell you. Try host vpn free trial 2 cents

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Before I book these tickets, what is the cab to and from the airport like in Chengdu? I'd be arriving at midnight and flight leaves at 830am.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Do you know where you're staying? It's hard to answer that question without that information.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

DontAskKant posted:

So if I'm in Chengdu this August (with Eifert so Caberham better come), what other city is a good train ride away? Was looking at Kunming because Yunnan :glomp:. Going to try and buy a ticket today?

Anyone use Hotspot shield in China on the phone?

Kunming and Yunnan is OK. P much everywhere but Chongqing is pretty far from Chengdu, to be honest. Even Yunnan is a very long train ride. Lanzhou is a weird place that is pretty neat, can you could go way far out to like Dunhuang or Qinghai Hu via train.

Not idea on hotspot shield!

Bugblatter posted:

Hey guys, I'm taking a trip to the Guilin area and then around the Yunnan province for a few weeks soon, and I've got some questions about cellular data.

The first is whether data service in those areas likely to be good enough to justify buying a prepaid SIM while I'm there? Second, I told I'll need some sort of VPN to access stuff like google, do you have any recommendations one to use on an iPhone?

Any info is much appreciated. And actually, any suggestions on those regions in general is cool too, if anyone is aware of some absolute must-see sights or activities.

3G service here is very strange in that is is actually really reliable. Everything is pre-paid here, so you should just get a unicom SIM. I know they do 300mb of 3G for like 69rmb or something (11USD). It'll work almost anywhere.

Use Unicom because they use all the bands most providers in Europe/Rest of Asia/N. America use. The other providers are CDMA or use weird poo poo.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

DontAskKant posted:

Before I book these tickets, what is the cab to and from the airport like in Chengdu? I'd be arriving at midnight and flight leaves at 830am.

The Chengdu airport is ridiculously close to the city. If you're in Chengdu proper, IE anywhere inside 3rd ring road, the airport won't take more than an hour to get to since to make an 8:30 am flight you'll probably be heading there 5:30-6-ish and missing rush hour entirely.

It will probably be between 40 and 70rmb for a cab from the airport to the city.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Caber style best style.

830am flight, arrive airport 750am.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Magna Kaser posted:

The Chengdu airport is ridiculously close to the city. If you're in Chengdu proper, IE anywhere inside 3rd ring road, the airport won't take more than an hour to get to since to make an 8:30 am flight you'll probably be heading there 5:30-6-ish and missing rush hour entirely.

It will probably be between 40 and 70rmb for a cab from the airport to the city.

Thanks, oh man I forgot that in China an hour is ridiculously close. I remember it being a lot faster in Nanjing, but that city is smaller. Was a little concerned about price and language, but got it pretty quickly at 4 in the morning and did it without English so toot to my horn. Just... got comfortable in Korea and hear stories from China.

Unfortunately had to wait on buying tickets because of work bureaucracy, but i can now and trying to find how i want to spend my $500~ and my $240 visa. This is way more than expected, if EifertPosting wasn't going I'd probably bail.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

DontAskKant posted:

Thanks, oh man I forgot that in China an hour is ridiculously close. I remember it being a lot faster in Nanjing, but that city is smaller. Was a little concerned about price and language, but got it pretty quickly at 4 in the morning and did it without English so toot to my horn. Just... got comfortable in Korea and hear stories from China.

Unfortunately had to wait on buying tickets because of work bureaucracy, but i can now and trying to find how i want to spend my $500~ and my $240 visa. This is way more than expected, if EifertPosting wasn't going I'd probably bail.

Depending on where you are it can be a lot less. From where I live, near the city center, it's 30minutes or so. I meant an hour is about the longest it could ever conceivably take. If you stay at one of the many hostels in southern Chengdu it's closer to 20 minutes.

Compared to other places it is pretty close, though. Getting to Pudong airport from Puxi is like 1.5hour minimum. And when I lived in Hangzhou it took at least 2 hours to get to the Airport from the city.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jul 25, 2014

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Incheon to Qingdao arriving at 10 am Aug 15. Leaving at 2 and arriving in Chengdu at 3ish.

Leaving Chengdu on Aug 27 and leaving at 730am. Arriving in Shanghai at 10 and leaving at 6pm. It's not possible to see Qingdao I think, but Shanghai I'll be out for. Who wants to welcome me? :D

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

DontAskKant posted:

Incheon to Qingdao arriving at 10 am Aug 15. Leaving at 2 and arriving in Chengdu at 3ish.

Leaving Chengdu on Aug 27 and leaving at 730am. Arriving in Shanghai at 10 and leaving at 6pm. It's not possible to see Qingdao I think, but Shanghai I'll be out for. Who wants to welcome me? :D

Guess who's also in Shanghai that day. Let's get Uzbeki food.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Jeoh when are your times again?

Would like to have lunch on 27. but chances are slim :(

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

caberham posted:

Jeoh when are your times again?

Would like to have lunch on 27. but chances are slim :(

24 to 29

Come on Cabe, we can make it a kgooooonmeet. In Chinar!

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Jeoh posted:

24 to 29

Come on Cabe, we can make it a kgooooonmeet. In Chinar!

It's only fair. Korea invented China, after all.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey tupper when are you coming back, we got a big BBQ tomorrow. drat it, I keep on typing BBW. Let's catch up sometime in Dong Guan~~~

Hmm double out of town weekends? Going to be a bit tough

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
I'm in Vietnam until August 6th, dogg. With an eventual transfer down the pipe. But I'll most likely take trips back up the Dongguan to talk with the mothership, of course.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Oh my god this visa process is a nightmare. I'm not getting my invitation letter and application until July 30th, and I have to fly out on August 7th. I already exchanged the tickets once to move it back to that date because they were slow getting the visa application together. Since I live in Nebraska, I have to go directly through the embassy in DC.

How hosed am I? Will a courier be able to get it all done in time without costing me a fortune?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If you get your invitation letter, I would drive or fly to DC and go to the embassy personally. Is that your plan? They don't do same day processing anymore (as of October 2013, but this is subject to change at literally the whims of someone), but if you're there by like 10am you can get next day. If you get your invitation letter on the 30th, you can be in DC on the 31st or the 1st. You can have your Z-visa by the 2nd or the 3rd if everything goes smoothly. I don't know where the weekends are but you should be ok. The whole Nebraska being served by the DC embassy is the biggest loving joke, when we hired a guy from Bowling Green, Kentucky he was required to do everything through DC, and for some reason, so was a guy from Miami though that might have had to do with his personal address. I have no idea how this all works, and I'm not sure how strict they are about it. When I got my Z-visa in 2009, my permanent address was in Maine but I was living with my girlfriend in Madison, Wisconsin and I did it through Chicago and no one gave a poo poo.

Furthermore, I don't understand why some companies buy the plane tickets before they have the visa, every single time we hire someone we wait until they have the Z-visa in their possession and then immediately buy the person a ticket. Unless you had to buy the plane ticket yourself, in which case, that sucks.