Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dybael
Jul 11, 2017

Fedule posted:

He deserved so, so much better than what he got. May he find it, and may he love that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Greatest SSLPer there ever was.

Fedule posted:

He deserved so, so much better than what he got. May he find it, and may he love that poo poo.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
His Automata LP got me to play the game and that alone is worth a lot and of course that isn't even counting all the other lps of his I enjoyed. It sucks so much that this is the way he is going out.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
His Dirge of Cerberus LP was the peak of comedy for me at the time. Probably still is. I modelled my White Knight Chronicles LP of it in so many ways.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

God awful news. I think one of his was one of the last screenshot LPs I read.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

https://twitter.com/slowbeef/status/1764469042113372160?s=20

the plot thickens???

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Well, I came here to post a small eulogy for TDI to just say that he brought a lot of happiness to a lot of goons including my younger self and influenced a bunch of LPers on SA, and that I hope that he's been able to come to terms with everything in his life, and is able to enjoy his last days.

But it turns out there's some drama going on with TDI where Slowbeef accuses him of being a habitual liar and making up so many details of his life. He posted a 15 minute audio file on twitter and there's a bunch of screenshots going around including a twitter account from 5 years ago that seems to have been documenting a lot of this stuff. :stare:

https://x.com/slowbeef/status/1764469042113372160?s=20

https://twitter.com/HmImThinking

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
who in the world would fake quietly dying of cancer

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Well that's hell of a way to find out

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

His sense of humor and editing skills brought me a lot of amusement. Wherever he's going, I hope it's a good one.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I don't know, but I hope he's just a liar and not dying.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Acebuckeye13 posted:

given slowbeef's tweet and the twitter account from 2019 he was pointed at, the same sort of person who would fake rescuing kittens, being a mercenary, and having a daughter that also died

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

EasilyConfused posted:

I don't know, but I hope he's just a liar and not dying.

Well, look at it this way: either Id will soon be dead, or his reputation will be, so either way, fuckin :rip:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
:psyduck:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I trust Slowbeef 100% and this is... real rough to find out about. loving hell

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

😬😬

https://x.com/slowbeef/status/1764473961205629127?s=20

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

... I don't understand anything about this world or reality any more.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The thread title lives up to it's name yet again :buddy:

Anyway, congrats on probably not being dead or having cancer, Id!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I am electing to wish TDI well regardless of whatever circumstances he is in and not look any further into this weirdness.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Quicksilver6 posted:

His sense of humor and editing skills brought me a lot of amusement. Wherever he's going, I hope it's a good one.

i mean that's still all very true i guess

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Not gonna lie, this is some of the weirdest emotional whiplash I've experienced in a long time

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Cythereal posted:

I am electing to wish TDI well regardless of whatever circumstances he is in and not look any further into this weirdness.
:same:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I am not going to wish a guy who faked cancer multple times well, speaking as a person with several loved ones who actually suffered and died from it

glad he's alive, but gently caress him.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Arist posted:

gently caress

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Speedball posted:

The Dark Id was my very best friend for over seven years, and this sucks tremendously to hear. He would often go on about how he wanted Kissinger to die so he could say he outlived Kissinger, and now I never got the chance to tell him..... Crap. I love ya, man.

good news, you still have time

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

DoubleNegative posted:

gently caress, man. He really deserved so much better than life gave him. Thank you for the years and years of entertainment.

You know what? Thank you for the continued entertainment. This has been quite the ride. :rubby:

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
Not sure how to feel about this other than why the gently caress

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

flatluigi posted:

good news, you still have time

Bad news you may not actually know your friend.

Dybael
Jul 11, 2017
When I saw the Discussion and Drama thread had like forty new posts, I was mentally preparing popcorn for the extremely juicy drama that was no doubt within, and had to recalibrate for a conversation of a very different tone. Lesson learned: in the future, I will not get hyped for gossip until I see the Discussion and Drama thread has fifty new posts.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

I'm glad that TDI and his fake daughter are gonna live!

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Happy Landfill posted:

Not gonna lie, this is some of the weirdest emotional whiplash I've experienced in a long time

God, Right? And there weren't even any scams or anything connected that I can think of? Just pure, insane mythomania.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
So yeah like,

, no, I got nothing. I wondered, for a while, if I'd have something, when the time came, but no, still nothing.

I should note at this point that this is not the first time I have heard that Slowbeef suspected all this, though it is the first time I (and I think any of us) seeing that one twitter account, which, yeah, okay. To say I didn't know what to make of it would, technically, be the whole truth, but I don't think that really says it. The totality of things Id indicated about his life is wild if it's true and also wild if it's all a lie. The case against him was coherent, if circumstantial. Ultimately, I concluded that this was not going to be my bomb to drop. It sure as gently caress did not merit any action on the forums, Id having long since left at that point. Either this would blow up by way of someone more central to any of it than me, or we would learn of his death and I would briefly raise an eyebrow and then I'd run a "post ITT for an RIP TDI sixer" thread in LP and it would blow up later, or perhaps it wouldn't. We very nearly got both outcomes. I was gonna ask the admins to close LP for 24 hours in his memory, so he could get one last use of the close button. That's definitely not happening now.

Here is what I know with certainty to be true: On August 13th 2005, someone registered a Something Awful account called The Dark Id and then, between 2007 and 2020, posted, among other things, a series of instantly beloved and enduring LPs, attracting dedicated lively followings, spawning enduring memes, and introducing what has to be thousands of people to NieR and Drakengard years before NieR:Automata made it all cool. They have not posted since December 2022 (in this very thread, no less), and, probably never will again (though wouldn't it be something?). I will always remember their LPs.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Speedball posted:

The Dark Id was my very best friend for over seven years, and this sucks tremendously to hear. He would often go on about how he wanted Kissinger to die so he could say he outlived Kissinger, and now I never got the chance to tell him..... Crap. I love ya, man.

Did you ever notice him saying things that were uh less than true

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Fedule posted:

On August 13th 2005, someone registered a Something Awful account called The Dark Id and then, between 2007 and 2020, posted, among other things, a series of instantly beloved and enduring LPs, attracting dedicated lively followings, spawning enduring memes, and introducing what has to be thousands of people to NieR and Drakengard years before NieR:Automata made it all cool.

and, given the light shed on everything else, i should remind people that he once claimed that yoko taro personally thanked him for his LPs of those games and credited him for popularizing his games in north america and advertising them better than square enix ever did

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

sebmojo posted:

i mean that's still all very true i guess

Apparently moreso than I bargained for, yes!

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Weird rear end day

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

flatluigi posted:

and, given the light shed on everything else, i should remind people that he once claimed that yoko taro personally thanked him for his LPs of those games and credited him for popularizing his games in north america and advertising them better than square enix ever did

Now to be fair, Yoko Taro did actually signal boost his LPs after the Nier one. That is probably as far as it went though.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I hate everything about this :smith:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I think that, if any of it was a lie, I would actually prefer that all of it was a lie, because the idea that TDI's family is a complete fabrication sits a lot better with me than the idea that there are kernels of truth there and other people got unknowingly roped into this.