Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MSJ
May 17, 2010

raditts posted:

Judging by the first commercial I've seen for it just now, I can't wait for The Adventures of Some Guy, Featuring Wonder Woman.

Did they make a TV spot focused on Chris Pine? All the others I saw have always been centered on Diana herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

raditts posted:

Judging by the first commercial I've seen for it just now, I can't wait for The Adventures of Some Guy, Featuring Wonder Woman.

Uh excuse me, he has a name. It's Hal Rogers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Tars Tarkas posted:

High School Musical? Pah! What about High School Musical With Zombies???

http://www.tvguide.com/news/disney-channel-musical-movie-zombies/

Disney Channel version of iZombie doesn't seem like the worst idea ever, just focus on the smart ones who only eat the brains of people who are already dead.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

ruddiger posted:

Someone was photoshopping John Cho into action movie posters and it was cool as gently caress and I'd definitely go and see a John Cho led action movie.

:mmmhmm:

I don't know, London has Fallen featuring the loud, red-faced, largely incoherent and insane personification of American nationalism, savage, foul-mouthed, and desperately trying to convince himself and everyone else that he's both not lost it, and not in a gay relationship with the president was what made it loving perfect satire.

I know Butler's Scottish, by the way. That description was of the character, and having it be played by a very middle aged white man is what made it work as far as it did.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

London Has Fallen has a near-kiss that rivals most bollywood films.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Jackie Chan is a PMC from China.

Sylvester Stallone is an ex-Marine from USA.

A China-owned refinery is under attack in Iraq.

Budgeted at $80 million, the most expensive movie from China.

From the director of Act of Valor and Need for Speed.

Ex-Baghdad

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So, any impressions on King Arthur?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

A thing about capitalism is businesses don't actually respond that quickly to changes in the market. They hang on to received wisdom and are subject to all sorts of confirmation bias. If Wonder Woman performs at or over expectations it may or may not lead to more female-led tent poles, but if it underperforms at all it'll be "proof" that female superheroes don't sell.

Movies are especially unpredictable, so executives, especially those who come from other industries, try to lean on anything that seems like a hard and fast rule.

Captain Marvel will be proof that female superheroes can sell

All you need is a like-able cast of characters and actors that work well together

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So, any impressions on King Arthur?

I enjoyed it, even if it's not amazing or anything. The fantasy take on a Guy Ritchie street crime story is a lot of fun, and the sword and sorcery stuff, even if it's not as unique, is beautifully rendered. Charlie Hunnam is fine, better than he was in Pacific Rim, and he's helped by a strong supporting cast in his band of companions.

The biggest let down is the core story, which is a standard revenge tale that attempts to ignore the political aspects of a revolution, of the idea of a "born king," etc. For a movie that borrows so much structurally from Conan the Barbarian (the movie), it doesn't even have the level of philosophizing you'd find in a knock-off like Chronicles of Riddick.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Sir Kodiak posted:

No reason it has to.

Gross. You're gross, and what you have suggested is gross.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Sir Kodiak posted:

No reason it has to.

Side note: this and Michael Douglas in Ant Man got close enough that only a few times I noticed the digital work.

But the young Kurt Russell stuff in GotG 2 was beyond all of these. Reading up on it, it's more makeup and a similar looking young actor with only some digital effects to supplement it (there was compositing but two actors were involved, nothing was made from scratch).

But man, I was full on past the uncanny valley and into total belief there.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 12, 2017

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Young Michael Douglas in Ant Man was pretty good but Undead Peter Cushing looked like poo poo

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There's always going to be things that rub people wrong with cg faces. Young Kurt Russell in Guardians has old Kurt Russell's small old man teeth, which don't quite work with the proportions of the head, so he's got a big head Z'darism going in a couple shots, and as the technology progresses even more, ALL the Marvel movies' CG faces will look flawed and "slightly wrong" in a few years.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Someone please post some screenshots of young Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan from X-Men 3.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

It's also a more understandable choice when the older actor actually appears in the movie, since there will be that direct contrast. Ant-Man and Guardians 2 are more like the lil' Steve Rogers effect in First Avenger, where it allow you to more completely show this change in the character, than what they did with Cushing.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I love how action movies now solve the actors face problem by printing up super accurate latex masks of the actors.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Young Michael Douglas in Ant Man was pretty good but Undead Peter Cushing looked like poo poo

I agree that Undead Peter Cushing looked like poo poo, but I thought that the couple-second-long shot of Fake Carrie Fisher at the end worked excellently, and it's confused me since then to find that some others have the opposite opinion.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

the lil' Steve Rogers effect in First Avenger

I'm still pretty impressed by how well they pulled that off.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Young Kurt in GotG2 had a fatter face than young Kurt actually had and it made me giggle. Wasn't a big deal tho

e:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm still pretty impressed by how well they pulled that off.

Yeah that was really cool.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

21 Muns posted:

I agree that Undead Peter Cushing looked like poo poo, but I thought that the couple-second-long shot of Fake Carrie Fisher at the end worked excellently, and it's confused me since then to find that some others have the opposite opinion.

oh I thought that was even worse, at least Cushing's wrinkles helped somewhat obscure things, Young Carrie Fisher looked like a realdoll.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

8one6 posted:

I love how action movies now solve the actors face problem by printing up super accurate latex masks of the actors.

Oh Jesus, that's terrifying.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

8one6 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pQdaMKTmUw&t=10s

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Why don't they just give up and make all these movies full CG? Some of them are almost there anyway. Star Wars and comic books don't need live actors.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Gotta believe it's way more expensive to render a photorealistic Kurt Russel than to just bounce some light off the real one and catch it with a camera. And it still doesn't look as good.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

marshmallow creep posted:

Why don't they just give up and make all these movies full CG? Some of them are almost there anyway. Star Wars and comic books don't need live actors.

Since Disney is churning out Star Wars movies once a year until the end of history, I hope eventually we get a Star Wars movie that's entirely about droids trying to lead a revolution to end droid exploitation in the galactic workforce.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

Since Disney is churning out Star Wars movies once a year until the end of history, I hope eventually we get a Star Wars movie that's entirely about droids trying to lead a revolution to end droid exploitation in the galactic workforce.

Then Anakin's dream will be realized

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

As a VFX artist I should add that Tarkin isn't comparable to the de-aged actors found in Marvel films and Westworld. The latter involved a lot of compositing techniques.

Tarkin was 100% CGI and, for the those of us in the business, a pretty amazing achievement. Tarkin was created using the same techniques as Gollum, Caesar from the Planet of the Apes and King Louis from The Jungle Book (all three characters widely regarded as being examples of exceptional VFX). Essentially, a 3d model is created of the character. One or more modellers then take that model and sculpt facial expressions based on FACS (Facial Action Coding System) - the number of expressions can easily number 150+ and take an enormous amount of time and effort. It's then the job of the animators to, well, use these shapes and create a realistic performance. No, Andy Serkis isn't responsible for most of the final product. His performance is used as a very rough base for animators and modellers.

While Tarkin is an achievement as great as Gollum, Caesar and King Louis, it was always going to be met with a backlash. Humans are one of the few species to recognise other members of their species by face, so we can tell a CGI model from a real human from a mile away, hence why Caesar and King Louis are met with amazement, and Tarkin is met with disgust.

We're probably decades away from being able to simulate human facial muscles on a computer, so fully CGI characters will remain completely down to artistic interpretation and the limitation of humans.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

Then Anakin's dream will be realized

The droid revolutionary will think he is Darth Vader reincarnated in a droid body and scoff at Kylo Ren for focusing only on Vader's aesthetics and not an in-depth analysis of the his economic message. I like this idea more and more.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Someone please post some screenshots of young Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan from X-Men 3.

Remember at one point they were going to make a Magneto origin movie starring Ian McKellan using that technology.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

marshmallow creep posted:

Like, 90%-95% of everything you see in a Marvel and DC film is CGI. They might not be great films but they're keeping us employed!

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
CGI Tarkin was great. He simultaneously had all the acting chops of the real Peter Cushing, plus the twitchy, sweaty, porous veneer that makes him even more monstrous.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Did that eventually become First Class?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Maybe, I think Wolverine: Origins not doing well sorta kiboshed the solo films for a while.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The first one I think of for this is Tron Legacy

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hat Thoughts posted:

The first one I think of for this is Tron Legacy

That at least you could explain the weirdness away by the fact that the Grid wasn't good at resolution at the time CLU was rendered.

Sky Captain and Superman Returns had early CGI resurrection of dead actors, without the de-aging.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

That at least you could explain the weirdness away by the fact that the Grid wasn't good at resolution at the time CLU was rendered.

Yeah, though it doesn't explain the way Jeff Bridges looks at the beginning talking to his kid.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yeah, the Magneto: Nazi Hunter stuff came directly from the story that Lauren Shuler-Donner had developed during the production of Wolverine.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Quanta posted:

As a VFX artist I should add that Tarkin isn't comparable to the de-aged actors found in Marvel films and Westworld. The latter involved a lot of compositing techniques.

Tarkin was 100% CGI and, for the those of us in the business, a pretty amazing achievement. Tarkin was created using the same techniques as Gollum, Caesar from the Planet of the Apes and King Louis from The Jungle Book (all three characters widely regarded as being examples of exceptional VFX). Essentially, a 3d model is created of the character. One or more modellers then take that model and sculpt facial expressions based on FACS (Facial Action Coding System) - the number of expressions can easily number 150+ and take an enormous amount of time and effort. It's then the job of the animators to, well, use these shapes and create a realistic performance. No, Andy Serkis isn't responsible for most of the final product. His performance is used as a very rough base for animators and modellers.

While Tarkin is an achievement as great as Gollum, Caesar and King Louis, it was always going to be met with a backlash. Humans are one of the few species to recognise other members of their species by face, so we can tell a CGI model from a real human from a mile away, hence why Caesar and King Louis are met with amazement, and Tarkin is met with disgust.

We're probably decades away from being able to simulate human facial muscles on a computer, so fully CGI characters will remain completely down to artistic interpretation and the limitation of humans.

Thanks for the info!

I'm just curious why they didn't try to have tarkin mostly in shadow or something, both to hide the iffy effects and to make him more sinister. Malcom McDowell had some scenes in Tank Girl (it was probably a stand-in with dubbed lines) where his character was pacing in the dark and it worked fine for a villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

What movie is young Hopkins from?

• Locked thread