Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Ah, the ol' buy high sell low shuffle.

UA bought billions of stock at $69/share and then did an offering at like $25/share, so yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
My company email address is getting flooded with stuff from Charles Schwab encouraging me to participate in the employee stock purchase program. Seeing as the stock is now worth 20% of what it was when I started working here in 2014, I think I'm gonna pass on this exciting investment opportunity.

I'm also getting a ton of stuff from ID-90 encouraging me to go on a cruise, so I have no idea what they're smoking.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

The Slaughter posted:

Holy gently caress, even when I knew a yuug displacement bid was coming today, I didn’t expect just under 5000 pilots.

I am so hosed. At least I have to October 1st but this is like a bandaid being ripped off slowly. Godspeed goons, the pilot shortage sure didn’t last long.
I think I’m gonna have to start applying for jobs outside aviation sadly if nobody calls soon.

The Slaughter posted:

Unfortunately, United isn't huge on early retirements and haven't offered it yet. We'll see if any even get offered. As for the retirement situation, there are some but not as many as you'd think. 218 more this year, 420 next year, 420 the year after that, 498 the year after that. December 2025 still only gets us to 2016 retirements. When you just displaced 4500 pilots, wellllllllll...... we hit 4561 retirements in Dec 2028.
I'm thinking this is a 5 year furlough for me, but that depends on the recovery curve, what they decided to do with the max, if they decide to bring any 757s back into service or 767s as international recovers....

Not one for being calm in the face of the storm eh?

Whatever is gonna happen. Live beneath your means, try to keep your spouse count to under two but definitely under three and don't marry a Flight Attendant.

You have a 6 month lead time, make use of it. Most of the population would be thrilled to have that much of a heads up. Then, you have a well paying job to come back to.

This is a volatile industry. If you wan't something where you don't have to worry about job security, go apply to a government job.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 4, 2020

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
He is applying for government jobs and they're a poo poo show too.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Good thing there's a six month lead time!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Apply for some ISR companies like L3 and go fly over the badlands of the world. Apply to Customs and fly over the badlands of America!

I mean that semi sarcastically, both are always hiring and it’s what us military dudes that don’t want to sweat it in a regional do for some hours building.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
Are they really going to hire a furloughed guy from a major knowing he’s going to leave when he gets recalled? L3 maybe but idk about the government investing in a guy who’s not there long term.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I know training contracts are coming back (Ameriflight just started doing one again), but the CBP has historically had trouble getting pilots due to having to live in some pretty lovely places, so I doubt they have anything like that.

Plus, bailing on a government job for something in the private sector is really common, so I'm sure they're used to people getting out as soon as airlines hire again.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
From some fed friends, I've heard basically if you become an ASI and do it >5 years, if you take a recall they'll tell you thanks and come back anytime. If you're there less than 5 years, you probably burn that bridge.
The 6 month lead time is helpful, but still doesn't help with the fact there just aren't a lot of jobs out there right now and they've all suddenly received 9000 applications.
I'm not panicking as I have zero debt and live below my means, but this is definitely the suck.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Sorry you have feelings about your financial security.

:smuggo:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
A government job is something you consider bailing on in the US of A?

Here if the government is benevolent enough to hire you to do something you actually want to do, you loving do it and do it happily until meeting your requirements for a government pension and then you can do whatever the gently caress you like for the rest of your life.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

Here if the government is benevolent enough to hire you to do something you actually want to do, you loving do it and do it happily until meeting your requirements for a government pension and then you can do whatever the gently caress you like for the rest of your life.

What's it like being in a functioning country? Tell me the tales.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
This whole thing is rekindling my pipe dream of immigrating to Canada.

I still have my job here in the states and I think I’m going to be ok for a bit but I was just about to put in notice for 121 when this started. Like days away. Thank goodness I kept that close to the chest, I get anxiety thinking about what could have happened.

I know thoughts don’t do anything but I really do wish the best for all of you affected.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 5, 2020

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

e.pilot posted:

What's it like being in a functioning country? Tell me the tales.

Well, my largest frustration right now is that TC hasn't got back to me since April 20th with regards to my instructor rating upgrade, and given the whirling tornado of poo poo you've got going on with your governments south of the border, it honestly seems like a very, very small complaint by comparison.

There is some talk about how the emergency relief benefit is going to discourage people from going back to work, and I agree with that to a point, but the only issue with it is that, if you work, you lose some or all of the benefit, so the ideal solution (and where I hope we'll end up going) is just to give everyone money regardless of whether they're working normally, or on reduced hours, or not at all, and then sort out who picks up the tab through taxation down the road. There should be no situation in which you can be entitled to less money by choosing to work.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

PT6A posted:

In the US, federal government retirement is a hell of a lot better than private sector stuff, and the health insurance tends to be way cheaper as well.

The pay is never as good as it is in the private sector (it's certainly liveable if you're not somewhere like San Francisco), but it's a hell of a lot more stable than anything private, and you can usually avoid the "at will employment" crap that pervades a lot of the US.

My experience with the FAA has generally been decent (the individual employees are great, the organization is incompetent), and the FAA or NTSB is definitely my backup if furloughs get to the point where I'm looking for a job.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Customs is a decent gig if you’re going for federal retirement or want to be law enforcement. From what I’ve heard you get to fly drones, fixed wing, or rotary wing, or any combination of those three if you have the prior training. The downside is your first posting is either south Texas or Puerto Rico.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

I looked into it, especially the Investigations side where they investigate and seize aircraft that were used in drug smuggling/human trafficking. It seemed very interesting and rewarding but ultimately, the locations and family considerations ended that.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 5, 2020

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Bob A Feet posted:

The downside is your first posting is either south Texas or Puerto Rico.

Puerto Rico owns unless you are a baby who can’t stand being outside your comfort zone.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I love it when I get to go to PR. The hiking is incredible.

Edit: can I go work for the gubmint in PR without a degree?

Rolo fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 5, 2020

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

Puerto Rico owns unless you are a baby who can’t stand being outside your comfort zone.

I'm always amazed how many pilots complain about traveling and having to deal with foreign places, like why are you a pilot then?

I'm also always amazed at a boomer captain's ability to know where every single Irish pub is.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

e.pilot posted:

I'm always amazed how many pilots complain about traveling and having to deal with foreign places, like why are you a pilot then?

I'm also always amazed at a boomer captain's ability to know where every single Irish pub is.

Um don't we pilots complain about everything? Wouldn't be a proper 4 day if someone didn't bitch about the hotel or how Town USA seems to be extra lovely tonight :haw:

Also, some of us aren't that old, it's an ability picked up with our liver skills learned outside of ground school and leadership training!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Animal posted:

Agreed. I fell in love with it when we did some hurricane relief work down there a few years ago. Me and my wife agreed that we’d try it out if I go that route here in a few years.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Puerto Rico is good as hell and then some. (e- I had considered time-building at one of the cargo carriers down there before I threw in the towel on flying; one of my classmates flew Shorts 360s out of SJU).

The R-ATP and the clusterfuck of conditions surrounding who can get it and when, especially when it comes to credits, is not, and gently caress every mental midget in the gubmint that fever dreamed this horseshit up. gently caress you, "Well, the student took an R-ATP class at another school which was approved but, because our program wasn't eligible at the time, we can't give them credit for that course if they transfer in" (plus 500 other possible scenarios). :ramsay:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 5, 2020

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

e.pilot posted:

Short international overnights suck. The flying is a bunch of busywork dealing with unfamiliar ATC procedures and pilots/controllers who have a limited grasp of english. Then you have the joys of dealing with customs both on the way in and the way out. All for the pleasure of spending 8 hours behind the door of another holiday inn like you would in some generic american city.

When you have time, and a willing crew, to go exploring with they're great. Some of my favorite excursions have been on long international overnights. Unless you're a bitter curmudgeon captain who sits in their hotel room fuming about english not being the first language on the room service menu.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

KodiakRS posted:

Short international overnights suck. The flying is a bunch of busywork dealing with unfamiliar ATC procedures and pilots/controllers who have a limited grasp of english. Then you have the joys of dealing with customs both on the way in and the way out. All for the pleasure of spending 8 hours behind the door of another holiday inn like you would in some generic american city.

When you have time, and a willing crew, to go exploring with they're great. Some of my favorite excursions have been on long international overnights. Unless you're a bitter curmudgeon captain who sits in their hotel room fuming about english not being the first language on the room service menu.

"gently caress me. What is Le Club Sandwich? They should print this in 'MERICAN!!"

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

KodiakRS posted:

The other pilot is important. We have one guy who is a guaranteed “slam and click” who has to have a hotel near American fast food chains. Doesn’t matter how crappy the hotel is, there must be a Taco Bell or McDonald’s within a mile. Even in Puerto Rico or The Bahamas, American fast food and hotel.

Another is the polar opposite. He likes to rent bicycles and tour a city while trying all the bars and restaurants. I can have fun on my own but I have an absolute blast when I get a trip with guy #2.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
It’s me, the pilot that brings his own bike on trips. :colbert:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
i know this thread has plenty of examples of it but i still can't imagine the person who becomes a professional pilot who doesn't actually like traveling and seeing new things. like talk about a failure of imagination.

are there actually people signing on to the majors crossing their fingers like "oh man, i hope i get the duluth-cleveland-nashville circuit, please don't stick me on a flight to the dominican republic"

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 7, 2020

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Its not new when youve been there 30 times. I like visiting new places, but at this point in my career i take the short, easy flights with proper sleep schedule layovers

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Dropped off airplane for G5’s gtn 650 and gtx 345 upgrade. I bet I get it back in a month.

Over under???

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

e.pilot posted:

It’s me, the pilot that brings his own bike on trips. :colbert:

Does it fly different with a Thule rack?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Captain Apollo posted:

Dropped off airplane for G5’s gtn 650 and gtx 345 upgrade. I bet I get it back in a month.

Over under???

over

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

Does it fly different with a Thule rack?

It doesn't even look like a bike :downs:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Company predicted staffing requirements in summer of 2021: 11,000 pilots
My current seniority number: Just under 15,000

Looks like I'll be drinking tonight.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

KodiakRS posted:

If it makes you feel better, I don't think they have any loving clue what 2021 is going to look like at this point. God knows I don't. There could be a vaccine or a cure or it could be far worse than anyone predicted. Frankly, no one knows what June looks like this year for sure, and that's less than a month away.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

KodiakRS posted:

Seniority numbers and pilots numbers on the vacancy aren't from the same list. Discrepencies include VPLOAs, Chief Pilots, LTD and management pilots. There's also ~900 retirements between now and the end of 2021. More VPLOAs are going to be offered, and every month that goes by makes more pilots eligible.

You can log on the union 3XP and look at the bottom number to see exactly where you are with the 11k number.

That being said, you're around 15k, always be contingency planning.

But so much can change between now and October 1st. My personal gauge is we'll be fine when Disney World is fine.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
So I shouldn’t get out of the military? Got it