Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Pakled posted:

I'm not sure that would be the perfect replacement title. Like, "consort" always implies some kind of romantic relationship but "first lady" is more broad and applies to situations like James Buchanan, who was never married so his niece served as First Lady.

It would be good it it were pronouncable like FLOTUS too, and that narrows things down considerably. I suppose we don't have to keep the "First" part though. What about RHOTUS? Right Hand of the United States

It's kinda :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

cult member at airport posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/793304310545342464

Imagine Trump wins PA and everyone freaks the gently caress out and then Texas goes blue
I see you anticipated the map I was preparing.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Does anyone have the poll that correlated distance of residence from place of birth with Trump support?

Here you go.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

It would be good it it were pronouncable like FLOTUS too, and that narrows things down considerably. I suppose we don't have to keep the "First" part though. What about RHOTUS? Right Hand of the United States

It's kinda :black101:

now we're discriminating against lefties!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My MSN feed's front page no longer has a Clinton E-Mails header on the feed.

Instead it has a Trump&Russia one. :getin:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I didn't even realize title was a contentious thing, I've always just assumed it would be "first gentleman" because nothing else makes any sense.

Though FGOTUS is horrible... horrible...

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

AriadneThread posted:

now we're discriminating against lefties!

LOTUS! That's actually way better.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Oh gently caress I can sense the great "best cheesesteak" debate on the horizon. Ducking out now.

It's Phil's in South Philly :colbert:

cult member at airport posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/793304310545342464

Imagine if Trump wins PA and everyone freaks the gently caress out and then Texas goes blue

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

I want this timeline.

That would actually suck rear end since PA has a Senate race and Texas does not.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pakled posted:

I'm not sure that would be the perfect replacement title. Like, "consort" always implies some kind of romantic relationship but "first lady" is more broad and applies to situations like James Buchanan, who was never married so his niece served as First Lady.

I think "First Gentleman" is the most directly equivalent to "Lady", but ideally we could just find a gender-neutral title and use that for everyone.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Just how badly could a transport strike affect the election?

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

That's an interesting question. If we were starting this country from scratch right here in 2016, how would we set up the ceremonial aspects of the executive branch? I've always assumed the whole First Lady thing was intended to make it clear to foreign monarchs that she was on the same social level as them. We can hate classism as much as we want but the dickishness of nobility is still something to factor into diplomacy.

What if the next President was widowed, or never even married? Would America fade into a footnote of history?

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.
First Hombre.

That reminds me, voted yesterday with some friends. +3 for Hillary in my overwhelmingly conservative rural county!

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I think "First Lord" would be fine.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Depends how good Clinton's GOTV really is.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

vyelkin posted:

Depends how good Clinton's GOTV really is.

And if that poll we just saw is an outlier.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
How dope would it be if Bill Clinton baked cookies on his first day as a gently caress you

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Ash1138 posted:

Eric Trump? More like Eugene Tooms.

I appreciate the reference, but I think he looks more like Odo.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Mel Mudkiper posted:

How dope would it be if Bill Clinton baked cookies on his first day as a gently caress you

I just want Bill to go 8 years without loving something up and embarrassing everyone.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Didn't he already challenge Melannia?

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Go full Westeros and have Bill be the Hand of the President

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007
Is Philly not dense enough for polling places to be in walking distance of the home?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Duscat posted:

What if the next President was widowed, or never even married? Would America fade into a footnote of history?

Like Pakled already said, historically a female relative of the President has taken on the role. Or in the case of President Shepherd, after his wife's passing I believe high-ranking female staffers rotated duties until his remarriage to that lobbyist.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think it would be great if Bill did some of the more ceremonial roles associated with the FLOTUS position. Would send a great message for boys and girls and it would be cute as hell :3:.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Night10194 posted:

I would be interested to see what happens because I cannot imagine a union would voluntarily gently caress up an election for the dems at the national and state level

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

bhsman posted:

I think "First Lord" would be fine.

First Gentleman would give the radio right such fits that Limbaugh would have a coronary on top of what ever Haitian prostitute he's paying this quarter

If there's ever been an indication that nothing matters it's the continued success of sex trafficking pill poppers like Limbaugh

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

VikingofRock posted:

Odo is a better person and a more realistic character than Trump's children, though

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sensible Thursday posted:

Is Philly not dense enough for polling places to be in walking distance of the home?

That's a pretty valid point actually

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Good that stuff is terrible.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Seriously though, a transit strike is pretty much a perfect test of GOTV. It would certainly depress turnout across the board (in places where polling places aren't walkable, anyway), but would disproportionately affect low-income people who don't drive to polling places. A competent field operation would start organizing asap, getting voters to carpool to polling places, getting volunteers to ferry people to voting places, hiring buses and minibuses and vans to drive voters for the entire day. A really great field operation would probably already be planning to sink extra money into Philadelphia to try and compensate, bringing in cars and buses from out of town ahead of time so you can make sure to still get all your voters to the polls (and to their jobs), and stepping up early voting drives to ease the load on election day. An incompetent field operation would say "gently caress it, they'll sort it out" and not change anything about what they were doing. If Philadelphia stood alone and Clinton's GOTV is as much better than Trump's as we've heard, if anything a transit strike could actually increase her victory as her GOTV operation still gets all her supporters to the polls but Trump's doesn't, leaving his low-income supporters at home on election day.

Unfortunately Philadelphia isn't a city-state and Clinton's GOTV can't be that impossibly perfect so it would inevitably mean reducing the number of Philadelphia votes and strengthening the rest of Pennsylvania, which is pretty deep red.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 1, 2016

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Sensible Thursday posted:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

That's a pretty valid point actually

Doesn't matter. People have to get to and from work. If their transit time is longer than usual, they will not make time to vote. It's a pretty scary situation imo.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I mean, obviously we dont take titles very seriously in america, but surely whatever a male husband of the president is called, slick willie still gets to be called "President" or at least "Former President" i would assume.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Nessus posted:

Odo is a better person and a more realistic character than Trump's children, though

Also I don't think he went around killing endangered animals for fun.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, hopefully it'll be resolved by election day.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Night10194 posted:

What the hell is happening in Texas?

I honestly think this might be one of the few real high points in this election - the voting turn out is absolutely crazy, and it feels good to be a part of that - I'd like to hope that's something all sides and parties and peoples at least agree on in America: vote, drat it.

This bryll-cremed Napoleon Dynamite makes me itch every time I see him

Armani fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 1, 2016

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It can depend a lot. Class is also heavily involved. Mestizos runs a pretty wide gamut that the paper bag test doesn't adequately quantify.

I get that, racial identity in post-colonial Latin America was a big part of my undergrad research, but even taking that into account I still can't see it reaching 85%. Like 60 ok, MAYBE 70, but 85? Not buying it.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

VikingofRock posted:

Odo is better at assuming a human form.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Why would they choose to strike at this time though

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/793248022251528192

Ted you're wearing that mask wrong it's supposed to cover up the hideous part of your face.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I get that, racial identity in post-colonial Latin America was a big part of my undergrad research, but even taking that into account I still can't see it reaching 85%. Like 60 ok, MAYBE 70, but 85? Not buying it.

MattDizzle just makes poo poo up to feel like he's getting one over all the non-klansmen in the thread. Put him on ignore and don't worry about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.

As a born and raised central PA alcoholic, good, gently caress that piss water.

• Locked thread