Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Tell me about NC Miatas.

Mainly, is the five speed transmission better than the six speed manual like I've been reading? Most of what I've seen is the six speed's ratios aren't well spaced and in the upper gears you see a minimal drop in RPMs between shifts. Also I read that the six speed is the only way to get a factory LSD...does this mean any NC with the six speed manual has a LSD or was it optional?

(Yes I'm thinking about buying a used NC in the somewhat near future...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iscariot
Oct 7, 2001
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7v7IoCoBvo

Sadness. :(

Didn't see any slack in the timing belt, but didn't think to check it for a damaged portion. Just ran it with the acc. belts pulled, didn't hear the pronounced slap but not 100% sure. Seeing as I snapped one of the water pump pulley bolts ~200 miles ago, wondering if I didn't tweak the waterpump shaft.

At least I can do a timing belt job in ~4 hours these days.

Also - if you blow a hose and start overheating, DON'T loving BABY IT HOME - as my brother attempted with my dad's miata a few months ago. Finally started tearing into it (blown hg, obviously) and managed to .. well..

When you need a 3ft breaker bar to remove a sparkplug, something is going to give.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Anybody else here running a short shifter? I just installed an ebay shifter ($35 shipped) along with a set of rebuild bushings/etc from Planet Miata. The feel is great but the throw is almost comically short. The jury is out on whether I'll go back to the stock length.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Really? A short shifter on miata? Are you trying to poor man S2K it up?

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
Short shifters have short shift throw? :monocle:

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Phone posted:

Really? A short shifter on miata? Are you trying to poor man S2K it up?

Well, given that the Kartboy shifter on my WRX was a shorter throw than my stock miata shifter, I wanted to tighten it up a little. Not sure where the S2000 reference is coming from...

Suniikaa posted:

Short shifters have short shift throw? :monocle:

Shocking, right? I was hoping perhaps maybe some of you folks had tried one.

Blaise fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 7, 2011

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The Miata's throw is short. The S2K's throw is laughably short.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Quick question: how well do high-mileage Miata's fare? One just popped up in my area for dirt cheap with around 170,000 miles on it. Obviously things are probably going to start going, but anything big?

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

Geoj posted:

Tell me about NC Miatas.

Mainly, is the five speed transmission better than the six speed manual like I've been reading? Most of what I've seen is the six speed's ratios aren't well spaced and in the upper gears you see a minimal drop in RPMs between shifts. Also I read that the six speed is the only way to get a factory LSD...does this mean any NC with the six speed manual has a LSD or was it optional?

(Yes I'm thinking about buying a used NC in the somewhat near future...)

I have a 6-speed and no LSD. If you're buying new, the ~$500 sports package give you LSD and suspension upgrade that is (i'm told) somewhat 'blah'. The top-end gearing change between the 5 and 6 is pretty small, but it is there. I think it's still worthwhile to have the 6 though, because it gives you more correct gearings at lower speeds and it does drop the top end down a bit at freeway speeds. Also, I bought a manual because I like to shift, so being called upon to do it a little extra over a 5 speed isn't exactly a down-side.

Blaise posted:

Anybody else here running a short shifter? I just installed an ebay shifter ($35 shipped) along with a set of rebuild bushings/etc from Planet Miata. The feel is great but the throw is almost comically short. The jury is out on whether I'll go back to the stock length.

I've got one in mine, it's crazy short. A little rattly though. you don't notice it with the top down, but with the top up it can be a little irritating, but even then I only notice it when I've got a passenger and am feeling self-conscious about it.

Before:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv2OKKF4A1U

After:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w11LLyTrBM

televiper fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 7, 2011

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

televiper posted:

and it does drop the top end down a bit at freeway speeds.

Not really. http://www.idsfa.net/miata/gearing.html

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
My heat has stopped working at idle. Once I'm moving it blows hot just fine, but at every light it turns cold. This is probably a slipping belt right?

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

Ziploc posted:

Not really. http://www.idsfa.net/miata/gearing.html

Yeah, I said it wasn't a big difference, but you acknowledge that 3.3 is less than 3.5, right?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

televiper posted:

Yeah, I said it wasn't a big difference, but you acknowledge that 3.3 is less than 3.5, right?

The 6-speed turns more at 60mph than the 5-speed.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

televiper posted:

6-speed 6th: .843
5-speed 5th: .814

6-speed cars turn less revs because they use 3.909 diffs, vs. the 4.10/4.30 diffs that all the 5-speed cars got. If you take a 5-speed out and put a 6-speed in, it's more revs on the highway.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

mobn posted:

My heat has stopped working at idle. Once I'm moving it blows hot just fine, but at every light it turns cold. This is probably a slipping belt right?

Your heat isn't run off of a belt (well it is, but it's the timing belt/water pump belt). Something else is up. Is the fan stopping?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Checked the coolant level? Could be low enough / with air trapped in the system that you're not keeping the heater core full and at low engine speeds there's not enough coolant moving through it to heat the air.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

Savington posted:

6-speed 6th: .843
5-speed 5th: .814

6-speed cars turn less revs because they use 3.909 diffs, vs. the 4.10/4.30 diffs that all the 5-speed cars got. If you take a 5-speed out and put a 6-speed in, it's more revs on the highway.

Mazda's literature says that NCs (or the 2011s, anyway) come with the 4.10 final drive for all gearboxes.

code:
Gear Ratios (:1) 	5MT 	6MT 	6AT
1st 	                3.14    3.82    3.54
2nd              	1.89 	2.26 	2.06
3rd 	                1.33 	1.64 	1.40
4th 	                1.00 	1.18 	1.00
5th 	                0.81 	1.00 	0.71
6th 	                N/A 	0.79 	0.58
Reverse 	        3.76 	3.60 	3.17
Final drive 	        4.10 	4.10 	4.10
I drive cars and can wrench on cars, but I admit that I don't know terribly much about drivetrains. The number make is seem as though 6th in a 6-speed is about 2.5% more efficient than 5th in a 5-speed. What am I not understanding?

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Fun car. I like it. Is there anything worthwhile to tack onto a miata for more fun before turboing it? I'm gonna daily drive the poo poo out of this car until it falls apart so I don't want to really gently caress with FI, but I would like a little bit more passing power on the interstate.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

First Time Caller posted:

Fun car. I like it. Is there anything worthwhile to tack onto a miata for more fun before turboing it?

Fun? Sure. Power? Not really.

I really enjoyed the difference from good tires and brake pads.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

There aren't that many 'low effort' power mods. The cowl induction intake is the only one I'm familiar with that has a 'dyno proven' jump in HP(not much, like 5). On the NA you can tweak the timing and shift the power band down from 5800 or whatever, but I know there's some sort of complication with that and the NB. Likewise, the NA has the option of taking an extra exhaust cam, cutting it down and putting it on the intake which is good for noticeable power. I forget how that works with the NB's VVT/VICS, perhaps mazdaspeed cams are an option.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Passing power on the freeway = grab a gear, son

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
That's a 99, so I'd probably say that the best bet is a cheap set of headers since the 99-00 manifold was pretty restrictive. Maybe an 01+ header if you find one for a song.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
NO MUFFLER CAN CONTAIN THE RAW AND UNDIGNIFIED POWER OF THE MIATA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt9W01Xf6Gc

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I'm sad that the OP doesn't have good info in it.

Test driving a manual '06 NC tomorrow. 77k miles on it. I want to buy it.

Will post pics if I do.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

dema posted:

I'm sad that the OP doesn't have good info in it.

Test driving a manual '06 NC tomorrow. 77k miles on it. I want to buy it.

Will post pics if I do.

If the OP had good info in it.. it would tell you to buy an 05 instead of an 06. Any Miata is better than no Miata though!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Brain Issues posted:

If the OP had good info in it.. it would tell you to buy an 05 instead of an 06. Any Miata is better than no Miata though!

Looks like your username fits you.

The NCs are good cars. The earlier ones don't really have any trouble areas and can be picked up for less than the late model NBs. They have a decent amount of power and handle quite well with an aggressive alignment.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Phone posted:

Looks like your username fits you.

The NCs are good cars. The earlier ones don't really have any trouble areas and can be picked up for less than the late model NBs. They have a decent amount of power and handle quite well with an aggressive alignment.

Sorry, guy, I just think that the NC looks like a pig, and I've seen a whole lot of low mileage late model NBs for just as cheap or cheaper than the early NC models with equivalent miles.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
NBs are the ugliest miatas, hth

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The Third Man posted:

NBs are the ugliest miatas, hth

Agreed. They look all melty, particularly the front end.

At least the NC doesn't look like it got left in the microwave too long.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 8, 2011

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Guinness posted:

Agreed. They look all melty, particularly the front end.

At least the NC doesn't look like it got left in the microwave too long.

You're wrong. Looks are 100% objective and YOU ARE WRONG.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I am physically unable to drive a vehicle without pop-up headlights.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Phone posted:

I've done this.

It's not fun. Without a roof your ears will hurt sooner rather than later.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
I did this last friday, for 20 miles, cause my downtube decided it didnt like my exhaust manifold any more

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I couldn't tell if my headache was from the fumes or the noise and vibrations.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

Piano posted:

I am physically unable to drive a vehicle without pop-up headlights.

Pretty much this, forever.

The NB looks like someone who had never seen one was asked to draw an NA and given a mild description, at best.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I never particularly liked the stock look of any of the generations. Luckily, it doesn't take much work (or money, really) to get them looking nice/"aggressive". I'd drive the hell out of a stock marble white NC with a hardtop, though. Independent of everything else, I'd probably call that the best looking miata.

Also I was never one of those guys who gave a poo poo about how low my car was/being "flush", but the stock ride height (especially on the 96 and 97, not so much earlier/later) it just so utterly goofy looking.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Speaking of nice NCs

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
Just missing a hardtop

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
It looks like a hellaflush trout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezmerized Machine
Dec 29, 2008

Phone posted:

This was one of the first things I did when I got the car. I put a few washers between the manifold and the muffler to give it a gap for all the vroom-vroom to come out. It sounded nice at first, but after a week I couldn't stand it.