Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Hell yeah, this rules. It’s also really funny that the teenage girl in those Gamera movies is Steven Seagal’s kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

New music Friday post

Pallbearer, doomgaze
Gatecreeper, melodeath
Tzompantli, death doom
Botanist, blackgaze
Cardiac Arrest, dm
Altar of Gore, war
Pathology, brutal death
Nadsvest, bm
Ancient Settlers, melodeath
Insanity Alert, thrash
Kerry King solo album on non-BC, thrash
Ufomammut, stoner doom
Nocturnus AD, tech death
Pain, industrial
Bat, speed
Strychnos, blackened death doom
Göden, death doom
Elvellon, symphonic
Hemotoxin, tech deathrash
Combichrist, industrial
Cognitive, tech death
Hell:On, dm
Celestial Season, death doom
Azimut, sludge
Lucidity on non-BC, progressive death doom
Dawnbreaker, blackened death
Evoked, dm
Anthems of Gomorrah, blackened death

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Looking for some recommendations.

Bal-Sagoth, Bloodbath, Cathedral, Cryptopsy, Dismember, early Entombed, Jungle Rot, Nile (drop to A), Type O Negative

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

hankki posted:

Would you mind sharing the lists that you have made for different tunings on 4 string bass? Some what new bass player here and that sounds awesome and I need to start compiling my own lists asap.

That would be an extremely long post but I can give you some of my favorite bands and bassists to play along with that have a lot of tabs available and don't require virtuoso skill. This is also giving me a look at how many songs are randomly not available any more because Spotify changed what version of an album is there.

"Standard" list:
Annihilator
Anthrax
Atheist (if you want a challenge)
At the Drive-In
The Beatles (McCartney basslines are really melodic and entertaining)
Black Sabbath
Blind Guardian (usually half a step flat)
Celtic Frost
Coroner
Cream
Dead Kennedys
Deep Purple
Every Time I Die (usually drop D)
Faith No More
The Fall of Troy
Green Day (usually half a step flat. also shut up I like old Green Day)
Helloween
Iron Maiden (great way to stress test your playing hand)
Led Zeppelin
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Megadeth
Mercyful Fate
Metallica
Misfits
Muse (they were good once)
Nirvana
Opeth
Overkill (a lot of tabs miss some of what DD is doing)
Pixies
Porcupine Tree
Queen
Rage Against the Machine
Rancid
Rush (Geddy is my all-time favorite to play along with. Not as difficult as his reputation would suggest most of the time, just very busy)
Slayer (usually half a step flat)
Soundgarden (variety of tunings)
Television
Thin Lizzy
Tool (often Drop D)
Weezer (first two albums)
The Who
Yes (Squire is also easier than his reputation, his basslines are just insanely creative and LOUD)

Downtuned (usual tuning in parentheses):
Asphyx (D)
Autopsy (C)
Bolt Thrower (C#)
Carcass (B)
Children of Bodom (D)
Cryptopsy (B, a bit more advanced usually)
Death (D, difficulty depends on the album)
Death From Above 1979 (D)
Entombed (B)
Gojira (D or Drop C)
Isis (Drop B)
Kyuss (C)
Mastodon (usually D, sometimes they drop the low string down to A but the other three strings are GCF)
Queens of the Stone Age (range from C to standard)

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Agalloch's The Mantle is being reissued in a couple different formats. The Decibel version is the cheapest for the vinyl that I saw (at least for the US, didn't look at the Euro store), but it's pretty limited, too.
https://ffm.bio/agalloch?fbclid=IwZ...xGXIK9JB7cxSzfi

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Gatecreeper leaning hard into that mid-period Dismember sound on the new one.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

sold

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
who'n among you is brave enough to join me at the chaos/carnage tour on monday at the gothic in denver? I'll be the one with the death XX beavis & butthead mashup back patch

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

it's very melodic, parts of it almost evoke clayman-era in flames. i'm enjoying it more than i did deserted, but they really blew me away out of nowhere with their hardcore and death-doom flirtations on an unexpected reality and i'm not sure this is as good as that

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

the kerry king album is indistinguishable from boring modern slayer, with two exceptions:

- residue is a mid-tempo groove metal track that is fun in a dumb bro metal gym playlist way. if the rest of the album had this energy it'd be onto something.
- two fists is trying to sound punk and made me tap out early.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

yeah as soon as they released Caught in the Treads i called this album being their Massive Killing Capacity and it looks like i was right. not 100% my thing, but they did a good job of it.

Oxygen Destroyer rules, can't wait for their new album. great live band too.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Nazzadan posted:

New music Friday post
Pain, industrial

AOTY candidate for me. Album just pops.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kkBAjdRzpw

Also very good mood piece.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
kerry king is dull

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

New Powerwolf out on 7/26.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S0-oP9JsL0

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Yeah.
Year of the Power Metal. :black101:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Issaries posted:

AOTY candidate for me. Album just pops.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kkBAjdRzpw

Peter Stormare needs to do more guest spots for metal bands.

Also, that Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas reference is funny to me, because I always thought Peter Tägtgren looked a lot like Johnny Depp.

EDIT:

Highlighting this, because I just listened to it and it loving rules.

EDIT 2: The new Gatecreeper also fucks

Nordick fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 17, 2024

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Jesus Christ the bass sound on that Bat album is monstrous.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

The new Tzompantli owns a lot.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Detective Thompson posted:

The new Tzompantli owns a lot.

That along with the new Borknagar and Grey Skies Fallen albums are my favorites of this year so far.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 19, 2024

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Look, maybe because last night I went to a metal bar where the heaviest they played was Rob Zombie's Dragula, Drowning Pool's Bodies and OOH-WAH-AH-AH-AH...

But Kerry King's album is landing better than it should be. You already know exactly what it's going to be and it doesn't pretend to do anything else. The vocals are sick, the drumming is cool, it all feels pretty Slayerish. I might be saying something different in a few days time, but it's probably still worth a look.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

sick as always

they have a concept and they stick to it and do it well

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i would rather listen to dragula or bodies than anything on the kk solo album

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

ixo posted:

who'n among you is brave enough to join me at the chaos/carnage tour on monday at the gothic in denver? I'll be the one with the death XX beavis & butthead mashup back patch

I'll be there with a buddy! Will likely be rocking my yellow/orange revocation t shirt

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
Hell yeah brother,

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

kerry king is dull

yeah, the album isn't all that hot

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Nordick posted:

It's a good song. :cheers: Fun lil earworm.

Vargatron posted:

This has a real NWOBHM feel to it.

Cid Justice posted:

Good stuff, dude

A little late, but thank you!

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

New Nightwish single is out if anyone’s keen to hear the worst vocal production and mixing in a while

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

tote up a bags posted:

New Nightwish single is out if anyone’s keen to hear the worst vocal production and mixing in a while

Yeah idk why Floor is so buried in the mix, but on the other hand I appreciate the kick drum having a really nice THWUMP to it.

Also, the video is a loving riot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHCaZmIzr0o

Make no mistake, I still love this band to bits, but I absolutely lost my poo poo at that goddamn owl

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Jesus Christ the bass sound on that Bat album is monstrous.

Streetbanger is so loving good

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Do not watch the new nightwish video if you have arachnophobia :(

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
chaos and carnage was fun, even if I did not find that goon.

review,,,,

gently caress yourself, vitriol, the zenith passage: man this poo poo started at 4:30pm and I had things to do, I missed all of that. I would’ve been interested in vitriol, not so much the other two.

humanity’s last breath: they were playing when I rolled in. Swedish deathcore but I swear the guitars had a nu-metal kinda flavor to them. it was fine but not my deal, and I hadn’t drank my beers yet.

rivers of nihil: these guys are in my regular listening rotation but I enjoyed them live more than I thought it would. great stage presence, lots of fun. bought the shirt.

carnifex: kinda lukewarm on them but I thoroughly enjoyed the show they put on. mainly just spent the time being in awe at the extremely large lad of a guitarist on stage left. the singer was super specific about when he wanted you to jump, headbang, throw horns, do a circle pit, etc. too many instructions for me to follow.

cattle decap: goddamnit travis is such a sick vocalist. very strong recommend to see these guys live if you haven’t before, they’re immaculate. someone grabbed my dick from behind during Bring Back The Plague which I’m not 100% sure I can credit to the band, I’ll confer with my counsel.

ixo fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 21, 2024

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
Bat was a sick recommendation, been jamming to that all day

Unrelated: what's the best entry point for Mastodon? They're a blind spot for me but I feel a tinge of guilt as an Atlanta native for not knowing them at all. My concern buddies are planning on seeing them over the summer so I want to get up to speed.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Iceberg-Slim posted:

Unrelated: what's the best entry point for Mastodon? They're a blind spot for me but I feel a tinge of guilt as an Atlanta native for not knowing them at all. My concern buddies are planning on seeing them over the summer so I want to get up to speed.

Leviathan, Blood Mountain and Crack the Skye.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
MDF starts tomorrow with the pre-fest featuring Sodom playing all of Agent Orange live.

Getting super geeked for it.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

MDF starts tomorrow with the pre-fest featuring Sodom playing all of Agent Orange live.

Getting super geeked for it.

i'm so fuckin jelly

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Oranssi Pazuzu teased something today for Friday. I don't know if it's gonna be an announcement, a new track, or if they're going to pull a Tomb Mold and drop a whole album, but I'm excited to see what it is.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Iceberg-Slim posted:

Bat was a sick recommendation, been jamming to that all day

Blood Mountain. Work backwards if you like the heavy parts and forward if you like the proggy parts.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Blood Mountain. Work backwards if you like the heavy parts and forward if you like the proggy parts.

Yeah this is spot on. The correct answer is work backwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Also I will always urge people not to sleep on Call of the Mastodon (the comp of their early EP/demo material). Really early Mastodon is loving insane, especially Brann’s drumming. It’s wild that it’s the same guys who went on to make songs like Show Yourself.