Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Smythe posted:

1st monitor: portrait orientation with vim on it. 2nd monitor: landscape mode with House of 1000 Corpses on it.

DEVOPS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Smythe posted:

1st monitor: portrait orientation with vim on it. 2nd monitor: landscape mode with House of 1000 Corpses on it.

hell ya

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
there has been a real void of humor over the past like 8 pages of this thread or something. some really boring Old Yospos style posts. Where's Werthhog?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Share Bear posted:

late to ny taco chat but sunset park also has fantastic mexican food

there are also good (pricey) taco places in manhattan but people assume ethnic food has to be cheap or it isnt authentic in a weird sort of racist way, so

the best taco i ever had came from a michelin-starred mexican joint in queens

it was like eight or ten bucks for two tacos. worth it.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Programmers care, which is why they spend so much time trying to steal the cachet of a licensed profession.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Citizen Tayne posted:

Does $55k support an upper class family where you live? It doesn't here.

no, but it will support an entire family at a very comfortable standard of living on a single income, which is a tremendous luxury in modern america. many families need two earners just to get by.

two incomes that size is more than just comfortable, it's downright luxurious. 2 * $55k is enough to live comfortably literally anywhere in the united states. even facing the demonic property markets of the bay area.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

no, but it will support an entire family at a very comfortable standard of living on a single income, which is a tremendous luxury in modern america. many families need two earners just to get by.

two incomes that size is more than just comfortable, it's downright luxurious. 2 * $55k is enough to live comfortably literally anywhere in the united states. even facing the demonic property markets of the bay area.

actually $150k in the bay area only leaves $5k take home per month, which is literally broke

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fart simpson posted:

actually $150k in the bay area only leaves $5k take home per month, which is literally broke

yeah, can you really call it living if you're more than five minutes from your climbing gym and a sushi place

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Mr Dog posted:

There really needs to be some sort of gigantic non-occupancy tax on real estate.

The trick is working out a way for it not to make urban blight go on a rampage; it would help a lot in NYC and SF but it would make rust belt commercial property absolutely radioactive.

nah just increase property taxe.. oh wait prop 13. lol. stew in your own poo poo, California

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Smythe posted:

there has been a real void of humor over the past like 8 pages of this thread or something. some really boring Old Yospos style posts. Where's Werthhog?

sorry smythe

i went to the opera in saturday. and by the opera i mean a free simulcast from at&t park, where i ate a polish dog with onions while listening to some sick arias

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Smythe posted:

landscape center, portrait right, come fight me bitch

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Citizen Tayne posted:

Programmers care, which is why they spend so much time trying to steal the cachet of a licensed profession.

i am a programmer and i don't care

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

maniacdevnull posted:

one monitor
emacs
pounding disco music

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Shaggar posted:

nah just increase property taxe.. oh wait prop 13. lol. stew in your own poo poo, California

the inscrutiable chinamen are already paying a property tax assessed on the inflated sale price of their recently-acquired holdings, it doesn't seem to be helping.

anyway regional property bubbles are symptom. the disease is pointless geographic centralization. let techbros flood seattle and austin and portland and a bunch more cities. eventually the work will spread out enough that landlords won't be able to confiscate the majority of your earnings with impunity.

an aggressive buildout of public transportation networks would help a lot too but lol racism. it's always loving racism.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

anyway regional property bubbles are symptom. the disease is pointless geographic centralization. let techbros flood seattle and austin and portland and a bunch more cities. eventually the work will spread out enough that landlords won't be able to confiscate the majority of your earnings with impunity.

i don't think there's any evidence that this is the case

concentration has all kinds of great knock-on effects, which is why things keep ratcheting up tighter and tighter

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i don't think there's any evidence that this is the case

concentration has all kinds of great knock-on effects, which is why things keep ratcheting up tighter and tighter

yeah, like i can spend six months trying to hire ten developers who have heard of modern technology X in knoxville or whatever "silicon valley of the X" or or i can get five dece ones instantly in teh bay area and they dont care that my airbnb for childrens toys startup is going to flame out in 9 months because theres always more jobs out there

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
the silicon valley of the mind

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

PCjr sidecar posted:

yeah, like i can spend six months trying to hire ten developers who have heard of modern technology X in knoxville or whatever "silicon valley of the X" or or i can get five dece ones instantly in teh bay area and they dont care that my airbnb for childrens toys startup is going to flame out in 9 months because theres always more jobs out there
until one day there ain't, but that's how it always goes

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012
There's lots of good tech jobs out in the north carolina triangle area. Nobody would brag and say that this is the "SV of" anything, but it has some redeeming features. A lot of bay area expats have migrated here, I hope the cost of living isn't too heavily impacted. Y'all are still welcome to come by! Even if you're not living in one of the major corners (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill), suburbs like cary and carrboro have a lot going for them! I think, for the size and the cost, it's a real nice area. I think buying a home might be a little expensive, but not out of the ordinary.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Is it legal to require your employees to sign away their rights to bring ADA / civil rights act lawsuits against the employer? Because I sure as gently caress don't think that's legal but my gf's company is giving everyone "a bonus!!!" if they sign this document that has an absurdly wide blanket waver section saying you agree to never sue based on "all claims for alleged fraud, concealment, negligence, negligent misrepresentation, promissory estoppel, quantum meriut, intentional or negligent infliction of emotional distress, wrongful discharge, breach of covenant, violation of public policy, sexual harassment, constructive termination, retaliation and discrimination based on age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, national origin, handicap, disability, or retaliation or any other factor protected by law"

If I were a mustache twirler I'd watermark these by rearranging the lists for each employee to see who sends it to the press

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tayter Swift posted:

If I were a mustache twirler I'd watermark these by rearranging the lists for each employee to see who sends it to the press

i legit thought of that and rearranged it and changed some of the phrasing slightly when i retyped it here for that exact reason, just in case :tinfoil:

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i am a programmer and i don't care

im a programmer and i care if only because programmers are awful and deserve to be taken down a few pegs at every opportunity

maniacdevnull posted:

three landscape including laptop monitor, none of them lined up properly, one a different resolution from the other two

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Mr Dog posted:

There really needs to be some sort of gigantic non-occupancy tax on real estate.

make Prop 13 only apply to a natural person's primary residence as specified when filing their taxes, getting their driver's license or state ID, and registering to vote (and all of those addresses must match)

tax all other property at its full assessed value, including all commercial property, including any property being rented out (like that spare room on AirBnB wouldn't be covered by Prop13 even if the rest of the house is)

it might keep enough of what made people wanted Prop 13 for to actually be possible

j/k, it'll never happen, everyone thinks they're a temporarily embarrassed millionaire landlord with multiple vacation homes

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

eschaton posted:

make Prop 13 only apply to a natural person's primary residence as specified when filing their taxes, getting their driver's license or state ID, and registering to vote (and all of those addresses must match)

tax all other property at its full assessed value, including all commercial property, including any property being rented out (like that spare room on AirBnB wouldn't be covered by Prop13 even if the rest of the house is)

it might keep enough of what made people wanted Prop 13 for to actually be possible

j/k, it'll never happen, everyone thinks they're a temporarily embarrassed millionaire landlord with multiple vacation homes

well i guess i live in a po box now. it's ok.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Citizen Tayne posted:

Ours is 12% of net. I laugh at people who overbuy.

lmao mine is probably significantly more.

like 30-40% depending on if I even have a job

laugh it up

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

lmao mine is probably significantly more.

like 30-40% depending on if I even have a job

laugh it up

ok. lol.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

eschaton posted:

actually just abolish prop 13 entirely because absolutely none of it is a good idea

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

fishmech posted:

actually just abolish prop 13 entirely because absolutely none of it is a good idea

Ben Franklin was right

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
oh look, a bunch of poor itinerate renters want to raise taxes on home owners. I wonder if their opinion will change when they own a home.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

fishmech posted:

actually just abolish private real property entirely because absolutely none of it is a good idea

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

ArmZ posted:

actually just abolish private real property entirely because absolutely none of it is a good idea

state assigned barracks 4-eva

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Management posted:

oh look, a bunch of poor itinerate renters want to raise taxes on home owners. I wonder if their opinion will change when they own a home.

sorry you enjoy having a completely broken governmental system i guess??

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

The Management posted:

The Management posted:

when they own a home.

pffft-hahahaha

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Citizen Tayne posted:

Pissing away two or more hours a day of your life to get to and from work, groceries, etc is a tragedy.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

i own a homeand would support this poo poo :getin:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Krakox posted:

There's lots of good tech jobs out in the north carolina triangle area. Nobody would brag and say that this is the "SV of" anything, but it has some redeeming features. A lot of bay area expats have migrated here, I hope the cost of living isn't too heavily impacted. Y'all are still welcome to come by! Even if you're not living in one of the major corners (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill), suburbs like cary and carrboro have a lot going for them! I think, for the size and the cost, it's a real nice area. I think buying a home might be a little expensive, but not out of the ordinary.

theres plenty of space there that building new stuff wont be a problem for a while

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

The Management posted:

As a Maryland homeowner, i support raising property taxes in California

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

And when i say raise i mean make them even the slightest bit sane

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
property taxes are the only sane way to do taxes.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Shaggar posted:

more or less how texas does it

oh ya and also lots of stupid fines and fees for every goddamn thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Shaggar posted:

And inheritance taxes.

Death to the landed gentry

• Locked thread