Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Ok I know Lego is overpriced but jfc :psyduck:

It's pretty crazy but it's also an enormous set - 4,800 pieces and 43"x26"x17" when built.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Timby posted:

Hornblower came from Nick Meyer (and Roddenberry hated him for it).

I thought Roddenberry told Patrick Stewart he was basically playing Hornblower and told him to read the books, which he already had.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Timby posted:

Hornblower came from Nick Meyer (and Roddenberry hated him for it).

Whoa, really? What's there to hate about Horatio Hornblower In Space? though honor harrington sucks, fite me

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Memory Alpha says that Roddenberry's original pitch for Star Trek described Captain Robert April as a "space-age Captain Horatio Hornblower".

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Yeah, it’s right there in “Star Trek is...” right before it compares and contrasts April with Drake, Cook, etc. I think it’s fair to say that the comparison with British age of sail adventure stuff was there from the beginning even if Wrath of Khan dialed it up a lot more.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It's pretty crazy but it's also an enormous set - 4,800 pieces and 43"x26"x17" when built.

Huh. I was trying to gauge the size going by the size of the... bumps. (Do those have an official name?) Anyway based on that it doesn't look nearly that big.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Huh. I was trying to gauge the size going by the size of the... bumps. (Do those have an official name?) Anyway based on that it doesn't look nearly that big.

Studs :wink:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Studs I think?

As far as size, the Ultimate Collector Series models do not gently caress around. For reference here is an average (but weird-looking) person holding the UCS Millenium Falcon which was 7,500 pieces:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I literally cannot think of a potential market that fits the bill of "will pay exorbitant amounts for low-production high-quality replicas" better than Star Trek fans

e: maybe Star Wars fans

It's just modern nerd culture merchandising.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yes, and?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I remember ten years ago being really tempted to get the Lego Super Star Destroyer, and ultimately being deterred by the thought that I wouldn't have a place to put it after I finished building the drat thing.

I did get the Lego Saturn V though, which works great since it can just stand up in the corner of a desk and not take up that much surface area.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Drone posted:

though honor harrington sucks, fite me

Admittedly coming from a place of not having read Hornblower, I don't think the Honor Harrington series is so much "Horatio Hornblower, in space" as it is "Tom Clancy, in space (where nobody can hear the editor scream)".

That said I don't think anyone here is going to contest you on this.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Admittedly coming from a place of not having read Hornblower, I don't think the Honor Harrington series is so much "Horatio Hornblower, in space" as it is "Tom Clancy, in space (where nobody can hear the editor scream)".

That said I don't think anyone here is going to contest you on this.

The author of the Honor Harrington series was fairly explicit about his use Hornblower and other Age of Sail references as the basis for the series. Said author is also a card-carrying member of the NRA.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Honor Harrington is obviously space Hornblower right down to the name, propensity to duel bullies, ridiculous accumulation of honors and titles, goof rear end French revolutionary opponents, but without the monumental insecurity that makes Hornblower occasionally tolerable as a character. Also she has a talking space cat and everyone loves her and she revolutionizes all space tactics forever and LIBERALS LIBERALS LIBERALS

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I've not read the books but I enjoyed the Hornblower tv show with Ioan Gruffudd. Someone uploaded the whole thing to youtube, well worth a watch. You can definitely see the inspiration for Star Trek when it comes to the naval adventure side of things.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

marktheando posted:

I've not read the books but I enjoyed the Hornblower tv show with Ioan Gruffudd. Someone uploaded the whole thing to youtube, well worth a watch. You can definitely see the inspiration for Star Trek when it comes to the naval adventure side of things.

Yeah it’s good, similar Trek-adjacent appeal to Master and Commander.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is there any similar material for land based exploration?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Not exploration at all (neither was Hornblower) but I always sorta understood the Sharpe series to be kind of a land-based analog to Hornblower.

Though maybe it's because they both had really good TV movie series that I watched at around the same-ish time.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Cornwell wrote the Sharpe books precisely to be a land-based analog to Hornblower.

Land explorer stuff tends to be rather darker, or at least in worse taste, than sailing adventures, probably because there aren’t any Indians at sea.

If you can find it you could try watching the Mexican movie Cabeza de Vaca, about one of the first white guys in the new world to do anything other than act like a monster.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah the Hornblower/Trek crossover is strongest in the episodes where the Enterprise tangles with the French Klingons or the Romulans, not so much the exploration stuff.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Studs I think?

As far as size, the Ultimate Collector Series models do not gently caress around. For reference here is an average (but weird-looking) person holding the UCS Millenium Falcon which was 7,500 pieces:

They sell that for $800, so it works out to about 10.6 cents per piece. The regular Millennium Falcon they sell (current model is the Solo one) is $170 (but can be found on sale for less) and has 1400 pieces, about 12 cents a piece.

So those collector's models are huge, and expensive, but they're not grossly overpriced for what you get compared to normal Legos.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

skasion posted:

Honor Harrington is obviously space Hornblower right down to the name, propensity to duel bullies, ridiculous accumulation of honors and titles, goof rear end French revolutionary opponents, but without the monumental insecurity that makes Hornblower occasionally tolerable as a character. Also she has a talking space cat and everyone loves her and she revolutionizes all space tactics forever and LIBERALS LIBERALS LIBERALS

Yeah, well... I'm still going to refer to that series as "Tom Clancy in space" :colbert:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah, well... I'm still going to refer to that series as "Tom Clancy in space" :colbert:

Isn't that The Expanse?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Isn't that The Expanse?

Realistically, Tom Clancy in Space is probably Babylon 5, given how heavily it dives into the Great Man theory of storytelling, overcoming government conspiracies and toppling alien powers.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Timby posted:

Realistically, Tom Clancy in Space is probably Babylon 5, given how heavily it dives into the Great Man theory of storytelling, overcoming government conspiracies and toppling alien powers.

Clancy would never have written a story where the nativist gestapo were the villains though

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I want more talking space cats

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
What was the star trek comic with talking space beavers

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

shovelbum posted:

You want Wing Commander III.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

shovelbum posted:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

You want Wing Commander III.

There's 100% another "well-known sci-fi franchise with cat aliens whose name starts with a K" but I can't remember what it is

e: found it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kzin

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

shovelbum posted:

What was the star trek comic with talking space beavers

I'm at work right now but it was an issue of the first DC run of Star Trek comics. as far as i know it's the only time those lil' rascals showed up.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also a talking bird:

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Is he going to tell Spock to do a barrel roll?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

also a talking bird:

TAS fuckin’ owns, man.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If I was doing a new star trek I swear a blood oath I'd spend most of the budget on really good CGI and puppet based TAS aliens as like half the characters.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Baronjutter posted:

If I was doing a new star trek I swear a blood oath I'd spend most of the budget on really good CGI and puppet based TAS aliens as like half the characters.

Yeah but some coked up producer who has no idea what the series is would be like BUDGET NEEDS TO BE IN POINTLESS SPACE SHIP BATTLES or WHAT IF WE TOOK THAT IDEA AND MADE IT KLINGONS INSTEAD!!!!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

jeeves posted:

Yeah but some coked up producer who has no idea what the series is would be like BUDGET NEEDS TO BE IN POINTLESS SPACE SHIP BATTLES or WHAT IF WE TOOK THAT IDEA AND MADE IT KLINGONS INSTEAD!!!!

BUT ALSO REDESIGNED THE KLINGONS AGAIN NOW THAT'S WORTH THE BUDGET

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Baronjutter posted:

i mean just do another animated series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

i mean just do another animated series

*finger of monkey's paw curls*