Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

GulagDolls posted:

I ask because I've been trying out RS3 and it's just really difficult to get excited about anything. like after the prologue you're just dumped into a bunch of identical towns with people saying "there's an ancient castle to the west' or w/e and there's no narrative importance attached to anything anyone says or any reason to really care about what they're saying, but that might be due to the pretty awful fan translation. it makes it hard to play regardless

uh, this is the point of romancing saga...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

ok, well, you can do the non-linear throw 1000 clues about different places and let the player go nuts thing without making every prospective area sound really vague and pointless, so i'm asking if rs2 is better on that front because it has a real translation now

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

By SaGa standards, RS 2 is fairly straightforward.
The writing is really dull though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I restarted my game and speedran up to where I was, which took a surprisingly short amount of time. I'll say immediately I have no idea what you're talking about with getting one-shot, are you using the Cross formation? If you get into a battle while sprinting it'll send you to the line formation which is terrible, so if you switch the controls to sprinting default like I did make sure you toggle a walk just before you get in an encounter to retain the formation. Also, heavier armor will slow you down, so if you keep Gerard and the Archer at a low weight they'll usually go first and that'll be enough to cripple any encounter in your favor.

The Dojo is free, the guys who help you freely assign skills is in the room where the soldiers are practicing their formation, but you can't use it until after Gerard passes on to the next heir. Speaking of Gerard, you're right that he can't spark abilities once he gets the inheritance, so it's best to keep him on magic duty to build you MP pool and magic power since he can't learn skills anyways. Every generation after him is able to though, but I'm still keeping my heirs as spellcasters since you enter the second generation already pretty strong with both light and fire magic. For some reason the hit-all bow attack missed like every shot the first two times I used it so I wrote it off, but now I've got a bowman in my team. My party right now is MC Fire/Earth/Light magic, 1H Sword tank, 2H sword damage dealer, bowman/spearman, and then a Water/Wind mage to keep all my magic schools high. This'll change after I get access to more of the special classes, choices are kind of limited at first.

Using the cross formation, yeah. The guy who joined me right before that cave (some sword+spear user whose name I forget) had around 120 or so HP and some of the enemies in the cave could hit him for 130+ in a single move. Getting hit twice by a bunch of enemies in there could easily kill him. Maybe my monster rank thing got higher and that's why? I was fighting knights(???) as flying enemies in the cave too. Got a skysteel shield as a drop from one and it seems pretty good at least.

Gerald not being able to spark any more is really awful. It means I've been largely wasting time having him fight using martial arts since he only has Counter from it and unless a future emperor is a worthwhile kungfu badass, I could've spent the time working on sword or even just making heavier use of magic. I think my light magic is rank 7 or 8 atm.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

I love playing xb2 more than pretty much most rpgs this year.

The tales comment came from impatom when he gave his review.

I didn't say anything about it having narrative problems like Zesteria though, just that the tone and felt less like Xenoblade 1's opening and more like a more standard JRPG. I'm not sure where you'd get "it's like Zesteria" from.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wrong quote?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

zestiria is sadly the modern face of the tales series in the west due to selling so well on steam

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just started playing Drakengard. For an action rpg the combat is god awful. I know they were going for Dynasty Warrior style but dynasty warrior is a lot more responsive.

Still murdering millions of faceless soldiers as Caim is fun. The story is interesting so far which is what this game is known for.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

How's nights of azure 2? I haven't played the first one but the second one is on switch and I've got a gift card burning a virtual hole in my virtual pocket.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Evil Fluffy posted:

Gerald not being able to spark any more is really awful. It means I've been largely wasting time having him fight using martial arts since he only has Counter from it and unless a future emperor is a worthwhile kungfu badass, I could've spent the time working on sword or even just making heavier use of magic. I think my light magic is rank 7 or 8 atm.

1) The martial arts skill points are not wasted. Your SP pool is derived from your total points in all weapon skills.
2) It is fully possible to have a kung-fu badass as your emperor.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Amppelix posted:

How's nights of azure 2? I haven't played the first one but the second one is on switch and I've got a gift card burning a virtual hole in my virtual pocket.

I've heard it's the same or slightly worse than the first.

e: vvvv I read gud :negative:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 25, 2017

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ok but i just said i haven't played that one either

What, am i going to have to actually do my own research on this instead of making forums users dripfeed the information into my veins

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Amppelix posted:

Not good, it's a game made on a budget of $10 that hopes to get by on having girls almost kiss on the cover and everyone wearing the most fetishy outfits you can imagine. The combat is Warriors done worse and the one good thing about the first game (the relationship between the two main characters) gets diluted by having to have like seven girls this time and all the character moments relegated to optional sidequests that you can't see all of first time around due to the time limit.
Naturally I beat it twice and got all the endings.
Oh and it runs like rear end on the PS4 so I can't imagine it being great on Switch.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

As a liker of almost every budget Warriors game in existence I ended up refunding Nights of Azure 2 real loving quick because it somehow manages to have the worst combat and also running like hot garbage.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Aww. Guess I'll get some actually good games instead. Switch needs to start bringing over more of the Vita's massive stock of mid-tier anime fanservice games real quick-like. There's like two currently. I was promised anime!!

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
If you like Warriors games and haven't played 8, just play 8. More in keeping with the thread, Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below isn't bad and has a more RPG feel. The second one is a small step up, as is the progression with Warriors games.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm only about 2-3 hours in and I have the MC use light ball and martial arts (hopefully this is a good idea in the long run and RS2 has crazy kungfu bullshit like the dream super combo in SaGa Frontier). Occasionally uses a sword when I need to hit harder, but I'm also use 3 other sword users. Two of them learned smash and sunder on their own and I really hope I can make a dojo soon, and can afford to do so after burning 1.3m crowns on the first two upgrade options. IDK where the hell those are built at either.

My biggest issue so far is that enemies can easily one-shot party members. I recruited a new 5th party member then went to the goblin cave and that new party member died 6 times before I finished the cave and the paper-thin archer girl you start with is down to 3 lp as well. At least she learned the AOE random target bow skill though. That skill plus light ball can be a godsend when fighting 5-6 enemies at a time.

e: Just to be clear, does the emperor have the ability to spark skills of any kind? I sparked Counter on Gerald but that was before he was emperor.

The emperor definitely can, so I looked it up and apparently Gerald just... can't, for some reason. As soon as he's gone, you'll start sparking stuff for sure. Different classes do have different odds and weapon preferences, though, so if your emperor is a brawler he'll spark more martial stuff, etc.

GulagDolls posted:

ok, well, you can do the non-linear throw 1000 clues about different places and let the player go nuts thing without making every prospective area sound really vague and pointless, so i'm asking if rs2 is better on that front because it has a real translation now

It certainly helps, yeah. Plus since you're expanding your empire, there's a little more actual feedback on accomplishing stuff. After you finish an area people there are like, it's the fuckin emperor whoah and you get a new character class

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Evil Fluffy posted:

Honestly, you're not out that much. I did almost nothing but cast Light Ball for the entirety of Gerald's segment and my light magic skill only ended up being at 8 or something. From my totally anecdotal experience, skills get harder to level up the closer to the same power level the skill level is to the enemy level, so even though I used a shitload of light magic I didn't fight enough really tough enemies to progress it that much farther than you did. The same applies for sparking techs - I almost never spark techs in regular battles, but then a boss battle hits and I'll spark like 3-4. Sometimes if I'm prepared enough I'll drag boss battles out to try and get more skills out of it.

Also, when people say "ah don't worry about your emperor dying, it's supposed to happen" what they really mean is "there are many cases in which an emperor dying is good." Gerard and the final emperor you name at the beginning of the game are the only real Emperors, and for the rest of the generations you pick one of the classes you've unlocked. So, by doing the Dragon Lair quest, you get the Brawler added to the pool of possible characters you can choose to reincarnate into. If you do choose him as an heir, you'll have an easier time sparking those martial techs, but they don't have an easier time ranking up your unarmed skill level so the levels you already gained aren't wasted effort at all. Brawlers are only "better" at unarmed attacks because of the sparking odds and their stats are more beneficial for what martial skills use in the damage formula. So, you want to do a fair amount of class hopping, which can be done by completing enough events to skip a generation, which happens a limited number of times, or dying, which you have much more freedom with. The only thing I'm not sure of is how the total character pool works. Are you draining a total pool of characters across all eras, or do certain characters only exist in certain eras so you have a limited number of tries per generation that is replenished when you complete a scenario?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

You're not at much of a disadvantage at all, actually, since skill level makes sparking more likely and whoever takes over from Gerald will get to keep that skill level. If you want a martial arts emperor, that's totally fine.

From what I've read, you can technically run out of people and thus get the final emperor, but it involves being emperor and then dying as every possible version of every class you have unlocked at the moment. Seems unlikely to happen by accident. I think dying multiple times can trigger a generation change before that, though?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Evil Fluffy posted:

The real problem here is that you gave him high attack power in a category that forces you to choose martial artist next gen or not have any sparks. Sparks are global across all characters thanks to the trainers, but you have to wait a generation.

It's also worth noting that the final characters of each gender come with their own legendary one handed swords that have exclusive sparks.

corn in the bible posted:

From what I've read, you can technically run out of people and thus get the final emperor, but it involves being emperor and then dying as every possible version of every class you have unlocked at the moment. Seems unlikely to happen by accident. I think dying multiple times can trigger a generation change before that, though?

This seems like it would be incredibly difficult since a party kill results in generation change and the royal is the only one with the run action.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

If the emperor LP dies but some party member survives, then it fades to black and then has you make one of them emperor instead as a replacement. This happened to me during one of the boss fights.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Having played almost double digits Atelier games this year, Sophie really is subpar. The dev team's intention seems to have been a back to basics game but they just ended up stripping out the character and a bunch of basic QoL stuff while at it. I sure hope they at least added event indicators back in in the sequels.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Honestly, you're not out that much. I did almost nothing but cast Light Ball for the entirety of Gerald's segment and my light magic skill only ended up being at 8 or something. From my totally anecdotal experience, skills get harder to level up the closer to the same power level the skill level is to the enemy level, so even though I used a shitload of light magic I didn't fight enough really tough enemies to progress it that much farther than you did. The same applies for sparking techs - I almost never spark techs in regular battles, but then a boss battle hits and I'll spark like 3-4. Sometimes if I'm prepared enough I'll drag boss battles out to try and get more skills out of it.

Also, when people say "ah don't worry about your emperor dying, it's supposed to happen" what they really mean is "there are many cases in which an emperor dying is good." Gerard and the final emperor you name at the beginning of the game are the only real Emperors, and for the rest of the generations you pick one of the classes you've unlocked. So, by doing the Dragon Lair quest, you get the Brawler added to the pool of possible characters you can choose to reincarnate into. If you do choose him as an heir, you'll have an easier time sparking those martial techs, but they don't have an easier time ranking up your unarmed skill level so the levels you already gained aren't wasted effort at all. Brawlers are only "better" at unarmed attacks because of the sparking odds and their stats are more beneficial for what martial skills use in the damage formula. So, you want to do a fair amount of class hopping, which can be done by completing enough events to skip a generation, which happens a limited number of times, or dying, which you have much more freedom with. The only thing I'm not sure of is how the total character pool works. Are you draining a total pool of characters across all eras, or do certain characters only exist in certain eras so you have a limited number of tries per generation that is replenished when you complete a scenario?

Gerald ended up sparking ki blast when he was emperor, which is weird because I thought he was supposed to be cut off from sparking techs but :shrug:. I took a brawler as my next emperor, sparked sabot and then later sparks the 6wp skill that comes from it, which made them my hardest hitting person by a significant amount. I have Achilles as my emperor now (saw on a wiki that he's apparently a type 08 character, which should let them spark most/all good greatsword techs) and I have no loving clue what to do other than wander and grind until I can kill bosses like the termite queen. I did spark vertical strike on Achilles though which is pretty handy. Hopefully I can spark up the sunder/smash chain of abilities a bit because they look like they should get pretty ridiculous. At least I'm hoping that Swallow and Falling Petals are worth it. I know in SaGa Frontier getting Heaven/Hell early on was always a huge help, and then stuff like Tres Flores later on for late/end game boss destruction.

I'd gone to Douglass and spoke to the king, then his kids, and progressed that to the point where I needed to go take care of the mastermind behind the turmoil there after I collapsed the tunnel. I did a quick detour to unlock the gem mines and went back to the area but the fort just has a 'keep out' message when I try to go in. I eventually gave up and finished the gem mine to time skip ahead (and replaced my brawler king with Achilles). I still can't go to the fort to deal with the person who tried to use the young prince to take over their kingdom, and his older brother/sister both give generic "I am doing X" lines when I talk to them. I guess I might just be locked out of that permanently since I didn't immediately go to the fort and went to check the gem mine (but not finish it for the time skip) first?

Right now I'm just wandering in the Salamat area. Encountered the amazon but can't follow her due to a pitfall, and hopefully I can actually find the stone boat at this point in time (so I can go to the village by the volcano) otherwise I guess I'll have to head back to the savannah to try the termite queen again. Currently running a team of Mercenary, Heavy Infantry, Brawler, and then a pair of mages (my global magic ranks suck, badly).

One annoyance is how you have to unlock sections of the world map before you can highlight it to fast travel to points you've unlocked. I can fast travel out of this jungle but I'd have to run through a dozen places to get back to salamat or the volcano area.

DalaranJ posted:

The real problem here is that you gave him high attack power in a category that forces you to choose martial artist next gen or not have any sparks. Sparks are global across all characters thanks to the trainers, but you have to wait a generation.

It's also worth noting that the final characters of each gender come with their own legendary one handed swords that have exclusive sparks.

That's what I did, but unfortunately the M and F mercs I brought for 1 h and 2h sword use turned out to be Bow and Spear users (which I only found by checking a wiki when I was nearing the end of my use of them) which left me with only a couple sparks on them for swords. The 1h user got Air Wave(?) and something else (plus Swarm, due to the sword drop I got from a termite) while the 2h user just has sunder/smash the entire time. And the throw ability you get with curved swords...

It was rough. I probably screwed myself up by taking 2 casters this time because I am going to need to grind my magic a ton it seems. When they joined their starting magic levels were only 6-7 in fire/water,/earth with air at 10 and light at 2-3. My martial arts and sword users were at 14-15 by comparison. :sigh:

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 25, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
yeah, you definitely gotta plan ahead if you use magic

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Termite Queen seems super hard until you realize it can be stunned

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
Are all of the Saga games as crazy batshit as the discussions of them in this thread seem to make them out to be?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Charlie Bobson posted:

Are all of the Saga games as crazy batshit as the discussions of them in this thread seem to make them out to be?

yes

play saga 1 and experience going from a slightly off-beat fantasy world to an ocean dimension with floating islands, and then a 20 minute long sky world story about two sisters that's then followed by going to post-nuclear tokyo

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Charlie Bobson posted:

the boss's actual name is Algernon, but it's called Rat Cluster because Algernon is the one mega-rat hiding in five possible targets that randomize every turn, and you tell which one it is because he's immune to rat poison

The Colonel posted:

yes

play saga 1 and experience going from a slightly off-beat fantasy world to an ocean dimension with floating islands, and then a 20 minute long sky world story about two sisters that's then followed by going to post-nuclear tokyo

and then it turns out that you're on a gameshow, of sorts, and that the door behind him leads to literally hell... but that's a retcon from over twenty years later

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 25, 2017

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013

The Colonel posted:

yes

sold

whats the best way to start playing these? I already have the last remnant (which I've heard is basically a saga game with the serial numbers filed off), and was planning on buying romancing saga 2 on the switch due to the discussion in this thread. Is there any sort of beginners guide to the series or do i just need to feel this poo poo out

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The White Dragon posted:

the boss's actual name is Algernon, but it's called Rat Cluster because Algernon is the one mega-rat hiding in five possible targets that randomize every turn, and you tell which one it is because he's immune to rat poison

I remember that Dark Souls 2 boss

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the ABCs of Romancing SaGa

A) the more frequently you get hit, the more HP growth you get. your strength grows based on what you use: lots of magic, and you'll get higher magic attack (but only with that element). if you use spears, your attack power with spears will increase; but your overall attack strength will not (kinda depends on the game). if a character runs out of LP, they are permanently dead forever

B) you learn new weapon skills by using the weapon over and over. it's mostly random, but there are a couple other factors, like enemy rank and type. think of it as your Battle Rank in TLR, because this is what BR is derived from. some skills have a minimum rank to be able to learn, and sometimes you get a bonus by fighting the right class of monster (slime, amphibian, etc). in romancing saga 2, there is also a skill ceiling, so if you're fighting monsters that are too strong, you can't learn earlier techniques.

C) talk to everyone, all the time. this is the primary way to unlock quests and new areas to visit. yes, even the NPC in a tiny storage room on a dock. if you can talk to it, talk to it (except Tatyana in RS3 because she's a poo poo character and forces her way into your party)

D) most of the time, final bosses in SaGa games are either entirely up to the RNG or you're using a really specific exploit to beat them. if you can't win, well... too bad i guess

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It's important to remember that the first SaGa game was Final Fantasy II.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
I really need to reformat my Vita one of these days so I can play that version of Genius of Sappheiros, the touhou fangame that got me into SaGa.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there any way to remove all that mobile touchscreen UI garbage from the screen of Romancing SaGa 2?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Golden Battler posted:

I really need to reformat my Vita one of these days so I can play that version of Genius of Sappheiros, the touhou fangame that got me into SaGa.
What are the QoL changes in that version anyway? Aside from adding Akyu as a party member (what are her skills like anyway?).

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It's important to remember that the first SaGa game was Final Fantasy II.

Where does "bad guy takes over heaven and hell after dying" and "programmer encrypts his coding so no one can make Ultima good" fall on the SaGa scale.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
maximum kawazu

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Colonel posted:

maximum kawazu

Heard it in the Crysis voice. Good.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

the ABCs of Romancing SaGa

A) the more frequently you get hit, the more HP growth you get. your strength grows based on what you use: lots of magic, and you'll get higher magic attack (but only with that element). if you use spears, your attack power with spears will increase; but your overall attack strength will not (kinda depends on the game). if a character runs out of LP, they are permanently dead forever

B) you learn new weapon skills by using the weapon over and over. it's mostly random, but there are a couple other factors, like enemy rank and type. think of it as your Battle Rank in TLR, because this is what BR is derived from. some skills have a minimum rank to be able to learn, and sometimes you get a bonus by fighting the right class of monster (slime, amphibian, etc). in romancing saga 2, there is also a skill ceiling, so if you're fighting monsters that are too strong, you can't learn earlier techniques.

C) talk to everyone, all the time. this is the primary way to unlock quests and new areas to visit. yes, even the NPC in a tiny storage room on a dock. if you can talk to it, talk to it (except Tatyana in RS3 because she's a poo poo character and forces her way into your party)

D) most of the time, final bosses in SaGa games are either entirely up to the RNG or you're using a really specific exploit to beat them. if you can't win, well... too bad i guess

By the Romancing SaGa games, HP growth just grows based on being in battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Heard it in the Crysis voice. Good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB6o6FAgVyI