Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Syntax highlighting is juvenile. When I was a child, I was taught arithmetic using colored rods (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisenaire_rods). I grew up and today I use monochromatic numerals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
lol if you count using any kind of digit that isn’t one of the ten sprouting from the hands that god gave you

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Soricidus posted:

lol if you count using any kind of digit that isn’t one of the ten sprouting from the hands that god gave you

hell yea counting to 31 on one hand

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Krankenstyle posted:

hell yea counting to 31 on one hand

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lmbo if your hand is unsigned

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MononcQc posted:

There was a language designer there who was a deeply committed idiot. His primary goal for one required language was to spend the entire semester attempting to prove that error handling couldn't exist. His students were always afraid to argue with him because of his impeccable 80s logic. For twenty years, he had written the same language over and over again and no one had ever had the courage to go against him. Sure, some had argued in class at times, but no one had ever 'really gone against Rob Pike'.

Nobody would go against him because he had a reputation. At the release of every language, on the last day, he would say to his team of 300 new hires, "If there anyone here who still believes they can use brilliant languages, stand up!" In twenty years, no one had ever stood up. They knew what he was going to do next. He would say, "because anyone who does believe in anything but Go is a fool. If error handling existed, he could stop this piece of chalk from hitting the ground and raising a panic. Such a simple task to prove that he is able to handle exceptions, and yet he can't do it." And every year, he would drop the chalk onto the tile floor and it would shatter into a hundred pieces. The students could do nothing but stop and stare. Most of the students were convinced that error handling couldn't exist. Certainly, a number of non-Go devs had slipped through, but for 20 years, they had been too afraid to stand up.

Well, a few years ago, there was a freshman who happened to get enrolled in the class. He was a Rust developer, and had heard the stories about this professor. He had to take the class because it was one of the required classes for his internship and he was afraid. But for 3 months that semester, he prayed every morning that he would have the courage to stand up no matter what Rob Pike said or what the class thought. Nothing they said or did could ever shatter his faith in the Rust type system, he hoped.

Finally the day came. The Rob Pike said, "If there is anyone here who still believes in something else than Go, stand up!" Rob Pike and the class of 300 interns looked at him, shocked, as he stood up at the back of the classroom. Rob Pike shouted, "You FOOL!! If error handling existed, it could keep this piece of chalk from breaking when it hit the ground!" He proceeded to drop the chalk, but as he did, it slipped out of his fingers, off his shirt cuff, onto the pleats of his pants, down his leg, and off his shoe. As it hit the ground, it simply rolled away, wrapped in a generic type, unbroken.

Rob Pike's jaw dropped as he stared at the chalk. He looked up at the young man and then ran out of the lecture hall. The young man who had stood up proceeded to walk to the front of the room and share his faith in Rust for the next half hour. 300 interns stayed and listened as he told of the borrow checker's love for them and of his power through Types.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

Syntax highlighting is juvenile. When I was a child, I was taught arithmetic using colored rods (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisenaire_rods). I grew up and today I use monochromatic numerals.

cuisenaire rods are awesome and the colors are incidental

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

132 :mad:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
BECAUSE 789!

:dadjoke:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Bloody posted:

lmbo if your hand is unsigned

Mine was signed by the pen fifteen club

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

pro tip: use your tongue as the sign bit

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

this isnt the hackernews thread

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Schadenboner posted:

BECAUSE 789!

:dadjoke:

u gotta eat three squares u kno

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Krankenstyle posted:

pro tip: use your tongue as the sign bit

there's a joke in here about bit twiddling

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i'm writing a forth -> bytecode compiler in C# and a bytecode interpreter in 6502 ASM

i like forth now

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

i'm writing a forth -> bytecode compiler in C# and a bytecode interpreter in 6502 ASM

i like forth now

It took my brain many tries to not parse this as "I'm writing a 4th bytecode compiler ..."

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I thirst for Forth!

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

i like forth now

may the forth be with you

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Luigi Thirty posted:

i like forth now

forth is pretty rad. more people should try it.

do you have a particular project in mind for your interpreter, or are you just tinkering?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Internet Janitor posted:

forth is pretty rad. more people should try it.

do you have a particular project in mind for your interpreter, or are you just tinkering?

it's a scripting engine for an RPG

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/1160797268007694337?s=20

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

c++ vs rust wars are starting to break out at my work, and both sides are insufferable

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Luigi Thirty posted:

it's a scripting engine for an RPG

sounds like a good fit; raw speed probably isn't that sensitive, but compact bytecode is useful on a ram-limited platform.

do you have an inner interpreter, or is it just a "static" forth?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Internet Janitor posted:

sounds like a good fit; raw speed probably isn't that sensitive, but compact bytecode is useful on a ram-limited platform.

do you have an inner interpreter, or is it just a "static" forth?

it’s fully static, I have a predetermined vocabulary and symbol table

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Helicity posted:

c++ vs rust wars are starting to break out at my work, and both sides are insufferable

i can imagine everyone involved in this and i can't tolerate any of them

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

animist posted:

i can imagine everyone involved in this and i can't tolerate any of them

the footgun control lobby vs the evangelism strike force

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

c++ would be the footgun advocacy lobby. just obey these 12 simple footgun safety rules and you have nothing to worry about

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
National RAII Association

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

eschaton posted:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

eschaton posted:

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

eschaton posted:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

eschaton posted:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

eschaton posted:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
out of my cold dead feet

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

eschaton posted:

lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

Unsafe languages don't kill people, programmers kill people.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

eschaton posted:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

eschaton posted: