Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Flight is good is you have bad spatial awareness and aren't playing with a controller. It's easy to use and makes accessing collectables mostly painless. It's also the slowest of all the movesets in combat and the second slowest in travel mode, so if you GOTTA GO FAST, it's not ideal. It's also a royal pain in the rear end when you get knocked out of it while flying and start falling all over the place, but it's also the easiest to toggle back on since you can just hold the jump button.

Acrobatics has the best escapes in world PvP and just PvP in general... it's hard as hell to keep track of Acrobats, plus they look awesome while ziplining around and such. They also get a rocket glide which is actually a MORE controlled flight and the hands down best movement power for searching rooftops/areas for exobits or collectables, by far. Just rocket glide and then turn your camera down as you fly over an area. Thing to note is that it has the hardest high level races, by far, so if you're a completionist and aren't up to the task, you might try something else. Status attacks and interrupts that can knock you out of movement mode can be annoying since there's no obvious visual cue you're in movement mode with Acrobatics, so you have to keep an eye on that little gem next to your healthbar sometimes, but that's a minor issue for most.

Super-Speed is hands down the fastest way to get around, and rightly so because it's, you know, speed. It's one of the most fun sets to use for traversing cities simply because you can fly off of buildings at high speed and basically throw yourself halfway across the city. You can also have lots of fun with lampposts. Thing is, by the same token, it's probably the hardest to control in tight spaces because you stick to EVERY surface and are moving stupidly fast, and sometimes your forward-backward controls invert on ceilings and make things flip out. Also, never use the Speed Force travel mode if you plan to go upside down, it will always make the camera lose its poo poo. That said, it's the fastest movement mode in combat by a HUGE margin, so it's really good for tanks or even healers because you can zip around a fight and get close to whoever you need to be close to. Sometimes it can be tricky getting to certain collectables, and in general unless you already know where the collectables are, if they're hidden away in weird places, as they tend to be on Alert maps, you probably won't find them on chance. That said, it's hard to beat zooming ahead in some of the lower level alerts and literally clearing out entire areas by yourself before everyone else catches up, then standing around with a smug, "oh, were you guys coming to help? Thanks anyway." expression on your face. :colbert:

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Fuzz posted:

They also get a rocket glide which is actually a MORE controlled flight and the hands down best movement power for searching rooftops/areas for exobits or collectables, by far. Just rocket glide and then turn your camera down as you fly over an area.

You can do the exact same thing with Flight. Hold down space bar and point the camera straight down. Now you're flying 'up' which is parallel to the ground and looking straight down at all the goodies. You can also stop and hover, something you can't do with the acro-rocket. :colbert:

Also I would probably say Acrobatics feels like it's the most mobile in active combat. 'Combat flight' is actually slower than running and Super Speed almost totally shut off in combat (you move slightly faster than a run) while Acrobatics gets the same slighty-faster speed AND IIRC you can still use ziplines and stuff in combat.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I think I've figured out how to reconcile the fact that I really enjoy my Green Lantern, yet I want to play with goons and most seem to play villains - I'm going to start a Yellow Lantern. :haw:

Thinking about going two-handed with him, a big honking axe certainly inspires fear...

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

WarLocke posted:

I think I've figured out how to reconcile the fact that I really enjoy my Green Lantern, yet I want to play with goons and most seem to play villains - I'm going to start a Yellow Lantern. :haw:

Thinking about going two-handed with him, a big honking axe certainly inspires fear...

Plus you can use the gold aura to actually look glowy. :iamafag:

Personally I'd say you should go one-handed, dual wield, or MA, simply because those have really good Controller passives... +Vitalization and Dominance are nice.

I hope you realize this means you have to buy the Yellow Weapon Style pack now, too!

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010
I used to play on the PS3 until my PS3 died, back when electricity was new. About a month ago, I decided to install the PC version, but my only level 30 is a quantum hero, and my villains are level 10 and 4.

I recently remade my old villain character, Disco Lightning, and started an ice-based character named Forum Crusader (who wields a katana, of course) after finding a chrome knight set in the marketplace.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Fuzz posted:

I hope you realize this means you have to buy the Yellow Weapon Style pack now, too!

Already done! And the Yellow Energy Staff is actually this wicked polearm thing. :neckbeard:

What can I say, I love staff. So all you dudes add Kohra Vas to your friends lists.

e: I also went with Joker as my mentor because who else would you gravitate to if you're fueled by fear? :black101:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 12, 2013

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Any of you guys play late at night? This is around the time I'm usually able to get on but the Steam group is always empty at this hour.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

ArchRanger posted:

Any of you guys play late at night? This is around the time I'm usually able to get on but the Steam group is always empty at this hour.

I'm not actually in the Steam group; I should fix that. But I'm in the game as of this post.

Ajax
Mar 16, 2004

Aunt Petunia's Girdle!
What's happening?

ArchRanger posted:

I'm in New Zealand so usually on around the time of this post. In the steam group, hassle me if you see me on there.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I'm working nights until this weekend, but I'll be on in the evenings EST starting next week.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

ArchRanger posted:

Wait, what do you mean it's always empty? Is... is there some function of steam groups I never loving got beyond being in it?

wait

is this the entire reason I never got more than one game of Sonic Racing after joining that group months ago

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

WarLocke posted:

Already done! And the Yellow Energy Staff is actually this wicked polearm thing. :neckbeard:

What can I say, I love staff. So all you dudes add Kohra Vas to your friends lists.

e: I also went with Joker as my mentor because who else would you gravitate to if you're fueled by fear? :black101:

Go with whatever you want for the first thirty levels. The best weapon for higher hard light controllers is probably brawling because it has a better multiplier for power over time on your combos. Though I'd you're going to be using your weapon a lot more than I do it's good to use whatever you're more comfortable with.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

mastajake posted:

Go with whatever you want for the first thirty levels. The best weapon for higher hard light controllers is probably brawling because it has a better multiplier for power over time on your combos. Though I'd you're going to be using your weapon a lot more than I do it's good to use whatever you're more comfortable with.

Depending on how much you value your SP, you might want to look at what your roles stats are, and pick a weapon that has bonuses to those stats. +7 vitalization can count for alot for a controllers PoT, and I assume that healer abilities get a very similar boost from restoration.

If you check out the roles here: http://dcuniverseonline.wikia.com/wiki/Role you will see a list of what weapons have bonuses that help your role.

On the other hand, its only 1 point that you HAVE to spend on your base weapon, so it won't exactly gimp your character beyond recovery.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Just hit 30 on my Ice Tank. Still haven't decided which character to main... I enjoy my healer here and there, haven't actually tried any tanking out yet, and still want to futz around with my Quantum guy some more, because Controllers are pretty fun.

Decisions, decisions.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Fuzz posted:

Just hit 30 on my Ice Tank. Still haven't decided which character to main... I enjoy my healer here and there, haven't actually tried any tanking out yet, and still want to futz around with my Quantum guy some more, because Controllers are pretty fun.

Decisions, decisions.

Yeah I've been having a tough time deciding if I want to continue being a battery on my mental controller or play something else. So I did what anyone would do and created a character for every single power! 5 Heroes and 7 villains.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Fuzz posted:

Decisions, decisions.

Remember, controllers are pretty much power batteries first and anything else second, so if you don't enjoy healing those blue bars, you probably don't want to use one as your main.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

tallian posted:

Remember, controllers are pretty much power batteries first and anything else second, so if you don't enjoy healing those blue bars, you probably don't want to use one as your main.

Well I enjoy Healing with my Lightning guy, and normally I hate playing a healer type... in this it's fun because there's no targeted healing and you still melee the poo poo out of dudes and are in the thick of it, so it's drat fun. Controller could be even more fun because you retain your damage but also boost energy, plus Quantum just gets a lot of cool powers... might actually make a flying quantum guy and style him around the Mecha wings I bought a couple years ago.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

That's how I view Controllers... Yeah I am the Blue Bar Healer but it's not like I'm standing around waiting for the bar to drop so I can heal it. I'm blasting poo poo left and right and meleeing and flipping like a ninja and then pop there goes a Blue Bar Heal and BAM there goes the Power-Over-Time...

I guess what I'm saying is that Controllers do everything the DPS does and they also help the rest of the team. :c00lbert:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Yeah, as much as Controllers' main role is "keep the blue flowing", they tend to get skills that are a lot more action-heavy instead of the still-needing-rebalance stuff Healers might end up with.

I'm totally not bitter that as of this past week people have begun kicking from raids for not being one of the "good" healer powersets or anything.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I still don't understand how/why the game has such a toxic community? I would consider it might be all the Ps3 console warriors, but that would only apply to the forums, the game itself is segregated IIRC.

And yet I see people /shouting for 97+ CRs for a raid that requires (IIRC) 84.

What's the 'bad' healing set(s)?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Yeah, as much as Controllers' main role is "keep the blue flowing", they tend to get skills that are a lot more action-heavy instead of the still-needing-rebalance stuff Healers might end up with.

I'm totally not bitter that as of this past week people have begun kicking from raids for not being one of the "good" healer powersets or anything.

What are the "good" healing powersets, anyway? Seems like all the PvP videos have Sorcery healers, and I rarely see any Electric healers. Personally I think Electric healing is by far the most fun since you have to be in there with the group, fighting alongside them. Problem is that the whole group needs to stay close, as well, since all your powers are sort of AoE based and if people get out of range, they not only won't get healed but stuff like Galvanize will actually heal everyone for less because they're a fuckup.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
As far as I can tell, there's a weird movement (that's just begun?) which basically goes "if you're a Nature healer, go gently caress yourself", and PvE sometimes kick Sorc healers for ???. The big problem is that Elec is basically "idiot mode" so they blame other people if you're a bad healer, and right now Celestial's the new hotness.

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick
I have a 30 on the hero side that I'm working on getting to Tier 3, but I've rolled a few alt villains to be able to play with some of ya'll. Right now I'm digging my Elec 2H but I'm working on a Celest Shield as well, though I might scrap that and work on something different like an Ice tank. I'm just sick of constantly getting groups with only Damage or Controller so I kinda wanna try Tank for the hell of it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Kenshirou posted:

I have a 30 on the hero side that I'm working on getting to Tier 3, but I've rolled a few alt villains to be able to play with some of ya'll. Right now I'm digging my Elec 2H but I'm working on a Celest Shield as well, though I might scrap that and work on something different like an Ice tank. I'm just sick of constantly getting groups with only Damage or Controller so I kinda wanna try Tank for the hell of it.

Ice is fun as poo poo.

Basically, the Tank powers break down like this:

Fire - Lots of ranged attacks, really high damage output if you go DPS because it has a lot of DoTs. Tanking revolves around self-heals and regenerating your own health. Self-sufficient, but not very tanky for group stuff.

Ice - Tanky as all gently caress, the vast majority of the set revolves around either rooting enemies or mitigating damage by either boosting your armor or straight up reflecting damage back at enemies. drat fun because even in DPS mode you can jump into huge groups of guys and just wreck house and walk away from it.

Earth - Focuses on knocking enemies down/around and either summoning pets to tank damage for the group or for you to transfer damage from the weakest member to yourself, which oyu can then just dump onto your pet. I haven't played one, but it seems to have the most "staring at health bars" type tank play, as you sort of shift health and armor around and mostly try to keep enemies off of their feet to prevent damage. Seismic has a cool Aftershock feature where you basically chain melee attacks off of powers to charge them up and boost their effects... overall I'd say it's the most interesting thing about the set, since there's one armor power that can make you nigh invincible if you do it right.

Overall I prefer Ice, and it seems to be the most popular... it's probably the easiest to do well with, and it just looks loving cool, to boot.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 13, 2013

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick
Yeah general consensus on the forums recently was gently caress EVERYTHING BUT ICE but I hosed around with Earth a while back and it's pretty fun in my experience. I heard on T5 you can't really tank with Fire because of how it works but that might just be the forums being lovely. Is Fire DPS viable vs Hard Light etc? Maybe I'll do that and see how it goes later on, switching to DPS if I can't Tank very well on it.

I kinda wanna try Nature but man so much hate on the forums too. I really don't understand why this community is so lame but in-game I've never had any issues outside of people being dumb occasionally.

Ajax
Mar 16, 2004

Aunt Petunia's Girdle!
What's happening?
Anyone with invite privs on able to throw an invite to Allegedly? Celestial Shield :getin:
e: Should say, to Goon Limited.

Ajax fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 13, 2013

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Kenshirou posted:

Yeah general consensus on the forums recently was gently caress EVERYTHING BUT ICE

I might be talking out my rear end because I've never done any of the late-game raiding stuff, but seriously, gently caress the forums. If you go by them unless you're using the 'best' powerset with this particular loadout you're a bad player and playing the game wrong. Now granted there are some abilities that are more situational than others, or ones that could use a little buff or whatnot, but gently caress the whole 'you play cookie cutter or you're bad' mindset.

Also apparently the next update is on the test server:

https://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/next-on-pc-test-game-update-30.172034/

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 13, 2013

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I can't decide on one handed vs dual wield vs staff. Staff is just a pity option because Controller. One handed is pretty fun and hits hard, but I've never tried out dual wield... is it basically the same?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Staff is just a pity option because Controller.

Que?

My Controller uses Staff... :(

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

WarLocke posted:

That's how I view Controllers... Yeah I am the Blue Bar Healer but it's not like I'm standing around waiting for the bar to drop so I can heal it. I'm blasting poo poo left and right and meleeing and flipping like a ninja and then pop there goes a Blue Bar Heal and BAM there goes the Power-Over-Time...

I guess what I'm saying is that Controllers do everything the DPS does and they also help the rest of the team. :c00lbert:

Quantum is wonderful since your PoT is also your 2x stun power. I fly around spamming that, shooting people with dual pistols, and popping out my direct power heal with the party needs it, adding time bomb for its debuff vs bosses when I can fit it in.

Sadly, vs bosses I am always so tapped out from keeping the healer and take powered that I don't have power for anything but my PoT left over.

Ajax
Mar 16, 2004

Aunt Petunia's Girdle!
What's happening?
Celestial is just :catstare:.

I'm only level 12, but stuff I had to actually think about as Quantum, I just mow straight through. It's a very powerful set.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Ajax posted:

Celestial is just :catstare:.

I'm only level 12, but stuff I had to actually think about as Quantum, I just mow straight through. It's a very powerful set.

God damnit, I have to stop character hopping. Will resist buying SoT... :negative:

Have you played Light? If so how would you compare Celestial to it (in terms of 'mowing through stuff other characters have to think about')?

Ajax
Mar 16, 2004

Aunt Petunia's Girdle!
What's happening?
I played Light to 30 on a hero, and my low-level opinion is that Light has better power management through their combos, I tend to blow my power wad rather quickly as Celestial. In terms of making stuff dead faster, I would give Celestial a slight edge over light, with everything else I've tried noticeably slower.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I dunno, I'm blowing through stuff with my Quantum guy thus far. The fact that his holds double as his PoT means he literally never runs out of power. Ever.

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick
Since I'm getting a PS4 I figured I'd roll a dude on the PS3 since the servers will be the same (sucks that PC still won't be compatible) and went for a Gadgets MA Acro char and I'm having a blast. I never really messed with Controller outside of my Light, which I play as DPS anyways. Made a Fire SH last night for PC and so far I'm liking how fast stuff dies, but I'm wondering how this stuff scales later on.

Character hopping is definitely an issue for me in this game but I never get bored leveling alts, so it's all good.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

the whole reason i havent played a quantum yet is i dont know if i should be a hero or villain and i dont want to waste the name i have parked .___.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I love how the red barrel feas go to 250 but the orange barrel ones go to (at least) 1,000. :argh:

Also, did an Area 51 and not only had 65k power out but did the most damage too. Go Light?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

WarLocke posted:

I love how the red barrel feas go to 250 but the orange barrel ones go to (at least) 1,000. :argh:

Thankfully? 1000 is the final one. I was so loving worried about that same thing before I got it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Thankfully? 1000 is the final one. I was so loving worried about that same thing before I got it.

I did 500 in Area 51 but then I was like 'gently caress this'. I'll probably go back at some point (still need the speed feat) and finish it. :negative:

Although now that I have my basic skill points set out (1 point in each weapon so I can get styles, Staff combos filled out, Flight resistance/breakout stuff done) I have to figure out where to start putting them as far as the stat-boost options go. I guess I get Vitalization and Dominance first? Then maybe Defense and Precision?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Best place to grind red barrels used to be the area in Metropolis with the Helicopters in Historic District near the Power Girl bounty. There's about 15 red barrels near a green ? that respawn within a min or so. Queue some pvp and splat them every time you come back.

Also the quest 'Don't stop' in central city is loving impossible on PS3. Due to how it handles fading NPCs it's just HORRIBLE.

• Locked thread