Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Is Facebook some sort of bastion of personal privacy now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

A rhetorical question, more or less. :v:

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
For the record, Malheur County is one of the many that has opted out of legal marijuana, so these guys are gonna get super bored out there.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Al! posted:

Is Facebook some sort of bastion of personal privacy now?

I like the way the Idiots on Social Media thread handles it...

Posted on private page or to friends only = blur out names and info
Posted on public page = gently caress em

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Abner Cadaver II posted:

For the record, Malheur County is one of the many that has opted out of legal marijuana, so these guys are gonna get super bored out there.

They've opted out of selling it, and the NWR is in Harney County, not Malheur.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Harney County and most of rural eastern Oregon, Oman Regan's twitter has a lot of good information for outsiders: https://twitter.com/OmanReagan/

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Abner Cadaver II posted:

Maybe do the Russian theater tactic of smoking them out with gas, but with weed vapor instead of anesthesia that kills them in excess. Desperate times call for desperate measures!

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I wish I lived in Oregon and had a drone. Paint "Federil Gubbermint" on the side and swoop by their windows. Think of it like an "enrichment activity" at the local zoo, like when they give a big cardboard box to a tiger and let him play around with it. Maybe a silhouette of a federal agent on a string and wheels, and drag it around the outside of the compound for a bit, too.

It'll keep them entertained and tucker 'em out, then they'll head home.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Brian Beutler retweeted that FB screen without blurring anything out so presumably it's okay.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

I like the way the Idiots on Social Media thread handles it...

Posted on private page or to friends only = blur out names and info
Posted on public page = gently caress em

Well yeah I'm sure some goonlord has posted his IDIOT GRANDMA's personal information because she reposted an article about violent video games or whatever but that clearly appears to be a public post on either theirs or the terrorist's Facebook page. That's the whole good thing about Facebook, people publicly shame themselves.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
You can't have marijuana, medical or otherwise, in a national wildlife refuge regardless of the states law on the subject. Which is relevant because these guys are obviously conscientious law followers.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
If these dudes smoked weed they'd have realized this was dumb as hell. Guaranteed they're enforcing what they think of as martial discipline. You think general Moroni (man, the mormons would be way cooler if they'd get rid of the Jesus fanfic and just be their own cult, they've been around long enough they could swing it) is going to let his troops drink? They'll be lucky if he's stretching the prohibition on coffee.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Peztopiary posted:

If these dudes smoked weed they'd have realized this was dumb as hell. Guaranteed they're enforcing what they think of as martial discipline. You think general Moroni (man, the mormons would be way cooler if they'd get rid of the Jesus fanfic and just be their own cult, they've been around long enough they could swing it) is going to let his troops drink? They'll be lucky if he's stretching the prohibition on coffee.

"What if, you know, like *long, gurgling bong rip* we are the government, man. Whoa. Blows my mind."

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

These are the actions of men who drink light beer instead of water. Which, ironically probably puts them closer to the mentality of our founding fathers. Our drunk, slaveholding founding fathers.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
“You can’t be lawless. We live in a republic. There are ways to change the laws of this country and the policies. If we get frustrated with it, that’s why we have elections. That’s why we have people we can hold accountable.” ~ Marco Rubio

Of course, the election system is pretty useless if the guy you elect doesn't actually show up to do his job...

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Joementum posted:

Of course, the election system is pretty useless if the guy you elect doesn't actually show up to do his job...

Hey, you voted for less government, you got it. :smug:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

E: actually, now that I think about it, could you be tried for treason under the "giving Aid and Comfort" clause, if, say, you were a doctor with Doctor Without Borders and gave medical aid to a member of the Taliban/al-Qaeda/ISIS/etc? This is an actual question, not a rhetorical one.

As someone with zero credentials, I'd say yes in theory. Especially since we've got that whole nebulous 'enemy combatant' thing.
They haven't gone after an NGO on the up-and-up, especially one as well respected as MSF but one of the Homeland security stings/Americans convicted of attempting to aid the Iraqi insurgents was a doctor who was going to fly over to provide medical aid.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafiq_Abdus_Sabir

Also, Samuel Mudd was sentenced to life in prison for treating John Wilkes Booth.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

:siren:MAYDAY SEND CASHEWS AND RED BULL:siren:

They didn't prepare at all did they? He's got his Magical Totem Pocket Constitution but forgot to pack socks, food, "gear" or even adequate clothing. Their soldier costume camo outfits don't even match the terrain they're occupying.

Why am I not surprised at all that he's an energy drink guy.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Oregon in winter may be cold. I am not sure they thought this through.

Did they ever manage to get a fire going?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/jasonnobleDMR/status/684048491446861824

seems cruz isnt with them. he doesnt believe people should take up arms against the goverment. could have fooled me.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Rhesus Pieces posted:

They didn't prepare at all did they? He's got his Magical Totem Pocket Constitution but forgot to pack socks, food, "gear" or even adequate clothing. Their soldier costume camo outfits don't even match the terrain they're occupying.

The cold is shocking him out of his manic episode quicker than expected.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
:laffo: "snow camo"

Militia dude: You'll never find us, copper! We're spread out all over this sagebrush desert!

FBI agent: OK, have fun sitting out there.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

They have plenty of ammo and Chef Boyardee though!

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
Remember: they're gonna be here for YEARS and this was NOT LAST MINUTE.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Just one gear though, not lots of gears.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Coolness Averted posted:

Also, Samuel Mudd was sentenced to life in prison for treating John Wilkes Booth.

Did the Union actually consider the Confederacy a foreign nation though? I thought Lincoln and the Union refused to recognize the legitimacy/sovereignty of the Confederacy at all during the Civil War.

E: fixed phone typo

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 4, 2016

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

And all the brackish, alkaline water they can drink.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Joementum posted:

:laffo: "snow camo"

Militia dude: You'll never find us, copper! We're spread out all over this sagebrush desert!

FBI agent: OK, have fun sitting out there.

they know cop/fbi/military choppers/ scanners/apcs have infrared/thermal vision right?

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Did the Union actually consider the Confederacy a foreign nation though? I thought Lincoln and the Union refused to recognize the legitimacy/sovereignty of the Confwderacy at all during the Civil War.

They never legally did, but the nature of the war forced the Union into actions (mainly the blockade) that meant we were de facto treating the Confederacy as a foreign nation.

Also the doctor who treated Booth deserved it because he was probably in on the whole thing from the beginning when it was still a kidnapping plot.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Is this level of buffoonery typical for these militia groups? I'm just an effete big city liberal and I could put up a better anti-government resistance than this.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

I think I would have more of an effect on the Federal Government by not filing my tax return until the last minute than these guys are going to have.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

MaxxBot posted:

Is this level of buffoonery typical for these militia groups? I'm just an effete big city liberal and I could put up a better anti-government resistance than this.

If you only knew the level of buffoonery in the real military...

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Did the Union actually consider the Confederacy a foreign nation though? I thought Lincoln and the Union refused to recognize the legitimacy/sovereignty of the Confederacy at all during the Civil War.

wouldn't have mattered if they did or not since lincoln was shot by booth, a civilian

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Wait, are postal services still delivering out there? What's that website for sending literal poo poo to people? I think instead of touching the poop we should be sending them poop.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Rhesus Pieces posted:

This should be a new sitcom or TLC reality show set to the theme of Yakety Sax.

"Up the Boonies Without a Paddle"?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MaxxBot posted:

Yes, it is. I'm much more worried about one to three far-right nutjobs pulling a mass shooting or bombing than any sort of militia uprising.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Thump! posted:

Wait, are postal services still delivering out there? What's that website for sending literal poo poo to people? I think instead of touching the poop we should be sending them poop.

http://www.ruindays.com/products/smelly-poop-in-a-box?variant=1110555784

It even comes in a glitter option! :v:

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Nice! They even have the "Bag of Dicks" option if one wanted to fulfill their request for food and ignite their anger over the Gay Agenda!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

wouldn't have mattered if they did or not since lincoln was shot by booth, a civilian

Yes, a local citizen aiding a foreign nation to attack the government. The 'foreign nation' part is the dispute.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Thump! posted:

Presumably they'll have a mailing address for their deliveries of vital Monster and Bud Lite supplies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Abner Cadaver II posted:

They never legally did, but the nature of the war forced the Union into actions (mainly the blockade) that meant we were de facto treating the Confederacy as a foreign nation.

Also the doctor who treated Booth deserved it because he was probably in on the whole thing from the beginning when it was still a kidnapping plot.

Yeah the Civil War was kinda weird in terms of they couldn't acknowledge the Confederacy as a separate state, but still did things like military trials rather than civilian court and then military custody for the conspirators for their sentences.

Despite Mudd's family trying to rehabilitate his name, the dude totally provided comfort and aid. He could've just as easily set the leg and sent one of his kids to go tell the authorities if he was just doing his job as a doctor. How involved he was in the conspiracy is moot considering how he acted.

It's funny that this tangent is still totally on topic given how many of these militia hicks fetishize the Confederacy.

• Locked thread