Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

romanowski posted:

loving the game overall but this is my biggest issue with it so far. I'm not sure I remember contact damage even being a thing in the first game? maybe it was but I never got huge chunks of health taken off from occupying the same space as an enemy after successfully blocking their attack

Contact damage was a thing in the first one too, but it wasn't quite as much. Also yeah is there any best order or any times missions you can gently caress up on accident like in Blasphemous 1 with the spices or Gemino? As for the enemies and ambience, they've been cool as hell and it's a different feel and vibe, but I do agree that it's missing something from the first game though I do like the new animated style a good bit and I WAS super stoked to see Mother of Mothers again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

romanowski posted:

loving the game overall but this is my biggest issue with it so far. I'm not sure I remember contact damage even being a thing in the first game? maybe it was but I never got huge chunks of health taken off from occupying the same space as an enemy after successfully blocking their attack

Yeah all the platforming jank from the original is gone which is great, but it feels like the jank was just relocated to enemy contact damage/how the deflect mechanic interacts with it

Successfully blocking any of the attacks that can't be countered where the enemy moves forward is actively worse than just jumping over them because your invincibility wears off while you're still in contact with them, the sarmiento & centella counter can move you forward inside of contact damage, I've inexplicably taken contact damage while I'm currently in the counter frames, it's all unreliable. really annoying because it's my main weapon and gets a big buff for countering (which otherwise takes 10+ hits to activate) but you lose the buff the moment you take damage. really simple enemies like the candle skeletons can actually gently caress you up if you try to get your buff by deflecting them. Hopefully they improve this like they did with the first game's platforming but right now the least frustrating way to play is probably just to use veredicto and bonk things

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Owl Inspector posted:

Yeah all the platforming jank from the original is gone which is great, but it feels like the jank was just relocated to enemy contact damage/how the deflect mechanic interacts with it

Successfully blocking any of the attacks that can't be countered where the enemy moves forward is actively worse than just jumping over them because your invincibility wears off while you're still in contact with them, the sarmiento & centella counter can move you forward inside of contact damage, I've inexplicably taken contact damage while I'm currently in the counter frames, it's all unreliable. really annoying because it's my main weapon and gets a big buff for countering (which otherwise takes 10+ hits to activate) but you lose the buff the moment you take damage. really simple enemies like the candle skeletons can actually gently caress you up if you try to get your buff by deflecting them. Hopefully they improve this like they did with the first game's platforming but right now the least frustrating way to play is probably just to use veredicto and bonk things

There are ways to reduce the charge you lose but yeah Veredicto is far and away the best weapon because it gas none of those issues and tons of great resonances

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I've hit what feels like a bit of a brick wall in 2, I've beaten the first 3 bosses it tells you to go do and also one way down underground and then gone into the area that unlocks after you beat those three bosses and that area is absolutely loving me up, the basic enemies there hit me for half my health even with the physical resist rosary on, the big knight enemies seem to one shot me sometimes and then as I got deeper into the area in the one direction I can go in I got locked into a room where I had to fight waves of enemies with the final one being this lady on a couch being carried by skeletons while she zapped lightning at me and again, those were hitting me for a fuckload of damage. Everything apart from the Veredicto feels like it's tickling them in terms of damage as well whereas prior to this I could switch and deal with stuff mostly with whichever I felt like using.

It feels like it's gone from way too easy for the entirety of the game so far to gently caress you difficulty and there's no grinding I can do or anything either. Is this just a little hump or is the rest of the game gonna be this basically?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Lol wtf is the deal with this hand that wants you to kiss him

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

goblin week posted:

Those loving skeletons with a firestick account for like 80% of my deaths

the best is how there is an even more annoying version of them later on

(same with those floating skulls in a box)

ZeeBoi fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 26, 2023

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

ZeeBoi posted:

the best is how there is an even more annoying version of them later on

(same with those floating skulls in a box)

Have you seen the shape of the candelabra enemy's skull??? it is different from the previous game

bigger sprite size i think... better resolution

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

skasion posted:

I think that's the fervour upgrade thing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Is the "chime of the twisted one" spell bugged or am I missing something about how it's supposed to work? it does 1 damage.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
It is a lot easier to get stunlocked in a corner in this game. Damage seems really random, sometimes contact will barely take health off, other times it takes over half my health

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Just got the level 2 upgrade for the Verdicto :cool:

Drunken_Pirate
May 7, 2007

ilmucche posted:

It is a lot easier to get stunlocked in a corner in this game. Damage seems really random, sometimes contact will barely take health off, other times it takes over half my health

This really annoyed me in the early game but gets way better once you unlock some upgrades maybe 4-5 hours in.

Moskau
Feb 17, 2011

HEY GUYS DON'T YOU LOVE ANIME?! I LOVE ANIME SO MUCH ESPECIALLY ALL THE PANTY SHOTS AND FAN SERVICE AND MOE MOE MOE! I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH!

Owl Inspector posted:

Is the "chime of the twisted one" spell bugged or am I missing something about how it's supposed to work? it does 1 damage.

it has a specific function in triggering some collectibles, it's not for combat

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Sentinel of the Emery has been my favourite boss enemy so far. The moveset he has, the general vibe (with the music building up), it all was great.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

And finally, a double jump ability :newlol:

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

ilmucche posted:

Yeah I'm noticing this. You pretty much have nagative poise and get smacked around by gusts of wind. Also, those giant dudes with the lightning/poison hammers can eat poo poo. Can block them or dodge behind them that I've noticed.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

doomrider7 posted:

Yeah I'm noticing this. You pretty much have nagative poise and get smacked around by gusts of wind. Also, those giant dudes with the lightning/poison hammers can eat poo poo. Can block them or dodge behind them that I've noticed.

I'm at the point where I skip past them. Some enemies aren't worth fighting.

A few fewer lock-in rooms with multiple enemies would be nice. The wombo combos get old fast.

Game is drat good though. The mace is good and the other two weapons are purely for navigation

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ilmucche posted:

Game is drat good though. The mace is good and the other two weapons are purely for navigation

I unlocked the 4 hit combo ender for the rapier which adds a tiny bit more DPS, except it locks you in place for twice as long during which you cannot dodge, and unlike the swings leading up to it you also can't cancel it for a deflect so there's now a trap hiding in the weapon's normal attack combo. The weapon's default attack does great DPS when you have the lightning buffs up, and everything else about it feels like it just exists to trick you into losing that buff

Steam stats for the "kill 300 enemies with weapon" achievements are at 43.5% for veredicto, 40.2% for ruego al alba, and 27.8% for sarmiento & centella lol

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

ilmucche posted:

I'm at the point where I skip past them. Some enemies aren't worth fighting.

A few fewer lock-in rooms with multiple enemies would be nice. The wombo combos get old fast.

What navigation ability does the machete have? Just got the mace and aside from the lack of block counter, it's legit dope as gently caress.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm going to quote myself from the PS5 thread here:

Is anyone else feeling this way? Like I'm enjoying it but it feels a lot more Generic Metroidvania.

Unpopular opinion but after watching Vinny’s first stream I have to agree with this post. The game isn’t as interesting now.

Blasphemous got really weird. A world centered around holy suffering and punishment being a landscape of bizarre pseudo-religious body horror dreamt up by a mentally ill El Greco is buck fuckin’ wild and that’s what set it apart from every Metroidvania roguelike. Skeleton goat pietas, floating pope chairs jabbing spears at you, saintly corpses covered in molten gold, and miracles of twisted flesh and tree branches make for a powerful allegory, blunt as it is.

In contrast, this game feels very sterile and uncreative. It doesn’t pull nearly as often or as closely from its sources and inspirations, and when it does it’s phoned in. It seems almost afraid to depict its intended subject in any sort of negative, uncomfortable, or critical light. It’s very secular, ironically enough, and that kinda defeats the purpose.

The grotesquerie of the first game is a veil-ripping that cuts to the heart of what’s so weirdly hosed up about its real world equivalent. Maybe this is the fallout from my upbringing talking, but that’s why I liked the game in the first place. It had something to say and spared no expense in getting its point across. I was hoping for more “what the gently caress” moments - the last DLC even had a good few of those! - but so far nothing.

Blasphemous II just doesn’t feel blasphemous enough.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

doomrider7 posted:

What navigation ability does the machete have? Just got the mace and aside from the lack of block counter, it's legit dope as gently caress.

It destroys those walls/floors of people but you need to do it from a great height.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

ZeeBoi posted:

It destroys those walls/floors of people but you need to do it from a great height.

Well poo poo. I've passed a bunch and did nothing to them. Gonna have to backtrack a good bit now. What about the trees of people blocking my path? Also, HP upgrade is where?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Unpopular opinion but after watching Vinny’s first stream I have to agree with this post. The game isn’t as interesting now.

Blasphemous got really weird. A world centered around holy suffering and punishment being a landscape of bizarre pseudo-religious body horror dreamt up by a mentally ill El Greco is buck fuckin’ wild and that’s what set it apart from every Metroidvania roguelike. Skeleton goat pietas, floating pope chairs jabbing spears at you, saintly corpses covered in molten gold, and miracles of twisted flesh and tree branches make for a powerful allegory, blunt as it is.

In contrast, this game feels very sterile and uncreative. It doesn’t pull nearly as often or as closely from its sources and inspirations, and when it does it’s phoned in. It seems almost afraid to depict its intended subject in any sort of negative, uncomfortable, or critical light. It’s very secular, ironically enough, and that kinda defeats the purpose.

The grotesquerie of the first game is a veil-ripping that cuts to the heart of what’s so weirdly hosed up about its real world equivalent. Maybe this is the fallout from my upbringing talking, but that’s why I liked the game in the first place. It had something to say and spared no expense in getting its point across. I was hoping for more “what the gently caress” moments - the last DLC even had a good few of those! - but so far nothing.

Blasphemous II just doesn’t feel blasphemous enough.

It has a few moments (the way the health upgrade lady works is pretty top tier awful) but they're much fewer and far between. Honestly as I was reaching the endgame what occurred to me most is that it basically 'felt' like a Castlevania game instead. And I mean I love Castlevania games so that isn't a huge problem but it's not what really made Blasphemous stand out. It isn't even that the gore is cut down but that a lot of the enemies just kind of feel generic which hurts most of all with the bosses who are almost painfully unmemorable compared to the first. Most of them just feel like Mega Man fighting Cut Man. The world is also just a lot more straightforward. There are fewer weird mysteries or potential rough points or even just unnerving settings.

As far as Not Castlevania Really Metroidvania goes it is good (but not great) but Blasphemous is a way more interesting and unique game. I kind of get the feeling they didn't have any strong ideas for the second game compared to the first.

doomrider7 posted:

Well poo poo. I've passed a bunch and did nothing to them. Gonna have to backtrack a good bit now. What about the trees of people blocking my path? Also, HP upgrade is where?

The trees are destroyed the same way.

HP upgrade is located in the lower-left part of the middle part of the City (the pit area with the warp area/sisters/etc.)

i wouldn't stress about backtracking until you have all the mobility options (or at least all of them besides the golden ring one.) You'll need to backtrack through the areas anyway because collecting all the cherubs is one of the requirements for the true ending.

(That said, uh, the True Ending doesn't change anything except the last cutscene so probably not worth doing either way.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 27, 2023

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
I think the issue is a difference of what the games are going for. Both have the theme of religious horror as well as lots of pain amd suffering and whatnot, but the first one was more about corruption, guilt, and probably greed as well while this one seems to be going for a more tragic feel. I'm still trying to bring the giant statues down so I dunno the whole gist of it, but this one seems to have been brought about by a devout couple really wanting a child. Compare that to the previous hame where The Miracle answers to the guilt of the young man who would become The Twisted One as well as answering again to Escribar's desire for a sign of divinity due to lerceived lack of faith from the populous. I dunno I could be wrong, but that's just my take thus far in the game.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I want another insane boss like the guy carried on hands, or the giant pendulum room. As the poster above says, this game is a lot less weird

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

ilmucche posted:

I want another insane boss like the guy carried on hands, or the giant pendulum room. As the poster above says, this game is a lot less weird

First one is Melchiades(based on a real pope and actual historical burials called Catacomb Saints) and the latter I'm assuming is that room with the paintings where you fight the giant baby. I do agree that there's less hosed up weird poo poo. Maybe they'll do a third one where it comes full circle(detailed animations and quality from 2 with the hosed up horror from 1).

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

skasion posted:

Kiss the hand, skasion.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
The lady that increases your HP and Flasks has a chalice you can add blood into. Does that serve any specific purpose?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've been having fun so far. Cleared first boss (the sand area) which was pretty good in terms of difficulty and now I have all the weapons and been doing some back tracking trying to unlock stuff. If only I was smart enough to mark the various objects (mirrors, wood wall/floor) with different symbols and not just a question mark for every interesting spot...

I have one health upgrade but haven't found a weapon damage upgrade yet. Mostly using the Verdecto (? the hammer) because frankly the AOE just destroys everything. Parry does not feel as useful because with multiple parries enemies inch closer and eventually I'm inside their hitbox, which feels really bad. Also agree that getting stunlocked in a corner is way too easy in this one.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Aug 27, 2023

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

TeaJay posted:

I've been having fun so far. Cleared first boss (the sand area) which was pretty good in terms of difficulty and now I have all the weapons and been doing some back tracking trying to unlock stuff. If only I was smart enough to mark the various objects (mirrors, wood wall/floor) with different symbols and not just a question mark for every interesting spot...

I have one health upgrade but haven't found a weapon damage upgrade yet. Mostly using the Verdecto (? the hammer) because frankly the AOE just destroys everything. Parry does not feel as useful because with multiple parries enemies inch closer and eventually I'm inside their hitbox, which feels really bad. Also agree that getting stunlocked in a corner is way too easy in this one.

A certain boss is gonna need some "Git Gud" on that whole parry thing. I also found a synergy that increases damage on the rapier and even without any upgrades, it's pretty drat good. Not sure if I'd main it, but it's a solid setup.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
I used Veredicto against EVERY boss. Probably only did about five parries the whole game (just to test it out). I did make good use of some of the spells in later fights though.

jasoneatspizza fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 27, 2023

ManaJerk
Dec 11, 2004

An extraordinary moron!
I'm loving it, so far! I made the mistake of starting with Sarmiento y Centella, so everything took forever to kill until I got the censer and the machete. The game looks more colorful than the first, but I can't hold a turn in artistic direction that against it. It's hard as gently caress and I love the music so far. I'm almost 20 hours and just killed the first three bosses, have no idea where to go now so 'ill just keep exploring. As a fan of the first, it's a worthy follow up. And they made enough changes to the formula to feel fresh, such as the fact that falling into spikes is no longer an instakill.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The dual swords are just south of worthless even with damage upgrades. They really, really need a buff. The hammer on the other hand makes the game too easy. I really like the sword, once you activate the blood meter you can tear bosses apart extremely quickly.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Question for my fellow penitents, but are there enough Marks of Martyrdom to upgrade everything?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sarmiento & centella are legitimately very damaging if you can just maintain your buffs. I accidentally went into the boss of the basilica of absent faces without resting at the prie-dieu so I already had some buffs up, and I killed her blind in less than 30 seconds, to the point I was surprised there wasn't a second phase.

however this all depends on buying the buff skills in the first place so anyone who just tries the weapon on the surface won't know about how damaging it can be, and a big issue with the mechanic is that it's greedy and wants you to only use that weapon because you lose all your buffs if you ever switch away from it. Which you very frequently need to do for navigation. that's another perk in veredicto's favor, it doesn't have a buff to lose if you switch off of it.

the other problem is that the weapon's skill tree is full of traps that just make you burn your buffs in exchange for making a single attack more powerful, when the most effective thing you can do with the weapon is just slam the basic attack button with buffs up. I really think the weapon should be reworked so those skills aren't traps and so you don't lose your buffs when switching off of it (the same would be nice for ruego al alba's buff). the weapon also suffers the most from the contact damage/parry jank and I hope the devs can put in some polish there the way they did with the first game's platforming.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Just fought the second boss myself (Orospina) and really liked it, died a few times but that is mostly on myself and learning patterns. Someone a bit more gud can probably ace it very quickly. About to head to the tower now.

Doesn't seem to be all that much where I can backtrack at the moment. I'm gonna need something to use those golden droplets in the air, some kind of wall jump/double jump to reach some places and something to lift/open those big blue weights.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I’m at 58% of the map revealed, four flasks with their size upgraded twice, three fervour bar upgrades, two health bar upgrades, three rosaries, three lamps lit in the nun room (travelling between the altars is so good), double jump, and yeah I’m missing whatever breaks those blue chains and activates the golden sparkles.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Finished the sequel, got around 90% of the items on my own and waded through the garbage AI generated article slurry to find most of the last content I'd missed. despite my gripes with the weapon design I think this is a fantastic sequel, there's better movement, better artwork, I like the new soundtrack a lot, pretty great package all around. still some of the best pixel art in the industry.

as much as I prefer the shift to a vibe that's less oppressively loving miserable and gory all the time, I do think it lands in a weird in-between place that doesn't commit enough to either direction, and it ends up feeling tonally inconsistent. the more fantastical environments like the sunken cathedral and the more melodic soundtrack don't feel like they quite belong in the world of blasphemous 1, but there's still some truly repulsive things like the peeled lady and the blizzard breastmilk thief which mean I couldn't recommend the game to someone looking for a metroidvania without that kind of content. I think they probably should have either focused on a tonally consistent followup to blasphemous 1 or made a new game in a different setting.

I do think there was some missed potential in the world structure. The first half of the game letting you go in 2-3 directions at once based on your starting weapon is a good approach, but the second half mostly just opens up the next area one at a time with a map marker pointing you right at the new area, and that dampens some of the sense of discovery. not a total downer, but I think I prefer how the first game laid out its second half.

Anyway I hope they do some DLC and updates like the first game because it deserves it. going to go back to my blasphemous 1 replay where I was checking out the updates I hadn't gotten around to yet.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

TeaJay posted:

With as little spoilers as possible, what is the recommended progress order with the first three zones? It seems to me I have at least two to choose from (with sword as the starting item).

Top left from the town, aqueduct (censer area), bottom right to the right of Grilles and Ruins area (dueling swords), then top right for the big sword. I actually think you don't have quite as much choice as you think, although I could be wrong about that. Pretty sure you need certain things to get into each area, maybe the first two are interchangeable but the third requires all weapon abilities I believe.

One thing I was wondering: I started with the falchion/main sword. Could I always break those tree barriers with a plunge attack or did I need to get the notice that I could do that first? So many times I skipped over those not knowing how to break them and I was curious about that.

I'm still full falchion stan. It's got power, it's got parry, best of both worlds. Only thing I really really miss is the thrust attack. I do bring out the censer on occasion for enemies that it's super good against but generally it's sword all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Also where is the dueling swords level two upgrade? I've got both the others but never managed to find that one. Feel free to spoiler it if anyone knows