Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

https://store.steampowered.com/app/774361/Blasphemous/

Blasphemous is a metroidvania with pixel graphics and a heavy influence from Dark Souls and a focus on combat and platformi- Wait, where are you going? I swear it's got some new stuff too.

As mentioned, it's yet another hard pixel art metroidvania. So what does it do that's new? For one thing, said pixel art is utterly gorgeous and has an amazingly macabre style which oozes Spanish Catholic guilt from every pore.

While its combat doesn't do anything particularly new, it's meaty while still being fast-paced enough to be entertaining. You unlock a variety of special attacks and spells as you explore, some of which are fairly overpowered. The game is reasonably challenging, but it's also very fair and none of the bosses have been unreasonable so far.

https://i.imgur.com/M3jE34k.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/Onk2z3u.mp4

The game is full of mysteries too, mysterious rooms that you have to figure out how to unlock through cryptic hints, items that you have to divine the function of through exploration and clues, and probably a whole lot of secrets that I am not even remotely aware of.

True to its Dark Souls roots, you know very little going in and most of what you learn is from item flavour text and cryptic dialogue. Something called the Miracle happened, and now all forms of pain and guilt are physically manifested in the world. You are the Penitent One, and you're going out to... uh... fix it? Make it worse? Find out as you play!

https://i.imgur.com/0I8DSbc.mp4

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I was on the fence. The game looks gross to me (obviously not low quality, just gross) but the gameplay is very pleasing. Give it a shot even if pale, bleeding corpses arent your thing. While the game looks all dark souls your character is a bit more capable.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The boss fight I just found is literally (late? game spoiler) the cadaver synod. This game rules.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Played a few hours of this yesterday, it's pretty fun! My only gripe is that the map is pretty lackluster; either more things should have icons or you should be allowed to memo things yourself to come back to later.

Does anyone know what causes your damage to go up? I think it's got to do with unlocking new tiers of your movelist but I'm not certain.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Game is drat good. The sprite art is beautiful, the music is very atmospheric and sets a good tone, and the voice acting is superb for an indie game. The world they've made is interesting and the gameplay is really really solid! I could do with fewer bottomless pits to fall into but it comes with the territory of platformers I suppose.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Finding new Mea Culpa shrines does indeed give you damage as well as unlocking more tiers of your moveset.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Yeah this game is Spanish Catholic Bloodborne-Sekirovania and it loving owns.

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 13, 2019

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos
This game is great. I suck at it but it's fun as hell.

A lot of the discussion surrounding the game's aesthetic is really interesting to me. The grim, gross aesthetic isn't even all that exaggerated from its source. Catholic, and especially Spanish Catholic imagery and history is so drat close to what this game portrays.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

How much of a metroidvania is the game? Like, Hollow Knight and Salt and Sanctuary are the highlights of the soulsy-vania genre, is it that style of exploration and looping back?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I backed this on Kickstarter, but haven't gotten around to starting it yet. I backed it almost solely because of the Spanish Catholic influence on the art. Things like capirotes, and Francisco de Goya's art are very clear influences, and that is completely my jam. Catholic imagery is often used for "creepy religious" stuff, but this particular flavor is not often seen.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Fuligin posted:

How much of a metroidvania is the game? Like, Hollow Knight and Salt and Sanctuary are the highlights of the soulsy-vania genre, is it that style of exploration and looping back?

There's teleportals, unlockable elevators and one-way walls that open into new doors, accessibility upgrades you can find, definitely not the Three Face Statue from Metroid, you go schlepping back around a bit, yeah.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Fuligin posted:

As you progress you get "relics" which you can equip and let you do things like walk through poison gas or access previously invisible/intangible platforms as you explore which lets you access more of the map etc so yeah, pretty drat metroidvania-y.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Just got hit by an extremely nasty bug, all my upgrades to health/MP/damage/healing got wiped. Ouch. Probably just going to restart.

Fuligin posted:

Yes, it’s a metroidvania, map is fairly heavily interconnected.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Fuligin posted:

It's also fairly non-linear, putting you in the world and saying "there's a big door that requires you to do three things, go hog wild" instead of always having one specific destination.

edit: I was fairly worried that there'd only be one final area behind the door and I'd be finished with this game all too quickly but there's several huge areas back there, it seems. This game is fairly packed with content, especially with all the mystery rooms that I'm working on figuring out.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 13, 2019

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
no not again after salt and sanctuary and death's gambit i've been hurt one too many times

god damnit :negative:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Having beaten the game at 98% completion, I want to say that I feel that this game is 1-2 mechanics-polishing/tweaking patches to go from Good to Great. Each rough spot isn't a glaring deal-breaker on its own, but there's a handful.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Anyone on the fence about yet another hard-as-hell platformer should know that you do not lose your Tears of Atonement (the souls equivalent) when you die. In fact you do not lose anything permanently at all when you die, even if you die repeatedly. Instead you leave a little monument at your death spot or the last safe place you touched ground at, and until you go pick it up or otherwise absolve your guilt, your mana bar will have a cap on the end and you will gain fewer tears from killing enemies. In that way it is a bit friendlier than its contemporaries in the Game What Punishes Your Dick And Balls For Fun genre.

edit: It does seem like dying in multiple different places will leave more than one monument with a stacking penalty, though, so priority numbero one-o should be going to pick it up to prevent further penalties. Not a big deal though since you're likely to die while heading somewhere you were going anyway.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 13, 2019

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

There's also a couple ways to recover them if you leave a monument somewhere annoying. There's Confessor statues scattered around unless you break them that let you recover them for a fee that increases with how many you've scattered around, and killing a boss will also recover all them automatically.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
You can break confessors? Does it do anything?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Thanks for the responses all. Looks like i'll be wailing on rotting baby demons tonight to vent my dem debate frustrations

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This game is way more interesting than I expected but man is it reminding me I haven't played a platformer in years.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

skasion posted:

You can break confessors? Does it do anything?

Spoilers of ascending spoileryness.

If you fulfil the right conditions, you get combat arenas from them.

Equip the White Bead for a while, eventually it'll turn into Burden of True Guilt which is required to enter them.

Completing one causes the Thorn you got at the beginning of the game to sprout a bit more, which I think is probably tied to endings.

This is the kind of thing I love about this game. There's weird poo poo to figure out.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Oh right, a mechanic the game doesn't tell you early on: If you hold down the Ranged Attack button, you cut yourself, spending a little HP (and 10 tears of agony) to generate meter.

Sorrowful be the heart, Penitent One.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

Archenteron posted:

Having beaten the game at 98% completion, I want to say that I feel that this game is 1-2 mechanics-polishing/tweaking patches to go from Good to Great. Each rough spot isn't a glaring deal-breaker on its own, but there's a handful.

I haven't beaten it, but I'm fairly certain I'm on one of the final fights, Crisanta, which has been pretty dang difficult so far. I've run into a fair amount of glitches, only a few I've manage to report. I've one shot a decent amount of the bosses but some really stick out as being substantially harder.

As CJacobs said above, there is very little punishment for death compared to other CBT action games. They also give you really easy ways to get rid of all accumulated Guilt.

I also started writing up a thread for this awesome game, but came down with some serious sinus issues. Thanks for making one OP!
I took a few screenshots for it, my favorite being:

I've had some pretty silly glitches, for example you probably thought Mole Men were only in comic books. I was able to hit him with the upgraded down-thrust, get him into execution state, execute him by teleporting into the floor and immediately out after the animation.

NBD just ledge grabbing into walls:

Luckily the game is also super forgiving with quitting out and re-entering. It auto-saves your progress and just dumps you back at the last rest spot you used. This can also be abused for fast travel.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

This stupid relic that chimes whenever there is a "mystery" in the room that I'm in is torturing me.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

This stupid relic that chimes whenever there is a "mystery" in the room that I'm in is torturing me.

If you're in Albero, it's bugged to always ring.

Also ironically i have 98% completion and I can't find that loving relic please tell me, hell, it probably should go into the first post, spoilered, since the map isn't friendly towards secret remembering

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I found a severed hand somewhere in the lategame, and took it to the blessing guy

edit: Can someone confirm or deny if I'm right about this? I don't want more detail, just a yes or no. (in the library area) The three relevant quotes in the room with the anatomy books are "Give up everything" "Be fervent" and "I forbid you to move". So do I need to unequip all my rosaries/prayers/weapon mods, grind up fervor until I'm capped and sit stationary in the room? I

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 13, 2019

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

Archenteron posted:

If you're in Albero, it's bugged to always ring.

Also ironically i have 98% completion and I can't find that loving relic please tell me, hell, it probably should go into the first post, spoilered, since the map isn't friendly towards secret remembering

If I remember correctly the severed hand that turns into the bell you find in the cistern right next to the shrine you can use to buy more potion uses (the blood fountain thing). You have to slide through a little tunnel into a secret room.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

El Cid posted:

If I remember correctly the severed hand that turns into the bell you find in the cistern right next to the shrine you can use to buy more potion uses (the blood fountain thing). You have to slide through a little tunnel into a secret room.

Oh yeah, if you're right about that then you also need the item that makes water not hinder you.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

No Wave posted:

I was on the fence. The game looks gross to me (obviously not low quality, just gross) but the gameplay is very pleasing. Give it a shot even if pale, bleeding corpses arent your thing. While the game looks all dark souls your character is a bit more capable.

This is the only thing keeping me away. I liked bloodborne which is odd as extreme violence usually just makes me really sick but this game just looks... a little too over the top. One of the trailers showed a boss I presume graphically ripping the main character in half and while hell make what you want game creator, knowing there's graphic kill conditions just turned me away.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The over the top gore and weird catholicish imagery is what made me interested in the game so glad the gameplay is pretty good too. I'll put it on my eShop wishlist.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Kissers of wounds come off as genuinely wanting to help those suffering from all the guilt and pain of the soul manifesting as spreading wounds and sores.

There's lore on some quest items that says that the kissers of wounds started after a man suffering from the miracle manifesting wounds and sores all over him was in such pain that Tirso, crying over his suffering, hugged him and kissed his forehead, which visibly ended his agony.

Then a sister, witnessing that his kiss ended the mans pain, took a risk and kissed one of the open sores, and it healed. It even mentions that the sister was risking contagion by doing this.

And so the congregation named itself the kissers of wounds, saving people from the agony of the miracle.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

El Cid posted:

Holy hell I saw that spot early in the game and then could never find it again when I got the accessibility to access it.

And with that, I got my last moonbaby, my last bone, and my last rosary knot.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
lol, one of the remains you can find is that of a isekai protagonist.

Metatarsus of Rikusyo, the Traveller
Almost no details of his background are known, but those who crossed his path claimed later that Rikusyo carried a small, strange, luminous plate that emitted a faint voice.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Archenteron posted:

How long is it? I'll probably be buying it this weekend.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It's definitely a stand-out release so I'm giving it my Game of the Month recommendation.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Most catholic game ive played

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I liked Salt and Sanctuary a lot and didn't like Death's Gambit, where's this fall on that spectrum?

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

After searching and searching for what to do fill in Where The Olive Trees Wither I finally figured out what happened and how I accidentally timelocked myself out of an extra area.

You cannot go to the Charred Visage as your final Wound and do the tree dude quest. Tree dude is already dead and interactions only come back with "No Answer". You won't be able to get the thimble, fill it up, etc, so you are locked out of completing the map and all pickups.

God loving dammit I hate time dependent events in Metroidvanias.

Horheristo already did a sub-2 hour deathless speedrun, and it's heavily un-optimized.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGRWADqaeXI

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Sep 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilikefood
Jun 28, 2008
Thinking of getting this but I'm a little worried about the Dark Souls comparison. How hard is it compared to Hollow Knight?