Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Ai in episode 12: Guess I'll become a Warrior of Eros and fight Thantos

Wonder Egg Episode 13: Guess we'll have talking I guess

And the somewhat interesting idea that people brought back to life are from Parallel Worlds is sabotaged by not going anywhere and really done to just shock us by having Koito being made out to be a horrible person thus ruining the driving force of the earlier episodes

Just garbage and the series as a whole is awful. Feel bad that I probably recommended it in places

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

....no seriously was the show's final word on Koito really just she was crazy and did it for attention and teacher dick, to the point where she's done this multiple times?

....did it actually just loving say that???

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

... I was so taken aback by the Koito/Sawaki stuff that I actually totally glossed over the implication that she had literally already done the same thing with her previous teacher. Fuckin christ.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I really wanted this anime to be good. I honestly did.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Thuryl posted:

I really wanted this anime to be good. I honestly did.

The first six eps were amazing!!! It turns out that they were just all writing a bunch of checks that the show apocalyptically failed to cash!

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

lmao, i expected it to be bad but i did not expect it to end with a cliffhanger for a second season that won't happen. and introduce three more (insane) plot threads while resolving none. if you're reading this and you haven't watched the finale yet, don't

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Spiritus Nox posted:

The first six eps were amazing!!! It turns out that they were just all writing a bunch of checks that the show apocalyptically failed to cash!
again, i feel like blaming "them" in the plural for the writing is a mistake, lol. the direction was great, the art was great -- unfortunately the scriptwriter is a space alien, or possibly three monkeys in a suit holding a psych 101 textbook

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Elephant Parade posted:

lmao, i expected it to be bad but i did not expect it to end with a cliffhanger for a second season that won't happen. and introduce three more (insane) plot threads while resolving none. if you're reading this and you haven't watched the finale yet, don't

In fairness I think it resolved the Koito/Sawaki thread? The problem is that the resolution, again, appears to be "she killed herself because she has a dangerous and all consuming need for the affection of older men causing her to frequently act out in ways that are dangerous and potentially lethal both for herself and the poor unwitting men she chooses to fixate upon."

If it feels like I'm belaboring this point, that's because I am, because what the gently caress?!?

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.
As someone who truly fell in love with the show and really had hopes that it would sort itself out in the end, I am utterly astonished at how bad of an ending that was. I'm kind of glad I experienced it as a complete narrative aberration. Some thoughts:

Koito. Oh boy. So when a Parallel World person hops over, causing that person to "come back to life", does everyone except their savior (and the other WEG crew) not realize the change? Does it just rewrite everything, hence Ai no longer having photos of Koito? Parallel World versions appear to be different people with different lives and experiences, so does that mean the really gross explanation that Koito was just a crazy girl seeking attention only apply to this new Koito? Meaning we'll never know what happened with original Koito? I'm asking a lot of questions that probably don't have answers because if Koito, one of the central components of AI's entire plot, got hand waved so quickly I imagine the show itself just stopped caring about that narrative thread completely.

Frill. I guess they just decided to drop Frill, Hyphen, Dot and Kirara completely. As well as addressing the intense PTSD the WEG girls experienced after meeting them.

Neiru. Is this the first time we are hearing about Neiru being an AI clone of Airu? At first I was assuming that Neiru going missing and Airu being back was due to the rule where you can't have two of the same Parallel World people in one world but a) it's a clone, not really the same person and b) they co-existed previous to WEG.

Ai. I just can't fathom what the script/writing process was for this episode. A show that ostensibly seemed to focus on finding family and friendship with others while enduring personal and shared trauma ends with the main character isolating themselves from every friend they made, even transferring schools for (unless I missed something) unexplained reasons. Ai rejecting what seemed like an incoming call from Neiru only to, after some unknown amount of time, change her mind and decide to do more WEG work to find her is just a baffling order of events. I think my favorite part was the impressive audacity to have a final moment that, in any other series, I would assume is setting up a sequel.

I'm sure I'm giving all of this way more thought than any of it deserves but I'm really trying to find logic in any of the decisions they made here. I can't imagine what the writing and production process looked like for this last episode.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Spiritus Nox posted:

In fairness I think it resolved the Koito/Sawaki thread? The problem is that the resolution, again, appears to be "she killed herself because she has a dangerous and all consuming need for the affection of older men causing her to act out in self destructive ways."

If it feels like I'm belaboring this point, that's because I am, because what the gently caress?!?
it's kind of a nonresolution even beyond that because it isn't even the same koito and they aren't friends. ohta couldn't ask koito wtf, she had to randomly hear it from some students passing by. the whole ending is just "gently caress you for trying to make sense of the characters to this point, here are some nonsense twists"

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Elephant Parade posted:

it's kind of a nonresolution even beyond that because it isn't even the same koito and they aren't friends. ohta couldn't ask koito wtf, she had to randomly hear it from some students passing by. the whole ending is just "gently caress you for trying to make sense of the characters to this point, here are some nonsense twists"

I edited the post to clarify my :psyduck: a bit further, but what's especially galling here is that it actively whitewashes the still-intensely-unprofessional-and-creepy Sawaki into "the poor victim of this dangerous harlot, trying to get him into trouble like that other teacher who killed himself!!" And I really couldn't imagine a worse and more insulting way to end that plot thread if I tried.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jun 30, 2021

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i had a lot of hope that the ending could still roughly tie everything together. it doesn't seem like this would even be that hard to fit in a single episode:

1. frill is a victim in a wonder egg, the accas are the monsters.
2. ai realizes that the mad scientist dolls who made a teen girl suicide driven science experiment are bad
3. she beats them up or something.
4. the loved one statues don't come back to life, but at least they developed a new support network of friends on this crazy journey.
4a. maybe try not to reveal that koito was secretly a crazy temptress seducing innocent old authority figures. and also that she hated ai and her suicide was a complete accident.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

im just going to erase everything past episode 4 from my memory banks and imagine a better show. it's not even hard to separate them when what comes later is so totally incoherent, on every level, with the opening

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
the tonal whiplash between the "lets abandon our friend because i guess she's a robot" and the "just kidding I'm back baby!" scenes in the last 5 minutes made me feel like the writer was deliberately trying to write the worst ending possible.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.
WEG 1-12: Power structures abuse us in different ways but we survive by forging bonds with others and fighting back.
WEG 13: Actually the power structures are the victims and/or don't need to be held accountable. Also all your friends are fake and not worth it unless you need a plot point for Season 2.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That was downright weird. It was like they thought this was going to be two cours and then got told to cut it to 1 after episode 11.

Which maybe isn't impossible since that more or less happened to that good tennis show a while back.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sindai posted:

That was downright weird. It was like they thought this was going to be two cours and then got told to cut it to 1 after episode 11.

Which maybe isn't impossible since that more or less happened to that good tennis show a while back.

Unlikely, it was advertised as 13 eps well before release IIRC

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
everyone should read sunu sumu muriku, if you want to see what the wonder egg writer does to go nuts and nonsensical without having the convenience of big sci fi or fantasy ideas to stir in

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Man I haven't seen a show self destruct this spectacularly on its own accord (Neverland was a forced error) since Flowers of Evil.

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

Basically the most positive thing I can say about that episode is that the Ai/Rika/Momoe scenes... could have been nice, if they hadn't had the spectre of the entire rest of the episode hanging over them at all times. Like the girls still have a natural chemistry that almost actually manages to shine through even in the face of... all of this. But ultimately it all still takes a backseat to the rest of the episode's insane bullshit, and ultimately still falls victim to the episode's completely inert emotional delivery.
Like I don't even think them drifting apart is inherently awful, the problem is that like every other thing that happens in the episode it is given no emotional weight whatsoever, it just kinda happens and then is moved on from and that's it, which basically just makes it feel like the show is declaring that these relationships just didn't actually matter in the first place. But again basically everything in this episode is given about the same level of emotional weight, so I feel like that's really more just a result of... whatever the gently caress happened that resulted in this episode being the way that it is in the first place.
Hell, I think a version of this episode that was literally just entirely about the three of them adjusting to this new world where their traumas never happened and their former best friends no longer know them could have been genuinely good. I'm sure they could even find some way to work the Neiru bullshit in there that isn't just completely stupid (maybe just get rid of the android bullshit and have her run off for some other reason and then have the other three resolve to find her together rather than Ai just forgetting about the other two and running off to meet Neiru on her own).

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Wow I've seen the last episode now and that did in fact manage to disappoint my already low expectations

With two months to prepare a double-length episode I was at least expecting, like, an actual ending

edit: so yeah i guess the moral here is that you can't trust your friends but you can trust creepy older dudes who are too involved in your life

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jun 30, 2021

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012
Man, this was on of the shows I was most excited about last winter, but I got really busy and ended up putting it on hold after episode 4. I was going to go back and finish it, but maybe I would be better off finishing Sk8 instead.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Yeah don’t watch this. It’s loving bad. I haven’t seen Sk8 but I’m 100% sure it will be a better use of your time.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Black Stones posted:

Yeah don’t watch this. It’s loving bad. I haven’t seen Sk8 but I’m 100% sure it will be a better use of your time.

Sk8 is excellent campy fun all the way through.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Seconding Sk8 being great fun.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

how is the writer so good at dialogue and so bad at literally everything else

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

how do you start a show at 'teenage girl suicides' and end at '... really ruin the lives of decent men'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyway if you want a show that explores similar themes and is actually good watch blue reflection ray. even if blue reflection ray trades writing quality for looking a bit terrible

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Anyone have a timestamp on when the recap ends so I can just get to the new horrors?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

Anyone have a timestamp on when the recap ends so I can just get to the new horrors?

Right at the 25-minute mark, give or take a few seconds.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Endorph posted:

how do you start a show at 'teenage girl suicides' and end at '... really ruin the lives of decent men'

C'mon. I hated that 5 second backstory, too. But no one cared and it apparently was all about robot girls and Super Science gone bad in an unsatisfying way.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it was the last words on the entire premise of the show. just because it didnt actually impact the rest of the ep doesnt mean it isnt thematically important.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I mean, a huge amount of runtime of the show is Ohto’s wondering “why did she do it?” and that there must have been some big profound reason to crush their friendship. No, it’s not that at all. It’s very much the opposite of profound.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like also how ep 12 seems to take the tact that ai will never know and thats okay, and then there's a random 5 second dubbed over line to give the worst explanation possible.

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

Also like, am I meant to assume that that dialogue happened when she talked to Sawaki at the exhibition? And that Ai actually knew all of this during the events of episode 12? Because if so that doesn't just invalidate Ai's emotional resolution in that episode, it actively makes it not make sense because Ai literally did already know why Koito committed suicide. (I mean, I guess you can make the case that she still technically didn't know because it was still just Sawaki's word, but...)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

BlitznBurst posted:

Also like, am I meant to assume that that dialogue happened when she talked to Sawaki at the exhibition?

That's what I assumed, yeah, only thing that makes logical sense. Not that much about these events makes much sense anyway.............

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Welp, glad I got busy and didn't keep up with this one. Sounds like a huge mess.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The Koito plot is what really took me from being disappointed in the episode/series to just outright hating the series. What a horrible, horrible message that's trying to act all profound

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

In summary:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

510rems
Mar 26, 2010
personally i loved the insane whiplash of the show going into episode 11 and 12 but i get it can be polarizing. if you were really into the thoughtfulness and psychological aspects of the show, like yeah, driving way harder into the sci fi and horror can suck real bad.

episode 13 seems aware that the shift was divisive and attempts to course correct so hard that they produced something worse than what they started with. they pull back the stuff about the AI girls and the horror so much that episode 11 and 12 may as well never happened- but then parallel world and Neiru stuff they introduce feel out of place with how much they pulled back on it. meanwhile their compensations into the psychological stuff feel wildly out of tone with the shows themes and characters. it's so baffling.