Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

CW: Suicide, bullying, blood, self harm, child molestation

This is the story of Ai, an introverted girl whose fate is forever changed when she acquires a mysterious “Wonder Egg” from a deserted arcade. That night, her dreams blend into reality, and as other girls obtain their own Wonder Eggs, Ai discovers new friends—and the magic within herself.

Wonder Egg Priority is a 2021 Winter original anime series about guilt, self harm and friendship. Our main characters, using magic eggs, have dreams where they have to protect dead girls from a horde of monsters. By doing so, they hope to be resurrect someone close to them that they have lost... perhaps.

This is the director's first directorial work, and the writer's first foray into anime.

Ai Ohto

Our main character. Goofy hikkimori who was bullied for her heterochromia. Super gay.
Trying to save: her best (only?) friend Koito Nagase

Neiru Aonuma

Another egg saviour. Seems like a rather serious girl. Ai seems to be developing a crush on her. Bad at self-preservation
Trying to save: Her sister

Rika Kawai

She's Kawaii, because she's super cute. Formerly an idol. Chaotic gremlin???
Trying to save: A fangirl, Chiemi

Momoe Sawaki

Girl who wears boy's clothes? Seems to be related to Ai's school counselor. Don't get hung up on gender
Trying to save: Her girlfriend Haruka.

PV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TpTn3o-_Yk
OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVdgHnK71MY
Stream: https://www.funimation.com/shows/wonder-egg-priority/

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Feb 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

I'll make a thread with a proper OP this afternoon, this show deserves it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Julias posted:

I'll make a proper thread with a proper OP this afternoon, this show deserves it

Implying this isn't a proper thread???

(I mean, I kinda want to encourage people to go in blind)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Point taken, I'll still write up an OP though.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Fangz posted:

Implying this isn't a proper thread???

(I mean, I kinda want to encourage people to go in blind)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_FRPoJIrlI

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Wink wink nudge nudge posting just makes me want to check it out less.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there's no real reason to be so obtuse that you don't even establish it's a show about bullying, given that much is obvious from the PV

ymmv on it having surreal/dream world aspects but the PV shows some of that at the end (in addition to the robotic narration) and the newer key visual is the girls laying down/sleeping. not that this is a big secret in the show itself, since that stuff appears almost immediately and throughout the first episode. people are already giving this Wixoss and Madoka comparisons in the season thread anyway.

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 13, 2021

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

dogsicle posted:

there's no real reason to be so obtuse that you don't even establish it's a show about bullying, given that much is obvious from the PV

ymmv on it having surreal/dream world aspects but the PV shows some of that at the end (in addition to the robotic narration) and the newer key visual is the girls laying down/sleeping. not that this is a big secret in the show itself, since that stuff appears almost immediately and throughout the first episode. people are already giving this Wixoss and Madoka comparisons in the season thread anyway.

I dunno, I think even after the first episode I think a lot of it seems pretty mysterious. Like I don't know if it's actually about bullying or if that's just the thing for the first episode. My guess would be actually that it's about Guilt, and specifically the characters being excessively self-sacrificing on the basis of that sense of guilt. Like, I don't expect all the other characters introduced to have backstories relating to bullying.

I also am less than sure about the comparison to Madoka. A mix of Persona and Anthem of the Heart or A Silent Voice is the vibe I'm getting right now. Funimation lists the show as Slice of Life, which is uh.

In the end it's an original anime from a first time director and a first time (to anime) writer. That's about as '???' when it comes to pre-series expectations as you can get and I think the show is playing its cards pretty close to its chest right now.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 13, 2021

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the Madoka comparison seems mainly aesthetic to me, that and it kinda coming along for the ride with the more apt Wixoss comparison because of their shared reputation. i wouldn't say i'm a big fan either.

bullying seems to be a common topic for the writer specifically, and at least is central to Ai's story, but with the other three girls i suspect you're right that we could see different causes of guilt/trauma that they're working through.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

So should I point out that "Ohta Ai" is probably supposed to sound like "Odd Eye" which is how they describe her heterochromia? If someone knows better Japanese than me wants to take a crack at the other names we've been given for the leads in promotional materials to guess what's up with them I'd say go for it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

Wink wink nudge nudge posting just makes me want to check it out less.
its a cool metaphorical exploration of guilt, suicide, and bullying and presumably other stuff with some really neat visuals and very naturalistic, charming dialogue, op. bit depressing/dark and there's some dark humor in spots, but no real way to know how itll resolve its tone with only one episode out

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
in an extremely packed season i can already tell this is going to be something extremely special and probably my anime of the season. first episode was compelling, gorgeous, had great direction, editing, just phenomenal. i can't wait for more

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/Neromon1/status/1349031314851299328?s=20

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Visuals look pretty spectacular.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

eggu

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C02XmZnTXXU

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Episode 1 ruled, looking forward to catching more of this.

dogsicle posted:

the Madoka comparison seems mainly aesthetic to me, that and it kinda coming along for the ride with the more apt Wixoss comparison because of their shared reputation. i wouldn't say i'm a big fan either.

Someone in the season thread drew a comparison to Yuki Yuna, which also seems apt so far. I think my biggest criticism of the comparisons being drawn is that all of Wixoss, Madoka, and Yuki Yuna initially and superficially come off as cute and benign. All three have undercurrents of 'hm something doesn't seem right', but it isn't pulled front and center until a few episodes in. Meanwhile WEP's mascot per episode one is a realistically drawn bug, and with our protagonist immediately sent to the hospital there doesn't appear to be any deception as to how hosed the situation is.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Our protagonist is gonna end up like the guy in looper as she gradually loses body parts from injuries in the dream.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Someone in the season thread drew a comparison to Yuki Yuna, which also seems apt so far. I think my biggest criticism of the comparisons being drawn is that all of Wixoss, Madoka, and Yuki Yuna initially and superficially come off as cute and benign. All three have undercurrents of 'hm something doesn't seem right', but it isn't pulled front and center until a few episodes in. Meanwhile WEP's mascot per episode one is a realistically drawn bug, and with our protagonist immediately sent to the hospital there doesn't appear to be any deception as to how hosed the situation is.

I think the other flaw in this comparison is that to my knowledge, all of those things involve at least initially the protagonist fighting fairly abstract and generic enemies. Whereas the seenos here are pretty explicitly manifestations of Ai's own sense of guilt. So it seems to me that the show is more likely a vehicle for the protagonist to eventually work through their issues, vs the situation in Madoka where you start with the girls in a fairly good situation and things go increasingly grim.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

A twitter thread about the writer's past works and speculation about the show

https://twitter.com/AnimesocMegan/status/1351043079319539724

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

The first few minutes of Madoka and the ED pretty clearly set up a dark turn before episode 3. It's not really an undercurrent, it's something the show is obviously building to. The way it gets there is the twist, not the fact it exists.

Fangz posted:

I think the other flaw in this comparison is that to my knowledge, all of those things involve at least initially the protagonist fighting fairly abstract and generic enemies. Whereas the seenos here are pretty explicitly manifestations of Ai's own sense of guilt. So it seems to me that the show is more likely a vehicle for the protagonist to eventually work through their issues, vs the situation in Madoka where you start with the girls in a fairly good situation and things go increasingly grim.
The antagonists in Wixoss are all other girls, there's no generic monsters or anything.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Fangz posted:

This is a really good thread.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Endorph posted:

The first few minutes of Madoka and the ED pretty clearly set up a dark turn before episode 3. It's not really an undercurrent, it's something the show is obviously building to. The way it gets there is the twist, not the fact it exists.
I don't think Madoka used its Magia ed until the end of episode 3, right? I know in the blurays they use a placeholder ED for episodes 1 and 2; i feel like they might have either done that or just didn't have a proper ending until the third episode? But it did use Magia in like the first 5 minutes of the first episode.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Fangz posted:

Another twitter thread, this time about the other staff behind Wonder Egg Priority, many of whom are taking leading staff roles for the first time!

https://twitter.com/AnimesocMegan/status/1351413904358977536

Also worth a read: Flower Language in Wonder Egg Priority

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Watched episode 2.

And I thought episode 1 was pretty raw....I think the show's still pulling it off so far, but boy it seems intent on walking a loving knife's edge when it comes to tone and content.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
I think the show manages well with it's approach of abstracting the act dreamworld, out of focus camera footage/passing sensei while not holding back on depicting the impact The repeated holds on Koito's expressions

I also think that it is important that the dreamworld and defeating the "boss" doesn't save the victim, they are still dead, and I doubt this show is going to conclude with a message of "gacha is good civ"

Yak of Wrath fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 19, 2021

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yak of Wrath posted:

I also think that it is important that the dreamworld and defeating the "boss" doesn't save the victim, they are still dead, and I doubt this show is going to conclude with a message of "gacha is good civ"

The line that sticks with me on that front was back in episode 1: "Too bad. Only you get saved." In other words, all Ai's efforts can only save herself, all she can definitively do is come to terms with things herself.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Spiritus Nox posted:

The line that sticks with me on that front was back in episode 1: "Too bad. Only you get saved." In other words, all Ai's efforts can only save herself, all she can definitively do is come to terms with things herself.

I think there is also the possibility of Ai, Neiru and the yet to be introduced characters to support each other with with their respective losses and away from quixotic gacha dreamland, there's also the grimmer possibility that some will only continue to enable each other further into it

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Having seen ep 2, Ai is a good egg.

The theme for this one seems to be the inability to see oneself clearly. Like I think both Ai and Neiru can see the self-destructiveness of each other's actions, but not their own. I hold to my prior assertion that this is really not very Madoka at all, it's about the characters *starting* in a dark place and maybe emerging from it, which is the opposite of Madoka where really it's a bad idea to do the magic thing at all and the characters start off normal and happy.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fangz posted:

The theme for this one seems to be the inability to see oneself clearly. Like I think both Ai and Neiru can see the self-destructiveness of each other's actions, but not their own. I hold to my prior assertion that this is really not very Madoka at all, it's about the characters *starting* in a dark place and maybe emerging from it, which is the opposite of Madoka where really it's a bad idea to do the magic thing at all and the characters start off normal and happy.

Yeah it's striking in that context how the monster-teacher is capable of blinding Ai so that she's dependent on Minami yelling guidance and calls for help to find her target.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Someone pointed out that the pen this episode was passed on from the girl in the previous episode.

EDIT: Other thought: Did the girl in the previous episode know what was going on because she was also an egg-user?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 19, 2021

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah it's striking in that context how the monster-teacher is capable of blinding Ai so that she's dependent on Minami yelling guidance and calls for help to find her target.
I think it also relates to how abusers in positions of authority can use that authority to conceal their abuse entirely or reframe it as something else, leaving outside society "blind" to what's happening unless the victim speaks up.

Fangz posted:

Someone pointed out that the pen this episode was passed on from the girl in the previous episode.
Yeah. I wonder if Ai will keep the ribbon, too, and keep adding to her arsenal with each egg she rescues like some kind of quasi-Mega Man.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

More from Emily Rand
https://formeinfullbloom.wordpress.com/2021/01/19/youre-the-sunflower-wonder-egg-priority-episode-2/

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fangz posted:

EDIT: Other thought: Did the girl in the previous episode know what was going on because she was also an egg-user?

I more got the impression that this just wasn't her first time being hatched in someone else's game. Idea's worth keeping an eye on, tho

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
I think there's a lot to packed into the gym teacher/final boss being called the wonder killer, wonder also being in the name of the show ofcourse. The main theme seems to me to be that these girls were happy, curious and interested in life until someone with power, through abuse, killed every shred of that wonder.

That could be the gym teacher removing joy from gymnastics, the "big bully" gaining power from all peers ignoring or going along with bullying, or the homeroom teacher failing to see what's going on under his nose.

I have high expectations. Feels like there's a lot going on and I'm going to have to rewatch too.

E: oh and the OP is good!

utamaru fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 19, 2021

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

utamaru posted:

I think there's a lot to packed into the gym teacher/final boss being called the wonder killer, wonder also being in the name of the show ofcourse. The main theme seems to me to be that these girls were happy, curious and interested in life until someone with power, through abuse, killed every shred of that wonder.

That could be the gym teacher removing joy from gymnastics, the "big bully" gaining power from all peers ignoring or going along with bullying, or the homeroom teacher failing to see what's going on under his nose.

I have high expectations. Feels like there's a lot going on and I'm going to have to rewatch too.

E: oh and the OP is good!

I sort of wonder about that. Like, I think the bosses within the dream-world more likely to me represents the way the victims here saw them, which is not necessarily what they actually were in reality.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP

Fangz posted:

I sort of wonder about that. Like, I think the bosses within the dream-world more likely to me represents the way the victims here saw them, which is not necessarily what they actually were in reality.

I'm not really too concerned about that, it's clear to me that the trauma and consequences are both real. Unless this goes in a very weird bait-and-switch direction.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Alright time for another theory if Wonder Killers are internalised trauma, Ai's "guide" is her nascent Wonder Killer who will grow increasingly abusive and guilting over her perceived role in Koito's death and what must be done to make it right

Absolutely this is wild conjecture spinning out from episode 2's Wonder Killer and Acca both seeming to be malicious authority figures

Yak of Wrath fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yak of Wrath posted:

Alright time for another theory if Wonder Killers are internalised trauma, Ai's "guide" is her nascent Wonder Killer who will grow increasingly abusive and guilting over her perceived role in Koito's death and what must be done to make it right

I don't know if I think this is word-for-word what'll happen, but it's certainly interesting to consider. It certainly seems clear to me that Acca is not Ai's friend in this matter.