Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/scottoland/status/1714684290938613795

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

:lmao:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

:perfect:

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
https://twitter.com/7upjawa/status/1716302457436057623?t=lhuuzQnuMvLMYrgDrgfFOg&s=19

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Hello thread. This "Fighting-Box" has the silent red Cherry switches I want. I am inclined to give it a try since I like the design and would not have to do any tinkering. What do you think?

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005...6935736623503_5

Alternatives would be the B1-PC or a Fightbox F1. What would you recommend?

CH Science
Sep 11, 2019

I’ve got the fightbox. I like it a lot, but I did swap out the switches for silvers (shortest to-activation travel of the full-size cherries) and put the little rubber key bumper thingies in them. The knockoff reds or whatever it was that we’re in there felt like they had to be pushed a full cm before registering

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
If you want to go ultra budget the Haute42 Mini rules and is around $25 CAD shipped from AliExpress. It uses GP2040 so it supports everything up to a PS4. I loved my first one so much I got a second on 11/11

https://haute42.com/haute-board-mini/

Next step up is their G12/G13/G16 controllers. I paid $50.94 CAD shipped for a G13 on 11/11.

https://haute42.com/haute-pad-g-series/

Nice that we’re finally starting to get some decent quality budget leverless options.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Been playing my snackbox lately for tekken since I've had some wrist problems, and was thinking: hey, I could probably just buy an all buttons faceplate for my nice BNB Gen 2 stick to swap it over easy enough

They don't seem to sell them on focusattack anymore :negative: though maybe it's just a temporary thing? The links all 404 from my old orders too rip

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I looked for it too, and bnb appears to largely not exist on focus attack anymore. You might have more luck asking in r/fightsticks as the bnb owner, jonyfraze, seems to be active in that community. From what I can tell they released a new fightstick diy kit, so maybe they discontinued the bnb?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I got one of these universal leverless adapters for my obsidian and i'm pretty happy with it. had another flimsier version that i destroyed, but this one is meatier and has socketed switches.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806144150006.html

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The Dark Souls of Posters posted:

I looked for it too, and bnb appears to largely not exist on focus attack anymore. You might have more luck asking in r/fightsticks as the bnb owner, jonyfraze, seems to be active in that community. From what I can tell they released a new fightstick diy kit, so maybe they discontinued the bnb?

Ah yeah, that's a good idea

really I just need a plexi cut for it, I'm fully happy to pay a little extra as opposed to buying an entire other enclosure if I can avoid it..

Edit: Oh I heard back from them, apparently it's just demand way outstripping their supply. They'll have it back up at some point so I guess I'll just snap it up right away :toot:

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 14, 2024

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Yea, I have one too, and part of the attraction to the BNB was the fact that it was so easy to make a change like that.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
So I've been looking at buying/building a hitbox for a bit now and I have one question as I look at controllers like the Fightbox B series: don't your hands get uncomfortable so close together, with your wrists at two different angles? To me it looks like the buttons are staggered in such a way that your left wrist is either going to be a bit more forward or back than the right - does that not get a little uncomfortable? Similarly, I know the up/jump button on controllers like this is in a position so you can hit it with either thumb if need be for certain inputs, but that puts your hands really close together. No closer than if you're holding a standard game controller, really, but the wrist angle/rotation is different. I'm looking at these and feeling like it would end up cramping my wrists/shoulders to hold that position.

Is there something similar layoutwise (24/30mm buttons, no stick) that has your hands spaced more like, twoish inches apart? Or am I overthinking it? Is it something where it looks uncomfortable but is totally normal when you get used to it? I type all day for my job, so I'm trying to get a controller for certain games that don't need an analog stick that might help me vary the positions my hands/wrists/etc. are in to relieve some stress.

e:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've finished my custom hitbox!

something like this goon's beautiful wood monstrosity looks like something I'd find more comfortable as far as spacing goes

maybe this is when I finally learn how to use a CAD and cut acrylic and just make a two-part "ergonomic" box, like certain split keyboards

death cob for cutie fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 15, 2024

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

death cob for cutie posted:

Is there something similar layoutwise (24/30mm buttons, no stick) that has your hands spaced more like, twoish inches apart? Or am I overthinking it?

You are overthinking it (for a big enough hitbox).

For me at least, the cramped/not cramped question boils down to how much space there is to support my wrists and whether or not the position of the stick/buttons line up with my shoulder width. The angle on the buttons on a hitbox means the latter is not a problem, and the former is solved by getting a big enough hitbox (i.e. not a Snackbox-sized one).

The current internet darling is the Haute42 T16 (or T13), which is only about $80 shipped to pretty much anywhere in the world, although the same people make $50-60 micro-sized hitboxes as well.

If you're going to build your own, I'd definitely consider getting one for research purposes first, so you can get a better idea of how the layout works. The T16 is also just a good hitbox, if you decide you're not married to making one yourself.

That's assuming you don't know anyone who can lend you a hitbox locally, obviously.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Feb 15, 2024

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

If you're going to build your own, I'd definitely consider getting one for research purposes first, so you can get a better idea of how the layout works.

IMO you should make it with a temporary top plate first, something cheap and easy that you can experiment with. Go through a few button layouts, see what feels good, and make the final plate when you know what you want.

Of course, this always runs into the “nothing is more permanent than a working prototype” issue. I made a ‘temporary build’ in a cheap plastic tool organizer and I’ve made no progress whatsoever on my ‘real’ build because, hey, this one works fine.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

:toot: it was a complete coincidence as I edited in and the BNB Gen 2 is back in stock

I think I'm going to go with the Shiokenstar layout, just so I can have the big 30mm buttons for the action buttons since I'm putting art in them

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
that's so weird! but explains why i couldn't find anything talking about the bnb no longer being manufactured

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Lemon-Lime posted:

You are overthinking it (for a big enough hitbox).

If you're going to build your own, I'd definitely consider getting one for research purposes first, so you can get a better idea of how the layout works. The T16 is also just a good hitbox, if you decide you're not married to making one yourself.

good to know lmao

I think I want to just build one myself - tbh I'm not Huge into fighting games, I'm more just having the urge to make something, and it sounds like a fun project.

I'm thinking about one of the Allfightsticks modular ones; if I end up not really wanting it around, I can probably either repurpose it for some other electronic bullshit or sell it for parts. If I decide I do like it, I can keep it around and see about making my own top plate/layout.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Shiokenstar split is one such standard wider leverless layout

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

oh poo poo I saw shiokenstar but not the split version, I guess they (AFS) doesn't make them for the 14 inch case I was looking at

well, that's an easy buy, ty

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

death cob for cutie posted:

I think I want to just build one myself - tbh I'm not Huge into fighting games, I'm more just having the urge to make something, and it sounds like a fun project.

Building sticks is fun, so that's totally fair.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:
Also it's not like sticks are only good for fighting games, pretty standard for a lot of shmups as well, basically any arcade game that didn't have a special controller too.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

yeah, I honestly think the biggest use for it I get if I don't get deep into SF6 is playing 2d platformers that don't use an analog stick. will destroy all my friends with absolute precision in duck game

(also if I end up hating it entirely I might just shove a SBC in there and make a barely-portable MAME unit or something)

anyways, ordered the parts, AFS is hella backed up I guess so I'll probably post pics in a month

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Khizan posted:

IMO you should make it with a temporary top plate first, something cheap and easy that you can experiment with. Go through a few button layouts, see what feels good, and make the final plate when you know what you want.

Of course, this always runs into the “nothing is more permanent than a working prototype” issue. I made a ‘temporary build’ in a cheap plastic tool organizer and I’ve made no progress whatsoever on my ‘real’ build because, hey, this one works fine.
Here's my "working prototype" from like 10+ years ago that I still use as my main stick :buddy:
(updated to a Brook UFB a few years back)

Actual prototypes that led up to that:

More recent but still years old stuff, this one broke while in play. Zip ties for the stick just kinda tore through the cardboard (nuts and bolts are the way to go for cardboard :eng101:):

And an AllFightSticks 9.5" case, nice but too big and particularly too heavy for my tastes. Can't tell from the angle but it's a good chunk taller than my other stick too. But fits particularly nicely in my desk's keyboard tray so still has a place for me:

Currently working on 3D printed stick, technically started out years ago but ran into my own ineptitude at 3D modeling. Started again recently and getting somewhere. 4 prints in...at about 15 hours per print :suicide:, makes me want a new printer. Mine was slow for its time, and so much slower than the newest ones, and the print quality is meh too. I'll post that one...eventually, when I get done. One day :cry:

HerniaFlange posted:

Also it's not like sticks are only good for fighting games, pretty standard for a lot of shmups as well, basically any arcade game that didn't have a special controller too.
My main use initially was shmups, although I did play fighting games in the past too. But honestly I just use them for...anything possible. Pretty much anything that isn't dual stick or overly complicated control wise can work on stick. I've found it pretty rare for stuff to need analog controls. Not necessarily ideal all the time or anything, but lots of stuff can totally be fine with a stick.

And particularly for leverless, music games are the best on them. Just wish more games had full control config cause I could play a lot of that stuff on just a stick's buttons too.

japtor fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 18, 2024

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Buttons and wiring arrived for my hitbox. I forgot I need nine 30mm buttons and the ones I ordered came in a pack of eight. :negative:

Thankfully found a site that will sell me a single button rather than needing to buy a whole pack of eight. Also discovered that the Oanba buttons I get have an option for tactile switches, which greatly pleases me.

Now to just twiddle my thumbs and wait for the actual housing to arrive.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Help me decide on art, thread.

I'm partial to the Journey one

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Not sure what your tastes are but I am particularly fond of middle left, bottom left, and bottom middle, in that order.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anyone have an issue with the Haute 42 AliExpress store? I can't place any order, it cancels immediately with a message about 'security'. Tried different accounts, different payment methods.

e: alternatively, anyone want to sell me a leverless? I'm in Canada.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 26, 2024

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

VelociBacon posted:

Anyone have an issue with the Haute 42 AliExpress store? I can't place any order, it cancels immediately with a message about 'security'. Tried different accounts, different payment methods.

e: alternatively, anyone want to sell me a leverless? I'm in Canada.

I had this happen to me. Posted about it in the general fighting games thread.

Orb Crabmelt posted:

I tried picking up a Haute42 from AliExpress but it kept cancelling my order citing something about coupon codes and security concerns. Still loving charged my card multiple times. It's okay, though, because I'll get a refund some time within the next month!

e: if you buy something that doesn't have any discounts applied, it'll let you buy whatever you want after you complete the initial transaction

eeeeeee: okay, seems like all the refunds have gone through. aliexpress shopping experience 2.5 stars out of five

To be clear, I first put in an order for the cheapest possible item that didn't have any sort of discount or promotion going on, I think it was like a $2 USB cable or something. After that order went through, I was able to put in a second order for the Haute.

Still haven't received it, but according to tracking it's almost here. Not too bad considering it came from China.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Orb Crabmelt posted:

I had this happen to me. Posted about it in the general fighting games thread.

To be clear, I first put in an order for the cheapest possible item that didn't have any sort of discount or promotion going on, I think it was like a $2 USB cable or something. After that order went through, I was able to put in a second order for the Haute.

Still haven't received it, but according to tracking it's almost here. Not too bad considering it came from China.

Crazy, alright thanks. How long did it take for you to get your refunds?

e: yep that works, wild. No cable for me though, you know I had to do it to them

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 26, 2024

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I think it only took a day or two, but officially it's supposed to be up to a couple weeks. I did talk to someone from customer service, so it's possible they intervened.

Finger sleeves, lol

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
chuns or waves

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
Dose anyone have a recommendation for a fight stick for someone with small hands? I have an 8bit do one and I do like it but the buttons are too big for me to use it comfortably, any thing that uses smaller buttons or am I looking at just using a keybord for something like this?

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Most leverless/Hitbox-style controllers use 24mm action buttons instead of the standard 30mm, though that's probably not quite what you're looking for unless you already know it's what you're looking for. I wish there were more options for regular joysticks with 24mm action buttons, too, since after using a leverless controller for a while I've come to find the more compact layout generally more comfortable.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you wanna go custom the 4tw enclosure has a couple options for 24mm action buttons. Right now I’m using the 6gawd layout and it’s really comfortable for me.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Johnny Landmine posted:

Most leverless/Hitbox-style controllers use 24mm action buttons instead of the standard 30mm, though that's probably not quite what you're looking for unless you already know it's what you're looking for. I wish there were more options for regular joysticks with 24mm action buttons, too, since after using a leverless controller for a while I've come to find the more compact layout generally more comfortable.

Romes128 posted:

If you wanna go custom the 4tw enclosure has a couple options for 24mm action buttons. Right now I’m using the 6gawd layout and it’s really comfortable for me.

Thank you for the suggestions, I did think about a leverless design but I do like the big joystick, I manly want something for general arcade games and not just a fight stick, though I guess there is that 8bit do neogeo controller as well. I'll see if I want to go with a custom build or just keep on the lookout, my preference for clicky buttons may also force my hand in this regard.

dbzfandiego fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 27, 2024

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Romes128 posted:

Yeah, I've definitely considered 4tw for this before (thanks for the reminder!), and there's a local guy who makes and sells cases for 24mm buttons every now and then, though they're pricy and sell out quickly. I keep holding out hope for a replacement panel for one of my Hori sticks or something just so I don't have to buy a PCB and all that jazz too, but I guess at the end of the day the tinkering is part of the fun.

I have heard AllFightSticks at least used to do custom replacement panels like this, though he doesn't put them on the site anymore. Maybe I should get in touch with him and see if he'd do another.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Romes128 posted:

And for a traditional layout it looks like he has a Sega 2P 24mm panel available for it.

Side note, if anyone is looking for a smaller stick, he came out with a mini one recently:
https://jonyfraze.bigcartel.com/product/minidub

Johnny Landmine posted:

I have heard AllFightSticks at least used to do custom replacement panels like this, though he doesn't put them on the site anymore. Maybe I should get in touch with him and see if he'd do another.
I think I heard from some random guy recently that he still does, although not sure how much extra he'll charge for it. Also a chance there's still random stock available, although no clue if he ever made 24mm layouts for the current size sticks.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hit him up on the AFS discord for custom layouts. Tho its taking like 2 months for anything custom or not in stock to be shipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I just received my Haute42 S16 and this thing whips. Has a good weight for how tiny it is, buttons feel great, and as someone who plays with my controller sitting on a desk, having the choice between having to cord connect at the side or on the front of the controller is freaking awesome - more so than I thought it would be.

I bought it because it was cheap and I really wanted something with a dedicated DI button near the jump button, but wasn’t prepared to start drilling holes in my hitbox until I confirmed I liked it , and I’m shocked at how good this thing feels compared to my Hitbox with Crown buttons. The Hitbox absolutely does not feel $200 nice than this $50 controller.

I can’t speak for the other models but if the S16 is representative of the brand as a whole they are a great buy for anyone interest in leverless