Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
oh hey there's a thread for this game that didn't show up in the search

hot take game was good, scratched the resource gathering gremlin part of my brain pretty good and turning off the naturally-occurring storms for post game poking around felt like an appropriate victory lap

kind of sucks that the voice lines effectively Just Stop completely when oppy leaves, francis basically said something for like 1 in 4 runs but devs said something about a future content update so i'll be curious to see what it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
i'd really love to see the devs or ambitious modders take this game as a base for the free-roaming, open ended, untimed loop, occasionally punctuated by the 'blowout' storms.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
🎶 Everybody’s moving to Seattle! The place where it’s cool to be depressed 🎶

This drat song has been stuck in my head all week. The girlfriend who is from Seattle caught me singing it.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
I wish they'd do shows again, their last one was apparently right next door to my regular bar. Seems like Worse In Person was a pandemic project that ran out of steam :(

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Gomez Chamberlain posted:

I wish they'd do shows again, their last one was apparently right next door to my regular bar. Seems like Worse In Person was a pandemic project that ran out of steam :(

I actually know their guitarist, and they're apparently still together! No idea if they're performing anywhere or recording anything, though.

(I, of course, had not known that he was their guitarist until we were out jogging and I mentioned how I'd been playing Pacific Drive and couldn't get the soundtrack out of my head.)

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Well that's freaking cool. Tell them we all love them and want more.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Gomez Chamberlain posted:

Well that's freaking cool. Tell them we all love them and want more.

Seconded!

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Petition to change the thread title.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh09uIN6tl0

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
This thread's pretty quiet, but here's a question for those who've played a lot:

What do you consider the most essential early upgrades for each type of anchor energy you collect? So far, I'm only up to stable anchors and it seems off-road tires are a good priority there.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Can't remember the core categories but the shield then whatever source of energy generation works best for you is super helpful.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Storage was the main thing that really hurt early on, you're going to need a stupid amount of most of the boring common materials like fabric or plastic and it's much easier to harvest tons of it when the game is forcing you to tootle around in the kiddie pool for a dozen runs than collect it when you're on a timer and have more interesting things to do.

Tires are good for keeping you from sliding around everywhere but probably uh limit your expectations for the offroad ones.

The impulse generator thing is great for making abductors gently caress off with the press of a button, lightning rod largely neutralizes electrical hazards which are everywhere and hard to avoid as you progress to the midgame

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Two wind turbines will mostly eliminate any chance of running down the battery

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I got through most of the game with a rain and a solar generator.

Also puncture-proof tires are extremely good

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
offroads, turbolight so you can actually climb hills, limpulse to tell stuff to gently caress off, your power generation of choice, and all the storage upgrades

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Hannibal Rex posted:

This thread's pretty quiet, but here's a question for those who've played a lot:

What do you consider the most essential early upgrades for each type of anchor energy you collect? So far, I'm only up to stable anchors and it seems off-road tires are a good priority there.

When I did my run, my priority was getting my vehicle set up for safe off-road travel, followed by getting enough cargo space to haul everything back and enough power generation that gasoline would be my only limiting factor.

Kyte posted:

offroads, turbolight so you can actually climb hills, limpulse to tell stuff to gently caress off, your power generation of choice, and all the storage upgrades

I mostly agree except skip the limpulse (you get a better version through story progression) and get the storage upgrades at any time since they're pretty much always useful for getting more out of your runs.

I'd say solar is the weakest power source simply because there's no "only go out during the day" option and some zones even have a perpetual darkness condition. Wind is the strongest because if you're driving it generates power and basically acts as a bootleg alternator.

edit: I'll say that my skip limpulse recommendation mostly comes from me feeling like good driving and anomaly awareness makes up for a lot of what the limpulse is good for, though there are a few anomalies in the mid zone that it is REALLY good at no-selling.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 31, 2024

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I got through most of the game with a rain and a solar generator.

Also puncture-proof tires are extremely good

I never upgraded past the puncture proof tires for any significant amount of time. The bonuses from other tires felt middling at best when in the specific conditions where they were designed to operate, compared to puncture proof just saying "Nah, fam" all the time to one of the most annoying statuses. Also tires are weirdly durable once they're not getting flat every so often. I think I was repairing them back at the garage maybe every fourth or fifth run.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

bird food bathtub posted:

I never upgraded past the puncture proof tires for any significant amount of time. The bonuses from other tires felt middling at best when in the specific conditions where they were designed to operate, compared to puncture proof just saying "Nah, fam" all the time to one of the most annoying statuses. Also tires are weirdly durable once they're not getting flat every so often. I think I was repairing them back at the garage maybe every fourth or fifth run.

If anything I probably would have benefitted from learning to love puncture-proof tires. The mid zone is tire shredding central for me, to the point where I eventually did start carrying a spare set of puncture proofs just to put on when I had to travel through the mid zone before switching back to all-terrain after. Spike puddles are a nothingburger, just drive around lol, but the mid zone has enough flooded spots you can't avoid that I almost always lost at least one tire passing through.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Yep I also never felt the need to upgrade once I got the puncture proof, they served me well for the rest of the game.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Warmachine posted:

When I did my run, my priority was getting my vehicle set up for safe off-road travel, followed by getting enough cargo space to haul everything back and enough power generation that gasoline would be my only limiting factor.

I mostly agree except skip the limpulse (you get a better version through story progression) and get the storage upgrades at any time since they're pretty much always useful for getting more out of your runs.

I'd say solar is the weakest power source simply because there's no "only go out during the day" option and some zones even have a perpetual darkness condition. Wind is the strongest because if you're driving it generates power and basically acts as a bootleg alternator.

edit: I'll say that my skip limpulse recommendation mostly comes from me feeling like good driving and anomaly awareness makes up for a lot of what the limpulse is good for, though there are a few anomalies in the mid zone that it is REALLY good at no-selling.

Unless you're making a point of never ever touching anchors unless strictly forced to to open a gateway, and possibly even in that case, by the time the game gives you that thing you'll have enough stable anchor points to have bought everything they can possibly buy, and be mostly done with the area where the ability to zap poo poo off your car is really handy

I'm not totally sure what keeps yanking my punctureproofs right off, maybe a bunch of extra bubblegum buddies I didn't notice until I look down and see a tire's gone?? But it's still an incredible improvement over the others just blowing up all the time

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 31, 2024

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

I ended up with way more unstable energy than I knew what to do with in my playthrough, and mostly ended up bottlenecked on stable energy.

I was a big fan of the rain generators. Note that once you get the turbolite engine you will definitely need extra gas storage, I used the backseat tank. Roof rack storage is amazing because you can stuff things in it without opening the trunk and it’s HUGE.

I never went for puncture proof tires even though I clearly should have. I lost a lot of all terrain and off-road tires to flats and blowouts. Even resulting in a death or two running from the storm.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I'm still hoping for a 1.1 release that reworks the tech tree and tunes some of the stuff because once I got puncture-proof tires I never used anything else ever again.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
It's weird because I don't think I ever bothered putting puncture-proof on my car period, I just went summer -> off road -> all terrain and then all terrain was Good Enough that I didn't really ever think about it

otoh by the time I got to the plot beat of getting the LIM shield and figuring out how it actually worked, I basically just never had it turned off after that point, and it wouldn't surprise me to find out that helps protect against punctures from all but the guaranteed puncture sources

lim shield plus ion shield makes you effectively immune to 90% of the game mechanics tbqh, I ended up having to actively kill myself in the post-game to get the final unlocks that require "having died at some point"

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It's weird because I don't think I ever bothered putting puncture-proof on my car period, I just went summer -> off road -> all terrain and then all terrain was Good Enough that I didn't really ever think about it

otoh by the time I got to the plot beat of getting the LIM shield and figuring out how it actually worked, I basically just never had it turned off after that point, and it wouldn't surprise me to find out that helps protect against punctures from all but the guaranteed puncture sources

lim shield plus ion shield makes you effectively immune to 90% of the game mechanics tbqh, I ended up having to actively kill myself in the post-game to get the final unlocks that require "having died at some point"

This was more or less my experience, since I'd been so focused on electrical generation because screw dark nights I want to have my headlights on at all times. This lead to me having so much power generation that I could amuse myself with a little roadside picnic while watching the Abductors fail to attach to my car ever.

The only reason I started considering puncture-proofs was the mid zone, where going into the water at all severely degrades your tires to the point where I was regularly getting at least 2 flats and sometimes a blow-out before leaving the zone even while 'just passing through' on the way to the deep zone. To the point of frustration because I'd roll into the deep zone and see the status and be salty about it because I was chewing through tires at an absurd rate and couldn't figure out why until I made that connection.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

otoh by the time I got to the plot beat of getting the LIM shield and figuring out how it actually worked

How DOES the lim shield work? I never figured that out. Does it only drain battery while blocking?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Talorat posted:

How DOES the lim shield work? I never figured that out. Does it only drain battery while blocking?

I'm honestly not sure if it even does that-- there's a 2kw power draw from turning it on, no power draw under normal operating conditions, and maybe a bit of power draw when you're actively taking damage from things but never enough that I ever noticed it-- I was actively looking at it when it was deflecting abductors and it didn't seem to twitch. (I guess I could boot the game up and drive into a spike pit to check that at some point). It's significantly more power draw to flip it off/on, since the major power draw is on activation.

Upshot is that as far as I can tell it's a 2kw-cost for infinite abductor immunity and what seems to be a flat 50%-or-more damage reduction from all physical (and possibly actually-all) sources, once you have it there's basically no reason to not have it switched on 100% of the time.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 31, 2024

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Dang! I was getting that feeling from it but I thought “that can’t be right, they made a huge deal about it being power hog in the story”

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Warmachine posted:

This was more or less my experience, since I'd been so focused on electrical generation because screw dark nights I want to have my headlights on at all times. This lead to me having so much power generation that I could amuse myself with a little roadside picnic while watching the Abductors fail to attach to my car ever.

The only reason I started considering puncture-proofs was the mid zone, where going into the water at all severely degrades your tires to the point where I was regularly getting at least 2 flats and sometimes a blow-out before leaving the zone even while 'just passing through' on the way to the deep zone. To the point of frustration because I'd roll into the deep zone and see the status and be salty about it because I was chewing through tires at an absurd rate and couldn't figure out why until I made that connection.

I used offroads until that story mission where they force you through multiple tunnels full of rumblers, or whatever the circular earthquakes are called

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Talorat posted:

Dang! I was getting that feeling from it but I thought “that can’t be right, they made a huge deal about it being power hog in the story”

I think the big deal about power consumption was for getting through whatever story mission it was.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
Offroads and electric engine as soon as I could.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I used offroads until that story mission where they force you through multiple tunnels full of rumblers, or whatever the circular earthquakes are called

That's what the lim shield is for. As others have noted, it's pretty cheap to actually have running and most anomaly effects other than the ones that actively launch you into the air (all my homies hate Bollards and Blacksmiths) are completely no-sold by it. I'm talking drift your wagon through a crowd of Tourists and three Tour Buses and not even scratch the paint.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

mirarant posted:

Offroads and electric engine as soon as I could.

I just carried one spare gas can stuck to that trunk goo and kept another spare in storage to guarantee I always had more reserve fuel than I'd ever use. I used one in my inventory to siphon gas from stuff I came across when I needed it. Was always worried the electric engine would draw too much and leave me without power, while gas was easy to stop once every ten minutes or so and siphon/refuel.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I just carried one spare gas can stuck to that trunk goo and kept another spare in storage to guarantee I always had more reserve fuel than I'd ever use. I used one in my inventory to siphon gas from stuff I came across when I needed it. Was always worried the electric engine would draw too much and leave me without power, while gas was easy to stop once every ten minutes or so and siphon/refuel.

Personally I'm not a fan of the electric for the simple reason that I cannot rip out the actual gas tank and replace it with a battery pack when using it. It might sound silly, but it actively messes with my head and makes me feel bad so I never used it much beyond a couple test drives with it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Warmachine posted:

That's what the lim shield is for. As others have noted, it's pretty cheap to actually have running and most anomaly effects other than the ones that actively launch you into the air (all my homies hate Bollards and Blacksmiths) are completely no-sold by it. I'm talking drift your wagon through a crowd of Tourists and three Tour Buses and not even scratch the paint.

Oh I had the shield on, but I still lost 3 tires

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Tried electric engine but it just chugs so much goddamn energy, i basically never had to worry about actually running out of gas no matter how long I was out and had I somehow run dry there's always an emergency refill no more than a minute or so away, meanwhile the only power sources you can rely on regenerate it much, much more slowly than the engine drains it, I'd burn completely through one of those high capacity batteries and need a jump after crossing like two maps

ended up just switching back to the starter engine, whatever performance gains you get from the higher tier ones are not nearly impressive or useful enough to justify the hassle

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The electric engine is great for getting the low on gas trophy but that's about it

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

haveblue posted:

The electric engine is great for getting the low on gas trophy but that's about it

Yeah I only used the electric engine for exactly one run

to be fair it was one memorable run

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

to be fair it was one memorable run

jesus lol

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007