Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Pixelponny posted:

SimCity 2000: I didn't know that I was supposed to press down the toolbar buttons to see more options. I tried playing without being able to build power plants, highways, water pumps, fire stations... This turned into a weird obsession (of wishing to be able to play SimCity 2000). I could only play with the cities that were bundled with the game, and I'd often theorize how to build these mystery buildings. I remember, once a tall building was destroyed by the 'Monster' and there was a water pump behind it that I couldn't see before. I thought if I could spawn the Monster and if it fires at a small pond, it would zap that pond into a water pump... Or when I was trying to build a power plant by lying power lines on an empty lot...

I had the exact same issue. Mostly because I was/am a moron, but also because I was playing a pirated copy without the instruction manual.

I knew you had to warn your citizens of impending disasters, but I didn’t know how to set off the alarms. So I built signs that said ‘FLOOD! LOOK OUT!’ and hoped they’d read them. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Creature posted:

I had the exact same issue. Mostly because I was/am a moron, but also because I was playing a pirated copy without the instruction manual.

I knew you had to warn your citizens of impending disasters, but I didn’t know how to set off the alarms. So I built signs that said ‘FLOOD! LOOK OUT!’ and hoped they’d read them. :downs:

It didn't work because you didn't write the signs in Simlish.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Creature posted:

Hahaha nice. There was a Flint, Michigan scenario where you had to quell a riot by discontented unemployed autoworkers. My initial plan of “send in the fire dept” didn’t stop them, so I lowered the terrain to trap them in a giant crater, and kept going until we hit groundwater and drowned everyone.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
The original STALKER had a "fake ending" that fooled me for 2 years.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
If you get to end of Oddworld without saving enough Mudokons, it gives you a bad end and puts you back at the start of the last area to try again, no credits or anything. But I just said "okay good enough NEXT GAME." I'll go back and do it right someday but that backlog isn't clearing itself BACK TO WORK.

Backlogging is playing every game wrong in a way.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Hell Yeah posted:

ok it turns out in chess you're supposed to move each piece in a certain pattern ON THE BOARD and NOT stick each one in your b-hole.

Hmm, interesting. Whenever I begin to lose in chess against my brother I pick up a pawn and say "this guy has a bomb strapped to his chest! he runs into your side and blows them all up!" then I backhand all his pieces off the board. He complains that I do the same thing when we play monopoly. He needs to grow up and stop being such a crybaby.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Nonviolent J posted:

i dont think i ever made a coaster just used the premade ones

shuttleloop for life

it was actually kinda hard, the park goers were huge wimps and wouldn't ride your coasters if they were too intense. my own logic would be that if an amusement park spent millions of dollars to make a roller coaster then it was probably alright to ride so i'd get really frustrated when the park-goers refused to ride my awesome stuff that i spent like 45 minutes working on. although to be fair to them, odds are that like 6 months ago (in their time) a rollercoaster derailed and killed a bunch of people so in retrospect they probably were right to be skeptical of my designs.

i was also really into Sim City, especially 4 (i still think it's one of the best looking games ever made) but i always felt like it was missing proper ghetto functions. i would kill for a city sim game that let you actually make bad areas of towns where people would sell drugs and rob people rather than buildings just getting more grey and boarded up.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
i played Age of Kings online but would only play nr 20, or "No Rushing Allowed for 20 minutes so Everybody Can Build up an Army."

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I played a lot of Worms: Armageddon as a teen and I don’t know if it’s even meant to be played in any standard way.

Matches would always be one of two things: a match where each player would have X number of turns to dig/build a base before attacking began (unlimited drill/blowtorch/girder) or a match with super-extended unlimited ninja rope. I loved that loving rope and don’t even understand what the point of it was if you couldn’t acrobat anywhere in one turn in one go.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
Civ 2:

At the start of the game you can train warriors who are the most sucky fighting units in the game. I would play 2 player games just to find out how many warriors it took to destroy a modern tank. The answer is a ton.

Also nuking the world forever to recreate waterworld.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Blistex posted:

The original STALKER had a "fake ending" that fooled me for 2 years.
I knew a guy who thought Portal ended with you being lowered into the incinerator and apparently didn't think it was weird that there were no credits or anything

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I must have played through Pokemon four or five times, back to back as a kid and not once did I name my 'Mons.

They're tools, not friends. :colbert:

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Suicide chess is an interesting variant on the normal game. It's exactly like the normal game, except at the end of the game you shoot yourself in the head.

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Marmaduke! posted:

Suicide chess is an interesting variant on the normal game. It's exactly like the normal game, except at the end of the game you shoot yourself in the head.

:chloe:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I didn't understand the magick system in Eternal Darkness until around the last 80% of the game. I had no idea that the different colored spells gave different effects. Or that you could recharge your sanity.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

lemon-lyme disease posted:

I played a lot of Worms: Armageddon as a teen and I don’t know if it’s even meant to be played in any standard way.

Matches would always be one of two things: a match where each player would have X number of turns to dig/build a base before attacking began (unlimited drill/blowtorch/girder) or a match with super-extended unlimited ninja rope. I loved that loving rope and don’t even understand what the point of it was if you couldn’t acrobat anywhere in one turn in one go.

Am I crazy or couldn't you use the ninja rope in exactly that way in normal play as long as you kept releasing and relaunching in mid-air without touching the level geometry?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Depending on the rope's "power setting" in the particular scheme being played, you could have 1, 2, 3, or unlimited repeat swings.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Half-Life: at the end of the game, in the first Xen area, there is a simple jumping puzzle to get the player used to the jump boots and the lower gravity of Xen. I missed the explanation of the jump boots, so I used the kickback from the gauss gun to go backwards through the jumping puzzle.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
The original Portal had a section where you needed to enter a pipe that was just too high to jump into. You were supposed to portal redirect a missile to break open a transport tube and collect a cube to stand on. But I (and apparently several other players) just went back a few rooms, picked up one of the physics enabled prop chairs in one of the empty offices, and stood on that instead.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
in Civ V I always played as Egypt so I could farm wonders and I almost always won games overwhelmingly by culture victories

then I found out you can play online against real people

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Turdsdown Tom posted:

in Civ V I always played as Egypt so I could farm wonders and I almost always won games overwhelmingly by culture victories

then I found out you can play online against real people

If sandbox empire building is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Another og pokemon one: I was so stumped by the puzzle in lt surge's gym (which involves searching a small grid of trash cans for a randomly placed switch, then checking one of the adjacent cans for a second switch, which opens the door when you press it) that after multiple weekends of not being able to figure it out I gave up and just progressed through the entire rest of the game until I got blocked from going to victory road because I hadn't beaten that gym. After dicking around grinding my charizard to 100 I finally went back and had another go, and got it within a couple minutes despite not doing anything different.

I remembered this because right now I'm playing through red again for the first time since it was new and I solved it after a couple tries this time. Depending on where the first switch spawns you've either got a 1/2, 1/3, or 1/4 chance of successfully finding the second one, and since it pretty clearly spells out what you had to do to solve it, I figure I was just miserably/astronomically unlucky during my original playthrough.

This is particularly wrong because getting the badge from that gym is what allows you to fast travel between cities and I wasn't even aware that was what Fly did until after I finally beat the fucker.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Also I killed Ryu's dad in Breath of Fire 2

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

WWF Royal Rumble for Sega Genesis. If a wrestler left the ring the referee would begin a 10 count, and anyone outside of the ring when he reached 10 would lose by disqualification.

The scene: sold out Madison Square Garden. Hulk Hogan vs. The Ultimate Warrior. Been hyped for half a year, record sales of PPV. The match begins, and Hogan climbs out and stands idly as the referee begins the 10 count. Warrior appears confused, but as the count reaches 7 he climbs out in pursuit. Hogan knocks him down near a corner with a weak flip, then rolls back into the ring. The ref reaches 10 and Hogan raises his arms in triumph.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

GoutPatrol posted:

I didn't understand the magick system in Eternal Darkness until around the last 80% of the game. I had no idea that the different colored spells gave different effects. Or that you could recharge your sanity.

IMO, refilling your sanity was playing it wrong. I liked seeing what kind of weird effects you’d get.

E: the first time I played it, I was convinced I was doing things wrong because the first six or so (I forget what order Edwin Lindsey appears in the chapters) character whose pages you find die or are cursed horribly. It wasn’t until I hit like, the monk’s stage that I realized ‘oh, that’s supposed to happen.’

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 31, 2017

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

The Big Word posted:

Another og pokemon one: I was so stumped by the puzzle in lt surge's gym (which involves searching a small grid of trash cans for a randomly placed switch, then checking one of the adjacent cans for a second switch, which opens the door when you press it) that after multiple weekends of not being able to figure it out I gave up and just progressed through the entire rest of the game until I got blocked from going to victory road because I hadn't beaten that gym. After dicking around grinding my charizard to 100 I finally went back and had another go, and got it within a couple minutes despite not doing anything different.

I remembered this because right now I'm playing through red again for the first time since it was new and I solved it after a couple tries this time. Depending on where the first switch spawns you've either got a 1/2, 1/3, or 1/4 chance of successfully finding the second one, and since it pretty clearly spells out what you had to do to solve it, I figure I was just miserably/astronomically unlucky during my original playthrough.

This is particularly wrong because getting the badge from that gym is what allows you to fast travel between cities and I wasn't even aware that was what Fly did until after I finally beat the fucker.

I thought you could use surf after beating surge and that's why you needed a pokemon with cut and one with surf sent to you before you could access the truck? Cinnabar gives fly I think.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

popewiles posted:

Am I crazy or couldn't you use the ninja rope in exactly that way in normal play as long as you kept releasing and relaunching in mid-air without touching the level geometry?

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Depending on the rope's "power setting" in the particular scheme being played, you could have 1, 2, 3, or unlimited repeat swings.

This. I know it’s hard to believe, but there are people out there who feel unlimited ninja rope is “unfair” and “cheap” and “what is wrong with you that you’ve played this enough to do those flips?”

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If unlimited ninja-rope is wrong, I don't want to be right.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
i played sc2 for years online as a sort of desperation attempt to get as many kills as possible right away, usually as a ling rushing Zerg player or a reaper rushing Terran player. I considered using conventional (sensible, working) strategies that other people used to be "being a copycat" who "wasn't original enough"

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Chomp8645 posted:

If unlimited ninja-rope is wrong, I don't want to be right.

The very best kind of wrong.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Sid Vicious posted:

I thought you could use surf after beating surge and that's why you needed a pokemon with cut and one with surf sent to you before you could access the truck? Cinnabar gives fly I think.

Nah you got surf use from koga and it was the gateway to Cinnibar island so it showed up late.

Surge does provide fly, cut was needed to go through rock tunnel allowing you to reach surf legitimately.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

FoolyCharged posted:

Nah you got surf use from koga and it was the gateway to Cinnibar island so it showed up late.

Surge does provide fly, cut was needed to go through rock tunnel allowing you to reach surf legitimately.

Oh man I don't remember it nearly as well as I thought i did

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
I couldn't figure out what the hell to do in whatever Colony Wars I played; maybe it was because I was 8 at the time. I should see how that one emulates on my crappy computer.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
I never understood the research screen in Theme Park, so I'd build these huge rear end Theme Parks full of endless bouncy castles, ghost trains, tree houses, hook-a-ducks and trees. Seemed to work okay!

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.

Sid Vicious posted:

The pro-strat to reach the truck earlier was to lose while on the boat. It would reset you to the shore within the area with the truck.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Disgusting Coward posted:

I never understood the research screen in Theme Park, so I'd build these huge rear end Theme Parks full of endless bouncy castles, ghost trains, tree houses, hook-a-ducks and trees. Seemed to work okay!

I think you should raise the price of your Hook-a-Duck by about 581.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
As a kid playing the demo version of Daggerfall, I would just keep going back to the Tower of Ashsly, because there was a room close to the entrance with several piles of treasure. Also, the trip to town and back took a little bit longer than needed for the treasure piles to respawn, so I would just keep going back and forth, getting supremely rich with a minimum of actual gameplay.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Hyrax Attack! posted:

WWF Royal Rumble for Sega Genesis. If a wrestler left the ring the referee would begin a 10 count, and anyone outside of the ring when he reached 10 would lose by disqualification.

The scene: sold out Madison Square Garden. Hulk Hogan vs. The Ultimate Warrior. Been hyped for half a year, record sales of PPV. The match begins, and Hogan climbs out and stands idly as the referee begins the 10 count. Warrior appears confused, but as the count reaches 7 he climbs out in pursuit. Hogan knocks him down near a corner with a weak flip, then rolls back into the ring. The ref reaches 10 and Hogan raises his arms in triumph.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Hyrax Attack! posted:

CAH is alright for a quick game, it's just an Apples to Apples reskin.

CAH is not alright when playing with people who instead of playing first to five points, believe it is more fun to not stop until the deck (and at least one expansion) is exhausted. Made worse by one of the hosts being nearly illiterate yet insistent on playing a game based around building sentences.

I, uh, I don't want to play CAH ever again.

The worst is playing with someone too embarrassed to pick certain cards so when they're the judge, they pick throw aways. For example, "My favorite sex position is ____" and they pick "potato" over "not enjoyable for dogs"

It's a fun game but there's only so much "heehee that one implies you're a rapist" you can take before it's boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

The worst is playing with someone too embarrassed to pick certain cards so when they're the judge, they pick throw aways. For example, "My favorite sex position is ____" and they pick "potato" over "not enjoyable for dogs"

It's a fun game but there's only so much "heehee that one implies you're a rapist" you can take before it's boring

it's boring if you just play with your friends because odds are your friends are at least internet savvy enough to have grosser, more vulgar senses of humor than people did 30 or so years ago. everybody our age is mostly desensitized to shock humor

it really shines at family gatherings when mom, dad, aunt, and uncle have had a few drinks and you get a big range of people playing

i was over at my friends place for thanksgiving a few years ago and his sister busted CAH out and got the whole extended family got to playing and it was pretty funny seeing grandma laugh at necrophilia jokes

• Locked thread