Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

During our younger, dumber years there were games that confused us. Post stories about misguided playing experiences.

SimCity 2000: When 8 year old me unwrapped this Christmas gift I was thrilled with the idea of my first city building game, and carefully read the back of the box that promised I could build vast metropolises, call down natural disasters, and if I didn't like how my airport was doing, fire the air traffic controllers.

Not understanding a joke about Reagan's policies, I spent many hours zoning airports and carefully clicking on every building searching for a "fire employees" button.

Rebel Assault: There is a level where you fly a snowspeeder through an ice cavern chasing a probe droid. This level is a maze with branching paths and you need to go left-left-right-left-left. I didn't catch on and flew endlessly through the caverns, thinking I needed to shoot every possible enemy and eventually dying from collision damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
that one is basically from last year because I'm a colossal idiot :

Binary Domain : you can buy little nanomachine implants for your squad that make them better at some things here and there, most aren't really significant, like it's a +10 damage resistance or whatever, but I finished that game like 4 times before I realized I had to actually equip those in a menu, and just buying them isn't enough to get the effects. So I finished the game several times on super hardcore difficulty with a handicap because I'm a real dumb dumb.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Super Mario Bros 3 - I never pressed the B button

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i loving suck at the new xcom games

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Knockout Game- I'm white

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Raise your hand if you spent hours spam clicking every enemy in Diablo 2 until you realized you could just hold down the mouse button to continuously auto attack.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

craps. i thought you were supposed to put the dice in your butt

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chomp8645 posted:

Raise your hand if you spent hours spam clicking every enemy in Diablo 2 until you realized you could just hold down the mouse button to continuously auto attack.

Yeah that was me.

I have a friend that still spam clicks to move to this day and knows full well he can just hold it down but spam clicks anyway and it bugs the crap out of me lol.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Magic: The Gathering. When I started playing in like 1995, I thought you had to keep the mana tapped, so my deck was like 90% mana

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
mucho money maps on starcraft got me hooked on internet gaming

installing the quake 1 mod deathmatch extras and grappling hooking dudes to death made me the man I am today

pathetic

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Everquest: A friend thought that you could loot the corpses of any dead enemy, but he didn’t know this only worked if you had killed the creature. So I watched him wander an open world playing CSI: Everquest, inspecting endless dead creatures but not being able to loot them, as I wondered what the hell was the big deal about MMOs.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Iron Crowned posted:

Magic: The Gathering. When I started playing in like 1995, I thought you had to keep the mana tapped, so my deck was like 90% mana

Paper magic in the 90's is cheating. Absolutely nobody played it correctly.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
THE GAME OF LIFE

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

i knew that and still went to click city

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Thought I could only depress the A button once for my whole playthrough of Super Mario 64

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

myDad posted:

Thought I could only depress the A button once for my whole playthrough of Super Mario 64

I feel like there is a joke here but I don't get it.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chomp8645 posted:

I feel like there is a joke here but I don't get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpk2tdsPh0A

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I got Warcraft 2 for Christmas as a kid, and I made my grunt manually attack and kill all my workers and set the village on fire and thought it was the coolest game ever

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I have an overwhelming urge to find this nerd and give him a 0.5 punch, which is here you forcefully apply your fist to someone's face but DON'T release.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
true story when i first got a PC and played Glover on it I thought to press the ALT button you had to press A L and T at the same time

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
When I was like 5 I was playing Jeopardy for NES, and I didn't know what negative numbers were yet so I thought the game was rewarding me for giving wrong answers. drat I was dominating that game.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
SimLife - I still have no idea how you play this, or if it was even a game. I just drew monsters in the sprite editor.

false flag post-op
May 13, 2009

Enjoy Every Sandvich
X-wing: had a copy from a "friend" and with no manual didn't realize I could change the power to regen lasers or shields. Got pretty good at hitting things in the early stages so I didn't waste my ammo.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Martman posted:

When I was like 5 I was playing Jeopardy for NES, and I didn't know what negative numbers were yet so I thought the game was rewarding me for giving wrong answers. drat I was dominating that game.

In Star Wars: Rebellion I built a Death Star and systemically began destroying the universe, Rebel, Imperial, neutral, every planet got vaporized.

My galactic approval rating went into the sewer, but as the game was poorly made once I reached rock bottom approval scores, they glitched and every planet loved me.

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l

Zorodius posted:

SimLife - I still have no idea how you play this, or if it was even a game. I just drew monsters in the sprite editor.

I'm not sure if anybody really 100% knows how to play SimLife. The game is just that baffling.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Hyrax Attack! posted:

In Star Wars: Rebellion I built a Death Star and systemically began destroying the universe, Rebel, Imperial, neutral, every planet got vaporized.

My galactic approval rating went into the sewer, but as the game was poorly made once I reached rock bottom approval scores, they glitched and every planet loved me.

Glitch? Buddy, that’s totalitarianism

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.
Monopoly: house rule was to start with 5 of each bill. No wonder games never ended.

Final Fantasy: my brother and I would buy weapons and armor but didn't know what it meant to equip something. Our go-to party was 4 red mages because they had more HP than black mages and could learn FIRE.

Final Fantasy: I was convinced that beating Garland and crossing over the bridge was the end of the game, because it rolled the credits. Man I was a dumb kid.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It took me 75 hours to beat Megaman Legends 1 as a kid.

There's a point where you need to take the underground ruins into an inaccessible part of the city, but I had no idea I was supposed to do that, and the hint character gives a really vague clue at that point. So I spent hours playing that game just loving around, exploring the underground ruins, seeing all the poo poo you could do in the eastern part of the city, I hosed around for like 50 loving hours.

After loving around in the underground ruins long enough, I found an exit I hadn't seen before. I took it up and a cutscene played, I don't think I have ever felt more accomplished or happy since that point.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Spore: I played the space phase

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Starcraft: Just save all your money, you'll probably need it later.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Deus Ex - Played it for an hour on the PC, couldn't figure out the gently caress I was supposed to be doing. So I returned it and got the PC version of Final Fantasy 8 instead.

Final Fantasy 8 - Relied entirely on summons and never junctioned anything.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

it took me forever to beat mega man legends as a kid because i didn't know about circlestrafing

also gently caress the purple frog fight, that sucked as a kid. and gently caress the lake jyun dungeon with the freaky invisible stabbing murder robots, those were scary as poo poo.

it's my favorite game ever but there's a ton of pacing bullshit in it. you fight one tutorial boss, get to the main island and shoot some snakes, and then the immediate next thing you have to do is this boss rush gauntlet starting with the servbots in their blumbears, then tron in her spider bot thing, then an action defense sequence against more servbots as they attack city hall, then you fight a giant floating baby voiced by pikachu, then rush through a forest full of loving tanks before finally facing off against teisel in the marlwolf, a construction robot thing as big as a house. this is all before the first main dungeon so unless you've gone out of your way to get the Powered Buster (which is only available between Bon and Tiesel so it only helps you for the last one of these fights) your only weapons are some lovely mines and your barely-upgraded regular arm buster

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
Diablo 2 - played as a necromancer and put stats in strength. Called myself a *Strength Necromancer* and melee'd my way to the end of the game. My brother didnt like playing with me.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Solar Tornado posted:

Diablo 2 - played as a necromancer and put stats in strength. Called myself a *Strength Necromancer* and melee'd my way to the end of the game. My brother didnt like playing with me.

I did that too. Necros own

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

phasmid posted:

Starcraft: Just save all your money, you'll probably need it later.

tbqh, being horribly stingy with money, ammo, healthpack and all that is a mistake I still make to this day. I blame RE, RE2 and RE3 for that.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Solar Tornado posted:

what the gently caress?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

L.A. Noire: Instead of tediously driving across Los Angeles to crime scenes you can let your partner "do the driving" to warp to the location. I thought if I let him drive I would have to sit there and watch the computer drive the car for ten minutes, so I never tried it.

Battletoads We would Game Genie to the final stage where you are at the base of the Dark Queen's tower and there is a rhino with an axe to defeat before ascending. We just endlessly fought each other and the rhino without trying to finish the stage. It was much more fun than playing as intended.

Tomato Burger posted:

Final Fantasy: my brother and I would buy weapons and armor but didn't know what it meant to equip something. Our go-to party was 4 red mages because they had more HP than black mages and could learn FIRE.

Final Fantasy: I was convinced that beating Garland and crossing over the bridge was the end of the game, because it rolled the credits. Man I was a dumb kid.

Haha dang. We believed the ideal party was a fighter, thief, and white/black mages. We thought the weakling thief helped us "escape from battles", but his uselessness in combat made the game too hard. I finally tried an all-fighter party and it was like playing on easy mode.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Chrono Trigger

I never recruited the frog

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
When I was a kid I was terrified of having my party wiped out in RPGs, so I fought only the bare minimum of battles I could get away with. Cue me being massively underpowered for huge chunks of a game, and me dying anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Every open world game ever: spend ages doing stupid sidequests and collect-a-thons and either : (a) get bored of the game and never finish the main storyline; or (b) end up way over-powered and breeze through the second half (thereby removing dramatic tension, etc.).

• Locked thread