Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Big Beef City posted:

describe a way in which 'direct conflict' between two super powers happens 'pretty easily'.

"it was too much effort NOT to have war"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGxAYeeyoIc

tl;dw at 1:50

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Big Beef City posted:

describe a way in which 'direct conflict' between two super powers happens 'pretty easily'.

I watched the civil war documentary and it looks like the entire thing blew up pretty easily over a stupid disagreement and some misunderstanding. Unless you don't consider tony stark superpowered but that's semantics really.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
The USA is totally gay for war.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ww1 could be described as a war between major powers that happened "pretty easily". one month from the assassination of franz ferdinand to the first declaration of war between austria and serbia, and the chain reaction bringing in all of the other countries happened over the course of like two or three days after that

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I’ve played nearly every Total War game (Including Total War: Warhammer)

Let me tell you how a war between China and the US would shake out

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

asap if possible

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

Good News everybody! The war is over. I think we won...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upQ0C4ZkMX0

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Time to bring are troops home.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Is joining the army the only way to get an annual free breakfast at Denny’s or are there other ways?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Big Beef City posted:

China decides to close/restrict the Panama Canal.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

spacetoaster posted:

China decides to close/restrict the Panama Canal.

how is this "pretty easy" in any conceivable way, and why does china have a rational purpose to do it?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Klyith posted:

how is this "pretty easy" in any conceivable way, and why does china have a rational purpose to do it?

Pretty easy as in China controls both ends of the canal right now and the Panamanian government has been warming up to China for years (like recently decided that Taiwan isn't a country anymore).

As for rational purpose? To put pressure on the US and/or limit strategic options.

I didn't say it was going to happen tomorrow, or ever. Just that it's one way I can see a future conflict blooming pretty loving fast if it ever happened.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

china controls both ends? what?

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Dandywalken posted:

china controls both ends? what?

I think it is an argument that Panama is a Chinese satellite state and both ends mean the two sides that are Panama.

I don’t buy it.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Is this news? The US military (specifically Southcom) has been freaking out about this for years (and a bunch of other stuff South of the USA).

https://www.stltoday.com/opinion/ed...1e945c2e1c.html

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

is there a Kamala remix?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
chinese construction companies are doing work on building new locks for the canal and operating services

if you are infected by fox news brainworms that means that china "controls" them, because I guess they are putting secret controls in there so the gates and pumps only respond to beijing remote control

what it really means is that china ran out of places to pour lovely crumbling concrete in china, so for the last decade and a bit they've been going around the world offering lowest-bidder services. generally in ways that leave people with poo poo that's both useless and a giant pile of debt.

e:

spacetoaster posted:

The US military (specifically Southcom) has been freaking out about this for years

I see why the military would freak out about it, after all this means all the port service bribes and kickbacks are now going to chinese generals, rather than US admirals and a fatass malaysian

Klyith fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 31, 2021

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

what makes chinese concrete so bad?

aside from :911:

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Outrail posted:

Why are you always trying to pick fights over the most inane poo poo?

For real tho. In here, and many other threads.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

A war between america and china would involve chinas equipment exlploding on use due to contractor corner-cutting, and america enthusiastically bombing their own warships due to over-encoding of orders.

Both sides will go way overboard on the emps and basically shut the whole planet down, making everyone else apoplectic at us as sanctions come from every last corner of the earth and neither country gets support from anyone.

We spend the next 2 years sheepishly fixing all the power plants and transformers and poo poo so that the imports of german cars and anime can once again resume.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVrge6iZt_E&t=48s

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Is joining the army the only way to get an annual free breakfast at Denny’s or are there other ways?

sure

steal valor :evilbuddy:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Probably big old wars happen because of that thing where twenty annoying things happen to you in a day and the guy at the drive thru gets your order wrong and you throw a poo poo-fit that goes viral over your fries being cold. Except, you know, on a bigger scale.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I’ve played nearly every Total War game (Including Total War: Warhammer)

Let me tell you how a war between China and the US would shake out

China and Russia won't be out until Total War: Warhammer III. It's way too early to try and figure out how you'd fight them with a Dark Elf army.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
please call china by its proper name, east taiwan

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Torquemada posted:

Probably big old wars happen because of that thing where twenty annoying things happen to you in a day and the guy at the drive thru gets your order wrong and you throw a poo poo-fit that goes viral over your fries being cold. Except, you know, on a bigger scale.

We're the goateed guy in the oakleys bravely telling it like it is in the comfort of our f350 cab

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Klyith posted:

chinese construction companies are doing work on building new locks for the canal and operating services

if you are infected by fox news brainworms that means that china "controls" them, because I guess they are putting secret controls in there so the gates and pumps only respond to beijing remote control

Fox news and secret controls? Wtf kinda poo poo are you on about?

There's thousands of Chinese staff operating deep water ports at both ends of the canal and I'm just throwing some ideas out for how there could be a massive conflict in the future.

You don't have to get so worked up over a literal GBS BS session.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The idea that WW1 or 2 were "unexpected" is BS. WW1 in particular is treated as this crazy thing and/or a cascading chain of alliances. It was not. It wasn't even "everyone wanted a war." The UK wanted status quo, Tsar Nicky wanted peace, and even France was cooling down on the revanchism. The german government wanted a war, they saw their chance. They even sent the idiot inferiority-complexed Kaiser on a pleasure cruise for part of the crisis to engineer the war. The "no one saw it coming" thing is post-war mythologizing, aided by the desire to rehabilitate the Second Reich after the Third happened.

Also, ignoring the reasons a defense corporation might want to convince the US government it needs more weapons, these wargames are deliberately staged to put the "blue" side on the back foot. It's the same stupid poo poo as the Millenium Challenge that still gets cited, where teleporting invincible motorcycle couriers defeated modern forms of communications in a truly brilliant strategy.

I get americans have an America-centric worldview where their idiots must be the dumbest that ever were or will be. But these things aren't intended to be demonstrations of power. In a real war, the other militaries are the same idiots as the US had. And it's so dumb to wank over the US "losing" brushfire wars. All the brushfires wars fail, and in all cases, the people of the smaller countries suffer mountains of civilian bodies to a few thousand military dead from the invaders. Blowing poo poo up conventionally is the main thing the major militaries are good at. It's like after the Solemaini assassination when people wanked to the US "losing" to Iran. The US would lose a regime-change invasion. Iran would also suffer massive civilian casualties to maybe five digits of dead US military.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 31, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

China and Russia won't be out until Total War: Warhammer III. It's way too early to try and figure out how you'd fight them with a Dark Elf army.

I'm very worried about Cathay's use of facial recognition technology

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

Klyith posted:

what it really means is that china ran out of places to pour lovely crumbling concrete in china, so for the last decade and a bit they've been going around the world offering lowest-bidder services. generally in ways that leave people with poo poo that's both useless and a giant pile of debt.

From your own article:

quote:

When Mr. Djukanovic first floated the idea, several foreign companies, including Bechtel, the American engineering and construction giant, expressed an interest. Bechtel proposed a more modest and less costly project but lost out to a more expansive and far more expensive proposal from China Road and Bridge Corporation.

The swindle is not promising a cheap highway and then failing to deliver a functioning highway, there are easier ways to make a quick buck for the biggest construction force in the world. Despite you thinking it's some "fox brainworms poo poo", the reason is actually control, or rather influence. They want to be able to ship Chinese consumer goods all over Europe and they're setting up the infrastructure to do it. Building the road and creating the terms of the deal is a good way to ensure it always stays open.

A Jupiter fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 31, 2021

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The idea that WW1 or 2 were "unexpected" is BS. WW1 in particular is treated as this crazy thing and/or a cascading chain of alliances. It was not. It wasn't even "everyone wanted a war." The UK wanted status quo, Tsar Nicky wanted peace, and even France was cooling down on the revanchism. The german government wanted a war, they saw their chance. They even sent the idiot inferiority-complexed Kaiser on a pleasure cruise for part of the crisis to engineer the war. The "no one saw it coming" thing is post-war mythologizing, aided by the desire to rehabilitate the Second Reich after the Third happened.

if this is a response to my post (which i assume it is since no one else mentioned ww1) what i actually said was that the war happened "pretty easily", in the literal sense that the period of time between the assassination and actual declarations of war (and actual fighting) was a period of one month. i didn't say that it was "unexpected" or a "crazy thing" that "no one saw coming", it was quite the opposite and im well aware of the tensions that led to the war, but it seems like you have a whole prepared spiel about second reich apologia (?) you need to get off your chest.

also i think the part of ww1 that is generally considered "unexpected" is the length and grueling nature of the war, far more than its initial outbreak. i dont think the assassination was much of a surprise either.

im not even sure how the idea of surprise entered into this. i dont think a war between the us and china would be unexpected either, but it would be massively stupid and awful.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 31, 2021

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Call Your Grandma posted:

what makes chinese concrete so bad?

aside from :911:

Short answer: it’s probably not significantly worse than other concrete, but a few big incidents lately have shown that China is “diluting” their concrete, though to what degree is unclear.

Longer answer: concrete is just water, cement, and aggregate. Aggregate is usually a combination of crushed gravel and sand, plus various other things. Sand is fairly cheap some places, not so much others. Apparently China had at some point been using untreated sand from the ocean as an aggregate. I’m not a geologist, but from what I understand this isn’t the best aggregate and was prone to breaking down the concrete over time. This was one of those things that was hard to tell when it was being done, but noticeable after buildings started to fall apart because of it. It’s hard to say how much this was actually done by China, whether it was widespread or just a few companies trying to save a buck, but it was a big enough deal that many international partners got spooked and China got a reputation (possibly fairly, possibly as part of an organized smear campaign) of delivering low quality concrete.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I think if "China" as a whole had really lovely materials and construction processes we would see a lot more news about chinese buildings and infrastructure falling apart due to poor engineering. I mean, we do see a lot of cases of that but proportionally per capita we probably see more stories about US-based construction failures than Chinese ones.

I don't doubt that there's a lot of bad construction in China but with 17% of the entire world's population living there you have myriad opportunities to find examples of bad anything.

As with everything else the key to success in finding a contractor seems to be making sure that you don't do business with anyone who has a criminal history of tax evasion, fraud, and bribery.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 31, 2021

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Well a quick Google search seems to back what you said isn't happening. There's been multiple building collapses just this year in China...

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/politics/article/3141518/eight-dead-china-building-site-collapse

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You can view a full list of documented building collapses and what country they were in here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_structural_failures_and_collapses

China has had 6 documented building collapses from 2020-2021 which is one per 316 million population
The US has had two in the same time frame which is one per 166 million population.

The US collapses have also been far more deadly both per capita and in raw numbers if we assume the Chinese mortality numbers are to be trusted but who knows if that's the case :shrug:

edit: Though I concede that this is only what country the buildings were in and not what country the materials came from which I have no idea how to track.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 31, 2021

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I understand why a lot of people would want to rationalize away their fears, but I'm not sure that helps with reality sometimes.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The moral of the story is that if we had let Bugs Bunny saw Florida off into the ocean for real, we would be better than China about deaths due to poor construction, but the sole inclusion of Florida makes us worse than China. Florida is so bad that it outpaces China in raw number of construction-related deaths on its own.

One out of every 23.7 milion people in China died to a building collapse in the last year, meanwhile one out of every 220,000 people in Florida died to a building collapse in the last year.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 31, 2021

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

i think doing per capita analysis with single digit denominators is a bit misleading

If the US had just one less building collapse, then the figure would be 1 in 328 million pop, which is now "safer" than China.
Similarly if China was to go from 6 to 7 collapses, it would 1 in 199 million pop. The figures you posted are actually within spitting distance of each other.

The more interesting statistical anomaly is why a wikipedia editor can find sources for 6 building collapses in China in 2020-2021, but none in the years 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019
, and only one bridge collapse in 2018. :iiam:

A Jupiter fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 31, 2021

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Given China and the CCP's history of open transparency, I'm sure every major structural failure is reported correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

A Jupiter posted:

i think doing per capita analysis with single digit denominators is a bit misleading

If the US had just one less building collapse, then the figure would be 1 in 328 million pop, which is now "safer" than China.
Similarly if China was to go from 6 to 7 collapses, it would 1 in 199 million pop. The figures you posted are actually within spitting distance of each other.

The more interesting statistical anomaly is why a wikipedia editor can find sources for 6 building collapses in China in 2020-2021, but none in the years 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019
, and only one bridge collapse in 2018. :iiam:

That's fair, I just figured population was the best way to estimate number of total buildings.

I am not a fan of CCP by any means but I do not believe bad construction is a uniquely Chinese problem, and based on how large their population is (and therefore how many buildings are needed to house them) they do not have an exceptionally large number of known structural collapses.

Outrail posted:

Given China and the CCP's history of open transparency, I'm sure every major structural failure is reported correctly.

A collapsed building is pretty hard to hide from things like satellite imaging and distant seismographs, it's not a number that's easy to fudge. Not saying it's not happening but it's not as easy as like, not counting COVID deaths.