Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

pretty much any given woman is smarter than any given dude in ippo

like almost all of them have grown-rear end adult jobs and the vast majority are extremely rational people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Meanwhile the dudes are making dick jokes and convincing each other that maybe brain damage is good, actually

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

That Works posted:

I think Mashiba and maybe Kimura are probably the only actual intelligent people in the manga right?
I'm sure Woli is also a rocket scientist super genius poker champion

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

i hope if they revisit woli he left his coach to return to his island because he got bored of boxing and doesnt do it anymore

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

mabels big day posted:

i hope if they revisit woli he left his coach to return to his island because he got bored of boxing and doesnt do it anymore

Woli ended up running a software pirating ring out of Indonesia and is now an elusive millionaire wanted by Interpol

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Ippo fought a doctor once

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Billzasilver posted:

Ippo fought a doctor once

thematic appropriateness

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

tbp posted:

thematic appropriateness

hahaha

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Woli is in Ippo's weight class still as far as I know, so maybe we'll see him again.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

Woli is in Ippo's weight class still as far as I know, so maybe we'll see him again.

Kamogawa stated he would not let Ippo fight him again. On the grounds that he does not think Ippo would ever win in a rematch.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

MonsterEnvy posted:

Kamogawa stated he would not let Ippo fight him again. On the grounds that he does not think Ippo would ever win in a rematch.

Lol. That's so...Wow. I don't think I'll ever find the words for that.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

Lol. That's so...Wow. I don't think I'll ever find the words for that.

Look as long as he never, ever returns I don’t care how dumb the reason is.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Asuron posted:

Look as long as he never, ever returns I don’t care how dumb the reason is.

That's basically admitting that Ippo is a complete mediocre joke of a boxer though. Like, a better one would be that Woli would be a waste of his time as a non-boxer.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

doomrider7 posted:

That's basically admitting that Ippo is a complete mediocre joke of a boxer though.

Well... he's not wrong

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tbp posted:

over and over the comedy aspects of this manga are top tier. an entire gag on miyata not knowing how to do basic math and being embarassed about it owns

I like having the "elite athlete" prince-trope character not magically be some all-around genius.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

edit: whoops, didn't mean to double-post

doomrider7 posted:

That's basically admitting that Ippo is a complete mediocre joke of a boxer though. Like, a better one would be that Woli would be a waste of his time as a non-boxer.

Nah, Ippo is still good, even if he's not good enough for the top of the world or w/e. Like, against most other professional boxers Ippo is capable of weaving around their punches. It's just that we only see him fighting these top-tier people (and the manga is kind of forced to make almost every fight high stakes in some way, so chapters aren't wasted with Ippo one-sidedly wrecking people).

The main dumb thing about Ippo's fighting is the Dempsey Roll.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Ytlaya posted:

edit: whoops, didn't mean to double-post

Nah, Ippo is still good, even if he's not good enough for the top of the world or w/e. Like, against most other professional boxers Ippo is capable of weaving around their punches. It's just that we only see him fighting these top-tier people (and the manga is kind of forced to make almost every fight high stakes in some way, so chapters aren't wasted with Ippo one-sidedly wrecking people).

The main dumb thing about Ippo's fighting is the Dempsey Roll.

The thing is, having jobber fights are GOOD. And the thing was is that at the end we were seeing Ippo fight jobber-level dudes and basically still not just clean their clock. Turns out as fans we just wanna see the boxers show off and loving hammer it in. No one complained that Mashiba not only didn't get destroyed fighting his last match, but that he loving destroyed it.

Ippo's supposed to be an in-fighter using a Peekaboo style boxing to weave and avoid blows before laying it in with the power. There are actually so few Hajime no Ippo fights that reflect that. It's not that Ippo shouldn't take hits from top contenders, it's that there's any fighters where he's not taking hits. So he just seems bad at boxing. And the one time he definitively shut down his opponent and crushed him, Coach was like "That wasn't Boxing"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Onmi posted:

The thing is, having jobber fights are GOOD. And the thing was is that at the end we were seeing Ippo fight jobber-level dudes and basically still not just clean their clock.

Almost all of Ippo's last fights were National Champions.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Almost all of Ippo's last fights were National Champions.

And that means...? You splice in some jobber fights in between those fights, with the exclusion of the retirement fight for obvious reasons, so that the national champion fights can...? Mean more. Yes.

Mike Tyson whom Ippo gets a lot of his style from, fought a lot of national champion level boxers, and you know what didn't happen to him? He didn't get hamburgered. Joe Fraiser who was definitely another inspiration didn't dodge everything with crazy head movement, but he had a very tight defense and unleashed in a moment.

The issue we have is Ippo's fighting style is meant to be "Peekaboo boxing with a tight guard, with erratic head and body movements to avoid strikes to get into range to unleash the pain."

Ippo doesn't fight like that though. Ippo fights by getting the poo poo beat out of him and turned into hamburger and then gutting through it looking like a dead man at the end. And because of this, because he's always fighting like this, no matter who his loving opponents are, that means the standard Ippo fight does not get to be defined as "Ippo's a good boxer" but instead "Ippo is a lovely boxer who's strategy never works"

Sisphar, Gedo, Kojima. All three of these fights, there's no reason he should have walked away without decisive victories. Instead, he walked away with the poo poo kicked out of him.

Everyone can talk about how boring it is that Takamura gets as many jobber fights as does, but those Jobber fights help establish that when he's against world-class opponents like Hawk and Eagle, that those opponents are special for being able to push him as far as they can. In contrast, Ippo never gets Jobber fights, so he as champion looks weak, because even people who he should roundly crush, are taking to pain town.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Well he did get the Korean guy before Bryan Hawk by a lucky Dempsey.

But the only proper jobber crush was against Karasawa. Like 500 chapters ago, so everyone forgot about it. And what a surprise, it was the fight where he decided to seal the demspey roll and stick to the basics.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Onmi posted:

And that means...? You splice in some jobber fights in between those fights, with the exclusion of the retirement fight for obvious reasons, so that the national champion fights can...? Mean more. Yes.

Mike Tyson whom Ippo gets a lot of his style from, fought a lot of national champion level boxers, and you know what didn't happen to him? He didn't get hamburgered. Joe Fraiser who was definitely another inspiration didn't dodge everything with crazy head movement, but he had a very tight defense and unleashed in a moment.

The issue we have is Ippo's fighting style is meant to be "Peekaboo boxing with a tight guard, with erratic head and body movements to avoid strikes to get into range to unleash the pain."

Ippo doesn't fight like that though. Ippo fights by getting the poo poo beat out of him and turned into hamburger and then gutting through it looking like a dead man at the end. And because of this, because he's always fighting like this, no matter who his loving opponents are, that means the standard Ippo fight does not get to be defined as "Ippo's a good boxer" but instead "Ippo is a lovely boxer who's strategy never works"

Sisphar, Gedo, Kojima. All three of these fights, there's no reason he should have walked away without decisive victories. Instead, he walked away with the poo poo kicked out of him.

Everyone can talk about how boring it is that Takamura gets as many jobber fights as does, but those Jobber fights help establish that when he's against world-class opponents like Hawk and Eagle, that those opponents are special for being able to push him as far as they can. In contrast, Ippo never gets Jobber fights, so he as champion looks weak, because even people who he should roundly crush, are taking to pain town.

I remember being annoyed and dissatisfied with Ippo vs Sanada (the doctor). I know it was a movie fight so they had to punch it up, and that Sanada wasn't a pushover, but this was coming right off of Ippo beating Sendo who may as well have been the strongest man in the world, and here's Ippo getting absolutely demolished, gasping for air, and not even being able to put the doctor down decisively with the full Dempsey combo. Did he not improve at all? Where has this doctor been all this time? And that was even before all of the other ridiculous fights like Gedo and Shimabukuro who Ippo should've been able to clown on. Definitely a case of wanting to make every fight to be epic, but with no dramatic contrast between them, it just feels stagnant.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

This was the most realistic part of this boxing manga. Part of a manager/coach's job is choosing fights good for your fighter.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

FutureCop posted:

Where has this doctor been all this time?.

Busy being the champ in the weight class below ippo? He did what takamura does and relinquished his belt to move up

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

:nws: Chapter 1282 :nws:

The return of Ippo's junk.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
a kimura plot?? how long has it been??

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

FutureCop posted:

I remember being annoyed and dissatisfied with Ippo vs Sanada (the doctor). I know it was a movie fight so they had to punch it up, and that Sanada wasn't a pushover, but this was coming right off of Ippo beating Sendo who may as well have been the strongest man in the world, and here's Ippo getting absolutely demolished, gasping for air, and not even being able to put the doctor down decisively with the full Dempsey combo. Did he not improve at all? Where has this doctor been all this time? And that was even before all of the other ridiculous fights like Gedo and Shimabukuro who Ippo should've been able to clown on. Definitely a case of wanting to make every fight to be epic, but with no dramatic contrast between them, it just feels stagnant.

Sanada was the Jr Feather Champion. That is where he had been the whole time.

Edit: On the current chapter. Kimura really needs to go up a weight class, he really should have just said he would race with Aoki instead of staying at Jr Light.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 20, 2019

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

MonsterEnvy posted:

Sanada was the Jr Feather Champion. That is where he had been the whole time.

Edit: On the current chapter. Kimura really needs to go up a weight class, he really should have just said he would race with Aoki instead of staying at Jr Light.

IIRC Kimura's said that he'd never go up a weight class so he wouldn't have to compete with Aoki

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CharlestonJew posted:

IIRC Kimura's said that he'd never go up a weight class so he wouldn't have to compete with Aoki

I know that, but he really should. It's just not viable for him to stay where he is anymore.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Didn’t know they had these things but it makes perfect sense for the length of the series. They’re “Best Bout” books with just the chapters for specific fights. The two here are Ippo vs Jimmy Sisphar and Takamura vs David Eagle. Price looks to be about the cost of 2-3 volumes, not sure how much a normal volume costs in Japan these days.

Like this kind of thing is cool enough and collected enough that I might get myself a few on Amazon Japan soon.

http://twitter.com/hermanos/status/1199706395223842816

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Chapter 1283 :nws:

Oh dear lord Takamura's shadow boxing...

Ippo making some bad choices here.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
drat kimura you live like this?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Hypocrisy posted:

Chapter 1283 :nws:

Oh dear lord Takamura's shadow boxing...

Ippo making some bad choices here.

Yeah no gently caress him at this point. What he's doing is loving criminally dangerous bullshit and Takamura's whole though process is uber macho bullshit with no basis in reality. Like I know this is not in any way a realistic series, but gently caress man COME ONE. This one here is jumping the shark right there.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Look he's just following Kamogawa's example of being an awful coach/second

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I always felt those were exaggerations but yeah this is one is taking it to the extreme.

Seriously that dream/promise is really loving stupid. You both lose all the drat time anyways. or tie.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah after this match Kimura needs to give up on Jr Light.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah after this match Kimura needs to give up

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I feel that this is yet another Kamogawa fuckup. Ippo never had to cut weight, he's clearly not qualified to handle someone else's weight cut and he's been poisoned by his coach's talk of "warrior spirit" and poo poo, so he's gonna acquiesce to what the boxer wants instead of making the call and withdrawing from the fight. Don't let the kid handle the hardest cut among professional boxers in your gym, FFS.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
If you cant go up to light weight for Aoki, go up two weight classes instead. Probably a better idea than what hes doing now.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Dias posted:

I feel that this is yet another Kamogawa fuckup. Ippo never had to cut weight, he's clearly not qualified to handle someone else's weight cut and he's been poisoned by his coach's talk of "warrior spirit" and poo poo, so he's gonna acquiesce to what the boxer wants instead of making the call and withdrawing from the fight. Don't let the kid handle the hardest cut among professional boxers in your gym, FFS.

i mean takamuras is significantly harder by all accounts

that said i dislike the shaved head!! i hope it goes away soon!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Why did ippo shave his own head this time? I mean he probably could've got there sooner if he had just shaved kimura's head. He didnt just buzz it either, he got it clean and put some shine on it.